Thread: The XFL

The XFL

We had a good thread going for this before the reset.

Hearing that the AAF is a headache for Vince and Co., that they are already trying to counteract that, and that there's plenty of people predicting that they won't play a single down of football this time around.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Did I hear Snitsky wants to try out for the XFL?

That's crazy if true. Guy has to be about 50 years old now, surely?

Latest I've read from the main page is that they're planning on paying their QBS around $300,000.

I mean it's hardly peanuts but at the same time if you think about NFL as competition you're not going to be getting anything approaching a competitive athlete if that's what the top earners will be making.

Still can't believe they're trying this again

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Latest I've read from the main page is that they're planning on paying their QBS around $300,000.

I mean it's hardly peanuts but at the same time if you think about NFL as competition you're not going to be getting anything approaching a competitive athlete if that's what the top earners will be making.
    I'm not so sure. There are plenty of college QBs that will never get drafted, or haven't been drafted and they are not going anywhere in their post college life, as they were recruited for their Football skills, not their academics. So some, not all, but some of those young men will not have great job opportunities in their future, so taking a shot in the XFL for $300,000 a year is pretty good for me.

Hell, I am a teacher for over 20 years, and if the XFL approached me to play for $300,000, I would take a sabbatical for a year just to earn that cash. So I can imagine that young men without a career yet, or who are not earning near that will definitely take a shot at playing in the XFL.

I read the best CFL quarterbacks make about $500,000 a year, so I guess that's a fair price. Seems like a lot though for minor league football like the XFL.

its going to be lower quality football and its unrealistic to expect them to compete with the NFL

Without a doubt, but Vince is banking on that Baseball is losing the younger viewers, and is trying, again, to capitalize on the lack of football in the Spring. If he was smart, he would partner with Draft Kings or ESPN and get fantasy leagues up and running for the XFL.

Fantasy football in my honest opinion, is THE single most important reason why the NFL has become the number 1 sport in the USA. So Vince should get involved with it like the NFL embraced it.

https://sports.yahoo.com/big-win-aaf...174503810.html

So apparently Vinnie Mac isn't the only one to start a new football league. In a nutshell, The Alliance of American Football just started, and one of their Saturday games did better ratings than a Houston Rockets/ OKC Thunder NBA game. A couple questions on this... 1) was Vince aware that a new football league was debuting a year before the XFL re-launch, and 2) if he is aware, does the fact that this new league beat an NBA game in the ratings (no matter how small... it was only 2.1 to 2.0) give him any false hope that the XFL will be successful this time around?

He was definitely aware as his ex-partner in the original XFL helped launch the AAF. The original XFL drew big ratings it’s first games too until the novelty wore off. It does sound like people enjoyed the AAF though and it’s launching in this climate of a softening NFL which can help it. Many people are sick of all the rules.
    Last edited by comfortablynumb; 02-11-2019 at 12:34 AM.

I dunno, my gut is that another football league starting up has to be bad news for the XFL rather than good. I can't help but think that they are going to be competing for the same players and fans, and that the fact they come up a year or so behind.... it just seems to me that it's another thing to overcome.

I agree but they knew this from the start though. It’s not a surprise to them. I’m sure the XFL’s goal will be a merger in a couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    I dunno, my gut is that another football league starting up has to be bad news for the XFL rather than good. I can't help but think that they are going to be competing for the same players and fans, and that the fact they come up a year or so behind.... it just seems to me that it's another thing to overcome.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Well looks like the XFL will soon be losing its only competition unless the NFL bails out the AAF. Vince was smart to take his time.
    Last edited by comfortablynumb; 03-27-2019 at 03:37 PM.

Just read an article on that, and I don’t get it. The AAF wants to be a “development league” using young NFL players in their league... almost like MLB and their minor leagues. At what point did the NFL enter into an agreement with the AAF, and why does the AAF think they deserve to use NFL contracted players? That just seems... huh?

I agree. They seem to be saying "NFL save us" when NFL has no interest either way in their success.

To get back to the XFL (and away from the de-rail of the AAF)... apparently Vinnie Mac sold some more of his stock today to help fund the XFL... to the tune of $270M. You would think this is an early response to the AAF seeking more money before they have to fold. Kind of like... “I’m a billionaire, dammit! Let me keep throwing money at this, and I’ll prove I can do it on my own without the NFLPA!” Thoughts?

It was announced that ABC/ESPN will carry the XFL games starting in 2020

They will cover production costs of the games but the networks aren’t paying for games so if the XFL is a success, Vince will have to be patient and put a lot more money in the first few years and hopefully build a base