Inside The Mind: Storytime 21

It had been a long journey. Seth, Roman and Dean had been on the road for hours, heading across country to the next town. Dean and Seth had long since stopped talking, as they had been falling out with every word spoken. They’d argued over music, over directions, over stopping and even over whether they were arguing or not. Dean had been drinking most of the journey and was now in a happy daze. Seth was on his phone, intensely tapping away, likely looking for his next conquest in the town ahead. He often vanished in the evenings with someone new, and Roman assumed it was as much so he could avoid rooming with Dean, as it was for the “special company”. Dean and Seth had a unique relationship but being forced to spend 24 hours a day, 365 days a year together didn’t suit them. Roman had had to stop them fighting many times over the years and he was tired of it.

As he drove on, Roman realised how tired he was. The constant travel and wrestling matches were taking their toll on him and he ached physically and mentally. The training was too intense and he longed for some time off. “Not long till Christmas,” he thought, as he overtook a massive truck that’d been delaying them for ages. Seth and he took turns to drive and his cautious style was often mocked by the other two. However, he felt safer driving than with Seth weaving through traffic and breaking most laws in every country they visited. Dean wasn’t allowed to drive after the Spanish incident. Thankfully, the WWE had hushed it up, but Roman still felt bad for the families of those involved.

As they were driving through a heavily wooded area, the car started to rattle violently. A noise that began as a mild concern quickly became a massive issue as smoke began to billow out of the car and it started to refuse to move. Seth unglued himself from his phone and demanded Roman stop the car.

“In the wood? In the dark?” said Roman.

“It’s going to die,” said Seth. “Stop or blow us up”.

“Fine,” said Roman, pulling over. “Can you call Joey and see if someone can pick us up?”

“There’s no signal,” said Seth. “Hasn’t been for ages.”

“But you’ve been on your phone for ages! What have you been doing?”

Seth showed Roman his phone. On it was a naked lady which Seth had added various bits of engorged male genitalia to. “Funny, huh?” said Seth, with a big smile on his face. “She looks better with a bit of meat”.

Roman grabbed the phone and shut it down. Seth looked furious but didn’t say anything. They both knew who the boss was in the situation and Seth had received multiple reminders of this over the years. He still had a scar on his leg from the last time he’d crossed Roman. Roman looked behind him at Dean, who was unexpectedly quiet. He realised that this was because he’d fallen asleep, and was now lying in the back seats, with his half-finished can also on its side, drenching the seats in beer.

“Wake up!” shouted Seth. “We’re going to have to get some help.”

Dean stirred. He raised his head and looked at the two in the front, like a child needing his parents. His eyes were wide and confused and Roman knew he wouldn’t be much help right now.

“Let’s try and fix this heap of junk”, said Seth. “It’s the only way we’re getting out of here”.

“You a mechanic now?” said Roman. “There’s no way any one of us can fix this. We need to try and get cell phone service.”

“Why don’t you do that and I’ll try and fix the car?” snapped Seth. “At least then one of us is doing something useful. Like I said. We’ve not had signal for ages.”

“Fine. You two stay here.” snapped back Roman. “I’ll get us some help.”

As Roman opened the door, he noticed Dean had fallen back asleep, completely oblivious to what was going on. He shook his head and rolled his eyes at Seth, pointing at Dean, but deep down inside he felt a pang of jealousy. He wished he was asleep. But someone had to take responsibility for the situation and he knew he was the only one who could help.

-------------------------------------------

As Roman walked along the road, his phone refused to pick up a single bar of signal. There was no sign of life and he didn’t know if many other cars would be out this late. His best shot were some of his colleagues. Would Braun, Dolph and Drew come by and rescue them? Would some of the ladies have left this late? No. They’d all be safely at the hotel by now. Roman silently cursed Dean and Seth. Seth had been running late, having spent a few extra hours in the gym. He’d come back caked in sweat and very apologetic but with a smile on his face suggesting his workout had been more “physical” than expected. Dean had demanded multiple stops since they’d started, first to pick up alcohol and then to piss, eat and puke. In that order. They’d caused this situation.

