The Brain

Classic TNA Thread

Surprised we don't have a catch all thread for the company, so I thought I'd at least start one for people to talk about the older stuff. Just rewatched the brilliant '05 triple threat with AJ, Joe, and Daniels, and it definitely held up, probably the best ever match in that style. They had a lot of great stuff over the years, though they supplemented it with plenty of crap as well. Any particular memories or stories about this long troubled company before they reset into what they've now become?

I was really into it from 2010 until... I guess 2013, it would have been. For parts in there it's probably the most I've been into wrestling since the turn of the millennium.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    I do think they hit their peak TV from 2011-13, though it seems if you ask the core original talent they much preferred the earlier years when Jarrett was in charge. I imagine at that time the Panda Energy money was flowing freely at that time, which no doubt helped a lot with that inside perception!

I consider impact now and TNA with Dixie and Jarrett as entirely different companies at this point.. so i'm glad there's a TNA thread.

The Brain
    That was my thinking as well, they're so radically different now than even a few years back. Really glad they dropped Jarrett and a lot of the other people who first tried to make the transition last year, that was very rough for a while but the seem to have come out looking much better these days.

The most enjoyable TNA ever was for me was the summer/fall of 2009 and March 2013 to July 2013. Vince Russo is rightfully shit on for many things but there was a brief moment in time where he finally did get things right during that 2009 period; there was a beautiful sort of chaos to everything going on, the Main Event Mafia peaked as a stable, the wonderful (and all too brief) World Elite stable was formed with Eric Young as its leader and most importantly TNA finally went all in on AJ Styles and made him the top guy. They really turned a corner during that time...and then decided to bring in Hogan and Bischoff, who promptly reset everything (Styles went from champ to putting over Rob Van Dam and becoming just another dude in Ric Flair's Four Horsemen rip off) and set the promotion back with WWE retreads and terrible nWO rehash (among other things). Granted Russo probably would've fucked it up anyway but he at least had something before those two came and nuked it.

The 2013 period was even better and an even bigger missed opportunity to me. When people shit all over the Aces and Eights stuff they have a tendency to focus too much on the beginning and end while completely ignoring the middle. If they didn't they'd realize the middle portion of the angle wasn't just good, it was phenomenal. TNA completely got it right in revealing Bully Ray as the leader of Aces and Eights (a perfect example of how a reveal sometimes can work when it's the most obvious choice instead of a swerve for the sake of it), 100% nailed his explanation for how the group was formed and their motivations and set up a legitimate group of challengers to try and take them down. I remember doing a mega column with several people in this forum (including mizfan) where we made legitimate arguments for AJ Styles (who TNA set up as the 1997 Sting during this period), Matt Morgan (who was trying to prove to Hogan he had overlooked him) and several others to be the one who could topple Bully and Aces and Eights and they were all plausible. Even with Aces and Eights not having the greatest group of workers, they got it right.

And then they completely and totally screwed it up by pushing Chris Sabin over Bully Ray at the wrong time. I think Sabin is a really good worker and at one point he was definitely deserving of a TNA Heavyweight title run; unfortunately TNA picked a time where he was cooled off to try and make him the 1997 Lex Luger to Bully's Hollywood Hogan. It all came off as flat, it stalled Aces and Eights momentum (not to mention all the other guys who could've beaten Bully) and Sabin never got close to getting over. Even worse was TNA reverted back to the old TNA from that point forward; suddenly Tito Ortiz was running around, matches were declared no contests right before commercial breaks and then were started up right after with no explanation and by the time Styles finally beat Bully at Bound for Glory the whole thing had turned into "AJ vs. Dixie" (which was awful because Dixie was a terrible onscreen heel). And that's just the stuff off the top of my head.

Sadly that's been TNA/Impact's problem since the dawn of time. There will be interesting, even compelling stories, here and there, but before long something or someone will come along and it'll revert back to destroying your hopes and dreams (much like WWE ironically enough). I'm thrilled at the work Don Callis and Scott D'Amore have done to bring some consistency to Impact these days but even they've slipped up a bit; I'm completely baffled at how Impact went from what looked to be Eddie Edwards vs. Austin Aries at Bound for Glory to an out of nowhere Johnny Impact-Aries match.

The Brain
    Really good breakdown there of how good the Aces stuff was at it's peak, and how quickly and badly it went wrong.