Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crown Jewel

I have been thinking. If the speculation is true and the WWE is getting $20 million for the show, how much will the WWE actually pocket? They cannot ask their "independent contractors" and then the production crew to spend thousands of their own money for 1 show, can they? A round trip flight from the US to Saudi has to be at least $2000, then book rooms, and eat. My guess is that it costs each person at least $3-5000 for this 1 show.

Is the WWE covering the cost of flights and hotels? Then what about crew, production staff, equipment, etc. Then you have to factor in how much is the WWE paying each of the on screen talent, let alone their crew. HBK, Taker, Cena and Lesnar might actually be getting $1 million each for the show. That is then down to $16 mil. Then the rest of the wrestlers, now I know there is a floating pay scale, but let's go with $100,000 average for the 40 wrestlers going. That is another $4 mil. So now the WWE is down to $12 million. They have to pay the crew, flights, hotels, fuel, and all production costs and let's assume $4 million for everyone/everything else. Down to $8 million.

Is 1 show really worth $8 million especially with the controversy going on? Does Saudi Arabia really bring in that much money besides this show that the WWE can't make that up by having more events in the States, Mexico or Canada, where costs would be significantly lower?

Monetarily, it is smarter to not go.

I'd heard a much higher starting figure. I've seen it quoted as the whole ten-year deal is worth close to a billion dollars.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

I was gonna say, I found somewhere that apparently Shawn Michaels was getting $10 million for this one gig alone (unless that figure also included Australia and RAW appearences). Apparently SSD and the SA shows have earnt WWE more money than every other show combined.

$10 million for 2 shows and a few RAW appearances? How could he have said no?

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    I have been thinking. If the speculation is true and the WWE is getting $20 million for the show, how much will the WWE actually pocket? They cannot ask their "independent contractors" and then the production crew to spend thousands of their own money for 1 show, can they? A round trip flight from the US to Saudi has to be at least $2000, then book rooms, and eat. My guess is that it costs each person at least $3-5000 for this 1 show.

Is the WWE covering the cost of flights and hotels? Then what about crew, production staff, equipment, etc. Then you have to factor in how much is the WWE paying each of the on screen talent, let alone their crew. HBK, Taker, Cena and Lesnar might actually be getting $1 million each for the show. That is then down to $16 mil. Then the rest of the wrestlers, now I know there is a floating pay scale, but let's go with $100,000 average for the 40 wrestlers going. That is another $4 mil. So now the WWE is down to $12 million. They have to pay the crew, flights, hotels, fuel, and all production costs and let's assume $4 million for everyone/everything else. Down to $8 million.

Is 1 show really worth $8 million especially with the controversy going on? Does Saudi Arabia really bring in that much money besides this show that the WWE can't make that up by having more events in the States, Mexico or Canada, where costs would be significantly lower?

Monetarily, it is smarter to not go.
    See, it all depends. I don't think that WWE takes home anywhere near $8 million on even a big show in North America or the UK. You're usually talking like a million dollar gate at the high end unless you're at a Wrestlemania and it means absorbing all of the expenses yourself.

I've set up a few deals like this for bought events (obviously on a smaller scale) and the way they've all been structured is that SA would pay 'X', within that 'X' it's up to WWE to turn a profit by transporting their people there, paying their people, advertising the event for the Network, producing it the night of, etc. However, typically the sponsor is on the hook for things like providing the venue, providing accommodations, even a lot of times food and entertainment for the talent and crew and that's on top of what they were already paying. Sometimes the sponsor is on the hook for travel as well, but I'd imagine with what WWE is getting paid that they were taking care of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheImplications View Post
    I was gonna say, I found somewhere that apparently Shawn Michaels was getting $10 million for this one gig alone (unless that figure also included Australia and RAW appearences). Apparently SSD and the SA shows have earnt WWE more money than every other show combined.
    Here's the thing about it, too. When I approach a sponsor about buying an event, they get an event for 'X'. But if they want a name, or a talent over an above what I have to offer (like a Brock Lesnar or a Shawn Michaels in the case of Crown Jewel) they have to pay for them.

WWE looks to be doing the classic indy move. They're having SA pay for Shawn to come back and, hey, now that he's here we can use him for this date and this date and this date. They tempted him back and since he's come out of retirement...well why not work Survivor Series, or work AJ at WrestleMania?

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    ^ That's pretty interesting to read, thanks for sharing your experience on that side of the business.

$10 million sounds like too good to be true just to tempt one wrestler out of retirement. I do not blame him one bit for breaking his retirement promise if that's true. Also, it gets me thinking why they haven't extended similar offers to some mainstream names like Stone Cold Steve Austin, Batista, or The Rock. The Rock is making a shit-ton more than that, but not for a few nights of work, that's for sure.

The Brain
    Saudi Arabia is clearly into New Gen, remember they did ask for Yokozuna.

