Review This Song

I wanted to kick off the thread with my old favourite: Pick a song, the next person to post gives it a quick review, at least a few sentences and then picks their own song.

I've found a bunch of new really cool songs through this thread in the past and love seeing what other people think of the music I pick.

Just to get something going let's start off with the song that has gone viral in the past week, This Is America by Childish Gambino:

First off, can we post links instead of embed? It's just my laptop sucks...

Anyway, I didn't really get this. Maybe I'm getting old (I'm nearly 30) but I just don't understand what was good about this video. The music was just odd and didn't grab me in any way. I've heard other Childish Gambino songs that sounded better. Obviously I'm wrong because it's trending and what not, but I just didn't like it.

Here's my own vid. Another Southern rock kind of thing. Hopefully someone will dig it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY1OMXw-hFs

Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    First off, can we post links instead of embed? It's just my laptop sucks...
    I'm starting to wonder if actually 'no', might be the better answer here. I don't want to drive you out of the thread or anything Dude, but the first version seemed to die out pretty much as soon as we changed it up this way and this one hasn't exactly gotten rolling this week. It could be coincidence, but the thread did seem to work a bit better when the videos were embedded.

I mean, if the choice is between getting more people involved in the thread and getting it running, and having a rule that means it sits at the bottom of the board unloved, I think it's a bit of a no-brainer.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Fair enough. I was hoping your reply was you reviewing the song but no

I'll just go and cry into my beer now...

It's a fair point but I haven't been able to think of a song to suggest next all week....

And on that note I'm away for the next few days so I will leave it to someone else. Though as a fan of Southern Rock generally I hope they're into it!

So.... seems this has lain dormant for a while. Will try one and see if that sparks some life back into it.

Kicking things off with a bit of Britpop. Cast were the band formed out of the demise of the band Shack, and was the next band for John Power of The La's (probably best known as the group that did 'There She Goes'). They were signed up as part of the Britpop revolution of the mid-1990s and had a number of big hits, including Walkway, Flying, and this one, Sandstorm. If you like stuff like Ocean Colour Scene and Oasis (and maybe other bands beginning with O, who knows) then this could be for you - if not, give it a miss.

Yeah let's give this a second shot!

I tend to like a lot of the Britpop stuff, some of the Oasis stuff is particularly good however I can't say anything about this particular song really connected with me. As you said it feels like pretty straight Britpop. I did like the singer's sneery tone, kind of what I think Johnny Rotten would have sung like if he was in a Britpop band and not a 70s punk band. The guitar solo about a minute in was fun too. So I'd say that while there was nothing to write home about here it is quite a fun little song and the more I heard it the more I found myself bobbing my head along.

My song suggestion is a bit of a funny one, it is called Something For Your Mind by a band called Superorganisim. The first time I saw them was a video of them performing in a radio studio and I actually thought they were taking the piss with their setup but when I listened I actually found a pretty fun song. Also of note is that the lead singer is the first artist born this century that I've got into. I've posted both the recorded version of the song and also the video I saw of them the first time.

Fair warning though, it certainly won't be for everyone.

I liked it quite a lot actually. Only watched the first video. It reminds me of Ninjatune have you ever heard of that? It's some kind of label that does a lot of similar music to this, I was into it as a teenager. I'm kind of surprised you dig this kinda stuff as it's quite trippy lol. Don't have a lot else to say, but I definitely prefer this to indie/Britpop.

Here's a video to a song I have been playing a LOT recently. If no one digs it.... well I'm weird anyway so who cares.

Here is a journal of my thoughts while listening.
    - Love the opening riff, very cool and immediately catches the ear. Actually sounds like it could be a wrestling song.
    - The layering of guitars at the start is cool once the other guitars come in though seems pretty generic hard rock honestly.
    - Talking/Singing, I like this, the guy is treading the line between frustrated but restrained. I bet he screams soon.
    - Ohh the guitars building in the back certainly make me feel like he is getting madder.
    - Damn these lyrics are so angsty, I feel like it could be from the journal of a teen who wants to escape, however given his voice my bet is that he is that teen that wanted to escape, never did and now wants to destroy the whole place.
    - Yeah, he is bound to scream any second now.
    - There it is.
    - Cool breakdown even if a tad generic. I dunno waht it is but a lot of these hard rock/heavy metal songs all sound the same with their down tuning, heavily distorted power chords. Perhaps this is how indie music sounds to you Dude. It isn't that I don't like it, I just don't find it terribly creatively stimulating.
    - Oh, I genuinely thought it had finished there but it came back, nice.
    - Yeah he is still pissed. I worry about his mental state, I feel like he needs to get out more.

As you can see for me I didn't get tons out of this song. For me it peaked in the opening few bars with the riff before the rest of the band came in. As I said it isn't that I hate this stuff, I just don't find it terribly interesting.

So here is my next song: Holocene by Bon Iver, one of the more pretty songs I know. If you do like it here is a cool breakdown of how it has been composed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lncVHzsc_QA

Took me a while to get to this because the video is unavailable here on copyright grounds, so had to source another one myself. Now I've got to it... it's definitely a pretty little song, as you say. I like the fact that there's a seeming simplicity to the guitar first up but then there's layering effect going on, so it builds into a more intricate and interesting soundscape than you think it might be. But I'm not a lover of the vocals, and find it hard to actually make out any of the lyrics with the way they've recorded this. The range is quite impressive for a guy, I guess, but at the same time even though it's high, it's quite a thin voice.

I listened to another song on the back of this and although it sounded quite different, a lot of these key aspects were still there, and so I guess they've got some settled traits.

Ultimately I'd say I wasn't into this but as it's primarily because of the vocal, I could see why you'd be able to get more out of it than I could.

Ok, something a bit different. Familiar to anyone who watched The Wrestler.