Here is where we ask random questions...

Didn’t know where to ask this question since it’s not just about movies or just about comics or just about books or whatever. So... I decided to start a “random questions” thread here.

Just finished watching SpiderMan 3, and in case you’re wondering... it’s still pretty bad for the most part. One thing it did get *almost right was the love of Peter Parker and MJ Watson. That got me wondering... what’s the greatest (fictional) love story of all time? I think I’ve narrowed it down to four possibilities.

1) Peter/MJ
    2) Rocky/Adrian
    3) Anakin/Padme
    4) Romeo/Juliet

Discuss if you want, and then feel free to ask a new (random) question about whatever. Or let this thread die a horrible death. Either/or. I’m drunk and will probably forget I even started this thread come tomorrow.

The Brain
    Peter and MJ have such a tortured continuity that I'm not sure how to judge them. 3 and 4 end in grisly death so I'm gonna knock them off the list. Rocky and Adrian would be the best of the bunch, I think.

The right answer is Carl and Ellie from the opening of Up.

Simba and Nala.
    Billy and Chuck.
    Bert and Ernie.

Nony comes through yet
    again. Inspired choices these are.
    Sorry. Wrong damn thread.

Jack and Rose...

Harry and Sally

Ross and Rachel

Zach and Kelly

Fred and Wilma/Betty and Barney

JD and Turk

So... when I originally thought this thread was a good idea, I was hoping for other random questions from you guys; not just answers to the original questions. If there’s any random stuff you guys are wanting to ask that don’t necessarily fit into other threads, feel free to ask them here.

Bringing this back, and hopefully it goes better this time...

So, I’m eating taquitos and salsa for dinner, and it got me wondering... do Brits eat tacos and salsa and other Tex-mex kind of stuff?

We do, but I would guess usually as a treat or to have something different. I make my own fajitas and nachos, but any other Mexican cuisine I would usually go out for it. We have a chain of restaurants called Chiquitos that does some decent Mexican food. But I'd say Italian, Chinese, Indian, Thai among others are more popular cuisines.

EDIT: to keep this random question going, where's the best place to go partying in US?
    Last edited by Gooner; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:34 AM.

It really depends on what you’re looking for, but typically Miami, Las Vegas, New Orleans and Los Angeles are big party cities, and I’m assuming NYC, but haven’t been there.

Also, Saturdays are big party nights in college towns where there’s big football programs.

I've got a random question... I know that in the states education is more local than federal and it will have been different for everyone. But how did your school structure work? Like, at what age did you do various standardised tests, what age did you move from one school to another, all that kinda shit.

And not just for the Americans too I guess, what is it like in your part of the world? Interested in comparing this to the British experience.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

There’s a federal education department that pretty much disperses funds to the states, and at the point, the states spend the money as they see fit.

As far as how it’s broken up, it depends on the size of the city/town/whatever. Like, smaller rural communities with a lower population is probably going to be different then schools in NYC.

Nashville, for instance, is broken down K-4th grades (typically referred to as “elementary”) in one school. And you might have three schools with that age kids filter into “middle school”, which is 5th-8th grades. Then you’ll have maybe three middle schools filter into one high school, which 9th-12th grades.

As far as standardized testing, each state is responsible for developing and administering their own version. The only federalized standard testing is the ACT and SAT, and those are used for college admissions. In Tennessee, standardized testing starts at the very beginning in Kindegarten and is an annual thing. Although, when I was in high school in the late 90s, standardized testing was only required for 9th grade once you reached high school, unless you did extremely poorly, and then you were required to do it each year until you reached an acceptable score. That may or may not have changed, though.