General Television Discussion

I'm not starting a new thread for the show itself, but I felt like sharing so we'll see if there's life enough for a 'general' thread.

My fellow Brits, did anyone else see that there was a Pulp vs Happy Mondays episode of Bargain Hunt on the way? I'm officially old, and so are they by the sounds of things. But not too old - they had to reshoot the ending because Bez broke the rules. Rock n' roll!

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar
    I can't say I pay Bargain Hunt much heed my friend....

Did anyone watch Bodyguard on BBC? I caught up with it all on iPlayer last weekend. Really enjoyed it, mostly, even if the characters did all start to act a bit out of character in the final episode for the sake of escalating drama. That bothered the hell out of me. I also feel like the criticism levied at the show (I won't go into detail in case anyone hasn't seen it yet) is a little misplaced. I don't think intentions have been misconstrued, even if the execution of what was criticised perhaps showed something of a lack of forethought.

Ha, I don't watch bargain hunt either. The celebrity aspect got some coverage.

Not seen bodyguard but heard a lot about it in the last few days. Dunno if I can be bothered though.

I watched Butterfly recently as well, but missed the last episode - the show about the young girl who was born a boy? The first couple of episodes were really engaging, but then I checked out of the third because life got busy and, not unlike Bodyguard actually, the trailer made the finale look a bit silly.

Didn't know where else to put this, but I finally got around to getting into Breaking Bad. Near the end of the first season now. Took me long enough, eh?

Anyone else ever get into a show waaaaay after the fact?

Sopranos. The Wire. Think Breaking Bad was one of the few critically acclaimed shows I watched as it aired.

I started watching BB literally the day after the final episode aired after reading up on all the hype. Six days later, I was finished with the entire series. Still watch it from start to finish at least once a year.

It's probably my favourite TV series ever. End to end, it's nothing short of staggering how well acted it is and how the story twists and turns.

I've tried taking up column writing, check it out here!

Words from a Gooner #2: 7 Treatments for Wrestlemania Fever

Definitely top 3 for me. Love the tiny little details and callbacks sprinkled throughout the season.

*Pretty sure itís been out long enough thatís there no reason for a spoiler alert. But stuff like how Walt picks up various traits of people heís killed... after killing Krazy 8, Walt starts cutting the crust off his sandwiches from then on. Or how you discover what Jessie really did with the money Walt gave him for the RV, and how they actually end up with an RV. Just so many little things that make it such a well written show.

The What We Do in the Shadows TV show on FX is hilarious. If you liked the movie you will love this.

So I just started watching The Wire for the first time. I'm about five episodes into Season One but already enjoying the hell out of it. I'm not sure why. It's not like super-obviously awesome TV or anything. It's just really well written, really well shot and really well acted and I guess it shows that, so long as you have those three things, you've got some damn fine television on your hands.

I also watched the first episode of HBO's new Chernobyl mini-series. Enjoyed it, but was left a little disappointed after having read a pretty stunning review of it in the papers during the week ahead of time. I expected to get flattened as a result, and while it did impress me, it didn't really have the expected impact. Not to trivialise the subject matter though, it did prove to be a vitally important piece of awareness of what was a catastrophic disaster.

I loved the Wire. I like how they show the entire investigation through a full season. Very compelling and some great performances.

What we Do in the Shadows last night was awesome. The vampire council had so many cool cameos and even Batista showed up in the scene before the council. Excellent show and it's getting a second season!

I'm on the last episode of Season 2 of The Wire tonight. It hasn't gripped me anywhere near as much as S1 did, but I'm sticking with it through all five regardless. I think with S2, the issue has been that the central crime just isn't as enthralling and, among those being investigated, there isn't really a sympathetic one among the bunch. They all come off as horribly unlikable people. In S1, D'Angelo and Wallace provided somewhat sympathetic figures you could get behind for one reason or another, and that's come off lacking this time around. That leaves only the cops and, outside of McNulty and Greggs there's not really a decently developed one among them since the end of the first season.

Guess I'll see if S3 picks back up again.

I just starting watching Deadwood, and I have to say I like it, only 8 eps in. Next on the list is The Wire, I watched the first ep years ago and just couldn't get into it. So as I have matured, hopefully I can enjoy it as so many people rate it so highly. Has anyone watched OZ? As this is another that has been recommended to me over the years.

As for Breaking Bad, this is the pinnacle of TV shows, acting, directing just the best it can be, and a perfect end imho. Just funny seeing how Brian Cranston has progressed from the dentist on Seinfeld to the dad on Malcolm to being Walt he has paid his dues.

Is Better Call Saul worth a look?

Absolutely! Doesn't get the credit it deserves imo. If you liked breaking bad you'll love Better Call Saul. And, as a prequel, you don't need to have watched breaking bad (but it's probably better if you do).

It is very slow moving though, in a good way, but it's a series that builds to a crescendo towards the end of the season as opposed to action and drama throughout.

I've tried taking up column writing, check it out here!

Words from a Gooner #2: 7 Treatments for Wrestlemania Fever

Iíll second that. Bob Odenkirk is gold in this. Even better is the guy that plays Mike, though.