Suddenly, Roman spotted a side road. He hadn’t noticed it driving but it looked like it could lead to a house. He decided to chance it. He turned into the road, with nothing but his phone torch to show him the route. It was longer than he expected and as he walked, he realised it had been over half an hour since he’d left Seth and Dean. He wondered if they’d fixed the car and were waiting for him. Or if they were looking for him. Was he being stupid? He quashed his fears, assuring himself Seth couldn’t fix a car in a million years. Surely they were just as stuck as he was. Dean was probably sobering up and they were probably fighting about the situation already.

He finally noticed a house ahead, with 3 or 4 cars parked in it. It was huge and well lit, and Roman could smell something good. Picking up the pace, he reached the gate and opened it. Full of hope, he walked up to the house. He knocked on the door. He suddenly heard a vicious barking. It was coming from behind him. Roman turned around and saw 3 gigantic dogs pounding towards him. They looked more like wolves than dogs and their teeth were on full display- they weren’t friendly. He tried opening the front door but it was locked. Abandoning the door, Roman ran around the side of the house, fleeing from the beasts. He reached a shed and quickly unlocked it and opened it. He slammed the door shut, closing out the frantic barking and yelping and giving him some time to breathe. He lit up his torch again and suddenly realised what else was in the shed.

He wasn’t alone.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Back at the car, Dean was awake. He was feeling rough and wasn’t happy they’d lost Roman. “Why’d you let him run off like that?” he asked Seth. “He could be killed”.

“I didn’t have a choice”, said Seth. “You know how he is.”

“Yeah, I know,” sighed Dean. “You managed to fix this thing yet?”

“No, and I don’t know how. Why don’t you take a look?”

Seth stepped away from the engine as Dean walked over, looking like hell. He watched as Dean looked at the source of the smoke, seemingly knowing exactly what he was doing.

“What’s up with it?” asked Seth.

“It’s dead” was Dean’s reply. “We better hope Roman finds some help.”

“What can we do then?” Seth looked pleadingly at Dean, who looked back with a mixture of pity and disgust in his eyes.

“We wait.” said Dean, picking up a can and throwing it to Seth. “It’s going to get pretty cold out here though.”

---------------------------------------------------

Roman stood and stared as he took in the situation around him. The dogs; barking outside, hungry for blood. And in the shed; the tied up, naked lady with cuts all over her arms looking back at him in sheer terror. What the hell was happening? He removed the gag on the lady and she immediately started screaming. “Don’t hurt me,” she yelled at Roman, looking deep into his eyes. “I’ll do anything you want!”

“I’m not going to hurt you,” said Roman calmly. “But what the hell is happening here?”

The lady started sobbing. “The people in the house…they’re evil. I only came by to sell something and they locked me up and set their dogs on me! I’ve no idea why!”

Roman decided he believed her. She had honesty in her eyes and seemed genuinely terrified. “I’ll get you out of here,” he said. “One way or another.” He went to try and untie her.

As Roman tried to untie the lady, the dogs stopped barking. Suddenly there was a knock on the door. “What’s happening in here?” shouted a familiar voice. Roman couldn’t believe his ears. He stopped untying the lady and went to the entrance to the shed as the door was opened. Standing there, with a gun pointed at his face, was someone Roman had always called a friend. But there was no sign of friendship on his face as he continued to point the gun at Roman, looking shocked and angry.

It was Daniel Bryan.

“What the hell were you selling?” Roman asked the lady.

“Meat”, she replied, sobbing.

The gun fired.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Back at the car, Dean and Seth were both drunk. They’d been in the dark for hours and were worried where Roman was. Had he got help and left them? Was he dead in a ditch somewhere?

“Is there anything we can do?” asked Seth.

“Nothing,” slurred Dean. “Just wait”.

“Don’t you care about Roman?” Seth looked at his partner, looking for some kind of emotion in his eyes.

