Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Being on Bush league channels sucks.

They fucked up the schedule and have been broadcasting MMA instead of the RevPro repeats. If you missed the first time around, you missed week one it seems.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Hoping that the issue has been sorted and that RevPro repeats will air as advertised this week.

Initial reports were very positive.

The Brain
    I would think so, I'd say they are my favorite product in the UK at the moment!

I'll throw in a review of something not from 30+ years ago, just to keep it fresh!

El Ligero vs. Ego Dragon, No Ropes, Mask vs. Mask 10/28/12 SWE Halloween Havoc

So, I didn't manage to avoid the spoiler right in the name of the video (who does that??), but I don't think it would have mattered much since while I know the name, it doesn't mean anything in particular to me. Definitely dig Dragon's mask though, even if it's a take on Super Dragon's (and maybe something earlier?). I'll just say overall I thought this was a great, albeit perhaps a bit overly indy at times, grudge match. I could have lived without a couple of the headshots, which seemed too dicey to be used in 2012, but they were trying to get over hatred and hopefully not doing this on the regular so there we go. Really enjoyed how they used the no ropes stip, some really creative stuff, great use of space overall. Definitely a Ligero fan but the man under the Ego mask impressed me more than he has in other matches. This is one that might be worth checking out for those interested in the pre-current boom UK indy scene.

Ligero/Ego
    Last edited by mizfan; 10-29-2018 at 04:20 PM.

I used to live pretty near where they ran a lot of Southside shows and I didn't actually get to go.

This RevPro show is a bit of a pain in the ass - I've not been able to catch it yet because I don't get the channel and can't record it, and it's at a time when it's really not conducive to being sat with your computer open.

The Brain
    I'm assuming there's no version available online to be watched anytime? In this day and age they're gonna want to try to get that, if possible.

So far as I can tell they can't even put it on their on-demand service.

And still no sign of anywhere to watch WOPW on the net so far as I can see, other than when it's live on the actual channel. Basically I think I have to accept that I've missed this now.

Taking a quick look at how many people on the GPW roster - who are a medium-sized indy operating near me in the Northwest - might be affected by these NXT UK contracts. Just going by who is listed on their roster page.....

Ashton Smith
    El Ligero
    Sam Gradwell (GPW British Champion)

That's not so bad as I thought it could have been.

Futureshock aren't as badly hit as I thought either, though I imagine they are losing Zack Gibson which has to be a blow.

The Brain
    Just noticed Charlie Morgan is apparently signed now. Bummer for me, I'd just started to discover her this year and she seems awesome but I don't know if WWE will know what to do with her. Time will tell I suppose, as it will with all of this.

The Brain
    Couple of British matches, more than 40 years apart and I loved them both!

Steve Veidor vs. Gwyn Davies, 2 out of 3 Falls, British Heavyweight Championship 5/26/76 World of Sport

My first exposure to one of the heavier classes of World of Sport, courtesy of Pete, thanks for that! And guess what, I still just love these Brits! The presentation is as great as ever, and the crowd is invested in everything because every move is filled with meaning. Veidor seems to be quite a star, I'd love to see more of the guy. There are better matches to start with if you haven't seen any classic British matches, but as far as digging into a new division, this was fantastic!

WALTER vs. Zack Sabre Jr, PROGRESS Championship 10/28/18 PROGRESS Pumpkin Spice

This has been, with no exceptions, my favorite in ring pairing of the year. They killed it over Wrestlemania weekend and they killed it in Germany, and now they killed it here more than ever before. I wasn't sure at first if the longer length would help them, but by the end I was absolutely entranced. What I've loved about this pairing is that Sabre seems to have decided the only way to get through the immovable object that is WALTER is to go straight through him, exposing himself to devastating offense and waiting patiently for a mistake or for WALTER to finally exhaust himself. There are few moments all year that I've enjoyed more than Sabre clinging to WALTER's arm, racked from a downright disfiguring barrage of chops, still unwilling to take a back step and taunting WALTER for more as he can barely keep himself conscious. Well worth going out of your way to see, this is in my top 5 for the year! Thanks to Oliver for recommending it! Every time I want to write PROGRESS off as the Sunday Night Heat of NXT, they throw something like this at me!

Discovered some interesting things about the size of the British audience in the early 1960s. There was speculation that wrestling was the most popular TV sport. Sounds like the most popular show in 1962 had about 10% of the country watching. Meanwhile, on specials that they ran on FA Cup Final day (closest thing we had to a Superbowl), then they estimated around 16 million viewers watched - and that's newspaper estimates rather than coming from the promotion.

That's literally a quarter of the country. Insane!

The Brain
    Pretty amazing numbers! Damn shame the scene died out for so long, it really was an enormous deal at it's peak.

