What sport are/were you best at?

I'm sure we've all had a go at something, at some point in our lives, whether that was in school or in our spare time. So what have you tried, and what would you say you were the best at?

I've had a go at a lot of stuff and was probably best at football (soccer to the Americans). As long as I didn't have to play in goal, or weirdly in central midfield, I was decent enough. Could defend well enough to take pretty decent players out of the game unless they had a bit of intelligence, and had enough game knowledge to play on the wing without much speed (basically I was a poundshop David Beckham) or upfront despite finishing only marginally better than Raheem Sterling. As a striker my speciality was back to goal and bringing others into the game, so I was more effective than flashy - though I did used to like trapping the ball with my left foot on the edge of the box while immediately swivelling to belt it into the top corner with my right, and I'm told that used to look OK!

Other than that I used to be a half decent medium pace bowler in cricket but I've lost that completely over the years. The radar is all over the place and I have to trundle up to even keep any semblance of line and length. And I played a bit of Rugby in my younger days but other than getting around the pitch and hitting rucks and making tackles I wasn't much good at it.

Generally speaking, though, I was better at things that required a bit of thought and positional knowledge than I was at things that were purely athletic, so I never did great at things like sprinting, jumping, throwing etc.

Anyway, that's me. How about you guys? Share your stories of sporting glory!

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

I played football as a kid, once getting a trial at Charlton Athletic as a junior, but didn't make the grade. Shortly before that I had moved to Mallorca when I was 7 and played for a local team there. Lost interest in playing football though when I had turned 11 or 12 thanks to a racist coach. Won't go into detail, but he wasn't particularly pleased his best player was English...

I picked up badminton when I was 15 and have not looked back in 13 years. Play county level badminton now. I'm a decent regional player, but haven't got the stamina, physique or talent to improve much more these days.

In high school I played American Football, and I made all league in my local area. I was too small to play my position in college, but for high school I got 5 sacks and 10 tackles in the backfield in 10 games. I was considered really good, but I wasn't big enough to go to the next level. I did play a little in college, but changed positions. I quit when my mom died, as I just didn't have the heart after that.

As a young man I was really good at baseball. I was a lefty pitcher who threw 90+ MPH. I got really screwed out of a scholarship by my High school coach because he was a biggot (hated jJwish people) and wiped the taste out of my mouth. If I continued to play for my college (not any real baseball school) I could have been drafted because every lefty pitcher who throws 90 gets drafted.

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    As a young man I was really good at baseball. I was a lefty pitcher who threw 90+ MPH. I got really screwed out of a scholarship by my High school coach because he was a biggot (hated jJwish people) and wiped the taste out of my mouth. If I continued to play for my college (not any real baseball school) I could have been drafted because every lefty pitcher who throws 90 gets drafted.
    My son bats left handed... I'm half tempted to force him to play baseball, because if you are lefty in anything baseball, and you are above average, you can be drafted. LOL... It's funny because my boy are 2 of 9 nephews, and each of us men look to see if they throw or bat left handed. Once we see a lefty, all of us go, "put him in baseball!"

Do it. Lefties will always be coveted in MLB!!

Fairly even between rugby and discus, but the rugby is a lot more fun.