Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    That doesn’t mean though that other styles of wrestling are killing the business or that one serious style would save it, just that some people of have a preference. The most popular era in wrestling wasn't Crockett studio wrestling after all.

Would also mention that the young wrestling fan doesn’t really know what serious wrestling is because they’ve never been exposed to it unless they looked for it..either its the indy heavy work rate style, some of the BTE comedy or WWE’s male soap stuff that doesn’t even lean into that as much anymore.

Hopefully NWA helps in the regard but with experience on twitter, young people reject others telling them what real wrestling is. WWE diehards dont even give other promotions a chance because of the perception of gate keeping.

Forget all this, The ROCK put over the NWA show on twitter today. That was insane
    Last edited by LK3185; 10-09-2019 at 02:20 PM.

I think the term "real wrestling" is what's throwing this off. What is real wrestling to Cult is obviously not the same for me. I truly despise anything that looks too choreographed, and inauthentic. It's not fun. It's fucking dumb. I don't watch Olympic gymnastics, so I don't care for flips and dives. But, that is the common theme for modern wrestling. So "real wrestling" is found elsewhere. For these people, real wrestling is NWA.

I wouldn't chuckle at that.I'm just glad they've found a wrestling product that works for them. Lots of options right now, but many are vastly different. And I know I get frustrated with the stuff I expect better from.

The Brain
    Didn't get a chance to watch this yet but I'm going to make a point to do so. There's a lot I like in wrestling right now but I also really like the idea of something old school like this.

Quote Originally Posted by LK3185 View Post
    That doesn’t mean though that other styles of wrestling are killing the business or that one serious style would save it, just that some people of have a preference. The most popular era in wrestling wasn't Crockett studio wrestling after all.
    I don't think it's necessarily "killing the business". Some people, some fans, will view it as that but most of those types of people don't care about "the business", they care about seeing a type of wrestling that they feel they can respect. "Back when wrestling was good." It's a statement I hear, if not daily, then weekly.

The thing is, a lot of the indy stuff that's over with indy fans (and admittedly, many of the people filling an arena for an AEW show) is only over with them.

I don't want to get too into the weeds, but I guess I will. Basically a lot of the stuff that these types of people -- and I'll count myself amongst them in many cases -- roll their eyes or get angry at are things that a generation of guys did to amuse themselves.

There was a time where an average indy show, not a super indy or one with a lot of names, could pretty easily put 1,500 people into a building. That wasn't very long ago either. I sat in a crowd and watched the generation of guys that broke me in doing just that mere years before I started. But then as number started declining somewhat, guys would go out in front of the people who were left, the most hardcore of hardcore fans, and do things to pop themselves and the rest of the boys.

A guy I know worked a show probably 15 years ago. Only about 300 people showed up to a town that used to do three times that, so because "nobody was there", they had a "reverse match" that started with both guys hitting finishes right off the bat end ended with a submission off a headlock takeover. This is the kind of stuff that grew in to invisible hand grenades, hands in pockets, rocking your opponent to sleep.

This kind of stuff started to catch on and get more and more commonplace as "nobody showed up", but the more it was done, the more it drove away a generation, or even just a type, of fan that wanted to see professional wrestling taken seriously both by the office and the performers.

Those people were driven completely away. They didn't turn to Impact or RoH as an alternative, they aren't watching AEW (many don't even know it exists), they aren't casually watching WWE. They legitimately don't think that wrestling is "good" anymore because there's a generation of performers that just wants it to be fun and a wink at the camera.

And that style is fine. But that style drove away a lot of people. A lot of those people that tell me that their grandpa use to take them to the matches every week "when wrestling was good", or that their grandma used to plop herself down in front of the TV every single week to watch Stampede "when wrestling was good."

They don't feel that wrestling is taken seriously anymore, and thus "isn't good".

I don't know what that base is. I don't think it's a 1.4 million people in TNT. But I think it's enough that with the proper exposure it could sustain a company to pay a roster of guys a full time salary and if the sport continues to be treated with respect, I think that audience could grow and possibly do so quite rapidly.