Also, HBK been working at the Performance Center and with NXT, reports were he was getting the Itch. Not saying it def. would have happened regardless but I feel like its back to being apart of him again. Austin is very removed and doesn't need it from all accounts... I'm sure he's been asked to do alot of things.. As for the Rock, even if he wanted to do it, he's booked for countless movies, which likely don't want him working a match anymore after what happened last time.

Of course lol..and I'm sure its a bit like something you just say when you're out of it, but he's talked about only wanting to come back if it was something meaningful... Doing an appearance at Saudi Arabia show, all the travel... I think he'd command more than 10 Mil.

Also have to believe that WWE has offered him in the past more money than HBK to return and he still didn't.

Oh yeah, he's pretty much written it off as a possibility. He's said on his podcast that he has no interest in coming back if he can't perform at as high a level as possible, and at his age he doesn't believe that he can anymore.

You gotta admire the guy for that. He could make dumptrucks of money once or twice a year to come in, have heels run into his fist, stomp a few mudholes, hit a stunner and walk out but he's not interested. He wants to be able to keep up with who he's working with, and if he can't he's happy to stay home.

Quote Originally Posted by LK3185 View Post
    Also, HBK been working at the Performance Center and with NXT, reports were he was getting the Itch. Not saying it def. would have happened regardless but I feel like its back to being apart of him again. Austin is very removed and doesn't need it from all accounts... I'm sure he's been asked to do alot of things.. As for the Rock, even if he wanted to do it, he's booked for countless movies, which likely don't want him working a match anymore after what happened last time.
    When the Saudi prince gets to the Attitude Era on the WWE Network, I'm sure he'll make a play for Austn and Dwayne. Shawn and Taker were there the generation before. (Like Yoko and Warrior who he wanted)

It looks like the whole thing may now be cancelled. What do people think? I imagine it may be the last one if nothing else. Brits I’ve spoken to are hoping it’s moved to Manchester for some reason.

I think that the WWE painted themselves in a corner with this and it's a lose lose situation, but in the long run canceling it may be the right call.

I don’t think they can cancel this one. But it needs to stop after this, no matter how much they’re paid. It’s not good for their image.

I look back at the package they ran at Great Balls of Fire praising a new era for the country and there is absolutely no way they could run something like that this time given what has happened in the last month even if they went ahead.

On thing I find pretty distasteful is the joy some people are seeing in the WWE being in this situation. There is nothing like that here but in other platforms it is like some people are happy this is all going down.

@Sir_Samuel

Quote Originally Posted by SirSam View Post
    On thing I find pretty distasteful is the joy some people are seeing in the WWE being in this situation. There is nothing like that here but in other platforms it is like some people are happy this is all going down.
    The only thing that's distasteful is that WWE did this in the first place. They're in this situation strictly because they put dollar signs over everything else when anyone with common sense (which is apparently not many people/corporations considering how many were involved with SA prior to this incident) could've seen this was going to be a bad idea. I know people want to act like this is the first sign that Saudi Arabia is run by horrifying people but it's only part of it; hell a week from Monday, when WWE is running RAW, a women's right activist in SA who has been imprisoned for three years (several of which she was withheld from having an attorney) is likely going to be sentenced to death by beheading. Her crimes? Protesting, inciting protests, chanting slogans against the SA regime, attempting to inflame public opinion, filming protests, publishing on social media, using a photo of a woman who wasn't her on her own Facebook page and providing moral support to other protesters/rioters. Does that shit sound like something deserving of beheading? This is a situation that was brewing long before WWE even started negotiating this deal, was something WWE should've known about going in (and probably did) and again, it's only part of the equation. They should've known better and they didn't.

So save me the "I feel bad for WWE because their in a no win situation" thing you seem to be indicating (if you're not, I apologize). I'm not going to throw a parade because WWE fucked up here and I do think it's silly for anyone out there who'd be doing so, but the fact of the matter is the number of people doing that is a small number. In fact, between this place, Cageside Seats, Squared Circle and most of the other wrestling haunts, what I'm mostly seeing is a split between fans thinking this show is an awful idea that shouldn't happen (and that the rest of the shows shouldn't happen) and a bunch of fans who are ignoring/dismissing this problem because a) they don't want to take a stand against their favorite wrestling company for whatever reason (they don't want to lose the Network, want to see Bryan/AJ, would do the same thing WWE is doing in the same position, whatever) b) they don't think this a big deal, c) they legit buy that WWE wants to try and change things there despite the fact that this was, and has always been, about the money they were offered or d) a combination of those or all of the above. That's fine; I don't agree with it at all and think this whole thing is shday, but people have a right to think however they want. Just don't try to come in here and tell me that WWE should have sympathy for something they brought upon themselves. They didn't have to take this deal with a problematic country, especially when it's clear other places (like Australia) were willing to do the same. They knew the risks (or at least should've known them), agreed to the deal and now this is what it has wrought. I won't celebrate them for being stupid, but I damn sure aren't going to feel bad for them because they were stupid either.

