NWA 70th Anniversary Show

So, the first major National Wrestling Alliance event under Billy Corgan is taking place Sunday, October 21st at 9 p.m. Eastern Time from The Asylum in Nashville, TN. No matches have been announced yet, but the NWA Worlds Heavyweight Championship (currently held by Cody, of course) will be defended and a new NWA National Champion will also be determined. It will be available on Fite TV and cost $24.99. We'll be covering it on Kingdom of Honor for Lords of Paih Radio. I'm guessing like ALL IN it will have cooperation with multiple organizations. Anybody else excited for this?

So this is a pro wrestling show put on by Corgan? NWA will ultimately be Corgan, rather than an association of wrestling promotions?

I was saying over the weekend that I think All In and NWA will become one and the same. It just makes sense. Cody (and The Bucks) has the good will, momentum, desire to do it again and the NWA World Heavyweight Championship. Between the All In momentum and the NWA name to potentially draw back older, lapsed fans it seems like a win-win to me, especially if you can keep Cody and that NWA title on ROH and NJPW.

The problem with this theory is what All In produced and what The Bucks like in their wrestling. Those older fans will have a conniption if they see Joey Ryan.

But if Cody is going to be the face of NWA, and is essentially the face of All In, and if Corgan is hoping to work with someone who is clearly motivated to do more, then the momentum of what Cody's doing and the relative newness and moldability of what Corgan's doing are a natural fit.

I think that would be a wonderful thing, honestly. Corgan, Lagana, Cody and his friends contributing together to the creative and putting on amazing shows. Here is what the Wikipedia entry has to say about ownership:

"Corgan's ownership of the NWA took effect on October 1, 2017. All licenses granted by Tharpe to use the NWA branding expired the previous day, putting Corgan in complete control of both the brand and its championships. Corgan forms the organization's new leadership alongside Dave Lagana.[19][20][21] With the exception the NWA World Heavyweight Championship, which is still actively contested, all of the NWA's other championship titles have since been vacated."

And maybe the older fans would feel that way, Coach, but maybe there will be enough other stuff they do like to keep them interested and, even if not, shouldn't the target be more geared toward youth and trying to cultivate them as lifelong viewers/fans?
    Last edited by XanMan; 09-06-2018 at 05:49 PM.

I dunno, I'm torn. I've worked on shows with Joey. He's a class act and I really, really like him as a person. A certain segment really loves him and his character.

But I am personally of the opinion that the majority of people, not necessarily modern mid-20s male wrestling fans but the overall population, are more interested in wrestling when they can buy in to what they're watching. And I think that Joey, as much as I like him, somewhat damages the credibility of whatever show he's on.

Wrestling should be "fun", I agree, but it can be fun and still serious. I recognize that there are different points of view on pro wrestling, and different people like different things. However, I also wouldn't allow fans of a certain age to watch Joey Ryan (and I'm singling him out probably unfairly) and I believe that those mid-20s male fans will still be there.

I just don't like it when people like pro wrestling ironically is all and I think that in the long run it's diminishing returns. I personally believe in the long run that wrestling promoted like those 10 lbs of Gold videos would, in the end, draw more than wrestling promoted like the Adam Page killed Joey Ryan angle.

I don't think it really matters because I don't think you can do All In very often right now so tying them to the NWA is all well and good but its not like they're gonna run shows every month.. I don't think that's realistic right now or needed because I think the show drew because of how special it was in part. Tying Cody to the NWA is of course going to happen.. I'm curious what they will be able to do for Cody's opponent. I don't believe its a good idea to have a Cody/Aldis rematch.

Also i'm not sure if the NWA is going be running many shows beyond this, unless this show does really well...

I think Corgan and Lagana are just building a foundation right now, but I wouldn't count them out of running more shows. Corgan really loves the NWA and wants to run a wrestling promotion; that's why he tried to buy TNA before ending up with the NWA. I don't think he'll be satisfied with just one big show. As far as the Ryan stuff, Coach, you're probably right, but things like the way the Young Bucks and Kenny can be goofy sometimes shouldn't be that much of a turnoff for wrestling fans.