“Of course I do. But he shouldn’t have gone wandering off like that. There’s nothing else we can do. We’re safer here. Together.”

“I never feel safe with you. Not anymore,” said Seth. “Not since that night where it all got intense”.

“It okay, Seth. I’ll never tell anyone about that night”, said Dean. “Not even Renee. It looks as bad for me as for you. Besides, you enjoyed it”.

“You better never tell anyone”, said Seth. “Especially not Renee. Her nails are sharp and I don’t want her telling the world about us.”

“Relax”, said Dean. “I’ll never tell anyone about then and I won’t tell anyone about now.”

Dean pulled Seth in and kissed him passionately. The two of them fell into the back seats and continued kissing, as their hands wandered around each other’s bodies. They were so consumed with each other, they didn’t noticed the Police car pull up. It wasn’t till a stern man rapped on their car window that they pulled apart from each other.

“Fuck,” said Dean.

------------------------------------------------------------

The media storm was driving Vince crazy. One Superstar missing, two Superstars arrested for his murder! It was more than he could deal with. As he sat down in his office, he held his head in his hands. Why had he let Dean and Seth share a car with Roman? Neither of them were the most stable and now they’d done something really stupid. Had they killed him? It certainly looked that way. They’d been found, drunk and naked in a wood, with no sign of their companion. Now the company had lost its prized asset, 2 other stars and was getting a ton of negative publicity. What the hell could he do?

He’d already decided the answer was to go clean once again. Push the guy who represented everything pure about the company to get rid of all this negative publicity. Instead of the Shield, it was time to give the spotlight to the clean-living, hard-working honest hero of the people.

He was even a vegan.

--------------------------------------------------------------

As Daniel Bryan walked into the office, he smiled at Vince. It was his time.

The Brain
    This was pretty bloody well brilliant, Nony. I wasn't 100% sold until the Bryan reveal, and then it all clicked into place for me. This was a blast and exactly the kind of column the CF has been needing right now. Love it, thank you for sharing it!

PS I was afraid they were going to get Human Centipeded for a bit. Glad it didn't go that way.

Geeze Nony. You just know how to walk into a room and shut everyone else up don't you.

This was absolutely brilliant. The characters were amazing and the twists were beautifully executed.

This reminds me of the one you did last year, I think it was called 'Pieces of Meat' in how engaging it was.

Totally expecting something like this from you haha. It was awesome and well written though

And Bryan is a goat-faced evil little genius!

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    This was pretty bloody well brilliant, Nony. I wasn't 100% sold until the Bryan reveal, and then it all clicked into place for me. This was a blast and exactly the kind of column the CF has been needing right now. Love it, thank you for sharing it!

PS I was afraid they were going to get Human Centipeded for a bit. Glad it didn't go that way.
    I genuinely contemplated the Human Centipede as I was writing. It was actually inspired by a work conversation about the rise and fanatical nature of vegans.

Thanks for the kind words. I mostly wrote it as one of my more conceptual pieces that could’ve gone disasterously so it’s nice it’s gone down well.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSam View Post
    Geeze Nony. You just know how to walk into a room and shut everyone else up don't you.

This was absolutely brilliant. The characters were amazing and the twists were beautifully executed.

This reminds me of the one you did last year, I think it was called 'Pieces of Meat' in how engaging it was.

Awww thanks, Sam. I had a lot of fun writing it to be honest. My Bryan hate has no limit. And obviously, Rombrose is all over the internet already in slightly different forums...

It was as good as The Freak and The Meat. That was a much better column that actually had a point. But I had fun writing this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Franc View Post
    Totally expecting something like this from you haha. It was awesome and well written though
    Thank you for the kind words. I shall try and do something more unexpected next time. Maybe an Instant Raw Review?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Franc View Post
    And Bryan is a goat-faced evil little genius!
    Fuck Bryan.

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
    And obviously, Rombrose is all over the internet already in slightly different forums...
    I was going to say something about Tumblr but let it lay, these two are up there with the Golden Lovers stuff, even just twitter is full of 'depictions' of them.