Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cody (Rhodes)

If rumors are true and both parties are interested, it could work. I would bet though that Nightmare Collective is aimed for the women's division, so I believe they'd prefer a female wrestler be the person in this place

The Brain
    I think it'd be worth signing Rusev and testing his ceiling, but I think attaching him to an act that fans already don't like would be a needless anchor around his neck.

I would be very much down for a Rusev/Cody match though.

I think that if the Nightmare Collective is for the Women's Division, or attaching him to an act that may not be over with the fans is not a good idea, then you have to bring Rusev in as a face, and have him begin guys like Spears, The Butcher and Blade, Wardlow, then in a few months have him challenge Moxley.

We have all talked out this before, but there really isn't anyone in AEW that are the 'big imposing wrestlers'. So if/when Rusev makes his debut, how does he not run through the roster, with everyone except Moxley?

AEW needs size on their roster, who are active wrestlers. Hager and Wardlow have done nothing, and Luchasaurus is just not it.

Besides, what would Rusev be called in AEW or anywhere else for that matter? I'm almost 100% positive that "Rusev" is trademarked by the WWE, so does he go by Miroslav (his given name)?
    Last edited by Powder; 1 Week Ago at 08:28 AM.

The Brain
    Miroslav actually sounds like a pretty good name to me.

As for his size, I honestly didn't realize he was billed at 300 lbs but regardless I don't think size will really be an issue. Assuming his recent popularity holds up it'll be easy to push him to get a lot of wins based on his size, and when he matches up with the big names there are loads of ways to make the match competitive. Cody is about Shawn Michaels size, for a point of comparison.

Maybe they could channel Khabib in the way they present him, give him a legitimate fighter vibe.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Maybe they could channel Khabib in the way they present him, give him a legitimate fighter vibe.
    I don't believe that AEW could pull that off.

No. Perhaps not.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    I don't believe that AEW could pull that off.
    I think AEW could, but because the fans are shown to be ultra forgiving. They'll stay quiet if there's nothing of value to an idea, but they'll cheer Rusev simply because he's not in WWE anymore.

That's the reason why when I'm thinking about whether it'll work, I don't really think about how their superfans will react to it. Because it looks like trying to gauge how funny a comic is if they only play to crowds full of stoned people.

I don't know how the fans would react to it, I just don't think that the booking arm of AEW could pull off a serious fighter type character.

Pac got to kick Orange Cassidy in the face. But what happens when Rusev is booked in a match involving Best Friends or Dark Order? Even Tully had to play along and be a part of the joke. Their World Champion was eating roll-ups by a pre-teen. MJF, in the middle of his big heat run, got thrown into the pool like a brone.

I don't trust for a second that they could book a charismatic guy like Rusev as a legitimate athletic beast without going goofy "ha ha" with him.

Prime, fair comparison, but that's AEW audience.

Speaking of comedians, I was in the audience for Jim Gaffigan's recent taping on Friday. My fiance indicated that my laugh will definitely be heard when it's released. I don't think she was complimenting me either...

COACH, the AEW humor really is putrid.
    Last edited by PEN15v2; 1 Week Ago at 03:59 PM.

The Brain
    I guess I'm not seeing why they wouldn't be able to pull it off. We've seen grappler and fighter types coexisting on cards with lighter characters for quite a while now in the independent promotions where a lot of AEW guys emerged from. The dynamic isn't exactly the same in AEW, granted, but Coach himself referenced PAC, who has been a pretty straightforward ass kicker despite running across the likes of Orange Cassidy. Sometimes heels get clowned in silly spots, Ric Flair was pantsed on a nightly basis, so MJF getting tossed in a pool being a problem doesn't hold much water with me (ha, ha). I look at a guy like Moxley for comparison and I'm pretty sure neither AEW nor the fans would struggle or be thrown off if he was portrayed as a fighter type.

Or maybe I'm just an ultra forgiving stoned superfan.

Yeah, I don't disagree. I guess what I mean to say is that I'm already implicitly thinking 'could this grow the audience' because clearing the low bar set by the superfans is hardly challenging.

And that post above sums up why I'm glad I've never tried to watch a whole show of theirs.

Edit: Coach's post above, not Mizzie's which was simultaneously posted with mine.

As for Flair, I'm willing to bet if he did lose the pants, it wasn't on TV when he was trying to build heat for a major angle. And if there is a weird example that you can find, that'd be shit too.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    As for Flair, I'm willing to bet if he did lose the pants, it wasn't on TV when he was trying to build heat for a major angle. And if there is a weird example that you can find, that'd be shit too.
    See, this cannot be overstated.

MJF is an over heel in the middle of a huge heat angle, and for chuckles on a boat he was made to look like a fool. They circumvented the "you can't touch me" stipulation for no real reason other than to make MJF show ass.

He still has his heat, but if MJF hadn't been made to look foolish at any point before Cody gets his big win, it feels that much bigger.

Flair got his trunks pulled down, but Dusty's friends didn't do it to him on TV the week after the Horsemen broke Dusty's arm.