They're never going to draw a certain fanbase. They're probably not going to draw a lot of the teenagers or high spot fans. But I think that they could reignite the grandpa bringing his grandkids to the matches ever week. It's my preferred presentation of pro wrestling, the one that I try my best to present, and honestly the one that I think will appeal to the widest audience of people if they take the time to watch it.
    Would also mention that the young wrestling fan doesn’t really know what serious wrestling is because they’ve never been exposed to it unless they looked for it..either its the indy heavy work rate style, some of the BTE comedy or WWE’s male soap stuff that doesn’t even lean into that as much anymore.
    I don't think that NWA is worried about drawing a younger fan or a fan that is into that more workrate-focused, indy style stuff. They're appealing to an older fan. But even so, I think that if you were just dipping your toe into wrestling outside of WWE, NWA is a more appealing alternative than say Impact with Sami Callihan heavily featured and intergender wrestling happening.

I understand coach but its going to be a slow growth for NWA because of the way they present things and the reach they have isn't that large at the moment so every fan that likes it imo has to be pushing this as something to watch and not be dismissive of other styles.. I know you say that the people you talk to apparently just want something that they deem serious but they have to be able to see it first and if they're not watching then how are they gonna find it? By word of mouth.. and I do think because its on Youtube that's where the younger viewer comes in. Maybe the longterm goal for Corgan is to get this brand on TV where its still more accessible.

I just feel like to do that you're gonna need that younger fan that is very into social media and saying something like "this is real wrestling' turns people off.

And I think a younger fan looking for something different than WWE, all the wrestling heavy shows would enjoy NWA because it is different to this era... but they have to feel welcome at least from other fans.
    Last edited by LK3185; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:31 PM.

Or, there could be a show for each style?

Well I didn't say NWA had to conform and adapt with other styles. Frankly, they don't really have the workers for a workrate heavy show and they likely can't afford much more talent as it is. My issue is more with fans who feel the need to preach about things like real wrestling (not anyone here ) and instead be welcoming and supportive of everyone enjoying wrestling..

I've heard WWE fans bitch about how AEW fans get on their nerves so they don't even bother to try the damn show. its stupid and childish.

there's a very clique type subset culture with fans and wrestling that i find annoying.
    Last edited by LK3185; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:38 PM.

Man, I just completed this show and dont know where to start. I feel like Im dreaming something awesome. No music, nothing fancy, nothing pretty just characters, grit, and people feeling like their fighting. I loved it. Im already wanting to see what they will do next. Liked Aldis heel antics at the end. Liked James Storm a lot, only the super kick has never fit him imo. But it is what it is.

This is my personal favorite show right now.

To Prime Time, I watched that year of Mid Atlantic on the network. To me, the most I ever enjoyed SGT Slaughter. Jake Roberts shows such psychology even as a young baby face. He knows how to make the little things matter...

Back to this show..

Definitely got a good old territory vibe from this show, but on top of that the colors were beautiful to me. I dont really care about the following it gets as long as it can keep doing what its doing and keep a cast at least as good as what they had here, Im in.
    Last edited by Benjamin Button; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:30 AM.
    See the latest of my Ric Flair saga click here. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...acock-(Part-2) View my story inspired by colorful wrestlers I've come across in my fandom. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...-the-Challenge

Stayed out of this one for the general harmony but will just say these posts read as if you're pretty much describing me. And I'll just leave that one there.

And Ben, that angle with Sarge's Cobra Clutch Challenge and 'Blackjack Mulligan Jr' was good TV. Love that they call him 'Bob Slaughter' a few times too, like it's not a gimmick name and it's just a fluke that he happens to be a Sergeant who has the surname Slaughter. That tickled me.

But yeah, genuinely looking forward to a wrestling show and there's still more than half the week to go. Been years since that has happened.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Based on the descriptions here, and having not tried the weekly show out, this sounds a lot like the wrestling I discovered once I switched off from main roster WWE and was instead exploring older stuff on the Network. Sounds like it has an older school vibe in the wrestling than perhaps might be present on an AEW or NXT show.

On paper, if that's accurate, this is certainly something that appeals. My only question is - where's the draw? There's Thunder Rosa who I certainly want to see regularly, and Eddie Kingston, but that's it really. I'm all for being pulled in by the vibe initially, but is anybody there going to make me go 'wow' and want to see them again? Stevens, Aldis, Storm - these are guys that have actively turned me off rather than on during their appearances for other promotions.

