The Brain

Old (Like Really Old) Wrestling

Recently watched this match in my recommend thread, thought I'd share it here in case anyone else is crazy like me and watches wrestling from the very old days:

Gorgeous George vs. Hans Schnabel 3/11/50 Chicago

I think this is only my second time actually seeing George wrestle, but I enjoyed him a lot the first time so I'm excited to see what he's got here. Schnabel is a barrel of a man, I could see him being a rough customer for George. The commentator for this is an absolute pleasure, I've got to say. He sounds like an old news reel guy (and perhaps he was!) and spends a lot of time coyly speaking to the wrestlers as if they could hear him (i.e. "now now George, you mustn't get mad about that!), and he's generally a delight reacting in real time to everything that happens, including marveling and sputtering over George entering the ring with ostrich feathers(!) and the fact that his entrance gear is in fact multiple detachable pieces covered in decorations. The match itself was a lot of fun, I find myself actually enjoying the realistic style of the 50s pretty well overall, especially with guys like these. George is flamboyant as expected but also a true ace on the mat, and a great bumper too, and Hans is a good match for him as a strong guy who is able to throw him around a few times. Also interesting is that Hans is clearly also a heel, a number of times he cheats shamelessly in this one, particularly sending a lot of really powerful looking punches into the stomach of George when the ref isn't able to see. Hans pulls out an awesome looking vertical suplex of sorts to win the second fall (George won the first) and the commentator has no idea what to make of it, and the ring announcer calls it a "blockbuster". The match ends in a DQ when Hans roughs up the referee, and then George tries to waffle him with a wooden chair! The fight is broken up, but honestly that was so fun, it was fantastic in it's own way right up there with some of the best stuff I've seen from other eras. I'll throw it in here in case anyone wants to watch along:

There's also a Lou Thesz vs. Wild Bill Longson match from '52 that I really love. Anybody else ever taken time to watch stuff from this long ago?

I posted this in one of my Undisputed columns... but this is how you make Gagne a star in Chicago!

The Brain
    Nice!! Gonna add that to my list for sure!! Any idea on the date? Comment section says 1/25/52 but I trust you more than random youtube commenters.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    Nice!! Gonna add that to my list for sure!! Any idea on the date? Comment section says 1/25/52 but I trust you more than random youtube commenters.
    That was the date sited by a website. I don't know the exact date for sure, but I have found that date and no other. So I guess that's it.

I feel like this could be a thread for me....

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    Nice channel Coach!! Looks like some real good stuff on there. Find anything particularly good?

This isn't from that page, not is it incredibly old (only 32 years) but I thought I'd throw it in:

My friend and mentor Leo Burke going 60 minutes (edited for TV to 48 or so) with Rick Martel for the AWA Heavyweight Title in '86. Surprisingly modern broadway with a fucking 1986 table bump.

I find a lot of this old wrestling really slow, but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI35OKIuh1s is interesting to watch just to see Fritz Von Erich wrestle.

Rick Martel is fucking awesome.

The Brain
    Ooooh shit, babyface Rick Martel is one of my favorite things ever!! And I've never seen Burke, though I've been meaning to. That one's going right on my list, thanks Coach!

The Brain
    This isn't nearly as old as the first match I posted, but it's quite interesting in it's own right.

Randy Savage vs. Adrian Street 1/28/85 Memphis

I'm pretty sure this was Memphis? I saw something about ICW as well but it says Memphis and Lance Russel is there, so I think it must be. And Miss Liz as a host/presenter at the start of the video! The crowd is super hot, because it's 1985 and crowds were always hot, but also because these two guys are great. Admittedly it's a little hard to get past the fact that Street is the bad guy and worthy of a beating pretty much only because he's effeminate, so he comes off as the face to me in 2018 fighting against a bully in Savage, but putting that aside as far as possible this is a pretty great match, not even so much in terms of pure action but just with how much they do with the time they've got. A lot of the early part is stalling from Street, so much so that Savage walks into the crowd, takes a fan's hat, and sits there, waiting for the match to start with everyone else. He also steals a fan's camera and takes pictures of Adrian, since he doesn't seem to want to wrestle. Once they get into it it's honestly very basic but it just WORKS in context, a lot of it is Miss Linda, Street's valet, pounding on Savage behind the ref's back, and good for her standing up for her unconventional man! Just hot, hot, hot stuff, even the finish as the go sprawling over the commentary table and the whole thing is counted out, I didn't mind it because it felt like the match almost HAD to end that way. Great little find here, some values dissonance but you get such great energy off stuff from this era.