The Brain
    Definitely interested in this, though I'll want to know the lineup before I commit to the purchase. The idea of Corgan's NWA being associated with multiple promotions and putting on super-indy shows from time to time isn't a bad one, and if they can strengthen the bond with more companies who knows what that might do for the brand?

I'm not personally a big fan of Joey Ryan's shtick, as it's just not my kind of humor. I do think, for the attention he draws, it's not a mistake to use him. Incredibly outlandish gimmicks have happened before in successful, mostly serious companies, so I feel like there's a way to make it work. Time will tell, of course.

As for Joey Ryan, I don't really care for the gimmick but its a comedy gimmick to me and I don't have a problem with that.. Not as world champion but if the NWA wanted to use him to stir up interest... sure.. However, I don't think its needed for this show. Book the best talent you can find, a good opponent for Cody and build off the history of the NWA. That sells this show... Not a gimmick like Ryan.

Here's the deal: I'm not a fan of Joey Ryan's gimmick, but do you know who seemed to be? Everyone around me in Chicago. As long as the show isn't dominated by those things, I get booking to a wide audience. People want promotions to thrive *and* want the promotion to appeal to only their desires. Can't happen. There is a continuum with horrible extremes on each side: one side of the continuum is Vince Russo and the other is Jim Cornette. We all are closer to one than the other, but when we become like either of the two, we have a problem.

I also am waiting for the card to see if I will order this. I'm guessing we'll get Cody/Nick. I'd love to get invested in new/different stars. Hope they will use videos to do that, as that is what has worked best with me these last months.

The Ten pounds of gold won't be going away, its basically the only thing they use to promote and the best tool I might add. I doubt i'll be paying for the show, especially if its a Cody/Aldis rematch

Quote Originally Posted by LK3185 View Post
    The Ten pounds of gold won't be going away, its basically the only thing they use to promote and the best tool I might add. I doubt i'll be paying for the show, especially if its a Cody/Aldis rematch
    Herein lies a potential problem: they need something in addition to Ten Pounds. I LOVE those videos. I thought they were better All In Promotion than Twitter, ROH, and BTE. *But*, I still had those other platforms, especially BTE, to get the story of the non-Ten Pounds matches. For instance, what would most likely tempt to me order this event is if they used videos to really build the contenders for this NWA National Championship. If they could get me hooked on those matches, or liking one of the contenders, that would be my easiest way in and wanting to order. So, I love Ten Pounds, but how will they properly promote the rest of the NWA card?

See, this is where the collaboration comes in. I wouldn't be surprised if they also use BTE and ROH to promote aspects of this card. ROH has Death Before Dishonor on September 28th and tapings the next day in Vegas. Maybe they will tape some stuff there that will culminate at the NWA show. They could even have Survival of the Fittest matches there. And since Cody will be on the show and the Bucks are likely to be, it could easily be promoted on BTE.

I hope so. Magic bullet for a potential order for me is keep the Ten Pounds videos at that high level + find other ways to promote the rest of the card + have some interesting wrestlers/stories going in.

October may also be that fascinating moment where we discover whether Cody is running with the NWA title or whether this was just a way to promote Cody/All In and NWA for a short period.

It's fascinating. All of it. I have been DEEPLY impressed with the Ten Pounds videos. Can you make me just as interested in a National title? If so, you enter a place with LU, for me, where I follow you where you go.

The Brain
    A huge benefit of the NWA being separate from ROH is their roster is basically anyone in the world that they can afford. Find who is hot, find who resonates, and give them a platform. This is maybe the first time a "super-indy" has actually had the money to do that. PWG has been close in terms of consistently booking hot guys but their general (but not total) lack of stories and limited distribution put them in an entirely different category. This has the potential to be the start of something really new and exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
    Here's the deal: I'm not a fan of Joey Ryan's gimmick, but do you know who seemed to be? Everyone around me in Chicago. As long as the show isn't dominated by those things, I get booking to a wide audience.
    This is definitely where I'm at with Joey Ryan in general. People are into it and I'm absolutely not going to tell them they're wrong, we just have different takes, and that's how wrestling (and all) fandom works.