I probably need to get over that myself as much as anything, and I'm simply pondering whether anything I see other than the set and the style will make me go 'ooh, what's XXXXX going to do next week?'

Funny, because I see all those guys as potential draws, either because of what they've been doing for a while now (Aldis) or because they've probably got a point to prove after a few week years and I want to see if there'll be anything there. But each of the three you name drop there are more interesting to me than anyone on AEW not named Jericho or Cody at this point, though that's because a whole heap of that roster has - to borrow your phrase - actively turned me off watching 'em.

So I guess the question isn't where's the draw, it's where's the draw for you, because personally, I see plenty. And I'd probably stake my money that these are the kind of guys that'll play better in this environment than Flippy McGee or whoever the fuck, no matter how many twelve star matches they've had in PWG.

EDIT: Recently passed 250,000 views. Not bad at all. Not set the world alight numbers but certainly gives you cause for optimism.

In fairness, I'm possibly tarring them with a TNA brush. Because boy howdy, when you're tarred with that brush you're very, very tarred.

Clean slate for everyone when I finally get to look at this!

Yeah, I wouldn't overdo that. I don't really think back to Aldis in Impact nymore, because of what he's done in the last couple of years. On Storm, I saw much more good than bad in his run there, so I'm optimistic that was a problem of motivation more than anything (though I'm not saying that's all Ok or anything, but if you were unmotivated in Impact after, say, mid-2013, I'd get it). Stevens.... y'know, I just saw that whole thing as a hospital pass. I don't think you can infer anything about his run there at all.

The only person they've picked up that their TNA run kinda counts against for me is Ken Anderson, who I've got no real interest in seeing myself. Still, that's only one guy, and he's not an instant channel changer like... well, quite a lot of people nowadays.

I really enjoy the show but with this format, I'm hoping to see new people that i can find that do really good promos... people like Ricky Starks i don't really know are apart of this.. most of the others I know and will be dependable.. Also as much as this show feels like a love letter to the 80s they do have to have women on it that shine. The debut episode didn't really go there.

It will have women, but why does it have to? Why cant there be some all male promotions, all female, or anything else? There's like 10 promotions we can watch. Do they all have to have a womens division? This is coming from a person who enjoys some women's wrestling.
    Last edited by Benjamin Button; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:24 PM.
    See the latest of my Ric Flair saga click here. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...acock-(Part-2) View my story inspired by colorful wrestlers I've come across in my fandom. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...-the-Challenge

You're not wrong, Ben. But one thing NWA presented hard on the first episode and in the videos hyping Powerr up was how the women's title has such history. So the women's division should reflect that same sort of respect.

It doesn't have to per se but if the NWA wants to grow (and they do ) Then having Women on the show doing good things can only help. I wasn't watching the show like damn this needs a women's match. With this format, i'm not concerned about good matches however if you're going to do it, do it right.

The Brain
    I'm for mixing the women in, as long as the talent is there. Allysin Kay is my 2nd favorite NWA title holder right now, after Aldis, and prior to his career resurrection she would have been my first!

Haven't watched the main event yet but I watched the rest of the show, and overall I really like the aesthetic and the format. I'm definitely feeling inclined to watch on, even if like Oliver I'm less than crazy about some of the roster.

One thing did bother me, and that was the James Storm/Jocephus thing. I've rarely seen Jocephus and I was curious to see what he could do, but the way Storm made an absolute clown out of him makes me think I'll never be able to take him seriously as a threat to anyone again. It's one thing to lose a match quickly, but the weird baby thumb sucking thing had me cringing. This for the sake of James Storm? I get that he's still able to bark out promos with a lot of energy, but in the ring he hasn't really done much to catch the eye since the Roode feud back in 2012. Perhaps he can win me back over like Aldis did, but for me it wasn't a good start.

Didn't bother me, to be honest. Possibly because I was lulled into that good space by that point where you're just in the rhythm of it, but it did more for Storm's finish than harm to Jocephus.

