Final Battle 2018

A thread for the next RoH PPV offering, Final Battle - from New York on December 14.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    Anything announced yet? We're pretty far out yet, I suppose.

Nope, I'm fairly sure we'll get another Addiction/Briscoes match, possibly in a Ladder War and Lethal vs Taven for the World Title. Kenny King vs Cody is looking like a possibility, too.

The Brain
    I like Taven and King decently but they don't really feel like they're on the same level as their opponents, if so. Ladder war could be a lot of fun though.

These are the matches that I've seen have been signed...

MAIN EVENT
    ROH WORLD TITLE MATCH
    JAY LETHAL vs. CODY

FOUR CORNER SURVIVAL FOR WOMEN OF HONOR WORLD TITLE
    SUMIE SAKAI vs. MADISON RAYNE vs. KAREN Q vs. WINNER OF KELLY KLEIN/JENNY ROSE

MATT TAVEN vs. DALTON CASTLE

The Brain
    Think I saw that Cody is done with ROH after this show. He said something about taking the title freelance but seems more likely Lethal will retain, Cody walking off with the title doesn't have much bite. Wonder what Cody will do next... try to work more New Japan? Work on a new promotion with the Bucks? Freelance around? Going back to WWE seems unlikely at this time but anything's possible.

I really feel like ROH should be able to do better with their women's division. I quite like Karen Q and Kelly Klein, but Jenny Rose has always struck me as bland at best, Rayne hasn't been notable to me in many years, and Sakai has felt like a random and uninspiring choice from the start. There's a really deep well of quality female talent, so not sure why this is what ROH is working with. Maybe because they haven't really committed very much to the division?

Love me some Dalton Castle. Not that excited about Taven but he's alright. I'll be interested to see what else they book for the card.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    Rayne hasn't been notable to me in many years,
    This is true but I've often wondered why. She was very much over as a heel in TNA at one point, really one of the most hated people on the roster in that strong run that they had. And I look at it and think, did she lose so much value in the last few years of her time there that literally no one sees the value in recreating that?

Anyway, a couple more matches on the card have been announced.

ROH WORLD TELEVISION TITLE MATCH
    CHAMPION JEFF COBB vs. “HANGMAN” ADAM PAGE

JONATHAN GRESHAM vs. ZACK SABRE JR.

I QUIT MATCH
    FLIP GORDON vs. BULLY RAY

Gresham vs Sabre? I love me some ZSJ, but Gresham is boring in singles matches. Where he really shines is multi-man situations.

Expect to see him alot more with Elite leaving

The Brain
    Not sure about Rayne, Pete. Maybe it was right place, right time? Maybe she had a bit more fire at that time? Or maybe the increased interest in ring work has left her in the dust. I don't know, she's just never seemed the same for one reason or another.

Cobb/Page might be my favorite thing announced so far. Page is dedicated to bumping big when needed, and god knows Cobb could really ragdoll him around if they want to go that way.

I'm not as high on Gresham as some but apparently I like him a lot more than Xan! His technical ability is really impressive, though I feel he doesn't always follow through on the work he begins very well. Sabre's one of my favorite guys to watch so I feel like this one will come out well if you like that style of match.

I really haven't cared that much about Flip when I've seen him, but I do have a soft spot for Bully and their interactions at All In did interest me some, so it could be interesting.

Seems like a lot of departing Elite talent are getting title shots here. Just putting over the champions on the way out, or might they be planning to run some kind of angle? I lean towards the former but you never know.

The ladder war was announced, but is a bit different than I predicted--Frankie Kazarian and Scorpio Sky defending against The Briscoes and The Young Bucks. Should be amazing. Marty Scurll is defending the title shot he won at Survival of the Fittest against Christopher Daniels, as well. So, the Elite are technically all in title matches at Final Battle (excluding Kenny, of course.) Also, Kelly Klein defeated Jenny Rose for the last spot in the 4-corner survival match for the women's championship. Shaping up to be an excellent card so far; and like I said on last night's show, I would love to be proven wrong by Gresham. I'm always happy for a wrestler to impress me; the only time he has done that so far is in multi-man matches. His Iron Man with Lethal was horrid; hopefully Sabre can bring something awesome out of him.

As far as the Elite title shots; it would be pretty boring if they all lost and would make the card feel completely predictable. They should win at least one or two of those matches; they can always drop the titles back at the TV Tapings the next day. They are signed through the end of the year, not Final Battle.

The Brain
    That ladder match does sound pretty fun! ROH has had good luck with those. I'm not as high on Scurll as I used to be, but I'm sure he'll have a good one with Daniels. Klein was definitely the right choice for the women's match, glad she's been included. I actually really hope she wins, she's the best choice of the four I'd say, followed by Karen Q.

Speaking of Karen Q and Gresham, not sure how you feel about intergender wrestling Xan but I thought this was a very nice showcase for both, if you've got 10 minutes to spare. I thought it was better than the Lethal/Gresham match in February, though I didn't see the Iron Man.

Good point that ROH could potentially wrap up a few Elite title reigns before the actual end of the contracts. Feels like if anyone should get one last run it should be the Bucks, they've done a lot for ROH to the point that I think that's probably the biggest loss the company could suffer right now, unless they lose their New Japan partnership.

Not saying they will lose the partnership with NJPW if Elite leaves, but besides Gresham for a best of the juniors tourny thing, I can't see NJPW wanting to bring other ROH talent over. They've barely used Lethal. I can't imagine Kenny King coming over lol.

The Brain
    I mean Cobb is now signed to ROH, and they've used him some and could probably stand to use him more. But I agree, the number of ROH guys New Japan might want looks slim at the moment. ROH could stand to restock talent quite a bit so maybe that'll change over 2019.

What is it that NJPW seems to have against Lethal? They bring in so many of these US guys, but don't seem to have any interest.

If ROH loses The Elite, they'll really need to go into a rebuilding phase. But, what does "losing" The Elite mean for ROH? Does it mean that they start their own rumored promotion? OR that they sign with WWE? Or does it mean that they just opt to become free agents, focus more on NJPW and ROH needs to use them on a per-night basis?

I believe they will be starting All Elite Wrestling, but also working on a per diem basis for ROH and NJPW; maybe Impact.

Depending how much money is involved with All Elite Wrestling (i know the rumors but until we actually see it in action we don't know) How many events they run, TV etc... I think the goal of leaving ROH for the Elite is having more control over their brand while working less dates. So I could see like Xan, The Elite Crew doing their own promotion, with some side work for New Japan and ROH...

Really excited for tonight's show; I'm not actually sure I'll be able to watch it until Sunday morning, but it's a blockbuster of a card that I think is going to be terrific.