Hell in a Cell 2018 - LIVE Discussion

Bit late getting this up, but thread for the discussion on the upcoming Hell in a Cell event.

Already famous for having a pretty ridiculous poster.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The poster is the most metal thing WWE has done in a long, long time. It's incredible.

The Bryan/Brie vs Miz/Maryse tag should be a lot of fun, I always liked Maryse in the ring so it will be interesting to see if she can get Brie to some half decent interactions. It's quite a classic booking step, in the sense of the feud, and they can hopefully keep Miz and Bryan away from having a decisive finish for another month or so.

Braun vs Roman is normally good fun. I have little else to say about it, we've seen it a lot, it's normally good fun. Hopefully that continues.

Styles and Joe getting another straight singles bout is cool, too - I enjoyed SummerSlam, hopefully they up the ante a bit.

I think Charlotte vs Becky will probably steal the show. They've had surprisingly few one on one interactions in their careers to date, but their match at the Rumble 2016 was pretty great, as I remember.

Otherwise nothing is really grabbing me. Not sure why Orton and Hardy are having a cell match?

They're having a cell match because Randy Orton pulls on Hardy's ear.. but seriously, think its because its on Hardy's Bucket list and he'll be the one to do the crazy bump

Quote Originally Posted by LK3185 View Post
    They're having a cell match because Randy Orton pulls on Hardy's ear.. but seriously, think its because its on Hardy's Bucket list and he'll be the one to do the crazy bump
    I can't be the only one who is exhausted seeing Jeff Hardy age while carrying the knowledge that his body is broken down and he still does crazy shit that got him to this point in his late 30s/early 40s. I like that he's hopefully going to take a break soon and that he's wrestling Orton before it, as Orton has been known to be a super safe wrestler.

So far the card is looking pretty good. They had a lot of good stories to continue from SummerSlam with AJ/Joe, Bliss/Rousey, Flair/Lynch. I'm even looking forward to Strowman/Reigns now that they've been building it up and making a heel stable. Should be a decent show. The latter half of the year is looking to be better than the earlier half of the year so far.

Not sure why Joe and AJ styles aren't having a hell in a cell match.

Hopefully Nakamara defends the US title against someone here. Not sure who, though.

I actually wonder if Foley is refereeing so after Brawn loses he kills him inside the Cell to get his heat back.

The damn cell is red. Freaking bright red

I bet that does wonders for the aura of the thing.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

I hope they bring back Kane's red lighting for it.

Just gimmick the entire PPV into oblivion.

How long do you think the audience chants about how the cage is red?

WWE just can't help themselves sometimes.

Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar
    For a bit, during the Universal title match probably, when people feel a need to satisfy their ego and pretend to 'rebel.'

Looking forward to this show though! Even if literally every other match on the main card is more suited to a Cell than this lukewarm and forgetable Orton / Hardy thing.

Match I am most looking forward to is Becky Lynch vs. Charlotte.

I'm hoping they changed Lynch's entrance music.

Decent enough pre-show tag match. Thought Rusev Day were going to win it at one point!

And yeah, I think Lynch needs a music change, and a bit of an image one too. Let her wrestle in all black with the severe hair style she had when she ambushed Charlotte. She looked like a legit bad ass. Very intimidating.

WWE continues tohold back one of their most over superstars...Rusev.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    WWE continues tohold back one of their most over superstars...Rusev.
    It's just sour grapes because he married a co worker, but hey! It's okay if HHH does it

Liked the stunt work in that first Cell, and some of the physicality. I struggled because of the feud being so dull and tepid though, and the wrestling was never not just drab clichés.

Pretty great match from Becky and Charlotte! Even though it probably deserved the match they gave to Jeff and Orton.

Phenomenal tag title match! That exceeded my already very high expectations. Adored the hell outta that.

Thought the WWE title match was good if not as spectacular as their Summerslam match. It needed the Cell to really open up its potential I think.

The mixed tag was meh. Mixed tags are always meh. I'd love to never see them again. Ever.

I thought the PPV was strong overall. Especially coming off SummerSlam and being a "b" show.

Cien vs. Ron

I unfortunately missed this, but I enjoy both of these competitors and glad the Truth is getting some screen time.

New Day vs. Rusev Day
    Was super fast paced, which I found surprising. It was nice to see Aiden English pop off and shine a bit. The ending actually made me wonder if they'd win despite being almost certain that they weren't when I went into it. Not very long, but it's a preshow match. Is what it is at that point.

