Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    The Brain
    Hey, I've been preaching against the long match = good match narrative for years!

I'm at the point where I'm genuinely excited for Powerrr on a Tuesday evening now - possibly more than any show in the week.

I haven't caught Powerrr Live on Youtube, but I think I've watched it by the NXT starts the next night about 9 times out of 10 since it debuted. It's such an easy watch.

The Brain
    Same, I never watch live but it's real easy to pick up after the fact. I don't know or frankly care how it looks financially, it's great to have them on Youtube.

Not sure if I'll catch the thing they're posting tonight in lieu of a new Powerrr, some kind of episode about looking for new talent it sounds like?

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    I watched the new series (Circle Squared) and have a few mixed feelings about it.

The name doesn't do it for me. It doesn't feel good saying it. Even the guy doing the interviews seemed like he got tripped up a few times saying it. But this has nothing to do with the show.

The concept itself is pretty interesting. There's a ton of good indy talent out there and this is a great way to introduce a few new people to the mix outside of their regular programming. It sort of reminded me of TNA's Gut Check segments years ago, which was one of the things I enjoyed about Impact the few times I watched back then. The match on the show was decent, nothing spectacular.

They will have a voting element to the show so I wonder if those results are real or not in the long run. They also mentioned that "feedback" would also be taken into consideration which sounds kinda suspicious to me, but we'll see how that all turns out.

The part that I really disliked were the sections where they showed fans reacting to the episode. To be honest, I could care less about the fan reactions and opinions during a wrestling show itself. I guess I'm not in the age group where the ever-so-popular reaction videos are not fun to watch whatsoever. It's guess having this kind of interactivity is great in getting people to watch the show but having it scattered throughout the entire show was too much for me. I hope they either put that towards the end of the episodes so I can avoid watching those segments, or remove them altogether onto a separate show.
    Last edited by Degenerate; 1 Week Ago at 02:35 AM.

The Brain
    I did see some feedback already with fans saying it's pretty hard to vote with any confidence based on what you can see in a 3 minute tag match, so that could be some of the feedback they take on.

I think it's always been hard to effectively do a show like this, both Tough Enough and Gut Check had their moments but they were never effective at finding wrestlers who end up being a big deal. Doesn't hurt to try though, a pretty low stakes experiment that might pay off with something interesting.

Yeah, it's not quite what I expected it to be. But I guess we still don't know the parameters, do we? Like, is there a single winner, do several of these guys get a shot if they show promise, or what's the end goal here? It seems like maybe whomever shows promise will get picked up.

Based on what I saw last night, PJ doesn't know how to safely set up for a suplex (but he can dive off a balcony ) and he can only "play" pro wrestler at promo time. The other guys have a good intense promo and their work is solid, I'd probably keep them around but I didn't see much in the father and son.

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    Yeah, I thought the team of Dean and Neal did a lot better overal than the Hawx family, even though they didn't win the match. I wouldn't mind them being a part of the NWA tag team division, it looks like they would fit in well there.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    I think it's always been hard to effectively do a show like this, both Tough Enough and Gut Check had their moments but they were never effective at finding wrestlers who end up being a big deal.
    Most wrestlers who could wind up being a big deal wouldn't have to go through shows like this!

It's still a good foot in the door for some people to have some bigger exposure than they're used to, although I'm not sure what size of the current NWA viewing audience is on YouTube. The NWA channel has 190K subscribers which is a decent amount. It does pale in comparison to others. AEW is getting close to the 1 million mark. TNA has over 3 million. Ring of Honor has 426K subscribers. At least they beat MLW

So, to clarify it looks like in theory both teams could stick around. The voting is worded as a Yes or No option for each individual team as to whether or not you think they should stick around for a chance to be a part of the NWA roster.

That's not a bad way of doing things. For on online based show, if you see anyone getting overwhelming support online, you would be smart to keep them around.

The Brain
    Makes a lot of sense to keep anyone the crowd likes. Especially since past shows like this often end up better for the runner ups than the winners (The Miz, anyone?).

I was a little disappointed with Powerrr this week, for the first time in forever - there just didn't seem to be a lot of wrestling on the show, and I guess I'm used to seeing at least once competitive match a week. Good storyline bits were there, for sure, and I appreciated that - but I'd have liked that one longer match.

I was on the road from Friday until Tuesday, so I've only seen about the first half of Power. I want Cornette back. I feel like the wrestlers and even Lagana held back a little because they knew if they did something that was dumb, Cornette would bury it on commentary.

But this week we had a schlub who had a suit jacket 15x too big for him cutting a staged promo that nobody would believe with Tim Storm, and a triple threat where two guys stood on the outside throwing weak forearms and waiting to catch the third for long enough that even Barrett made mention of the fact that he'd been in the ring not doing anything for quite some time.

I hope that with the added ROH influence and lack of a guy who will call out what he thinks is stupid, NWA isn't just going to slowly transition to being a regular indy with a retro style show.