Speaking of some peak British wrestling!

Pat Roach vs. Tony St Clair, 2 out of 3 Falls ??/80 World of Sport

Some more World of Sport from my man Pete! My first time seeing both guys. Tony St Clair seems like a pretty straightforward guy of the style, nicely technical and fun to watch, but it’s Pat Roach who stood out to me by a mile here. At 6’5, he’s absolutely enormous for the Britsh scene at the time, and has a pretty intidimating and overpowering presence. Definitely getting a bit of a Timothy Thatcher vibe, but he’s even larger and can really bend a guy to his will in the best way. The match has the kind of non finish that was typical for WoS but it’s so well executed I can’t say I mind. Thought this was fantastic, one of the best matches I’ve seen in a while.

Steve Veidor vs. Bob Abbott, 2 out of 3 Falls 3/??/74 World of Sport

Another match from Pete to get me into the heavyweights of World of Sport. And, as almost always happens with World of Sport, I thought it was fantastic! I love the sense of genuine struggle and strategy. And the sportsmanship! This is face vs. face, and you get a real sense that even though Veidor is doing his best to win, at the same time he's actually pleased when the lesser known Abbott gets in a good move and gives him a good challenge. Some awesome technical wrestling in this, as always I adore the presentation and the commentary. World of Sport is the best!

Glad you enjoyed it. Been a real joy seeing what I can find out. I was looking to see if there was much earlier stuff around (I even used a few professional tricks to try and root around in a video archive) but if the footage of the 1960s stuff is still in existence, I can't get to it.

Pro Wrestling Eve ran a show here a few nights ago with a lot of familiar names involved. Don't read on if you want to see it for yourself: spoilers follow.

Pro-Wrestling:EVE Championship #1 Contender Tournament Semi-Final: Kay Lee Ray defeated Jetta by pinfall to advance to the tournament final.

Pro-Wrestling:EVE Championship #1 Contender Tournament Semi-Final: Mercedes Martinez defeated Laura Di Matteo by pinfall to advance to the tournament final.

Viper defeated Yuu by pinfall.

Mary Apache defeated Jinny by pinfall.

The Medusa Complex (Charli Evans & Millie McKenzie) defeated Heidi Katrina & Martina by pinfall.

Su Yung defeated Charlie Morgan by pinfall.

Pro-Wrestling:EVE Championship #1 Contender Tournament Final: Kay Lee Ray defeated Mercedes Martinez by pinfall to become the #1 contender to the Pro-Wrestling:EVE Championship.

Pro-Wrestling: EVE Championship: Nina Samuels defeated Emi Sakura by referee decision to retain the Pro-Wrestling:EVE Championship.

The Brain
    Oh damn, Viper/Yuu and Morgan/Yung must have torn the house down between them!!

If anyone is interested, this is the earliest footage I have been able to find. From a match in 1970 featuring Jackie Pallo. Not my favourite thing I've ever found but interesting as a historical curiosity. I did get to thinking, though it's a shame that the sixties stuff doesn't seem to be available this is really old, older than almost everything on WWE network, and the footage is a really high quality. So I guess we should be grateful that even this is still around, given the British propensity for wiping tapes to reuse them at this time.

The Brain
    Oh you know that I'm interested! Putting it on my list!

Meant to share this when I watched it but it slipped my mind. Only just remembered. A very character-full bout from 1974. Dennis Mitchell, who'd been a big star in the 1960s, making his return to TV against Gwynn Davies, who we've seen a few posts up the page. This is shortly before Gwynn becomes the British Champion, so at this point he's still just the champion of Wales. There's a lot of character nuances going on in this, a lot of using a real sporting ethos to drive a plot, and along with the two strong psychological performances from the principles there's a really good outing from Walton on commentary as well. Well worth a look if you like this style, even though it's 27 minutes across the two videos.

The Brain
    Gonna put this on my list ASAP!

Let me know how you get on with it!

Local news, IPW:UK - one of the national level promotions that routinely features well known names - has put out a video that seems to imply they are leaning heavily into a legit sports style presentation from now on.

Talk of rounds, weight divisions, weigh ins, judges scorecards... The whole shebang.

The Brain
    Thought it was great! Unsurprisingly, considering how much I enjoy the style. Loved the progression of the work on Davies arms to the point where he had to tap out immediately to lose the first fall or he'd basically be done. The ending was a little unsatisfying but expected, and as usual the straightforward presentation of how it happened made it still works well for me.

Got a bad taste in my mouth for modern "wrestling with rounds" after the horrible "Grand Championship Division" of TNA some years back, but god knows there's a history in the UK of this working. No idea what it looks like in a modern style but I'm curious to see them try!