I'm mostly with you guys on Ryan; I did love it on the show (but I love anything that gives Adam a platform upon which to succeed,) but it certainly isn't my normal cup of tea, either. The issue with PWG to me has always been that it's distributed via tape/dvd. If they have a streaming service or PPV, I'm unaware of it. This means that by the time the shows are available, they feel like old news and people tend to rave about some of the stuff there so much that I just hand-wave it. Like I finally watched that 6-man from two years ago that blew up the internet and it was a good match, no question, with some amazing stuff in it, but taken as a whole? Not great.

The Brain
    Yeah, still no streaming service, just DVDs and after a loooong time there's a VOD version. I usually enjoy watching that stuff but it'll never be my main cup of tea for a lot of reasons. They do usually have their finger on the pulse of who's hot though, and that's valuable. Excalibur is very close with the Bucks, I believe, so he could be really valuable to them as a talent scout.

Joey has really only reinvented the hip toss. Wait till you see him revolutionize powering out of the sleeper and the old fashion poke of the eye. What a reverse he could use when positioned for a tombstone pile drive! But how far will his opponents go to please the audience, they already grab his penis to sell his hip toss, will they also sell his version of the mandible claw?
    Last edited by Benjamin Button; 09-08-2018 at 05:19 AM.

The Brain
    That is a fairly tremendous post right there, Benny!

The rematch between Cody and Nick Aldis has officially been announced as the main event of the 70th Anniversary Show. Now that I'm getting caught up on 10 Pounds of Gold, this actually does excite me as we discussed last night on Kingdom of Honor.

The Brain
    Makes me wonder if they'll switch it back to Aldis. Hope not, feeling it with Cody right now and I'd really like to see him carry it out and defend it against a bunch of guys, ideally not just randomly but with some context via 10 Pounds of Gold.

I really feel it would be a waste to switch the title back to Aldis. if you can get a six month to a year run out of Cody, you take it.

Also, this doesn't make me want to buy the show.

They need to keep it on Cody for at least a year. I'd try to get some promotions to unify under the NWA as well, but for now, just let Cody hold it and make it worth something.

With Flip always trying to move in on Cody's wife and Cody down on Flip, there's a potential match there for sure. Might have to make some triple threats out of it though...I'm feeling their fued but Flip alone isn't a hell of a threat.

I would have Cody do as much traveling ROH allows, or do it under ROH banner and try to have him defend against as many as credible opponents as you can. It would help build the brand the bigger the title defenses are. Working with lesser talent really helps no one.

I think Cody should win the rematch, then defend it at Global Wars, Final Battle, and Wrestle Kingdom. Build up the presence of the title that way. And, LK, last week I felt the same as you about Aldis, but then I watched 10 Pounds of Gold and I did a 180.

Quote Originally Posted by LWO4Life View Post
    They need to keep it on Cody for at least a year. I'd try to get some promotions to unify under the NWA as well, but for now, just let Cody hold it and make it worth something.
    I like the way you think. I have a Pentegon article to write, but I never have time. In it, I will say that I am sure he will lose the LU title this season, but that they *should have* (in a world where he is under contract) had him hold it multiple seasons. Having someone do this, changes what we can imagine, changes the shape of what wrestling can look like. It's the same with Cody. How do you distinguish the NWA title, aside from videos and traveling? Maybe make it a belt that's not swapped every 3 weeks to 3 months. Change our expectations. For a while, when Cody comes around, the NWA title comes around. When the NWA title comes around, Cody comes around.

We are entering such a wonderful space of diversity in amount of promotions. I only wish each of them would so thoroughly do their own thing that watching each one would be like entering a unique experience versus any other wrestling show.

The Brain
    Now that you've mentioned them together, I'd VERY much like see a Cody vs. Pentagon match somewhere, with proper build behind it. Think that could be something phenomenal right now.

The National Wrestling Alliance has announced--in order to torture Mizfan and Mystic--that Tony Schiavone will be on the call for the 70th Anniversary Show.

