MY WORLD: 12 Things The Rock Taught Me About How to Behave in Business

When you look up the word 'Hustle' in the dictionary, next to it, you'll find a picture of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. Since his WWE debut on my 7th birthday, at The Survivor Series on November 17th, 1996, The Rock has been on a meteoric rise to the absolute pinnacle of the entertainment realm. His rise was not without some turbulence; however, I know he still remembers the "Die, Rocky Die!" signs from 1997. With a change of character and a huge change in attitude, The Rock finally earned the respect of wrestling fans the world over.
    The Rock is one of, if not the biggest attraction across all forms of entertainment; but this begs the question, what does any of this have to do with business? Well, that is what we are here to discuss today. I am going to take you on a countdown of the 12 things that The Rock taught me about how to behave in the business world, as well as in life.

Anyone who has followed Rocky for the last several years has undoubtedly heard some of his motivational quotes. He is constantly trying to inspire the best and brightest of the world today to strive for their own mountaintops and achieve greatness against the odds. I have taken a lot of inspiration from The Great One in my near 30 years, but we are going to save the motivation for another day. Without further ado, let's take the first step down the road with number 12!

12 Things The Rock Taught Me About How to Behave in Business

12: JUST BRING IT! (ADDITIONAL EXPLETIVES OPTIONAL)

We are going to start with, perhaps, the 3rd most famous quote from The People's Champion. In life, as in business, you must constantly be prepared for whatever comes next. As you step into your place of business this Monday, Leave everything from the weekend behind you. you are here to hustle. You are here to make peoples lives better by ensuring proper deliverance of your services to your customers. You are here to make money. Hustle until you fall over. When you walk into work this morning, whatever your job may be. Look your workday straight in the face, take off your (insert dollar amount) shoe, shine it up real nice, turn that sumb***h sideways, and stick it straight up this weeks candy a$$!

11: JUST WHO, IN THE BLUE HELL, ARE YOU?

Branding. Branding... Branding...Brand...ing! Who were you yesterday? Who are you going to be tomorrow? Who, in the blue hell, do you want to be in five years? What are you doing today, that's going to make your mark? Why are you trying to leave a mark, when you should be trying to leave a crater. In case you missed it, this lesson is about branding. When you think of the op brands in any industry today, The Rock's brand has to be in the top 3 of any and all top 10 lists. He eats, sleeps(barely), bleeds, and breaths branding. From his nickname to his production studio, there is no one, and I mean no one, who has a better handle on how to sustain a brand, than The Rock/The Great one/DJ/Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson/ The People's Champion/Whatever he decides to call himself in the morning. So, the question remains... Just who.... in the blue hell... are you??

10: IF THE ROCK HITS YOU, HE'LL KILL YOU. IF HE MISSES, THE WIND BEHIND HIS PUNCH WILL GIVE YOU PNEUMONIA AND YOU'LL DIE ANYWAY! SO THE CHOICE IS YOURS, JABRONI!

This is a sidebar pick for my sales brothers and sisters of the world. More importantly, this is for our customers, prospects, our cold calls, and all of those recipients of our unanswered emails. We love you, and I want you to know that sincerely. we left our feeling at the door when we stepped into our squared circle this morning. We are ready, willing and able to answer all of your questions, and listen intently as you tell us you aren't interested. It doesn't matter if what we are selling is something you need (like cybersecurity training for your team #cheapplug #CEH #call2day). We are going to listen, absorb, and counter every single objection you put in front of us. You might not buy from me today, but I promise you, the day will come when your company has spent millions to fix an issue that would have only cost thousands to get in front of, that you will call me. When the world goes dark, and you don't know where to turn, we will be there. Ever vigilant, like I was in the United States Marine Corps. Ready to improvise, adapt, and overcome all of your issues to provide you with a custom fit solution that will benefit you and your customers. The Rock says the phone lines are open!

9: IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOUR NAME IS, OR WHAT YOU THINK!

So, we went over branding earlier in this list. I don't want you to misconstrue what I'm saying here. Your brand matters, as well as your belief in it; but that does not mean that it will matter to everyone you come in contact with in business. Just as in life, there are going to be individuals and companies that match up with your beliefs, ethics, and way of doing business. You also have to accept and make room for those that do not. You are going to encounter more people and organizations that will be against you than you ever will find allies. Even within the ranks of the company you work for, you are going to have haters. The important thing to remember in all of these situations is that it doesn't matter! Whether they are with you or against you, keep doing what brought you to the table. Your success or failure is not reliant on how many followers your brand has on social media, or how many business cards you passed out at the latest networking event. It is only reliant on your ability to relate the benefits of the product or service you provide and show your best side to everyone and every organization you come in contact with. You will find your success. If The Rock found it wearing a fanny pack and a gold chain, you can too!

8: THE ROCK SAYS HE WAS MEANT to TAKE HIS BIG RIGHT HAND, SLAP THE FAT OFF YOUR CANDY A**, AND GIVE IT BACK TO YOU!

Confidence is key... NEXT!!!!