I mean, sure, I now think that he ain't going to beat Storm without cheating - but their entire interaction had pretty much told me that, with his running away from the fight in the first instance. That bit just told me that Storm can end it in one shot with that Super kick, to the point that he can do what he wants with you.

I find myself with a buzz of excitement for the next show to get here. I don't feel that often anymore, and it counts for more than any justification I could give. Told my brother today that NWA feels a little like when you were in school and the teacher would leave the classroom during class. A little chaotic but in a good way.

The Brain
    In a world where a straight shooting old man like Tim Storm is driven to break the rules, anything could happen!

I don't feel as you do Mystic, but there's no doubt that NWA Power is a very unique wrestling show in 2019. If this show has a checkmark next to everything on your personal list of wrestling preferences, it completely makes sense for you to be excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
    I find myself with a buzz of excitement for the next show to get here.
    This bit is the gist of something I put on twitter.

Miz - That guy threw ethics out but could not get the 3! I'm starting to think the 10 lbs of Gold is at fault. It sits back while these folks do all manners of evil to arrive at it. Never says a word.

Pen - I'm definitely not an "everybody should feel what I'm feeling" guy. If it's MLW, great. If it's another company, wonderful. For my experience with NWA so far, it's partly the checkmark thing for me, but it's also just the absurdity of the existence of this company. It doesn't seem like a 2019 project, and I'm grateful for that. Also the ease of YT and 1 hour format. It's just what I need right now.

Prime - It's an interesting ride. I'm already wondering how Nick Aldis will behave in that little studio should there come a day when he's not the champion. I imagine it's going to be uncomfortable programming. Also hoping the women's division will be appealing to me, as it seems to be upfront this coming week.

As someone i saw mention on twitter, just the existence of this NWA show is great because it’s different enough to its current era that other wrestlers could excel there where they wouldn’t in other promotions. Now that likely means taking a paycut..certainly so if you’re in WWE. i think it would be a good idea if NWA can partner up with other promotions and have like guest spots down the line.

The Brain
    The fact that it's easily digestible counts for a lot, which comes down to both the short run time and the presentation (so far). The fact that it has a distinct identity helps as well and makes it stand out.

Dave Lagana (the creative force along with Corgon behind NWA) has a nice interview with the post wrestling folks giving insight into their vision. One thing i took note of is they really want to have things happening fast soto keep peopleís attention. Youíre not going to see 8 min dominating squash matches for example.

Also this isnt seen as profitable right now but they have many other ideas and its helping with growth to be on the platforms they are

Even mentioned talking to WWE way back when Corgon got the brand but this Corgonís deal, something he never really got at impact.

If you cant talk you wont be on this show very often if at all

Mentioned telling Mark Heny and Bully Ray they would do great in this environment
    Last edited by LK3185; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:11 PM.

Dave Lagana (the creative force along with Corgon behind NWA) has a nice interview with the post wrestling folks giving insight into their vision. One thing i took note of is they really want to have things happening fast soto keep people’s attention. You’re not going to see 8 min dominating squash matches for example.

Also this isnt seen as profitable right now but they have many other ideas and its helping with growth to be on the platforms they are

Even mentioned talking to WWE way back when Corgon got the brand but this Corgon’s deal, something he never really got at impact.

If you cant talk you wont be on this show very often if at all

Mentioned telling Mark Heny and Bully Ray they would do great in this environment
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again: This is how all wrestling TV should book. Shorter TV matches that build up to the PPVs. I know, everything is changing, and WWE makes more for their TV contracts than PPVs, so it won't happen. But, right now, the best WWE have done is maybe deliver an 8 out of 10 PPV rating, with an average TV rating of 6 out of 10. Everything is stagnant because there's no flow.

NWA is starting with this format, but obviously will eventually put on a show with longer matches. Maybe not a PPV, but some sort of special event. And on that show, the matches will be longer and be of better quality. It just makes sense this way.

Lagana did mention having special events (PPVs) coming, I believe there's one in November that will air on Fite.

The Brain
    More short squash matches is something I'm all in favor of, save the long ones for a special occasion. I do worry about the long term viability of the show if they already know they can't survive in the current format, but hopefully they can figure out something realistic.

Bully Ray would kill in this environment but considering he seems entrenched with ROH it doesn't seem too likely.

