WWE Super Show-Down in Melbourne

Two weeks tomorrow is the Australian WWE Network event.

Here's the card announced so far:

Triple H (with Shawn Michaels) vs. The Undertaker (with Kane)
    Bobby Lashley and John Cena vs. Elias and Kevin Owens
    Daniel Bryan vs. The Miz to determine the #1 contender for the WWE Championship
    The Shield vs. Braun Strowman, Dolph Ziggler, and Drew McIntyre
    The Bella Twins and Ronda Rousey vs. The Riott Squad
    AJ Styles (c) vs. Samoa Joe No Count-out, No Disqualification match for the WWE Championship
    Cedric Alexander (c) vs. Buddy Murphy for the WWE Cruiserweight Championship
    The New Day (Big E, Kofi Kingston, and/or Xavier Woods) (c) vs. Cesaro and Sheamus for the WWE SmackDown Tag Team Championship
    Asuka and Naomi vs. The IIconics
    Becky Lynch (c) vs. Charlotte Flair for the WWE SmackDown Women's Championship

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    That's a ridiculously stacked card. When the WWE wants to go all out, they go all out.

Are there any news about ticket sales? I wonder if they'll fill up the stadium with over 100,000 people. If they don't and get something still huge like 90% capacity, will that still be considered a letdown?

It's interesting that none of the Raw championships will be defended. The Smackdown brand is more than capable of picking up the slack there, so there shouldn't be a void in that department.

There is 0% chance they get 100k here. I’ll honestly be surprised if they top 60k. But they’ll obviously inflate the number to something ridiculous.

Royce and Kay better get proper heroes welcomes here. Asuka and Naomi might get booed out of the building.

Given that the last Saudi show offered nothing of note, I wonder if anything actually important happens here. Would be a good place to, for example, give Buddy the Cruiserweight Title in his home country.

So, is it going to be Brock lesner vs. Reigns Vs. Braun at the next Saudi show? I thought I read somewhere that there was going to be a triple threat match for the wwe title.

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLostInRewind View Post
    So, is it going to be Brock lesner vs. Reigns Vs. Braun at the next Saudi show? I thought I read somewhere that there was going to be a triple threat match for the wwe title.
    Yes.

Who did the Miz shit on? Joe vs AJ was amazing. I hope Joe isn’t injured again.

Now the stage is set for DX vs. BoD at Wrestlemania!

DX vs BOD will be at Survivor Series, then Taker vs HBK in a retirement match for Taker.

REal talk: HBK shouldn't be wrestling any match, after all it makes the whole retirement stipulation pointless.

That was such a painful and overly long main event. They really exposed Undertaker's age, lack of shape and diminishing abilities, in 3x the length of match that it needed to be. They really need to send him off, this is continually becoming embarrassing.

My thoughts on AJ vs. Joe.

It was a good match, but oddly told. I thought the no DQ stipulation came into the mix a bit too late for their story, but it needed it sometime. The match itself was good, as I don't think these two are capable of a bad match even if they tried, but the whole Face working the Heel's injured knee didn't do it for me. That sort of angle is used to gain sympathy for the face; to mount a comeback and bring the fire and excite the crowd.

The entire time after Joe hurt his knee, I didn't understand where they were going or how I was supposed to care for Joe hurting his knee. I'm pretty sure the feud is 100% over now with Joe tapping.

Yeah, there's no reason for Joe to get a rematch, and it's a shame that he probably won't get a major title run. Not sure where he could go from here. Maybe a feud with Rusev once he's done with English. I can see AJ Styles and Orton feuding next, though.

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
    Who did the Miz shit on?
    Is it wrong that I actually really liked what went on with that match? I mean, it was done badly and, in context, was clearly a schmoz so they could give Taker/HHH an extra 15 minutes to bore us or 'tell the story' or whatever, but...

I don't know. As fans, even as supposedly 'smart' fans, we're all conditioned on what to expect from a big WWE match - length, finishers, kick outs, more finishers, and so on. I thought this when I was doing the August Madness stuff with Skul in the CF, but Bryan vs Cena flipped that a bit by completely changing it up in terms of the finish and going through those motions then just ending with a straight knee to the face - a move nobody had seen Bryan do before. Now, on the Show Down, you've got a sudden match ending where Bryan packages up The Miz and ends the match without them going through those motions.