Are tickets on sale for this yet??

Hey everyone!

Just stopping by to say that I hope they cancel this PPV. It's a terrible time for it and the World Cup tournament is absolutely degrading.

Cheers,

Joshua "Pheqes" Quest

Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    The only thing that's distasteful is that WWE did this in the first place. They're in this situation strictly because they put dollar signs over everything else when anyone with common sense (which is apparently not many people/corporations considering how many were involved with SA prior to this incident) could've seen this was going to be a bad idea. I know people want to act like this is the first sign that Saudi Arabia is run by horrifying people but it's only part of it; hell a week from Monday, when WWE is running RAW, a women's right activist in SA who has been imprisoned for three years (several of which she was withheld from having an attorney) is likely going to be sentenced to death by beheading. Her crimes? Protesting, inciting protests, chanting slogans against the SA regime, attempting to inflame public opinion, filming protests, publishing on social media, using a photo of a woman who wasn't her on her own Facebook page and providing moral support to other protesters/rioters. Does that shit sound like something deserving of beheading? This is a situation that was brewing long before WWE even started negotiating this deal, was something WWE should've known about going in (and probably did) and again, it's only part of the equation. They should've known better and they didn't.

So save me the "I feel bad for WWE because their in a no win situation" thing you seem to be indicating (if you're not, I apologize). I'm not going to throw a parade because WWE fucked up here and I do think it's silly for anyone out there who'd be doing so, but the fact of the matter is the number of people doing that is a small number. In fact, between this place, Cageside Seats, Squared Circle and most of the other wrestling haunts, what I'm mostly seeing is a split between fans thinking this show is an awful idea that shouldn't happen (and that the rest of the shows shouldn't happen) and a bunch of fans who are ignoring/dismissing this problem because a) they don't want to take a stand against their favorite wrestling company for whatever reason (they don't want to lose the Network, want to see Bryan/AJ, would do the same thing WWE is doing in the same position, whatever) b) they don't think this a big deal, c) they legit buy that WWE wants to try and change things there despite the fact that this was, and has always been, about the money they were offered or d) a combination of those or all of the above. That's fine; I don't agree with it at all and think this whole thing is shday, but people have a right to think however they want. Just don't try to come in here and tell me that WWE should have sympathy for something they brought upon themselves. They didn't have to take this deal with a problematic country, especially when it's clear other places (like Australia) were willing to do the same. They knew the risks (or at least should've known them), agreed to the deal and now this is what it has wrought. I won't celebrate them for being stupid, but I damn sure aren't going to feel bad for them because they were stupid either.
    Not quite what I was getting at.

There is a section of people I've seen, mostly on Twitter (which almost says it all) who seem gleeful the WWE has got itself into this shitty situation.

I agree with everything you have said, the WWE either willfully ignored the obvious human rights abuses this country is guilty of or didn't do its due diligence, neither which I think is acceptable for such a big company. I guess I don't feel sorry for them but don't want to make sport out of something that has been brought on by such terrible atrocities.

@Sir_Samuel

I would say I wasn't gleeful about WWE being in this situation, but I am fucking joyous that the whole thing might come to an end. It's an association that shouldn't have been fostered in the first place, like the arms deals major countries have with Saudi Arabia which prop up the atrocities they have carried, and are still carrying, out in Yemen should never have been agreed in the first place.

But, money talks. It's the sickening way of the modern world.

Agreed. I do hope it ends after this but it will only be until the next big financial offer comes along at the cost of the soul.

The WWE can appear PR-cognizant as they want but at the end of the day, they want to make $$$ and that takes precedence over any social issue for them. Doing the GRR was a no brainer to them even though the women they worked so hard to advance were not welcome there. Same thing with Crown Jewel, they can hide behind "there to promote change" mantra all they want but this is more of a "If change happens great, but we're here to get paid."

The Turks (who really have no room to talk about anything in terms of violent acts) are releasing what is reported to be a very detailed and gory statement, possibly playing some of the audio, tomorrow. Once that comes out, it will be interesting to see what the next step is for the WWE. No one, except Trump, really believes the Saudis, so this is really getting interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob S. View Post
    No one, except Trump, really believes the Saudis, so this is really getting interesting.
    I get that this is starting to head off topic so feel free to reign things in mod

BUT

How utterly fucked up is it that the leader of the free world would prefer to pal around with and praise dictators and authoritarian strong men while dismissing allies and other democratic countries.