Hardy vs. Orton
    I was surprised this was the first match. I expected the tag match. It was a pretty solid opener for me, though. Got surprisingly gory, which some was possibly unintentional with the belt wallops and the skin chunk taken out of Orton's leg. Jesus.
    The ending was expected, but wasn't sure how it was going to be delivered. I'm so glad Hardy didn't some how get to the top of the cell and do something incredibly stupid. The feud going into this was built rather slowly and had petered off a bit in the last week or two - probably because Orton was outed for being weird with his balls and handshakes. But clearly that didnt' have an affect on the match, which is the right call in regards to Hardy. Hopefully he'll stay away and heal or just retire with Matt. He's given enough. Either way, good match. Nice spots. Enough "Hell in a Cell" feel for a great opener.

Also, screw driver in the ear lobe. Mmmmmmmm

Lynch vs. Flair
    It wasn't the cleanest match, but the crowd loved it and Becky won, so I'm not complaining. I may rant about psychology and character development a lot in this post, but it's so important, and these two did a great job displaying. Becky didn't come out to play to the crowd. She's not a heel, but she's not a face, which is great. She came out and was business. I wish she would have changed her ring gear and maybe music, but whatever. She's playing the part.

Flair was great too. When she hit the ring, she never took her eyes off Lynch. Even when she was doing her in-ring ritual thing where she does the splits and has her back to her opponent, she would peer over her shoulder at Becky. This is great because the weeks leading up to this, Becky has been jumping Flair, so I pay attention to little things like this. Love that stuff.

Shield vs. Dolph/Drew
    Another great match. It's by the end of this match that I realized there were only 7 matches on the card, so every one of them had time to tell story and crescendo. The four of these told a pretty good story with special shout out to Dolph and Dean. Dolph seems to add a little bit more rage and frustration to his character, as well as play off the dynamic of the small guy/big guy. He was shouting and showing signs of annoyance, but also got carried out by Drew at the end. Really awesome to see.

Dean - since becoming Trapzilla, he has tweaked his moveset and taken the "Lunatic Fringe" to a more serious stage from his more "wacky random" persona and he's filling the shoes so well. He's more power than antics and, despite being smaller than Drew, creates a decent foil for him due to his unhinged capability and reckless behavior combined with the muscle he's put on.

Enjoyed this match a lot.

AJ vs. Joe
    I'm surprised this wasn't in a Hell in a Cell. Like, Joe has been taunting AJ and his family for weeks and this match went about like a normal 1 on 1. Where is AJ's frustration? Why didnt' any of that play into the match and cause him to mess up out of anger or show that he wasn't trying to be technical, but rather just punch Joe? None of this was on display. It was a slow and methodical match, and they performed that well, but slow and methodical isn't what taunting someone's family should produce, ya know?

The best thing out of this match was the finish, because now it can transition from the taunting to Joe having a legitimate claim to being champion. I look forward to this evolving, because they put on great matches.

Mixed Tag match
    Eh... What is there to say? It was essentially Miz vs. Daniel with the added psychology of Brie/Maryse. Miz is great at playing in this environment because he's a scummy heel, and Bryan has to handle it in his face way. I don't know... It was fun for a few minutes and Miz is entertaining. I guess? It'll continue.

Rousey vs. Bliss
    This was probably Ronda's best match to date. That isn't saying much considering she's only had about 3, but she's getting better and it's showing in her matches. She came in with hurt ribs, which weren't taped... Which I was sort of disappointed in, but she sold her injury pretty freaking well. This was the most vulnerable we've seen her, and with someone like Alexa - it's accentuated because of how good Alexa can be at taunting and playing off someone being weaker than her. It wasn't the run of the mill Ronda match, and it was much welcomed after seeing her just do whatever she wants in typical Hulk Hogan fashion with her hulk ups and her beat downs. Blah blah. I have no idea what Ronda is doing after this, but i hope they find a way to make her vulnerable again, because it's way more fun that way.

Strowman vs. Reigns
    I wasn't expecting too much going into this, but the match itself delivered pretty decently. The chaos outside the cell was nice with fairly predictable spots. Of course the surprise at the end was great.

I'll start with Reigns and Strowman. We've seen various iterations of these two before. Not much has changed besides them using steel steps and chairs and kendo sticks. They did a good job not giving a hint about who could beat who, which is good for the feud to continue after the ending it had. I have no idea why Foley was here. He barely did anything besides possibly botch a pinfall, but other than that - he was just there until the ending part. I guess it was good? It wasn't bad. It was just... ok.

The chaos outside was a fun injection into the match because that meant they got to do stuff on top of the cell! All night we've waited for some sort of bump involving the outside of the cell (not counting the inside one during the first match). I guess I let the history of Hell in a Cell get to me with how much they highlighted Foley's history, so when they went to the top, I was expecting something stupid to happen. But a few slams and nothing happened. Then Dolph and Rollins bumped from the side as they were climbing down and battling and fell onto the tables the same way Rollins and Ambrose did a few years back during their feud. It was fun. Expected, but fun.

