Thread: Discworld

Discworld

Based on the old Discworld thread I thought I'd give it another go after not really getting on with The Colour of Magic, so I picked up the first books in the witches and Death series respectively, Equal Rites and Mort. I figure if I don't get on with either of these then I can probably write it off as not for me, but there's a couple of other chances to get what people see in them.

I'll keep you all posted!

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    My actual favorite thread is the City Watch series, which starts with Guards! Guards!, but yeah if you just can't get into either of the two you mentioned it probably won't be enough to sway you. I do remember thinking Colour of Magic was far from the strongest though so you may have better luck this time!

Ye I think if you don't like Mort you can give them a miss to be fair.

Early indications of Equal Rites are that when the convoluted plot is out of the way, the humour and the wordplay can come through a lot stronger. I don't know that I love it based on the bit I've read so far but I definitely understand the appeal a lot more.

The Brain
    That's great to hear! I think the series will continue to grow on you. Looking forward to more thoughts.

So I picked up Mort after finishing with my old Victorian novel. Enjoying this one. Probably my favourite so far. Granted that's a limited sample size but y'know, that's still progress!

There was a paragraph in Equal Rites that I found kinda poignant and amusing all at once, not least because Pratchett himself has passed now.

"For the first time in her life Granny wondered whether there might be something important in all these books people were setting such store by these days, although she was opposed to books on strict moral grounds, since she had heard that many of them were written by dead people and therefore it stood to reason reading them would be as bad as necromancy. Among the many things in the infinitely varied universe with which Granny did not hold was talking to dead people, who by all accounts had enough troubles of their own."

The Brain
    Ha, that's a good one! Feels like Pratchett would approve of it being applied to himself. On a somewhat related note, if I recall correctly Pratchett specified in his will that his hard drive with all his unfinished work should be publicly destroyed after his death, so that nobody would be tempted to published sub-standard or half-baked versions of his ideas posthumously. Perhaps with a sidelong glance at the Tolkien estate...

Glad you're liking Mort! If you don't enjoy Pratchett's version of Death, then I wouldn't know what to tell you at that point.