Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Crown Jewel

Reads results so far. Goes to facebook...

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

What a shit show. Nothing about this show is appealing, is it?

“Stoop to your own level. Your nature. Trust yourself. And most importantly... You have to learn what laws are really laws and not… Oppression."

I just read the results. They must really be down on Braun. Brock is like a disease they can’t kick, and I’m saying that as someone who likes him but it’s time to go for a bit.

It was a shit show with shit booking. BOD should have went over, Braun should have won, and the tournament was a joke. I can't believe I missed a 2 hour walk to the post office for this....

Sounds like cluster fuck would be an understatement....

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Crown Jewel was a Royal Turd?

Sounds utterly painful and will scare off a lot of true WWE fans. Watch Evolution.

I am legitimately upset I paid $10 for the network for a show that it looks like I wouldn't watch; especially when I could have spent that $10 in CMLL's show tonight with L.A. Park.

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    I just finished watching the show and it just felt like such a mess. particularly the second half of the event.

I was legit pissed off at the finals of the World Cup tournament. After weeks and weeks of all that build-up, someone not even in the tournament wins it all. What a fucking joke.

The Universal Championship match was also a joke, although one has to think that the whole Roman Reigns situation threw a massive monkey wrench into their plans for that match. But still, there were so many ways that could have gone down instead of Brock Lesnar having to hit a billion F5s and have Strowman kick out of most of them and just get like a second of offense in. In the past I would have not been too upset at that and would wait and see what came out of it in the next few weeks, but I have no faith left in me anymore when it comes to the Universal title. They should throw it into a vat of molten lava and just create a new title to cleanse themselves of all the horrors it's brought since pretty much Day 1.

The main event was fine for what it was, with four guys who can still give a performance but are way past their respective primes. Crazy that the combined ages of all the participants is over 200 years old. HBK looked good for someone who hasn't been in a televised match for over eight years. I still hope that he gets the itch to do more and we get a singles match at Wrestlemania. That's all I pretty much ask for.

Triple H apparently is heading for surgery with a torn pec as well to top off this clusterfuck of a show. For his sake I hope he hangs up the boots for good, to be honest.

Considering how great things were laid out for Evolution with far less build-up and promotion on Raw and Smackdown, one has to wonder what was the deal with this event. Everything felt off.

My daughter woke me up at about 4:30am and I put the show on just in time to see Lesnar and the World Cup final. I honestly had a moment when I questioned if the sleep deprivation had me dreaming this craziness.

What an absolute wreck of a show.

In April I would have thought the Mania main event was rock bottom, then GRR, I'm worried how deep this hole goes.

It actually had me briefly contemplating my Network subscription. Not for long but that is the first time it has happened which says a bit.

@Sir_Samuel

Even though I didn't watch the thing, after technical difficulties I ended up hosting the call for The Right Side of the Pond's Crown Jewel After show on LOP Radio and over 90 minutes I heard ALL of the greiviences. And wow am I glad for my moral compass.

The odd thing is (a point that got raised by the two guys on the pod) how the entire booking of this show once again screamed House Show, however there were sprinklings of things that are 100% cannon like the Universal title match. Which is made even more peculiar by the constant promotion and main event spots taken up by the promotion for this show. Then it's booked like it was, truly bizzare.

From the build up, to the controversy, to the event itself... is this going to perceived as one of (if not the) worst events WWE have hosted? And I'm talking December to Dismember kind of comparisons of bad. Once again, bloody glad I avoided this with a 10ft pole.

At least with a show like December To Dismember 2006, you can somewhat justify the horrors of that event somewhat by it being just contained to one of three brands in the WWE, and one that was pretty much treated as the proverbial red-headed stepchild. I think less than half of that card had been promoted and everything else was thrown up last minute, if I'm not mistaken.

Crown Jewel had been hyped and promoted on their two main shows for weeks on end (at the expense of Evolution - I'm not letting that one go so easily). They put all the top talent they could in some matches that on paper looked like they would have been tremendous. They even brought Shawn Michaels out of retirement. And yet they still pretty much shit the bed with how they presented it all. I still can't figure out what they were thinking when this show was being booked and put together.

Maybe they purposefully made it into a shit show so that the Saudis would be like “Yeah... don’t bother coming back anymore.” Vince holds up his end of the deal for this show, and this is how they get out of any future shows there.

/conspiracytheory

Its a 40 million plus blood money house show with a haphazard 8 person tournament which is hardly easy to book well in one night and also has a nostalgia main event, the one good wrestling match that was a title match had to be booked on SD last min. The other title match had a guy's cancer return last min. I would have figured people got what they expected..

Besides the Shane deal.

We could all book a better wrestling show with that card, i'm just a little miffed that some expected more from it.
    Last edited by LK3185; 1 Week Ago at 01:22 PM.

