The Brain

Old (Like Really Old) Wrestling

Recently watched this match in my recommend thread, thought I'd share it here in case anyone else is crazy like me and watches wrestling from the very old days:

Gorgeous George vs. Hans Schnabel 3/11/50 Chicago

I think this is only my second time actually seeing George wrestle, but I enjoyed him a lot the first time so I'm excited to see what he's got here. Schnabel is a barrel of a man, I could see him being a rough customer for George. The commentator for this is an absolute pleasure, I've got to say. He sounds like an old news reel guy (and perhaps he was!) and spends a lot of time coyly speaking to the wrestlers as if they could hear him (i.e. "now now George, you mustn't get mad about that!), and he's generally a delight reacting in real time to everything that happens, including marveling and sputtering over George entering the ring with ostrich feathers(!) and the fact that his entrance gear is in fact multiple detachable pieces covered in decorations. The match itself was a lot of fun, I find myself actually enjoying the realistic style of the 50s pretty well overall, especially with guys like these. George is flamboyant as expected but also a true ace on the mat, and a great bumper too, and Hans is a good match for him as a strong guy who is able to throw him around a few times. Also interesting is that Hans is clearly also a heel, a number of times he cheats shamelessly in this one, particularly sending a lot of really powerful looking punches into the stomach of George when the ref isn't able to see. Hans pulls out an awesome looking vertical suplex of sorts to win the second fall (George won the first) and the commentator has no idea what to make of it, and the ring announcer calls it a "blockbuster". The match ends in a DQ when Hans roughs up the referee, and then George tries to waffle him with a wooden chair! The fight is broken up, but honestly that was so fun, it was fantastic in it's own way right up there with some of the best stuff I've seen from other eras. I'll throw it in here in case anyone wants to watch along:

There's also a Lou Thesz vs. Wild Bill Longson match from '52 that I really love. Anybody else ever taken time to watch stuff from this long ago?

I posted this in one of my Undisputed columns... but this is how you make Gagne a star in Chicago!

The Brain
    Nice!! Gonna add that to my list for sure!! Any idea on the date? Comment section says 1/25/52 but I trust you more than random youtube commenters.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    Nice!! Gonna add that to my list for sure!! Any idea on the date? Comment section says 1/25/52 but I trust you more than random youtube commenters.
    That was the date sited by a website. I don't know the exact date for sure, but I have found that date and no other. So I guess that's it.

I feel like this could be a thread for me....

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    Nice channel Coach!! Looks like some real good stuff on there. Find anything particularly good?

This isn't from that page, not is it incredibly old (only 32 years) but I thought I'd throw it in:

My friend and mentor Leo Burke going 60 minutes (edited for TV to 48 or so) with Rick Martel for the AWA Heavyweight Title in '86. Surprisingly modern broadway with a fucking 1986 table bump.

I find a lot of this old wrestling really slow, but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI35OKIuh1s is interesting to watch just to see Fritz Von Erich wrestle.

Rick Martel is fucking awesome.

The Brain
    Ooooh shit, babyface Rick Martel is one of my favorite things ever!! And I've never seen Burke, though I've been meaning to. That one's going right on my list, thanks Coach!

The Brain
    This isn't nearly as old as the first match I posted, but it's quite interesting in it's own right.

Randy Savage vs. Adrian Street 1/28/85 Memphis

I'm pretty sure this was Memphis? I saw something about ICW as well but it says Memphis and Lance Russel is there, so I think it must be. And Miss Liz as a host/presenter at the start of the video! The crowd is super hot, because it's 1985 and crowds were always hot, but also because these two guys are great. Admittedly it's a little hard to get past the fact that Street is the bad guy and worthy of a beating pretty much only because he's effeminate, so he comes off as the face to me in 2018 fighting against a bully in Savage, but putting that aside as far as possible this is a pretty great match, not even so much in terms of pure action but just with how much they do with the time they've got. A lot of the early part is stalling from Street, so much so that Savage walks into the crowd, takes a fan's hat, and sits there, waiting for the match to start with everyone else. He also steals a fan's camera and takes pictures of Adrian, since he doesn't seem to want to wrestle. Once they get into it it's honestly very basic but it just WORKS in context, a lot of it is Miss Linda, Street's valet, pounding on Savage behind the ref's back, and good for her standing up for her unconventional man! Just hot, hot, hot stuff, even the finish as the go sprawling over the commentary table and the whole thing is counted out, I didn't mind it because it felt like the match almost HAD to end that way. Great little find here, some values dissonance but you get such great energy off stuff from this era.

