3) Kazuchika Okada
    4) Brock Lesnar
    5) Seth Rollins
    6) Braun Strowman
    7) Roman Reigns
    8) Cody Rhodes
    9) Tetsuya Naito
    10) The Miz

The rest of the list is available by ordering a copy of the PWI 500. I think it's out in digital form already, with the dead tree version coming out in a week or two. Remember that this is essentially a kayfabe list, so it's based on how the performers did in the ring between July 2017 and June 2018, and just about nothing else.

I'm perfectly fine with Omega being in that top spot, especially given that match with Okada at Dominion just before the cutoff time. I wouldn't have minded Styles on the top, though, given the run he's had during the time period. I wonder if that feud with Nakamura went a little too long and caused him to drop to the #2 spot.

I can get why Brock is that high on the list, but it just feels odd given that we barely saw him throughout the year.

I'm glad that Cody had such a huge spike in these rankings (I think he was 60-something last year).

I'm a bit torn on Naito being ranked that high. On one hand, the second half of 2017 was great for him, from winning the G1 and going on a tear. But outside of winning the IWGP Intercontinental Championship a few months ago, it feels he's lost a lot of momentum in 2018 with high-profile losses to Okada and Jericho at the biggest shows of the year for New Japan. He had a great G1 this year as well in any case so here's to hoping he gains a ton of momentum because he's just too damn good.

As every single year I've seen, this is always a topic of debate, so I'm curious what others think.

The Brain
    Since it's heavily based on kayfabe accomplishment, I'm a little surprised Okada isn't #1 since he only just lost the title before the cutoff point. Then again, they've been known to cave to what's "hot" before, it doesn't get hotter than Omega. Agree that Lesnar being so high is annoying but he also was champion the whole time, in a very technical sense. Love Cody being up there, plus my boy Miz!!

Yeah I understand why they went with Omega, I don't think anyone in the WWE is at all as 'hot' as him as you guys said.

The PWI is a strange beast how it is kind of a weird mix of kayfabe and the meta-narrative of wrestling but I always enjoy giving it a read, the time frame also throws me because it goes back so far.

I wonder who the top NXT guy will be? Almas, Gargano, Black?

@Sir_Samuel

I'd throw my hat in for Ciampa being the top NXT guy if he'd been around towards the end of last year. As it is it's probably between Black and Almas given they've held the title during the period this is based on.

I always like the PWI 500 as a talking point, but as you say Sam, it's often weirdly assessed and ranked.

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    The full list has been out for a bit now and I caught a glimpse at it. Here are a few interesting things that jumped out to me.

- Almas was the top ranked NXT guy at #13. Some other interesting NXT rankings are Adam Cole at #21, Pete Dunne at #33, Johnny Gargano at #34, Aleister Black at #41, and Tommaso Ciampa at #97 despite being hurt a long chunk of the evaluation period.
    - John Cena is #20, which sounds really high since it doesn't feel like he wrestled at all during the evaluation period.
    - The top 205 Live wrestler was Cedric Alexander at #28.
    - For some reason, Nick Jackson was #38 and Matt Jackson was #40 (with Marty Scurll right in between them at #39).
    - Daniel Bryan was ranked #91.
    - Neville was ranked #154 even after not wrestling most of the past year.
    - A lot of Mexican wrestlers were ranked low, for whatever reason (Rush at #198, La Park at #305, Volador Jr. at #411, etc.)
    - Curt Hawkins is ranked #414 despite not winning a single match in the WWE. I suppose he has a few wins at indy shows.
    - Jericho didn't qualify to be ranked because he didn't wrestle enough.

There's probably more interesting stuff but I honestly don't know more than half of the people on that list so I won't even pretend.

The Brain
    I feel like luchadors pretty much always rank low in PWI. Just more of that anti-lucha bias!! But seriously, for whatever reason they are consistently under the radar despite being as good or better than more vaunted guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate View Post
    The full list has been out for a bit now and I caught a glimpse at it. Here are a few interesting things that jumped out to me.

- Almas was the top ranked NXT guy at #13. Some other interesting NXT rankings are Adam Cole at #21, Pete Dunne at #33, Johnny Gargano at #34, Aleister Black at #41, and Tommaso Ciampa at #97 despite being hurt a long chunk of the evaluation period.
    - John Cena is #20, which sounds really high since it doesn't feel like he wrestled at all during the evaluation period.
    - The top 205 Live wrestler was Cedric Alexander at #28.
    - For some reason, Nick Jackson was #38 and Matt Jackson was #40 (with Marty Scurll right in between them at #39).
    - Daniel Bryan was ranked #91.
    - Neville was ranked #154 even after not wrestling most of the past year.
    - A lot of Mexican wrestlers were ranked low, for whatever reason (Rush at #198, La Park at #305, Volador Jr. at #411, etc.)
    - Curt Hawkins is ranked #414 despite not winning a single match in the WWE. I suppose he has a few wins at indy shows.
    - Jericho didn't qualify to be ranked because he didn't wrestle enough.

There's probably more interesting stuff but I honestly don't know more than half of the people on that list so I won't even pretend.
    Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    I feel like luchadors pretty much always rank low in PWI. Just more of that anti-lucha bias!! But seriously, for whatever reason they are consistently under the radar despite being as good or better than more vaunted guys.
    I'm pretty sure that people I've talked to have said that the top 100 or so they actually put a lot of thought in to, the next 100 they review results put in some effort, and then after that they just plug guys in, often within a few spots of where they were the year before. Sometimes you might get a jump of a few spots, sometimes you might get a jump of like 10 or 15 if your stats wildly changed, but in general they just kind of plug dudes in once they're past 200 because most guys are just happy to be featured.

Hawkins at 414 was probably literally a joke to pop the guys putting the list together since he hasn't won a match in WWE since being back (or because they know that he's a talented dude with zero control over his w/l and wanted to recognize him).

If Meltzer was putting this list together, CMLL guys would crowd 50-100, so it's all just different bias in terms of favorite type of wrestling. These things I don't take seriously, just like Observer Awards or anything like that.

The Brain
    I find them interesting and they can be a guide for discovering new stuff, but yeah can't take them as gospel or anything. I've heard similar things to Coach about the 500 in particular.