What's your team?

Obvious enough thread this. Who is your team, and if you fancy sharing a few words, why? Especially interested in that if there's a bit of a story behind it. I've generally been drawn strongly to 'local teams' of mine so if you've picked one that is halfway around the country/world, I'm intrigued on how you got there.

So yeah, share - let's see who supports who on the board!

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

My teams... okay

LA Lakers - I grew up in California, I loved the Lakers since I was a boy. Magic was my favorite player of all time, and Shaq was my second favorite. I tolerated Kobe because he won us titles. LOL... after 38 years, I'm a lifelong fan.

Oakland Raiders - The Raiders were in LA when I was a kid. They moved to Oakland, but I followed them because I just love everything about them. The colors, the player they usually get are tough, rule breakers. I fit the fanbase like a glove. Even after 15 losing seasons, I'm never giving up my Raiders! Ever.

LA Angels - They had Jim Abbott when I was a kid. I decided to follow them over the Dodgers because Dodger fans annoyed me. I followed them through some losing seasons, but when they won the World Series it was the most rewarding time being a fan. The Dodgers haven't won the World Series since 1988, but when the Angels won in 2002, being the underdog, being the second team to the Dodgers, there wasn't a better feeling.

Still working on a football team for MLS, but I usually always rooted for the LA Galaxy because they had Cobi Jones and Landon Donovan, but now that I live in Minnesota and I actually don't like Zlatan (though my son has his Manchester United jersey), I am leaning MNUFC, just because I can take my kids to the games.

MLB - The Mets. When I was a kid and in 1983 Darryl Strawberry was a rookie, he made me a Met fan, and I have never looked back.

NFL - The Jets. I am not really sure why, but I am a Jet fan.

NHL - The Islanders, I grew up around the corner from the Nassau Coliseum and they are the local team, it also helpd that when I was 5-9 they won 4 straight cups.

NBA - look at the Big Four thread, because no team, because basketball sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    MLB - The Mets. When I was a kid and in 1983 Darryl Strawberry was a rookie, he made me a Met fan, and I have never looked back.

NFL - The Jets. I am not really sure why, but I am a Jet fan.

NHL - The Islanders, I grew up around the corner from the Nassau Coliseum and they are the local team, it also helpd that when I was 5-9 they won 4 straight cups.

NBA - look at the Big Four thread, because no team, because basketball sucks.
    You root for all the losing teams in NY... you poor poor soul. And no wonder you think the NBA sucks. The Nets/Knicks haven't been good in 20 years.

Yes, i am a glutton for punishment, but that has nothing to do with why I hate basketball. I used to really like it, when it was basketball and not a farce.

Football (Soccer) - Arsenal, obviously. Gooner is essentially a name for an Arsenal fan, for those unaware. Born Londoner so it was really between them, Chelsea or Spurs. I liked red apparently when I was 2 years old. The rest is history. I grew up in Spain, so I followed Barcelona there. And that was when they were clearly second best to Real Madrid in the early 00s.

Tennis - While not a team, I'm a fierce Roger Federer fan. Hoping to grab some Wimbledon tickets next year in the hope of seeing the man play on grass before he hangs up the racket.

NFL - Giants mainly. No particular reason, but it was probably because of the first Manning/Brady Superbowl which ended in dramatic fashion. I have a lot of respect for the Patriots though, it's some dynasty they have had.

NBA - Started as a Bulls fan (Jordan, obvs. Plus my real name is Jordan, so that helped), but I'm merely a passing fan now. Don't understand the game enough to warrant becoming a fan of any particular team.

That's about it in terms of teams I have an affinity to. I find I tend to follow athletes individually, Federer as previously mentioned, but also Lewis Hamilton, Tiger Woods and Mark Selby (Snooker).

Football, Aston Villa and England. Like many people I also have a bit of a weakness for Barcelona, though I don't follow the Spanish game especially closely. Could probably name 'preferred' teams in many leagues but those are the main bases.

Rugby, mainly the England national team but I also support a small team in Wales that at most two members will have heard of, and an even smaller team in North West England that I doubt anyone will have heard of. In terms of bigger clubs, I've got a soft spot for Leicester Tigers because of the amount of time I spent in that part of the world and the fact I went to see them a few times.

Cricket, England and Warwickshire. Yes, I'm one of the only people in the world that still follows county cricket.

NHL - Edmonton Oilers. To put it into some kind of perspective the team I started following had Tommy Salo, Doug Weight (the name on the back of my first jersey!), Bill Guerin, Ryan Smyth, etc.

MLB - Boston Red Sox. Started following them when they hadn't won for about 75 years at that point and found something incredibly romantic about the whole curse of the Bambino thing. Within a couple of years of following they'd won it again so that was down the tube, but I was already on board by that point.