The Brain
    Roddy Piper vs. Jack Brisco, NWA Mid Atlantic Championship 7/7/82 NWA Mid Atlantic

Benjamin Button suggested this one to me, and as always he's an amazing resource for this kind of thing. I'll just say straight up this is fantastic, one of the better Piper matches I've seen. It might also be the first Jack Brisco match I've seen, and color me impressed! I love the Mid Atlantic studio first off, it's small but the fans are passionate, and I love that they have a little news desk for the announcers just off to the side. But on to the match! A whole lot of the work in this one is worked around Brisco applying a simple headlock to Piper, and if you think that doesn't sound awesome then you've got another thing coming! They really WORK the hold, and Piper tries everything under the sun to escape, all while Brisco yanks it like he's trying to separate Piper's head from his shoulders. Whenever Piper does escape he lays some impressive shots on Brisco, smacking him so hard it sounds like a damn gunshot. The finish is a bloodied Piper punching Brisco square in the face with a roll of quarters in his fist, which breaks and spills all over the ring. The ref didn't catch him, so he actually gets the win and the championship! He cuts an incredibly good promo seconds after the match, lying on the floor next to the commentary table with blood on his face and the title clutched in his hands. He claims it was the fans who threw the money in the ring, and he only hit Brisco "with power". He's breathless and pained but in absolute triumph at becoming champion. I strongly recommend checking this one out!

From 1976

Chavo Guerrero vs. a 22 year old Roddy Piper. This was the feud that carried a dying LA territory a couple of extra years. When Bruno stepped aside, Bob Backlund came, when Fritz stepped aside, he had his sons, when Verne Gagne started to fade, Nick Bockwinkle was there, and when Freddie Blassie left, Chavo Guerrero became LA's hero.

The Brain
    Chavo Sr!! Don't think I've ever seen him in his prime. Putting this right on my list!

Chavo Sr!! Don't think I've ever seen him in his prime. Putting this right on my list!
    I found one in 1978 with Piper and his partner vs Haku and Hector Guerrero! Piper in LA is a gold mine vs the Guerreros!

The Brain
    Roddy Piper vs. Chavo Guerrero Sr ??/76 Los Angeles

As I said, I don't think I've seen Chavo Sr in his prime before, and I'm always down for some territory era Piper. I enjoyed the pre-match a lot, as Piper gave the ring announcer a long list of fancy accomplishments to read, and he also played the bagpipes to annoy the crowd, which is a pretty damn good heel tactic when you get down to it. The match itself was odd though. At first Piper and Chavo are just slugging it out and that's ok as far as it goes, but then Piper leaves the ring and someone else joins the match. I couldn't put together who it was, but for whatever reason the referee allowed the substitution and Chavo wrestled this new guy for a few minutes! The new guy didn't seem too good, either, to be honest. Piper and the guy end up throwing powder in the ref's face and then double team Chavo for quite a while, as Piper hits him with some kind of mallet, possibly the ring bell hammer. A new ref comes down and Piper gets the win, and then Hector Guerrero runs out (a little late, Hector!!) but he also is beaten up. Felt like I was missing a piece of the puzzle here, and that this might have been more of a heat building segment than a big blow off match, but it was fine for what it was. Always interesting to dig up history like this!

I'm going to stick with the LA territory, because no one ever talks about it, but this is the first time ever a non-white person won a World title. The crowd HATES Blassie here, and pops huge when Rikidozan was given the victory. I love how Blassie is just not ever cheating. Like his hands lived around Rikidozan's neck!

The Brain
    You're a bloody treasure trove, LWO! Adding that match to the list!

I need to take a day off work just to watch the matches in this thread...can't wait to see the Blassie one!

Just got the chance to watch that Blassie match...man what a fight! What a story. Rikidozan struggled to stay true to his cultural values, while Blassie attempted to eat his head. You're right, I don't know Blassie did anything legal in that match...cheapshots, bites, and chokes...I liked the announcer. The crowd was hot and Blassie sold Rikidozan's legal judo chops like they were literal knife edges. Good fucking fight...

The Brain
    Had a chance to watch Gagne/Thesz, awesome 50s style action. Love how authentic and gritty it all is, every hold is worked to the max, every attack seems important to the outcome. Great stuff, thanks for the suggestion!

Maybe not old enough, but Strike Force challenging for the AWA title!

The Brain
    !! That's gonna be a must watch for me, adding it to my list now!

There was another match of these two teams, but it's basically Greg and Jim tagging in and out only to get put in a headlock by Rick Martel for like 10 minutes straight... LOL.

The Brain
    Ah, that's disappointing. AWA Martel is usually the most fired up guy that ever lived but anything can happen. The Martel/Bockwinkel series is on of my absolute favorites though, for real.

