Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    So sorry. I cannot remember and I forget to look back.... I’ ll Edit.

Edit complete. New question posted.
    Last edited by Powder; 09-24-2018 at 09:00 AM.

Hey no problem. Wasn't trying to get at you about it, was just having fun. And you couldn't have checked anyway because they were all before the reset.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

I know, but you do have a point, so I asked a new question.

Question posted again:

Better movie soundtrack: High Fidelity or Singles?
    Last edited by Powder; 09-24-2018 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    As they both made the top 20 in a top 100 influential guitarists list a few years back, John Frusciante or Jack White?
    That is a damn tough one for me as in terms of modern guitarists they would probably be my two favs. They are both driven to be creative and create their own distinctive sonic landscape, not just through their guitar playing but how they use effects and treatments. Both are also incredible riff writers, you could say that Jack White wrote Seven Nation album, which is about as iconic as rock music gets these days and has a bevy of other great songs in the trunk too but John wrote some equally well known riffs: Californicaton, Scar Tissue, Otherside, Dani California, By The Way, Snow (Hey Oh), Under The Bridge, etc. Both are pretty damn good singers too (although that wasn't the question) and have done pretty good stuff outside of their most well known bands - either with other bands or solo.

Ultimately I think I will have to go with Froosh because of how much I enjoy listening to guitar only tracks to the RHCP albums, particularly Blood Sugar Sex Magic & Stadium Arcadium when he really was at his two creative and technical pinnacles although it is a bloody close call.

To your question Powder........

School of Rock

Kidding (although I love that movie's soundtrack) I'd go with High Fidelity as it is just more my thing with some old school stuff like Dylan, Velvet Underground, Elvis Costello.

Now for a little change of pace and style:

Moonlight Sonata or Pachelbel's Canon in D

@Sir_Samuel

Wait, hold on just one moment. Seven Nation Army is used for Sports games all over the place because of it's simple, easily repeatable riff. That makes it popular, not musically awesome. Justin Beiber, Arielle grande etc are all extremely popular, but not musically great.

Moonlight Sonata, for no reason whatsoever.

Let's see...Grease or The Greatest Showman?

Woah Powder, simplicity does not equal bad.

You gona run up on Satisfaction by the Rollings Stones? Whole Lotta Love by Led Zeppelin? Enter Sandman by Metallica? The entirety of AC/DC's discography? In my opinion simplicity can be one of the most powerful things in rock music. Seven Nation Army is a brilliant song but its greatness is shown by the way it has transcended even rock music and become a folk song sung on mass by crowds at sports and stadiums.

I guess it is about tastes though so I won't get too heated. Still comparing Seven Nation Army to Justin Bieber is a bit of a stretch man.

Anyway I'll go with Grease because it was entertaining and is at least only celebrating fictional misogyny as opposed to an actual real life scumbag.

Keeping with the movie theme.

The score to Star Wars or the score to Lord of the Rings?

@Sir_Samuel

Star Wars. John Williams’ score is iconic. And much of the score to the movies have become staples of concerts all over the place. I.e. the Imperial March, and the Main Theme.

Let’s Go Mets or Suprbowl Shuffle (Bears). Better song by a team?
    Last edited by Powder; 09-25-2018 at 09:45 AM.

Never heard either of those, so can I do a write in vote for Tessie by the Droplick Murphys (Boston Red Sox)?

OK...new question:

Rock Hard Rock or Rap/Hip Hop

Obviously Techno! Just kiddin, hard rock but I like both.

Dave Mustaine or James Hetfield?

Hetfield. I just am not a fan of Mustain's voice although many of his songs are good.

Neil Peart or Buddy Rich

if you do not know who Buddy Rich is, please youtube some of his stuff before you choose. He is a drummer from the 30s-80s.

Probably Rich, though drums are not an instrument I know a huge amount about. Back when I was still musical I'd write for most other instruments that I was involved with but we had a really decent drummer and I didn't really understand the instrument particularly well, so I'd just lay out what we were doing and let him work out what he wanted to do with it. So yeah, probably Rich, but I'll hold my hands up and say it's not exactly an informed take.

I'm going to put a twist on the next one:

Your favourite song from 2001-2005

or

Your favourite song from 2006-2010?

No twists on this, no cheating, no write-ins - what do you take?!

Here to Stay by Korn released 2002. I was completely obsessed with the album Untouchables when it came out.

Normal 6 string guitar or Djent guitars?

Favourite songs are a notorious beast at best, mine tend to change and I have different songs that I'd put up for different reasons (eg, best lyrics, best music, etc).

I think ultimately this comes down to Seven Nation Army by The White Stripes v One Crowded Hour by Augie March which are two very different beasts.