@Sir_Samuel

Yeah I think we need to stick to the specific WWE case in this thread. Obviously some mention of political actors in this case is fine but keeping it close to the topic has to be a good rule of thumb, or we're going to quickly get away from the topic.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Ok, so back to topic. Now being reported that DB and Cena are refusing to work the event and Reigns is "injured", which I'm putting in quotes because the timing seems pretty convenient.

is that credible? I doubt WWE even runs the show if they don't have the two top titles not defended... Not really about the props, but you have to alter all the buildup for it.. so i guess they would just move the show.

It sounds pretty credible. Multiple reports coming in

Oh, that'll be amazing if people on the roster actually come out and boycott the event even of WWE push forward with it.

'Sorry King Salman, some of our guys didn't want to come so, erm, here's Finn Balor Vs Jinder Mahal in an hour long ironman match!'

Considering we've already gotten a ton of reports saying talent was uncomfortable with this show and how Daniel Bryan comes across (he's quite frankly the last guy I would expect who'd want to do this show) I'm guessing it's legit. The only thing that's hard to believe is that Cena would take a stand after so many years as the "company guy", but even then he's looking at life after wrestling right now and associating with this isn't exactly a good look.

Even if it is true though, I would be dubious about WWE pulling out. They'll probably just replace Bryan with Miz in the title match, add someone else to the World Cup and go on like nothing happens. The only thing it may do is lose a few viewers as there were some people who were only going to watch this to see AJ vs. Bryan. But if the WWE didn't pull out after all the other controversies, they're not going to pull out just because two top guys do. I'd think the whole roster going to the show (Mysterio, Michaels, ect.) would have to refuse to go too until only Randy Orton was left.

I don't think there's many people that are going to watch the show anyway.. That's not why they're doing it. So they could easily make changes to the show.. but I feel it makes them look even worse by basically having to rework the show cause talent refuses. Like that never happens and certainly not from the big names.

On Last Week Tonight a couple weeks ago John Oliver specifically showed a clip of Cena in the ring at the GRR kissing the Saudis' asses and Oliver made a funny joke about it using Cena's catchphrase. I guarantee that stung Cena a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    On Last Week Tonight a couple weeks ago John Oliver specifically showed a clip of Cena in the ring at the GRR kissing the Saudis' asses and Oliver made a funny joke about it using Cena's catchphrase. I guarantee that stung Cena a bit.
    This is a good point. There'd obviously be more to it than that but I can definitely see Cena viewing that segment and it serving as a wake up call. Well in addition to this affecting his movie career and such.

I guess we'll just have to see if WWE cancels those matches or moves things around. I believe this report to be true but last I checked those matches were still on and there's only two weeks or so left before WWE does this show. I'd think if Bryan and Cena are off that WWE would have to start making changes immediately, perhaps as soon as RAW tonight.

Looks like a decision on the fate of Crown Jewel will come tomorrow. WWE was waiting for the Turkish statement. All indications are this is going to be moved.

Yeah, rumors going round of WWE searching for a new location today. Which possibly means they've been informed of something not made public yet (be it more info on the murder or a call on US' stance) and they're getting ready to switch locations ahead of the news. Either that or they made the call to pull the event themselves, which honestly would surprise me more.

The Turkish statement didn't really reveal more than we didn't know already, if anything some of it makes you laugh in a mix of shock and disbelief actually seeing it. Like they dressed someone up in the journalist's clothes with a really fake looking beard to walk around so CCTV would pick him up. Something right out of a dark comedy. BUT the big story is really the premeditated nature to come out of the Turkish findings, it wouldn't surprise me if that was the moment WWE saw the writing on the wall and called it there and then.

I don't know how it works but can Saudi Arabia sue for breach of contract if WWE moves locations? If they do move it, they obviously won't be going back so that 10 year deal is all but over.

Question is, where do you put a big stadium wrestling show on with two weeks notice to effectively set it up and get it done? Very few places in the world must be able to offer that?

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    Question is, where do you put a big stadium wrestling show on with two weeks notice to effectively set it up and get it done? Very few places in the world must be able to offer that?
    its not at the big stadium like it was last time in Saudi Arabia.. so there's more options than you'd think.. it is a good point though.. Cause any arena in the states likely already has commitments for the date. Feel like they'd have to go somewhere obscure.

can Saudi Arabia sue for breach of contract if WWE moves locations?
    If I'm right, Saudi Arabia are already the ones in breach thanks to the state sponsored murder. These big deals have both sides put in get out clauses for their own protection. The only thing keeping WWE there would be the money, weighing the benefit of that against the brand damage done back home. If there was no further word from the US Government, then WWE must have decided the damage of going ahead with the show would simply be too much.

EDIT: And yeah, just checked it's been moved to the King Saud University Stadium. A 25,000 stadium if I'm right. Rather than the biggest and best, think more like a football stadium of the top club in the FL Championship.
    Last edited by TheImplications; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:49 PM.