Heels have to show ass (no pun), but there's a time and a place. The whipping was a great heat spot, but I'd also consider it Cody's hope spot in the angle (because he refused to give up). They didn't need the pool spot and it only takes away from a strong heel.

Y'know, it's just occurred to me that video of him going in to the pool reached me on twitter. The whipping didn't. In fact, very few of the things that might appeal to me that I hear about appear in my timeline, but the bad comedy seems to cut through most Thursdays, no matter how much I try to avoid it.

So, a though I've had recently - is Cody a man out of time? By which I don't mean his race is run and he should no longer wrestle. I mean is he just a bit old school? I think about the style of his recent matches, the praise he gets and the terms around that, and even down to the way his feuds are built and stories are told and it feels completely atypical of this era - but I think about 30-35 years ago this would have just been really standard stuff, you know?

And his matches - I'm not expecting Cody to start throwing destroyers with reckless abandon as other 'modern' wrestlers seem to want to do (and you can use any big spotty move in the place of destroyers). Outside of that dive he took against Jericho, I can't remember him doing anything that really sits in that 'big spot' category in his AEW matches. But he is going to tell a story in the ring - that in itself feels against the grain in modern wrestling, but very much a throwback.

I wonder if this was just always the case with Cody, which is why his stuff didn't work in WWE as well. Looking back at his best WWE matches, they're the ones where he told a simple story really well - they're not renowned for their high profile spots, but for their careful storytelling. Specifically thinking about the match he had with Goldust at...Fast Lane, was it? I want to say 2015. That thing had this great story running through it, and yet had a crowd that just didn't get it because the match had no flash to it.

Yeah, I don't think you'll get a lot of argument about that. He knows what works and does it, which is why his stuff is some of the only stuff on that show that gets positive reactions more widely rather than just in the committed hardcore fans.

The Brain
    Agree to disagree on the pool thing, I suppose. The way I see it is MJF betrayed Cody and set up a lot of elaborate stipulations to twist him in knots before getting his hands on him, Cody outsmarted him and used his friends to embarrass MJF, giving MJF a chance to create a branch feud with Cody’s allies and giving him more motivation to get vicious in the build up, as we saw in the 10 lashes segment. I get what you guys are saying, you don’t want a big heel to look too weak when building up to a big match, but it was a momentary embarrassment and a feel good moment for Cody in a feud that so far hasn’t gone very well for him. Maybe you save MJF’s first taste of comeuppance, maybe you cash it in during the build as a tease for more. I think there’s plenty of value and precedent for both.

To Ollie’s point, it’s very much my hope that Cody’s style will in the end not be seen as a throwback but rather a focal point in the style of wrestling shifting in the coming decade. The 2010s became so incredibly saturated with super-workrate style matches that I think fans are really hungry for the kind of matches Cody is bringing to the table. That’s my hope anyway, compare the way fans reacted to Cody/Goldust in 2015 compared to Cody/Dustin in 2019 and it’s night and day, and it’s not like the latter was an athletic masterpiece or anything.

Mizfan, you can't compare 2015 to 2019 versions of that feud. Cody is the king of AEW, so anything he does gets priority. In 2015 WWE, he was midcard at best. And it's not because WWE "misused him," but because he was low priority.

I wish WWE would incorporate more Cody style ideas, and I wish AEW did too. His work with Dustin was the highlight of 2019, in my opinion. Best match and likely best angle of the year in any promotion. But a big factor was because it was big fish in smaller pond.

I agree with Pen, to some extent, in that I think he got given a real focus in pursuing that Dustin match. I also think there's probably a lot of fans of AEW who would quite liked to have seen those two have something extended in WWE, so there was a bit of a thirst for it. I know when they had the Fast Lane match in 2015 it seemed to set them up for something more which then just got merged into something multi-man (ladder match, maybe?) at the Mania after and then was basically dropped. From what I recall at the time there was quite a bit of disappointment around that happening.

Funnily enough Oliver I have a column half penned called Jon Moxley & Cody Rhodes: So Old School It's Cool talking about just how crazy old school their current directions are but how on force of personality they have been able to not just pull them off but get them mega over.

For all my lack of interest in AEW due to their wrestling style, I'm always impressed with how old school they go for at least 1 match per PPV. Not only is that match usually the MOTN, but in the case of Cody vs Dustin, it's MOTY.

The Brain
    Of course some elements of 2015 and 2019 are apples and oranges, but my point was both matches likely feature the same amount of “athletic” based spots. In 2015 the crowd was blah, in 2019 they were hyped because so much had been invested in the match, and that’s one of Cody’s biggest strengths. He tries hard to invest in his matches beyond a physical showcase, and in AEW he has the freedom to do that more than ever, and it’s great to see how fans respond to it.

The fact that, like Pen said, these kinds of matches are often getting the most positive praise of the night is really encouraging to me that we could see a shift in what wrestlers value. We’re just so, so over-saturated on that hyper-athlete style, in my opinion.