Ultimately I think I'd have to go with Seven Nation Army for its sheer memorability. One Crowded Hour's lyrics are great but I can never remember them all.

EDIT, beat me too it Dude.

I'll have to go with a normal 6 string guitar. I don't care a whole lot for metal, at least compared to more standard rock and the six string guitar is about as integral to that as you can get.

I'll keep that going with PT's theme, fav song of the 90s v fav of the 80s
    Last edited by SirSam; 10-01-2018 at 06:17 AM.

@Sir_Samuel

Ah that's difficult.. I'll go with 80s for Master of Puppets!!

Also, I love metal but don't dig these stupid 8 string and beyond guitars, like a lot of people on youtube say, it starts to just sound too low to even really be audible. I prefer to play a six string as well, even though it was fun to experiment with a 7 for a couple of years. Some metal bands hardly do anything but play the lowest string half the damn time, why don't they all just play bass if you're not going to use the smaller strings??!! Rant over.

Jazz or Blues??

I would have to say Blues, because of the Zeppelin, Clapton, Vaughn, and now Freta Van Fleet.

Disco was fun and has a place or Disco sucks?

It would depend on who you ask, personally I don't like it, but I know my step-grandma loves ABBA.

Peter Green or Stevie Nicks? (If you don't know who they are, check out Fleetwood Mac)

Well I'm a guitar player and a blues fan so it's got to be Peter Green really.

Another weird one -

Your favourite 'side one track one' (or album opener for the youngsters)

or

Your favourite last track on an album?

I will have to go with the Side 1 track ones. They are for the most part better than the last song. That does not mean the last songs are bad, but as a whole the first song grabs you and hooks you.

Simple Man

Original by Lynyrd Skynyrd or Cover by Shinedown?

Cover by Shinedown. Just simply prefer it.

In general...

Live Albums or Studio Albums?

Studio. Live Albums are great and have their place but Studio Albums is what makes the music. Except for the Dead and Phish, theirs is the live shows.

However S & M by Metallica is an amazing album, but I prefer studio.

Which would you not feel guilty about if you had to simply eliminate a style of music? And why?

Country, Rock, Rap/Hip Hop, Pop, Metal

Mine is Country, that shit just sucks, and is the worst.

I mean I wouldn't really want to get rid of any of them. I have styles I prefer but I'm not sure I hate anything enough to want rid out of it. And even if I did, I think I'd feel guilty about that kind of cultural annihilation if I were to go through with it. So it's an awkward question to answer.

But as the name of the game is you must pick one - I guess if I had to get rid of one of those it'd be rap music, just because the sheer amount of it that I like is less than the others. Got a lot of time for Metal and Country, and Rock and Pop are just so broad you'd be losing a ridiculous amount of stuff (not to mention where the line is between the two can be really blurry).

As they were the first two acts to win the Kerrang Best Band in the World award....

Marilyn Manson or Slipknot?

Marilyn Manson love the Sweet Dreams and Tainted Love covers, two of the best covers I've ever heard. Honestly Slipknot is borderline unlistensble to me,just noise.

Bob Dylan or Neil Young.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    I mean I wouldn't really want to get rid of any of them. I have styles I prefer but I'm not sure I hate anything enough to want rid out of it. And even if I did, I think I'd feel guilty about that kind of cultural annihilation if I were to go through with it. So it's an awkward question to answer.

But as the name of the game is you must pick one - I guess if I had to get rid of one of those it'd be rap music, just because the sheer amount of it that I like is less than the others. Got a lot of time for Metal and Country, and Rock and Pop are just so broad you'd be losing a ridiculous amount of stuff (not to mention where the line is between the two can be really blurry).

As they were the first two acts to win the Kerrang Best Band in the World award....

Marilyn Manson or Slipknot?
    Slipkknot. Their music is better and longer lasting than Manson's. Manson, now feels like he is clinging to his past successes and Slipknot's new music still is fresh and different.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSam View Post
    Marilyn Manson love the Sweet Dreams and Tainted Love covers, two of the best covers I've ever heard. Honestly Slipknot is borderline unlistensble to me,just noise.

Bob Dylan or Neil Young.
    As an artist and music history Dylan, but all around better and more listenable Young.

Van Halen (1975-1985) or Van Hager (1985-1996)

Only know Van Halen so I'll go with them, also I don't really like the vocals, Eddie's guitar playing is still good today

Also, Slipknot but a mile

Also also, I would have gone with last track because affore mentioned Slipknot's last album tracks are always epic as F, Korn's are always the saddest of the album and I just generally find the last track is one of my favorites. When I was younger and I'd just bought an album I'd sometimes start with the last track.

Also also also, I cannot stand Bob Dylan's voice Great songwriter, terrible singer.