7: EXCUSE THE ROCK FOR ONE SECOND, HIS CELL PHONE IS GOING OFF. HELLO? HEY! IT'S NOTHING, HE SAYS HE KNOWS YOU.

Remember what I just said about haters? Well, here they are again. How many times have you heard your boss, your professor, or maybe your parents tell you that you're doing things the wrong way and that they're positive that you will not amount to anything? I can promise you that it's happened to everyone and that it will never stop. You have to rise against this type of negative thinking and push back against the devices that are designed to keep you in the dead-end job, underneath that undeserving boss, and ultimately hating Mondays. What a world it would be if we were all excited to go to work every day like The Rock appears to be. I am sure that there are bad days even for someone as successful as The Great One, but you and I will never see those days knock him over. Don't ever let someone tell you that you're nothing. You are worth more than what others may think. It's up to you to prove it to yourself every day.

6: FINALLY, THE ROCK HAS COME BACK...

Speaking of Mondays! We all know how this feels. It's 7 PM on a Sunday night and you are starting to feel that lingering dread of another work week. This is a cancerous issue when it comes to your success in business. If you don't have some level of excitement to get back into the ring and take the hits of the work-week, then you might need to consider a career change. Job changes are a frightening prospect in 2018. Cost of living is up, car payments don't take days off, and you have a family to feed (even if it's just you and your dog). It may take time, but you have to always keep your hustle going until you find your niche. It took me around 10 years to find what I really wanted to be when I grew up. I still don't have all of those answers, because let's face it, growing up isn't much fun. What I do have; however, is a strong work ethic and a belief that what I do every day makes people's lives better. Which in turn makes my life, and the life I provide to my family, better in return.

5: NOW GO BACK TO SUPERCUTS AND GET YOUR $5 BACK!

I could have added "Jabroni" to the end of this, as it would make this quote complete, but I just made a rule to only have one Jabroni on this countdown. Not that Jabroni isn't an amazing word and fun to say. Try it! Ja-Bro-Ni! See, I told you it was fun! I'm getting off track now, and I have said Jabroni five times, thus contradicting my own rule. Anyway! This quote sticks out to me because I work in an industry where image is very important. I learned a long time ago, the importance of dressing for the job you want, and making a good first impression. I follow that rule as best as I can, for someone who has long hair, a goatee and rides a Harley to work every day. I am certainly not the cleanest cut gent you're ever going to meet, but I do try to make sure that I smell good and that I never smell like I need a shower. This should be self-explanatory, but we have all encountered the person that shows up on Tuesday with Sunday's breath. Don't be that guy/gal!

4: YOU MADE THE ROCK TAP, BUT THERE IS NO WAY, AND THE ROCK MEANS NO WAY, THAT YOU'LL MAKE THE ROCK TAP TWICE!

Failure. I have experienced it more than once. Anyone who tells you that they have never failed is full of crap. If you believe them, I have some property to sell you on Pluto! Everybody fails, this is a fundamental fact of business life. There is a great word-track in The Wolf of Wallstreet where Leo (Jordan Belfort) is telling a potential client that he doesn't ask to be judged on his winners, but to judge him by his losers because there are so few. I cannot tell you how much I wish I could say that with a straight face. In my time in the workforce, I have had 10 different 'careers' that were going to be where I will retire from. The first plan never works. A lot of times, the 29th plan doesn't work either. The important thing is to never give up. I know that sounds cliche, and it is, but it doesn't change the fact that your only option is to move forward. If you're going to fail, fail from as high as you possibly can, so that you just might catch yourself on the way down.

3: DON'T LIE TO THE ROCK!

Honesty. Integrity. Business Ethics. If it feels like these are foreign concepts in your current line of work, run, and run fast and far. If you go to sleep at night and feel less than awesome about what you do for a living. Change what you do for a living. I know that I am starting to go over some topics twice, but it really is THAT important! I think I have hammered this idea home by now, so I'm going to move right along. Lie to yourself all you want, but never, and The Rock means NEVER, lie in business!

2: KNOW YOUR ROLE

I debated switching these last two around because I have found them to be equally important in my business dealings. Product knowledge and intelligence in your field cannot be understated when it comes to business. I simply have no respect for people that do not know even the most basic aspects of their job description and have no desire to learn them. Every day is an opportunity to learn more about your job. It is also an opportunity to learn about the job above yours. If you are in a management role already, do yourself, and your team, a favor and learn about what they do too! I don't understand why this is such a rampant problem in the business world of today. Everyone thinks that they know it all and have seen it all already, even if they have only been in their position for a few months. It's incredible to me just how many individuals and companies I have come across that give you the thousand yard stare when you ask them what their training strategies are when it comes to cybersecurity, or in the past marketing. If you are not willing to invest your time in learning and honing your craft, why would I ever invest my money in you?

