Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 NFL Season

2018 NFL Season

The new NFL season is nearly upon us. Who is ready? Any early predictions?

Any thoughts on the Bell situation?

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Sounds like he may sit out into the season at least until they either agree to a deal or trade him, it reminds me of my team (Raiders) and how they handled the Mack situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodqfan View Post
    Sounds like he may sit out into the season at least until they either agree to a deal or trade him, it reminds me of my team (Raiders) and how they handled the Mack situation.
    Dude, as a Raiders fan, the Mack situation still has me fucked up. I was so happy for Gruden, now I'm like, "we should have never brought that doll faced washed up never been anyways." Oh well, I still love Chucky, just wish we had Mack. I originally though we could win 11-13 games, now I'm thinking 7 to 9 games.

Quote Originally Posted by LWO4Life View Post
    Dude, as a Raiders fan, the Mack situation still has me fucked up. I was so happy for Gruden, now I'm like, "we should have never brought that doll faced washed up never been anyways." Oh well, I still love Chucky, just wish we had Mack. I originally thought we could win 11-13 games, now I'm thinking 7 to 9 games.
    I'm the same way I was shocked when the trade happened, then angry, and now I'm down in the dumps. From the way that Reggie Mackenzie has responded to the whole thing, it makes me question who's really in charge of the roster him or Gruden. As far predicting win totals I'd say they win anywhere from three to nine games this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodqfan View Post
    I'm the same way I was shocked when the trade happened, then angry, and now I'm down in the dumps. From the way that Reggie Mackenzie has responded to the whole thing, it makes me question who's really in charge of the roster him or Gruden. As far predicting win totals I'd say they win anywhere from three to nine games this season.
    Reggie had been talking about this resigning for the last two years, he basically said Carr will get his money, and then they'll get Mack under contract after that. Not sure why Gruden would want to trade? It sounds like he was convincing Mark this is for the best. I'm like, damn. That offense better be scoring 35 points a game now.

No team pays two players more than $20 million this season. Raiders would have been the only one if they re-signed Mack. Redskins were the only team last year to have two players making that much. That’s way too much to committ to two players. It sucks if you are a fan but linebackers don’t win Super Bowls. The Bears have a great linebacker and will still suck this year.

There were also rumors the Raiders ownership literally can not afford to pay that contract. Davis needs to sell that team. Even his father needed to be bailed out.
    Last edited by comfortablynumb; 09-06-2018 at 01:46 PM.

The problem is that Mack WAS the WHOLE defense. Like, they only had a winning record 2 years ago because Mack stopped teams in critical moments when it looks like they were going to lose. Of course then Carr had to get hurt, and Carr was the reason they were winning to begin with. Now the Raiders better hope a players steps up.

Bell can't make more money, he's tagged. That's the rules. He either plays or costs himself money. The only reason to do this is to protect his longterm value when he becomes a Free Agent.

My Cowboys are gonna suck this year. Sigh.
    Last edited by LK3185; 09-06-2018 at 04:19 PM.

Yeah, Bell (and his agent) is just worried the Steelers are going to run him into the ground and hurt his future value since he definitely will not be in Pittsburgh in 2019.

I don't know what the expectations were like in the US, but both of the pundits on our NFL show went for the Eagles to underperform and lose to Atlanta in the first match of their defence of their title but... SPOILER.... it looks like they at least did OK.

For my part I haven't seen anything of the game itself yet; how did they look in the win?

Meh both teams looked average. Both had their moments. But for the most part it was a terrible game to watch. Wouldn’t take much away from it. I tipped the Falcons myself as I thought the Eagles were putrid in the pre season, granted I shouldn’t take too much away from pre season but they were terrible, and thought they’d take a few weeks to get back into it. Falcons have the same problem they did last year. Once they enter the redzone they don’t seem to have the playcalls or players to make the plays. They need to work on that ASAP.

It was a sloppy, terrible game. Interesting that the new helmet rules didn't come into play but there was a bunch of flags and both teams couldn't move the ball til very late. Sarkasian, Falcons OC is gonna get fired if The Falcons Redzone troubles continue.

I think the sloppiness is due to the players sometimes sitting out preseason games and workouts due to certain circumstances (injury, contract disputes etc.) not being able to build/further chemistry with the team, and having to get used to regular game speed in Week 1.