Anyway, Faith No More or Red Hot Chili Peppers?

You definitely know Van Halen with Sammy Hagar. Look up some of the stuff and you will absolutely know them.

Faith No More by a MILE! The RHCP became a Pop group and they are extremely popular, but they haven't been what they were in over 20 years. Mother's Milk was amazing, and then once the pop success of Blood Sugar Sex Magic hit, they lost their punk/counter culture, let's make music for us mentality and became just another "produced for the masses" band.

Disturbed or Breaking Benjamin

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    I will have to go with the Side 1 track ones. They are for the most part better than the last song. That does not mean the last songs are bad, but as a whole the first song grabs you and hooks you.

Simple Man

Original by Lynyrd Skynyrd or Cover by Shinedown?
    I just wanna pop in here real quick and say The Deftones did Simple Man better than both Skynyrd and Shinedown, and it always pisses me off that Shinedown gets the “omg... such an awesome cover!” award. Those guys suck balls. And with that, I’m out of here.

I'm a "pay respect to the original" kind of guy. Just like I prefer NIN's Hurt to bloody stealing Johnny Cash...

In regards to Hurt, Trent Reznor stated “That’s his song now” after hearing Cash’s version.

Yeah, but he didn't write it so Cash can kiss my ass from beyond the grave

I prefer Kurt's Man Who Sold the World, but, he didn't write it. I'll even go as far to say the original kind of sucked.

Another example of that kind of thing is Dylan handing All Along The Watchtower to Jimi Hendrix even to the point where at one point he was basically doing a cover of the Hendrix version arrangement wise at his live shows.

I'd have to say it is the closest cover to a collaboration I know of, Dylan wrote the lyrics and laid out the basic chord structure, Hendrix gave it musical life.

@Sir_Samuel

Yeah I don't have such a hardline attitude towards that question either. Obviously coming first can be an important thing and you don't to downplay the importance of mapping out the ground in the first place but that doesn't mean there aren't times where you can improve on things.

Now to get back to the thread - Eh, I'd probably take Disturbed. The stuff I know of their work has a bit more life in it than the stuff I know from BB.

Choice between what Rolling Stone called the two greatest albums of all time:

Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band, The Beatles

or Pet Sounds, The Beach Boys

You don't have to agree with them and say you think one or the other is actually the best album, you just have to pick which one you prefer.

Sgt. Peppers. Pert Sounds is amazing, but Sgt. Peppers just stands the test of time better. Pet Sounds still has the "60s beach sound" always attached to it.

Peppers has more iconic songs. Every Song I believe was released and are still known by kids today. Pet Sounds cannot say that, regardless of being the best album musically.

Singles Soundtrack or High Fidelity Soundtrack?

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    Better movie soundtrack: High Fidelity or Singles?
    ....... Well, at least it is not Poison and Motley Crue again!

I have absolutely no memory

Ok, I need a disclaimer for this new question. I absolutely hate the Smashing Pumpkins. Always have since they debuted to now. They are an overrated, awful band and I have no idea how they are/were popular. And when the second coming of them, The Queens of the Stone Age came out, they were just as awful.

But with that said, they have one of my all time favorite lines in any song ever, that even with the fact that I hate the band, they wrote an amazing lyric. Ironic, I know.

And the second choice for the upcoming question is from Soundgarden. The line was so good that they took half of it and made it into a movie title. That's how good it is.

Both lyrics stand the test of time, and whenever anyone hears either, they can relate and understand both.

So; which lyric is better?

"Despite all my rage, I am still just a rat in a cage" OR "I'm looking California, but feeling Minnesota"?

As someone who has very little understanding what that second lyric properly means I'll have to go with the second one which is exactly the kind of angstyness that made the 90s and awesome time for music generally.

I enjoy the Smashing Pumpkins but understand not getting them, for her part my wife just Cabot get past Corgan's voice even if she likes the music behind.

Better guitar riff: Layla acoustic or Layla electric?

@Sir_Samuel

Looking California, but Feeling Minnesota means (I believe) that you have high dreams, and high positive outlook, but you are feeling mediocre. California represents the glitz and glamour and Minnesota represents the middle of the road and mundane.

Layla electric. It is haunting and iconic. The acoustic version is special and made a cover of ones own song potentially better than the original, but for me it's the electric version.

Joe Cocker or Janis Joplin...better raspy voice?

Janis Joplin is pretty amazing but "what would you do if I sang out of tune? Would you stand up and walk out on me?"

Joe Crocker takes it.

Dave Grohl as a drummer or guitarist/frontman.

@Sir_Samuel

Going to differ this question, as I can't stand Nirvana, and I'm not a fan of the Foo Fighters either.