In the NFL I don't really have a team as such. I started following when I was pretty young and still very wedded to a 'you support your local team' idea, and not having a local team I found that I attached myself much more to the game than individual teams. So it's a more fluid affair, where I can like and dislike a team more or less depending on what they're doing at the moment and even who they're playing against. In the AFC I tend to have Cleveland near the top of my list, both from a very British love of an underdog and that spell when Villa and the Browns were both owned by Randy Lerner. Plus I played a lot of Madden with them in the Franchise mode. But most of the teams I prefer are in the NFC, with the Giants usually sitting near the top of the list, mainly down to SuperBowl XVII.

And as you might know from other threads I don't follow Basketball... but I've always liked the name 'Charlotte Hornets' if that counts or anything!

I think that's about it - pretty much everything else I follow is an individual sport.

I've got a lot of Football teams I follow - essentially one for every European league. West Ham are my main team, being from England - my Dad was a fan, so I grew up with them, and despite brief dalliances with liking a couple of other teams they were always the one I was looking most at. Finally all clicked for me in the mid- to late-90s, the era of Lampard, Ferdinand, Kitson, Hartson, Berkovic, Moncur, Breacker, Miklosko, and my favourite Stan Lazaridis. Even I don't know how that one happened.

Otherwise - Toulouse are my French club, Palermo my Italian, Anderlecht my Belgian, Celta Vigo my Spanish. I don't really have a German one, although I've always liked Mönchengladbach.

Basically I don't like any good teams, except Anderlecht.

NFL - I like the Bengals because they look like cats.

Who do you support in Wales, Pete?

Football: Cardiff and Wales
    Rugby: Cardiff and Wales
    F1: McClaren for my sins.
    NFL: Seattle Seahawks
    WWE: Too Cool
    Darts: Gerwyn Price/Simon Whitlock

When you say Cardiff for the Rugby, do you mean Cardiff Blues in the Pro14, or Cardiff RFC in the Premiership - or do you not really think of there as being a distinction?

But to answer your question to me, Pontypridd. Grew up watching Neil Jenkins, Dale McIntosh, Kevin Morgan etc. I miss the days where they were a genuine decent side before the regional shit came in and ruined it, and they became a semi-pro feeder club. It's not the same now, but they're still my club.

But yeah, very small in the grand scheme of things and only a handful of people outside Wales will know anything about them.
    Last edited by Prime Time; 6 Days Ago at 07:00 PM.

In order:

Buffalo Sabres (NHL)
    Buffalo Bills (NFL)
    Yankees (MLB)

I have other rooting interests but those three are the main.The two Buffalo teams I hold much higher than the Yankees though since they are basically hometown teams for me. I'd lose my shit if either one ever won a championship.

How can you like the Bills and the Sabres, and the go and root for the Evil Empire themselves? I would think you would be a Blue Jays fan, being up there.

Football - Man United. A family thing, I had no choice.

I have a very soft spot for both Chester (hometown) and Airbus UK who I played for when they pretty much started out, great times

AFL - Carlton. I lived in Carlton when I arrived in Oz. Carlton Vs Collingwood are the United v Liverpool of Oz, and my mates supported Collingwood... so that helped my choice

They’ve wooden spooned 3 times since I’ve been here

I live in Connecticut. Since we've only ever had one pro team, I consider it sports free agent state and even if I didn't, I don't really care about state pride, only if I could go to the games and I don't go to games so....

Anyways, most people here root for either Boston or New york teams...In Hockey, I grew up with the Whalers and was able to go to games then as a kid... I stuck with them when they left because I hated the Bruins and because I couldn't watch other teams in the area to latch onto as a fan. The Rangers for example were available on my cable system when i was younger and I'd watch them but they stunk at the time and the Hurricanes would make the playoffs... Now I can't watch the Rangers locally..but i'm blacked out on Gamecenter so its easier to watch Hurricane games when i had that.

As for the NBA, Celtics fan growing up cause my favorite uncle was. This was during a time in the mid 90s when they were really bad.

Cowboys fan again cause of my uncle.

Mets fan because i didn't want to root for the Yankees or Red sox, and my favorite color is Orange..I had Mets Pj's lol

I'd probably rank it...

Mets
    Cowboys
    Celtics
    Hurricanes

I'm more into the MLB, NBA, NFL than NHL where i only watch playoffs from NHL at this point.
    Last edited by LK3185; 5 Days Ago at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    How can you like the Bills and the Sabres, and the go and root for the Evil Empire themselves? I would think you would be a Blue Jays fan, being up there.
    Screw Canada. Don Mattingly is the reason I like the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    When you say Cardiff for the Rugby, do you mean Cardiff Blues in the Pro14, or Cardiff RFC in the Premiership - or do you not really think of there as being a distinction?

But to answer your question to me, Pontypridd. Grew up watching Neil Jenkins, Dale McIntosh, Kevin Morgan etc. I miss the days where they were a genuine decent side before the regional shit came in and ruined it, and they became a semi-pro feeder club. It's not the same now, but they're still my club.

But yeah, very small in the grand scheme of things and only a handful of people outside Wales will know anything about them.
    Cardiff Blues - there’s a BIG distinction in my family! Pontypridd is an interesting choice. I remember them being decent too, sadly.

Ohh... in Wrestling I support Rikishi and The Usos. And whatever child comes from them.