Thread: FIFA

FIFA

A thread for the FIFA franchise.

Starting this because it sounds like the demo for FIFA '19 is giving the PSN some issues....

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Got the 10 hour free trial on EA Access Xbox cos I couldn't wait for next week....

It's good. Though disclaimer: I buy Fifa every two years, so I can't comment on comparisons from last years edition. It's fluid, fair, zippy, but most importantly, it feels more realistic.

Doesn't seem to have been taken up by many. I kinda assumed a lot of people were still playing these but has the online stuff taken some of the edge off?

I imagine it was more fun playing when you were in the same room, your mate couldn't rage quit, and you could watch them take an eight-goal mauling.

Oh I still think it's massively popular; might just be this particular forum.

Been playing for the last 2 weeks. As addictive as ever.

Totally hooked. I only play FUT now. The only thing that can hold my interest and they've done a great job expanding that. In 16 I vowed to stop because it seemed like a thankless task. I didn't pick up 17 until a sale during the world cup and they had piled in plenty of stuff in FUT to make things move. That has continued this year. If anything they've gone too far the other way with money easily available if you play quite a bit. However everything stops for Red Dead.

Yeah same, I've barely touched the other modes (just The Journey, which I won't be picking up again). It's the SBCs that hook me more than anything else.

I packed a sweet Sadio Mane on my first day, which I sold straight away. Gave me a good chunk of coins to start with and since then just been playing the market to stay afloat.

Yeah, love that you can do the SBCs on the app too. I had terrible pack luck first week but that has turned and I've pulled some diamonds. Built up a pretty damn solid La Liga team already. Noticed yesterday that Pique and Busquets were going for their buy now so cashed in on them. Currently sitting on 250k. I am thinking I keep saving and the dismantle my team for coin when red dead comes out and see what the cash gets me when I start playing again. Also juggling MyTeam on 2k. Not sure what I did before these modes were invented.

I don't think I've ever played FUT, which shows how long ago that was that I was last playing regularly.

Is that the one that looks a bit like a FIFA version of WWE supercard, where you win games, get money, and improve a kind of super-team?

Definitely appears to be the new wave in gaming. For the makers it lends itself perfectly for this microtransaction trend. For players it's an ongoing challenge where you constantly have goals you can reset without just seemingly doing the same thing over again. The big challenge for the companies is finding the balance between pleasing the free players and giving in to the big spenders. FIFA struggled in 16 which is why I was ready to take a break but they've done really well for the guys like me who might spend a fiver or so once in a while but no more than that. Very addictive when you get in which i guess is the danger for those that could spend (definitely not something to let your kids loose on if they have saved credit card details on your console).

Quote Originally Posted by Mazza View Post
    Yeah, love that you can do the SBCs on the app too. I had terrible pack luck first week but that has turned and I've pulled some diamonds. Built up a pretty damn solid La Liga team already. Noticed yesterday that Pique and Busquets were going for their buy now so cashed in on them. Currently sitting on 250k. I am thinking I keep saving and the dismantle my team for coin when red dead comes out and see what the cash gets me when I start playing again. Also juggling MyTeam on 2k. Not sure what I did before these modes were invented.
    I'm sitting on 100K, but just sniping rare silvers for 250 and selling them on double the price at the moment. Allows me to invest in players for the SBC (though fuck that Hazard SBC, not falling for that again).

Got over 1000 players in the club, so will hopefully be set pretty well for future league SBCs (especially MLS and the inevitable St Patricks Day one). Focused my team on the Premier League mainly cos I packed Salah early on, but got some decent packs overall. Fernandinho is an absolute beast surprisingly.

1000 dang. My club is at 350 or so and I thought that was high. Best player I've packed for profit is Firminho but made some good money of the transfer market when prices are high (made a packet on the SBC for the Champs League with players I had). On the CL upgrade I nabbed an untradeable Douglas Costa too who is a top notch impact sub. And yeah, that SBC Hazard is a joke. Some of those SBCs are overly ridiculous. Some are great bargains. Crazy the difference.

To be fair, it's only cos of previous experience. In FUT 17 I pretty much sold every player that I wouldn't use and it used to drive me crazy buying players back cos weeks later they were needed for an SBC. Lots of the players that come in packs I tend to need later on for SBCs, especially with the loyalty bonus. So in order to make coin I'm just playing games and buying and selling for higher prices.

The rewards for Rivals and Squad Battles are pretty neat too, provided you put the time in.

Yeah they are the game changer really. Picked up Elite 1 in squad battles this morning. Nabbed a Bonucci and an IF Tonelli from the packs which is another 35k. I tend to sell anyone thats worth a decent amount and keep the rest now for the same reasons as you.

Basically completed the MLS SBC from cards I had been saving up. Made a cool 100K profit on selling players from packs. But the best pull was only a 79 TOTW player

Quote Originally Posted by Mazza View Post
    For players it's an ongoing challenge where you constantly have goals you can reset without just seemingly doing the same thing over again.
    I used to quite like doing the same thing over and over again. Two of us playing co-operatively to try and win the world cup with England was basically the only way I played these things for years!