1: SHUT YOUR MOUTH

Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die. Everybody wants to sell you something, but nobody wants to listen to what you actually need. I come across this in sales all of the time. When I was a new salesman, I was guilty of not listening, or over talking, nine times out of ten. I lost more money than I will probably ever make because I forgot listed to the customer's name. It's a really embarrassing self-realization, but one that I had to endure in order to get better. There is a time to talk, there are hundreds of times to talk, but in those hundreds of times, there are potentially thousands of times to actively listen. In every sales training on the planet, there is always a bullet point for active listening and asking open-ended questions. No matter how many times you hear it, you'll only figure it out after it hits you in your wallet a few times. Save yourself the time and tattoo this saying inside of your eyelids. Knowing your role is important, so that you can answer any questions that your prospective customer might have; but nothing will ever compare to the power of letting someone tell you what it is they need and providing a solution to that problem. This rule applies in every industry, in every vertical, on every continent, on every planet. Save yourself the aggravation and learn it NOW!

For those of you that have stuck around until the end of this, I hope you enjoyed it. This was a labor of love for me. I have always been a die-hard pro wrestling fan, and to be able to flex the creative muscle and relate it to my 40 hrs a week was truly enjoyable. I hope you thought so, too! On a personal note, if anyone who reads this knows Dwayne Johnson personally, and would like to help me in my never-ending quest for fortune, please don't hesitate to make him read this! Comments and feedback encouraged and appreciated!
    Last edited by TheLAW; 09-24-2018 at 07:24 AM.

LOP's part time glass ceiling DynamiteBillington's Avatar
    Nice work - great comparison of a few quotes related to real life. It was 12 by my count though, you repeated numbers 7 & 8

For me, the Rock was the true star of the Attitude Era. I always preferred him to Austin, and I still rate him as the best promo ever.

Lmao! Wow. Thats a big friggen whoops. I edited it again. Hopefully that fixed it lol

Glad you liked it Dyno! When I was a kid it was all Austin for me. Hindsight has changed that perspective for sure
    Last edited by TheLAW; 09-24-2018 at 07:24 AM.

The Brain
    This was a lot of fun Law, it wouldn't have occurred to me to take the Rock's long list of catch phrases as words of wisdom but you wove it all together very well. We could all do with something of the Rock's confidence, adaptability, and perseverance in our lives. Of course, it also helps to be born with god like charisma!

Thanks Miz! I actually wrote this on a dare from a co-worker who likes wrestling too. I originally intended it to just be a linkedin article. but I liked it well enough to make a mini return to the forums

Man this is so good and for someone who is also in sales and servies, so very relatable. I could even see you turning it into a presentation you give to pump people up or as part of training.

To get specific I think you were wise to leave the SHUT YOUR MOUTH part to number 1. As someone who is prone to talking too much I can honestly say the biggest thing that has improved my performance has been learning to ask a good question and then shut up and then use the customers own words when I present a solution at the end.

I also think that something you can take from The Rock's career is to always keep the long game in mind. You could see him in the mid to late 00s after he had left WWE doing movies like Tooth Fairy or Doom and thinking 'he left wrestling for THIS' but he always kept the long game in mind and he has slowly grinded his way into becoming the biggest star on the planet. Personally I have seen my fair share of people try to rise up too quickly, never perfect the role they are in and give ultimatums like 'if I have become x by the end of the year I'm gona leave'. Taking things slow and steady and knowing that I have 30 freakin' years of work left in me I have slowly surpassed every single one of those guys or gals as they crash and burnt in a roll they weren't ready for or left for 'greener pastures' only to find it wasn't what they wanted after all.

Seriously though, this is why I love this little corner of the internet. I cannot say I ever expected to see a wrestling themed column that is so relevant to my work and so engaging at the same time. Seriously man if you don't turn this into a presentation I'm gona steal it off you and do it myself.

@Sir_Samuel

You might be on to something with that idea, Sam. I could become the Grant Cardone of wrestling/business motivation! I am so glad that you liked this

I knew before I started that I had to end with "Shut Your Mouth." It was definitely the hardest lesson to learn when I first broke into sales. Now im just hoping to see this get as good of a response on my Linkedin page and maybe get me some new accounts lol.

I'm gonna have to look into how to turn this into a YouTube thing. I wonder of WWE has copyrights on his catchphrases?

Putting this on LinkedIn is an awesome idea.

I'll try and find it and re-post it when it goes up.

@Sir_Samuel

It's already on there. I'll dm you my personal deets so you can find it!

Edit- done
    Last edited by TheLAW; 09-25-2018 at 07:31 AM.

I really enjoyed this column LAW. I love how you incorporated Rock's catchphrases into this. I didn't even remember him having that many. I've only done cold-calling sales for 3 months and I wasn't that good at it, although I probably didn't give it too much of a chance. But I have been in customer service for the past 5 years over the phones and knowing your role by having that product knowledge and shutting your mouth to ensure that you full understand the customers query is integral for success in the call centre business.

Great column! It makes me think of other wrestlers catchphrases and how it could apply to business.

Thanks Don! Im soon to be combing the interwebs for the next topic, but I want to keep the theme going. The Rock was an easy pic for 2 reasons. He is the best example of a wrestler hitting the big time levels of success. And he has about a half billion catchphrases lol. Glad you liked it! Cold calling is rough. I make on average 60 calls a day to people who are, just SO happy to hear from me lol.
    Last edited by TheLAW; 09-25-2018 at 08:12 AM.