Well it cant be the main format i think is the point at least where they are at as a company. They had a little bit of buzz in last two years but doing a studio show with only 250 people paid to see it obviously not making money off that. This a building block to a bigger plan

NWA next PPV is December 14. Which I think lines up with all the Powerrr eps they've taped so far.

Good show this week, didn't love it like last week but its still building to things.
    Last edited by LK3185; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:23 PM.

Another great show. I am always on the wrong side of the narrative, but I believe Kamille has the right to remain silent and "Journalist Joe" can kick rocks.

Think they're on a charm offensive - Thunder Rosa and someone on the music production side liked one of my tweets almost immediately, and have seen a lot of engagement with the audience from a bunch of different people involved with them.

Enjoyed it again. The time just zips past in a way it hasn't for more than a generation.

The Brain
    Ended up busy yesterday so I've only seen the first bit so far, the Aron Stevens promo. Not sure how I felt about it, I liked Damien Sandow a fair bit during his WWE run but when he went to Impact and toned the gimmick way down, he was terribly bland. The promo seemed a bit awkward and I came away with the impression that his new gimmick is pretending he doesn't have a gimmick but he actually does, perhaps? Interested to see how it'll play out, I'm rooting for the guy but I wasn't convinced. Hopefully I'll have time for the rest of the show tonight.

I felt like he came into the promo as his babyface Impact character, but slowly brought out the Damian Sandow character and was turning heel as he went. Almost like Miz/Rock, in that he was using his superiority from his recent acting success to flaunt.

The Brain
    I can see that possibility, for sure. If that's the way they want to go I'm for it, hope they lean into it much harder as they go along.

I liked the show last night as a whole, it was very enjoyable. There are still a few tiny kinks to work out, but it's coming. For instance (and I'm not sure if anyone else noticed) I think Allysin Kay vs Ashley Vox was taped to be the main event but they changed their minds and swapped it with the tag match, because they were announced with "TV Time Remaining". I also expected the Aldis interview to be longer and peppered throughout the show just based on the way they cued it at the beginning saying that it would air in its entirety during the body of the show, or something along those lines. Probably because when he did the V/O, he didn't know where it was going to be placed. Then there was the toss out saying that James Storm was "next" but they came back with a Tim Storm package. The segment was James Storm's segment and they got to him after a quick package, but it just left that impression for a split second like they didn't know which Storm was coming up.

Little things like that will be tightened up, I'm sure. But on week two, it's still my favourite wrestling show. It's so easy to watch and so enjoyable.

The 18' ring with a slightly lower ropes is a great idea for a studio show. It makes everyone look so much bigger.

Well it cant be the main format i think is the point at least where they are at as a company. They had a little bit of buzz in last two years but doing a studio show with only 250 people paid to see it obviously not making money off that. This a building block to a bigger plan

NWA next PPV is December 14. Which I think lines up with all the Powerrr eps they've taped so far.

Good show this week, didn't love it like last week but its still building to things.
    I don't think that they're trying to make money off of their studio show. This is the classic territory strategy. You tape your studio show each week, and that show pushes the matches on the tour loop to get people into the building. In this case, they don't have a tour loop yet (I'll bet it's to come) so they're going to start pushing to the PPV.

It's still only the second week in to the show. But eventually they'll probably get to pushing matches for that weekend's live events and pushing what's coming up on the PPV. Since they have basically a month before they need to start promoting their PPV, I'd expect the next two weeks will be spend establishing the stars, and then the following four will be spent building them toward their Dec. 14 matches.

Speaking of "tour loop", do you think they'll start pushing house show cards on Powerr? I'm not sure why it crossed my mind, but it would be interesting to have Powerr announce a house show in Florida or somewhere else in Georgia. Then, they announce the matches on Powerr, but don't record it. I know WWE does house shows without cameras already, but I wonder if a non-WWE brand could create interest in an event without cameras form their online presence alone.

Really liking the ego of cornette's broadcast partner...liked the show...the Aldis bit is good episodic stuff.

The Brain
    I wonder if the house show strategy would work in 2019 like it has in the past. WWE is the only company that still does them off the top of my head, and from all I hear attendance is very low. But that could have more to WWE and less to do with the idea of house shows.