Of course it is but nothing can be really done with that because you don't run the risk of people getting injured in meaningless games. It is amusing though all the hot takes after Week one when it usually takes teams about 4 weeks to really show what they are about.

How about that tied game, eh? Browns came within a whisker. Saw an interesting stat too, they're the only side to have five or more takeaways in a game and still only manage to tie it.

And actually, they lost two games where they have 5+ turnover advantage. Teams with a +5 turnover advantage are 132 wins, 4 loses, and 1 ties, and the Browns have 2 loses and the tie.

This will possibly be the only reply I make in this thread unless my Titans decide to run like gods this year (which is quite doubtful), but they’re now in the history books as having been in the longest game ever. So... there’s that.

Well I know one thing Mack will still make history and it wouldn't be in Silver and Black anymore. FML!

J!E!T!S! Jets Jets Jets play tonight!!!

In theory we should get a win over the Browns, but they are the Jets....

They need the offense to play better than last week certainly but i expect a low scoring affair.

Well, the 635 day streak is over. The Browns have won a game.

I'm thinking Baker Mayfield is good... The Browns haven't had a good QB this since the 90s at least.

Not making excuses for a 27-6 drubbing by the Bills, but the Vikings have a real issue with what's going on with Everson Griffen. He appears to be in real emotional distress, perhaps in the midst of a mental breakdown. Check the espn.com article for all the details, but sounds like all of it happened from Tuesday-Sunday of last week, and if that's the case that was a team that was majorly distracted going into their game.

Wishing Sack Daddy well, but it sounds pretty bad.

Yeah, sounds like he needs to be on some type of medication.

I think the prospect of facing Josh Allen was too much for him to handle. As he watched more and more tape of Allen, Griffen realized this was no mere mortal.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    I think the prospect of facing Josh Allen was too much for him to handle. As he watched more and more tape of Allen, Griffen realized this was no mere mortal.
    Yeah, a dude having major mental health issues is a perfect time to make a joke

Get over it. I’m sure you really give a shit. If he wasn’t on your team you’d barely give it a thought. Save your self-righteousness.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    Get over it. I’m sure you really give a shit. If he wasn’t on your team you’d barely give it a thought. Save your self-righteousness.
    I absolutely would, because I'm a human being. I'm guessing you make suicide jokes too. Dude is having a mental breakdown. As ssomeone with a sibling with mental health issues I don't take that stuff lightly

That’s a lie but whatever you need to do to think you’re better than others, go for it. Maybe Allen will apologize for getting in his head and making him crazy.

And I do truly wish the best for your brother. I know how serious mental health issues are. I also know I’m going to have a little fun when the Bills win. Sorry.
    Last edited by comfortablynumb; 09-25-2018 at 07:10 PM.

OK that took a turn. Let's keep the comments on the football and not on other posters, please. I don't want to have to step in.

To football... I feel like only the Cleveland Browns could lose with the kind of lead they had last night. The last time I checked it they were leading by a large margin and Raiders fans were wishing rid of half their key personnel... I wake up and lo and behold, they'd lost. Cleveland gonna Cleveland.

It still sucks as a Raider fan, because we were one Mack away from contending, and now it feels like a rebuild in which we are so close, yet so far away. It's like, we are going to lose and this is a throw away season. Nope sir, I don't like it.

My Titans beat the champs, so there’s that. Apparently Vrable made a really bold choice to go for the win instead of settling for the tie (or risking the loss). Sometimes that mentality is good. Hope it doesn’t go to his head and cause him to make wrong calls later this season.

Still can't get over Vontae Davis quitting at half time....

No thoughts on Drew Brees getting the all-time passing record?

Don't know about that but hope that the other British games give us more than the fuckin Raiders

So Cleveland have made the coaching change. Bit of a difference of opinion out there about the replacement they've got in.

What do you guys think?

Dunno about that but the last unbeaten record is gone, we can get serious about the season now.

How popular is American Football in the UK and Europe? I know that the London games do very well with attendance, but what are the TV ratings like over there, and is the sport shown on TV? I honestly do not know if they do, but I know you can watch online.

It's on pay TV with the exception of the games from London and some key games like the Superbowl, which probably limits people's ability to watch it live. I think it did decent numbers when it was on the bigger channels. The estimates I've seen suggest that there are around 1m UK viewers for the Superbowl.

Those who are into it are into it pretty hard, but it's still a ways behind our domestic sports currently.

Gotcha, thanks.