Quote Originally Posted by XanMan View Post
    The National Wrestling Alliance has announced--in order to torture Mizfan and Mystic--that Tony Schiavone will be on the call for the 70th Anniversary Show.
    God. Personal taste versus history. I kind of like that he's calling the main event. I grew up loving JR, but he's so unpleasant and WWE-tilted that he's lost some of his luster for me. I think I'm happy Tony is calling it, but if the monster gets out and he consumes the children (especially as this is close to Halloween), folks can't say they weren't warned by TLS.

The Brain
    Haha, that's a hell of a thing. He wouldn't be my first choice but I suppose they could do worse. As Shane said that, we tried our best to warn everyone!

The other guy they have announced wouldn't be your first choice, either. Personally, I have always liked Tony. Not so sure about Cornette; back in the 80's and 90's sure, but these days with his NIMBY shit; not thrilled.

The Brain
    Cornette is the other commentator? I'm not sure I've actually heard him on commentary before. He's one of the best talkers in wrestling history though, and his wrestling knowledge is huge. As long as he doesn't bring too much of the grumpy old man gimmick into the booth I think he'll be good.

Then again, this could be an elaborate setup to do a Cornette/Joey Ryan angle. If there's a buck to be made...

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    Cornette is the other commentator? I'm not sure I've actually heard him on commentary before. He's one of the best talkers in wrestling history though, and his wrestling knowledge is huge. As long as he doesn't bring too much of the grumpy old man gimmick into the booth I think he'll be good.

Then again, this could be an elaborate setup to do a Cornette/Joey Ryan angle. If there's a buck to be made...
    I'm pretty sure Cornette would turn anything like that down. Didn't he commentate a show that Joey Ryan was on not too long ago and actually had the promoter request Ryan not do the spot so that he didn't have to call it?

The Brain
    I didn't hear that but it's entirely possible. I just always assume the carny aspect of any self respecting wrestler will take over if they see money on the table.

Doesn't mean it's true though, could just be cynicism on my part. Corny does seem like the type who might leave a buck on the table if he thought it was against his principles.

The Brain
    Not sure if my curiosity or my dislike of Joey Ryan matches will prove stronger here!

I am concerned that Joey Ryan is a continuous victim of sexual assault. I've witnessed numerous individuals grab his genitals. While he seems able to physically fend them off, we cannot discount the emotional distress this could cause.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    I didn't hear that but it's entirely possible. I just always assume the carny aspect of any self respecting wrestler will take over if they see money on the table.

Doesn't mean it's true though, could just be cynicism on my part. Corny does seem like the type who might leave a buck on the table if he thought it was against his principles.
    I do remember him once saying that he go back to the WWE for the money, but he knew his value - and the money it'd take to get him back is way more than he's worth to anyone.

Sounds like he likes what Aldis/Rhodes were doing, to hear him talk about it, and the chance to reunite with guys like Schiavone (who he hasn't worked with since what, 1991?) explains the rest of it.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

A few more things have been added to this show now:

Main event is still Cody vs. Nick Aldis, but is now 2/3 falls

Jazz will be defending the Women's Title (opponent to be determined)

Tim Storm vs Peter Avalon--their feud has been featured on the NWA Youtube Channel, including 10 Pound of Gold

Crimson and Jax Dane will be facing somebody in a tag match

Two 4-way matches involving Colt Cabana, Scorpio Sky, Mike Parrow, Jay Bradley, Sam Shaw, Ricky Starks, Willie Mack, and Sammy Guevara. The winners of these two matches will face each other for the vacant NWA National Title.

The Brain
    I can dig the 2/3 falls stip for the main event. Certainly brings the NWA to mind. I don't say this too often but I hope it goes real long.

Saw Jazz work a couple years ago and she still looked pretty good. Not sure I'd use her as a long term champ though, if they can get someone reasonably hot to come in and beat her that wouldn't be the worst thing. Lots of good choices out there.

I'm a Peter Avalon fan, I think he's a great little bumper and can work face or heel. Tim Storm is a guy I like by reputation but I haven't seen him wrestle, so if I check out the card it'd be my first time.

Just can't get into Crimson. Don't think I've seen Dane.

Really like some of the guys mentioned in the 4ways. Willie Mack would be a wonderful National Champion but there are several good choices there.