Ah, that's disappointing. AWA Martel is usually the most fired up guy that ever lived but anything can happen. The Martel/Bockwinkel series is on of my absolute favorites though, for real.
    To be fair to the match, Martel was completely fired up the whole time and it felt like the High Flyers were heels because they'd come in, Martel would fire up and put them in a headlock, then Greg or Jim would fight out, tag, the other would come in to a fired up Martel, who'd get them in a headlock and they repeat. It was boring to see them fight out of the headlock, but I could completely see it actually working in modern wrestling strangely enough. The one I posted was a much, much better match, the other one I didn't post though has a weird charm to it.

The Brain
    I honestly don't mind a lot of holds as long as they are working them! High Flyers, super underrated team. After watching some AWA it was hard to switch to the Killer Bees, Brunzell was still good but Blair was nowhere near as good as Greg Gagne, who has a much worse reputation than he deserves.

The Brain
    Watched that Burke/Martel match recommended by Coach!

This can't have been terribly long before Martel went to the WWF to do the Can-Am Connection, but for the time being he's still a big star in the considerable area the AWA covered. The video is labeled '86 but I think the match must have been in '85, because Martel dropped the AWA belt to the all time great Stan Hansen at the end of the year. Burke isn't a guy I have any familiarity with but there's clearly a lot going on here, as there's pre-match promos from the locker room revealing a complex situation going on with The Beast, Kendo Nagasaki, JJ Dillon, and others, but that doesn't actually have much relevance to the match so let's leave that to one side here. I was a little surprised to see Martel working heel here because he was always best as a babyface by a wide margin, but he does a very good job here to his credit. Burke spends a lot of the early part of the match applying a headlock but he does it in such a way that my interest stayed engaged, he works the hold well and they do some fun stuff with Martel fighting out and trying to pick up the pace only to get caught again and getting frustrated. Interesting switch that the heel prefers the fast paced match! This one is looong and we don't even see all of it, as there's a sizeable chunk cut out after the opening minutes leading into the later parts of the match. Still, if you have an appreciation of this style you might find, as I did, that this is actually a great match, and it's the little things that get it there. My favorite bit was very late in the match, Burke is trying to get the 3rd fall and he's got Martel down on his back, all but knocked out, dead to rights, but he's too tired to simply roll over and cover Martel. It may sound like a small thing, and it is, but it's done so beautifully and the crowd is rabid, they KNOW a title change could be 3 seconds away if Burke could just make the cover! Masterful stuff. If you have the stomach for lengthy headlocks, this one may tickle your fancy.

Coach, if there's more Burke you want to recommend, I'd be down!

The Brain
    Watched Blassie/Rikidozan!

I've heard many great things about Blassie the wrestler, and about Rikidozan for that matter, but never saw either one of them actually wrestle before. I've got to say, this was a real blast. I don't think Blassie stopped cheating for one single minute, just scratched, clawed, bit, choked, punched, did everything he could think of in there. He seemed to bust Rikidozan open with his teeth, which maybe lends credence to the story that Blassie would file his teeth to be sharper. Blassie definitely feels like the type who would give nightmares to children, flat out. Rikidozan had a great aura that crosses the decades, he just exudes something really impressive. He was aggressive and did a lot of judo chops but there was just something about him. I'll try to explain, at one point Blassie has been biting him and he's bleeding, and Rikidozan throws him off and then starts striding right at him, and he's getting madder and madder as he wipes blood off his forehead and flicks it at Blassie, who ends up cowering in front of him. I don't know if that explains it or not but it was damn cool in the moment. Also, the announcer kept basically apologizing that Rikidozan wasn't going after Blassie even harder, explaining there are different rules in Japan that stop him from going down on the mat after the man or in the ropes! Super fun only match, a really fantastic look at two legends.

The Brain
    Gonna bump this because I did watch that Strike Force/High Flyers match as well!

Rick Martel & Tito Santana vs. Jim Brunzell & Greg Gagne, AWA Tag Team Championships 7/18/82

Another find by LWO, I love AWA and especially Strike Force so this was very cool to me! I actually had no idea Martel and Santana teamed before the WWF. Their chemistry is already on display in this joined in progress match, and as usual the High Flyers looked really great as well. They’re actually a very good team, Greg is so much better than his bad reputation, and Brunzell was straight out great at times in the early 80s. This match is pretty great fun, especially as we only get to see about 8 minutes. The highlight is definitely the end, where Martel (I believe) taking a jaw dropping bump over the top to the floor to take the countout loss. Lots of fun stuff here, for sure.