I'd have rather seen it after 12 minutes and right at the point where they start building up that ending sequence, rather than after 2 minutes and little or no work into it, but I can see what they were trying to do.

And now we get Styles vs Bryan, which should be good - assuming they don't overkill it - and they can involve Miz in it if they want to keep this going. Just a shame that's happening in Saudi Arabia.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheqes View Post
    My thoughts on AJ vs. Joe.

It was a good match, but oddly told. I thought the no DQ stipulation came into the mix a bit too late for their story, but it needed it sometime. The match itself was good, as I don't think these two are capable of a bad match even if they tried, but the whole Face working the Heel's injured knee didn't do it for me. That sort of angle is used to gain sympathy for the face; to mount a comeback and bring the fire and excite the crowd.

The entire time after Joe hurt his knee, I didn't understand where they were going or how I was supposed to care for Joe hurting his knee. I'm pretty sure the feud is 100% over now with Joe tapping.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    I don't know. As fans, even as supposedly 'smart' fans, we're all conditioned on what to expect from a big WWE match - length, finishers, kick outs, more finishers, and so on. I thought this when I was doing the August Madness stuff with Skul in the CF, but Bryan vs Cena flipped that a bit by completely changing it up in terms of the finish and going through those motions then just ending with a straight knee to the face - a move nobody had seen Bryan do before. Now, on the Show Down, you've got a sudden match ending where Bryan packages up The Miz and ends the match without them going through those motions.
    See, those were the things that I liked about both matches. They both subverted the generally accepted expectations.

First, AJ and Joe didn't even make use of that no DQ stipulation until like eight or nine minutes in. On the one hand, I can see people feeling that there was "no reason" for it, on the other, every time you see a No DQ match you expect a pile of weapons and lazy spots. Instead, we got an intense pro wrestling match that only introduced the chair when Joe realized that maybe he isn't better than AJ and can't beat him in a straight up match.

The Miz/Bryan match I was really happy ended in two minutes with a roll-up, for two reasons. The first is that I immediately assumed that Miz would cry "fluke" and that this feud had waaaay more legs, to the point where I'd be happy to see Miz added to the match making it a triple threat and stealing the win from Bryan.

The second is that I think WWE needs more of these finishes. I'm okay with quick matches that end out of nowhere. I don't need every match to be athletic, fast-paced and 15 minutes. Nobody buys in to false finishes unless it's finisher spam after several minutes of wrestling. It's to the point where, in WWE, you often don't even see people bothering to go for covers early on.

More finishes like this and short outings in high profile matches will hopefully train the fans to buy in to the idea that a finish can happen any time out of nowhere.

Part of the problem WWE has is they creatively tapped for TV and the best use of filling time is to have that 3 segment matches thus you expect those type of matches on the bigger shows even more. Like why do i waste my time with PPV matches if i can get them on TV every week... I don't mind doing the small package finish but i think if WWE filled their TV a better way, early match finishes on PPV would be accepted more.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    See, those were the things that I liked about both matches. They both subverted the generally accepted expectations.

First, AJ and Joe didn't even make use of that no DQ stipulation until like eight or nine minutes in. On the one hand, I can see people feeling that there was "no reason" for it, on the other, every time you see a No DQ match you expect a pile of weapons and lazy spots. Instead, we got an intense pro wrestling match that only introduced the chair when Joe realized that maybe he isn't better than AJ and can't beat him in a straight up match.

The Miz/Bryan match I was really happy ended in two minutes with a roll-up, for two reasons. The first is that I immediately assumed that Miz would cry "fluke" and that this feud had waaaay more legs, to the point where I'd be happy to see Miz added to the match making it a triple threat and stealing the win from Bryan.

The second is that I think WWE needs more of these finishes. I'm okay with quick matches that end out of nowhere. I don't need every match to be athletic, fast-paced and 15 minutes. Nobody buys in to false finishes unless it's finisher spam after several minutes of wrestling. It's to the point where, in WWE, you often don't even see people bothering to go for covers early on.

More finishes like this and short outings in high profile matches will hopefully train the fans to buy in to the idea that a finish can happen any time out of nowhere.
    I'm the same with Hardy vs Joe this week on Smackdown - a very different way of ending a match to normal, especially when it's a face taking advantage of an injured heel to get the result. I really liked that.