Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar

ROH Research for a Seth Rollins / Tyler Black Column Series

So this thread may die a tragic death but I'm gonna try my luck.

I'm currently planning a column series based around Seth Rollins, and a part of me wants to include a part of his time in ROH. But I don't know much of anything about that part of his career, other than he was in Age of the Fall and was an ROH World Champ.

So I was wondering if anyone was in a position to tell me what were some of Tyler Black's most defining title matches during his stint in ROH, thinking only about matches in which he WON or SUCCESSFULLY RETAINED a championship?

Specifically I'm looking for three or four (five as maximum) matches from each title run of his that distill his stint as that particular champion in ROH.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'll obviously acknowledge any help provided in the resultant column(s).

My resources are limited in terms of product access too. I have the two DVDs on Black they produced, and wonder if ROH have a streaming service where their archive is available or something?

Honor Club. $99 for a year for the standard membership, $120 for VIP, or you can also do $9.99 for the standard. They added a 10-hour Tyler Black collection just last week'm

As far as matches, I really liked his World Title match against Austin Aries at one of the Final Battles, but I think I'm in the minority.

I think Respect Is Earned II is the event, but Black and Jacobs (as AotF) vs Danielson and Aries is a tag team match I liked.

There's a triple threat with Aries and Strong from Big Bang I enjoyed too.

A lot of his best stuff, I fell, was either in non-title singles (vs Danielson, vs McGuinness) or tags (vs MCMG). The match where AotF lost the titles to Steenerico is good, too.

I don't know if in hindsight i'd feel differently, but the thought at the time was that Tyler/Seth would do so much better at WWE than he would at ROH. The feeling was he wasn't that interesting a worker for a typical ROH main event at the time and they pulled the trigger on him almost a year too late.

The Brain
    Happy to offer what knowledge I have! I can't swear to the value you'll get on Honor Club, as I've had issues with their distribution in the past, but admittedly I haven't used them recently so they may well have gotten their service together in the interim. I do hear better things now than in the past.

So, as far as titles go, Black held the tag team championships twice, both times with Jimmy Jacobs as part of Age of the Fall, and was indeed also a ROH champion.

The first tag title reign:
    December 30, 2007 to January 26, 2008 (27 Days)

Probably not your best bet. Winning the titles from the Briscoes at Final Battle '07 might be of interest. Their only successful defense was a four way elimination match at Proving Ground '08.

The second title reign:
    June 6, 2008 to September 19, 2008 (105 Days)

This could provide you some better material. I would recommend both the match where they won the titles and especially their first defense, if you can dig them up:

El Generico & Kevin Steen vs. Jimmy Jacobs & Tyler Black, ROH Tag Team Championships 6/6/08 ROH Up For Grabs
    Bryan Danielson & Austin Aries vs. Jimmy Jacobs & Tyler Black, ROH Tag Team Championships 6/7/08 ROH Respect is Earned II

The world title reign:
    February 13, 2010 to September 11, 2010 (210 Days)

Consensus generally is, as mentioned by LK, that ROH waited too long to put the title on Black, but there's still some good stuff in the reign. I've only seen some of these, but from what I gather his top 5 best defenses are generally considered to be:

1. Davey Richards 6/19/10 ROH Death Before Dishonor
    2. Austin Aries & Roderick Strong (3way) 4/3/10 ROH The Big Bang
    3. Kevin Steen 7/24/10 ROH Salvation
    4. Roderick Strong 5/8/10 ROH Supercard of Honor
    5. Austin Aries 2/13/10 ROH 8th Anniversary Show

Hope that's of some use, looking forward to the column!

Its amusing that three of those guys in the title defenses have been with the WWE, two of them currently and one in Steen/Owens... and Kevin and Seth still haven't had a real feud.

The Brain
    Didn't they?? I could have sworn I remembered them having a Hell in a Cell match at some point.

Did he have a series with Richards, or is that me misremembering?

The Brain
    They had a fair number of matches over 09-10 for sure. Not sure if I'd call it a series or not but I'm not the #1 guy to ask about ROH stories from that era.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    Didn't they?? I could have sworn I remembered them having a Hell in a Cell match at some point.
    I believe you're right. They've had 6 singles matches on WWE TV and PPV. Three in 2016 when Kevin Owens was universal champion. I think I don't remember that well because it involved Trips turning on Seth to give Kevin the title. Their best match together is probably that excellent Raw match they had a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    Happy to offer what knowledge I have! I can't swear to the value you'll get on Honor Club, as I've had issues with their distribution in the past, but admittedly I haven't used them recently so they may well have gotten their service together in the interim. I do hear better things now than in the past.
    I got it about three weeks ago and have watched several shows on it. I have had two issues so far:

1. Some of the events there is an ad (for Honor Club, which is just dumb) that plays before the show starts and can break the stream. As long as you click the "skip this ad" on the right side prior to the timer going away, it's fine.

2. And this one I have only had with BITW 2018, so YMMV. That show doesn't like being paused for more than a couple of minutes, so if you get up to do something, you will lose the stream and might have to restart the app/system and "fast forward" in order to continue watching it. This same problem I have had with NJPW World, too, on the Kindle Fire TV Stick.

The Brain
    Xan, how is the back-catalogue on the service? ROH has had a bad history of not making their older events available but I keep hoping they've gotten on the ball with that.

They have 2011 forward, as far as entire shows. What they have been doing is adding these wrestler compilations instead of full shows. Those seem to be occurring about every other month. I was actually wrong on the Black one, as it was added back in July and an AJ Styles one was added Monday. At that rate, once they get through all the popular guys currently in WWE, maybe they'll work on adding the full shows and in a century or so they will all be on there.

The Brain
    Haha, gotcha. Wonder if those collections are just the DVDs they've released in the past or new selections. Would love to see the full catalogue go up at some point, especially since their period of biggest acclaim was well before 2011.

I thought there was something about rights issues from before 2011, so they may only be getting the licenses for those shows piecemeal; I believe 2011 is when Sinclair bought Ring of Honor.

Its more just editing the music out and all that. They are not known for having all the footage digitally either... I'm sure they're working on it but with such a small catalog, i'm guessing they don't want to put the whole thing thing up yet, anyway.

Ahhh, that makes sense. Personally, I don't see it as a small catalog. I mean, sure, it isn't WWE-sized, but they were running like a show a week for a few years and putting out DVDs for all of them, so they have plenty of content, as far as I'm concerned. Unless you simply mean they want to have more to put press releases out for, which I totally get.

The Brain
    Yeah, I wouldn't call it small, there's a ton of ROH footage out there. I just find it weird because other companies like CHIKARA have their entire back-catalogue out there with about 1/1000th the resources of ROH. Hopefully at some point they get it all together.

Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar
    Just wanted to drop a big thank you to you guys for helping me out! This has given me some solid pointers to go out and get started.

You're very welcome, brotha.

The Brain
    If you do check out any of the ROH stuff, I'd love to hear your thoughts!