The unexpected (for those not reading the dirt sheets) part was Lesnar showing up and destroying everything. Massive pop when his music his. Dude came down with Paul, kicked the cell door in, got in and used a broken table as a weapon on Reigns/Strowman, which broke the table more. Then F5'd people. Meanwhile, Paul maced Foley. I guess Paul uses mace regularly now. Then Lesnar left and a new ref came out and called the match a no contest.

I don't understand the no contest. I like it for this match, but it's Hell in a Cell... Doesn't make sense to me. Used to, refs would bump and get knocked into a coma and prompt another ref to come down and continue the match no matter the state of the two wrestlers. I guess that's not a thing now. So the ending was a No contest.

Lesnar has a slight beard and is trimmer. I liked his retired "God of War" look.

Overall, entertaining PPV that gave quite a bit of time to build 7 matches (not including preshow matches). It ended 25 minutes early, which I felt could have been used for Nakamura. Sad he wasn't on the show.

Oh, and the Cell was red... Looked like a giant Lego block from the outside, but was an alright feature that I thought would annoy me.

Cheers.

I enjoyed everything on that card except the stupid cell and the final 30 seconds.

My only real qualms were with the main event. They seemed to be wrestling a nothing, stalling match waiting on the inevitable stable interference. When it came, they made the most of it and it worked. And the BROCK! Out of nowhere, unadvertised, everyone assuming that he was done with WWE for the foreseeable future! He comes in, boots the fucking door in and lays waste to both Roman and Braun. It was a wondrous moment and the type of unpredictable "must see" thing that we haven't seen from WWE in years...maybe since The Shield first debuted.

Then the no contest... Why? Hell in a Cell in supposed to be the WWE's ultimate match in terms of brutality. Anything goes, there must be a winner. Then they pull the no-contest bullshit? I should have assumed that something was going to happen with them priming us for it in the opener by having the ref try to call it only for Orton to demand he count the pin. WWE might as well retire the gimmick as a concept. The fact that there can be "too much" in a match that they just showed us highlights of Mick Foley nearly dying in makes even bothering to have it pointless.

And let's talk about Foley for a minute. I understand why he was the guest ref. They wanted to push 20 years since his infamous Cell match at the show. But he was so tacked on and needless. They didn't give him a spot, he didn't (can't) take a bump, he was just there to be Mick Foley and get maced. He would have been much better served reffing the Orton-Hardy match. Given the angle, the brutality of that match and the fact that Hardy asked for Hell in a Cell, he would have been a great addition to add some interest to that match.

Especially if they'd brought him in three weeks ago. He could have spent weeks angrily chastising Hardy for asking for a Hell in a Cell match. He could have been mad at Jeff for cavalierly asking for a Cell because he's a "daredevil", knowing full well what that match can do to a person's body. Then, a week out they could announce that since he knows how sadistic Randy Orton is first hand, and he knows what could happen to Jeff Hardy in that match, he is going to be the special guest referee if for no other reason than to ensure that both guys make it out alive.

They could have had that exact same match. But with Foley begging both guys not to do what they did. Just picture that upside down ladder spot with Mick begging Orton not to do it and then just shaking his head and yelling at him after he does. Or Mick selling the screwdriver through the ear. Then you get the added layer to the finish of Mick stopping Jeff from climbing the ladder, telling him that he's going to get hurt and he's going to regret it and he needs to think of his health, only for Jeff to push past him, Orton to recover, Jeff to go through the table and a solemn, angry Mick Foley counts the final three while shaking his head.

Instead, he was tacked on to the main event for literally no other reason than it's 20 years since his match.

The card was good overall, but those last 30 seconds with a no-contest finish just left a bad taste in my mouth. Especially because I could see Braun getting his briefcase back thanks to Brock's interference, making a Hell in a Cell match completely pointless.

Oh...and the Cell is red! It looks like it's made of plastic. It looks like a toy. It doesn't look "scary" or "imposing" or like "The Devil's Playground". It looks like a climbing object you'd find on a child's playground. Fix the Cell WWE. Go back to silver, or even go black, but the red looks like a plastic toy and does a disservice to the guys bumping into and on it.

Had the same issues with the no contest as well. Why can't Roman get the pin? Its a brutal match and it wouldn't be seen as like some type of lucky heel turn.. it puts Brock above everyone still and you're not sure where its going where if Brock fully screwed Braun over, that's a way to get Braun focused onto Brock and let Roman do other things.