Now that Brock is champ again are they going to do the same thing with Braun that they did with Roman?
    Last edited by Nodqfan; 1 Week Ago at 03:53 PM. Reason: Tried to reply to a post and failed

I'm not bothered by the Shane McMahon thing. It at least makes it so the Smackdown superstar wasn't fired. I'm more bothered by the Universal title match outcome, DX vs BOD outcomes and overall bad booking of the event, let alone the fact that they had the event in the first place.

Is this the most 'WCW' WWE has ever been?

Quote Originally Posted by LifeLostInRewind View Post
    I'm not bothered by the Shane McMahon thing. It at least makes it so the Smackdown superstar wasn't fired. I'm more bothered by the Universal title match outcome, DX vs BOD outcomes and overall bad booking of the event, let alone the fact that they had the event in the first place.
    Well, the universal title match is bad but what is wrong with the DX/Bod outcome? Especially if they are not following up on it which all indications they are not.

Quote Originally Posted by LK3185 View Post
    Well, the universal title match is bad but what is wrong with the DX/Bod outcome? Especially if they are not following up on it which all indications they are not.
    Because HHH already went over Taker in Melbourne. The Brothers of Destruction should have went over here to even things up a bit. If they aren't following up on it, then that makes it even worse.

I just assumed DX was winning because of HBK's big return.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    bingo.

Edit, If this was a feud building to something more meaningful, and not say, just two overseas house shows used to appease the home country, i could see the point.. But i don't see the fantasy booking of Taker at Survivior Series happening or even anything involving the 4 at Mania.
    Last edited by LK3185; 1 Week Ago at 10:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    I agree that it was a safe assumption, but if anything Taker could have at least went over in Melbourne and not here.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    Is this the most 'WCW' WWE has ever been?
    Bryan Alvarez was tweeting ads for his book, The Death of WCW towards the end of the show.

@Sir_Samuel

Can I ask why everyone hates Crown Jewel so much? I have a theory that it's because it was a fairly middle of the road show with a few pretty good matches that everyone was angry about going in.

I'm not trying to start a fight or anything, I'm just curious. Now, I'm only about halfway through the show, but from what I've seen the matches have been pretty good if a little "call it in the ring" basic and somewhat short (keeping in mind that half of the guys in singles matches were pulling double or triple duty). But from what I've seen online, a lot of people are pissed that Shane won the World Cup tournament -- a tournament that those exact same people just mere days beforehand said meant nothing and was pointless. Are people angry that Brock won the belt? Their champion just had to vacate unexpectedly, it's pretty standard fare to go back to the last guy until you get your shit figured out -- plus on WWE's end I could definitely see them thinking that it'll help them pop a house for one more match with Braun or whomever beats Brock. Are people upset because the Brothers of Destruction, of all people, could have used a win?

From what I've seen so far, when you take a step back from the built-in vitriol, Crown Jewel was a fairly middle of the road show with some fun, albeit basic, matches; a special attraction main event; a tournament winner that was more for an angle than anything (something straight out of the beloved Attitude Era); and a title match that re-set the Universal Championship to where it was before Roman while they rethink plans.

So, what exactly is it about that show that's "Death of WCW" level terrible?

Also, safe to say that Miz-Shane McMahon will be on either Survivor Series or Royal Rumble?

What bothers me is that the amount of things that are a mile away from what I want to see. Hard to look kindly on things when you don't want to see Shane wrestling never mind winning, don't want to see fifty plus guys. If you're over Lesnar too I reckon that just makes it worse.

If people were enjoying the show generally it might be different but they are not so this just looks like more of the same problem.

I get that. I've not seen the show yet but I did roll my eyes when I read that Shane won.

My guess is that it's so far removed from what people want to see that the quality of the execution becomes meaningless.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

WWE has, without a doubt, the best in ring roster it's had for 20-25 years, if not ever, in terms of what the performers are capable of between the ropes. Sure, throw conditions on it about how good they are outside of the ring if you want, but for me that's a fact.

So a show headlined by 50+ retired guys, in which a 48 year old retired guy wins a 'prestigious' tournament, and 37 year old part-time who clearly doesn't care wins the biggest title on the show meaning it's not going to be present for months on end - yeah, even on a good show those results are going to get shat on.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    So, what exactly is it about that show that's "Death of WCW" level terrible?
    Since you asked...

- WWE decides to put on a tournament to crown the Best in the World and treat it like a serious competition with big name stars. WCW did this multiple times for multiple titles in 99' and 2000 IIRC. Like in WCW, the tournament is pretty rocky from the start, but not a disaster. Then, unforeseen things happen, including no one bothering to check with the biggest star in the thing (John Cena) to see if he even wants to be in it and have to appear at Crown Jewel after news breaks that the Saudi Royal family is very likely behind the murder and beheading of a journalist. So Cena's out, but, he's not the only one as the guy whose wrestling for the WWE Championship also wants out. Whoops.

So, how is this like WCW, you ask?

This is similar to WCW in that it feels like they had a plan, but unforeseen circumstances (that kinda could've been foreseen) forced them to book on the fly. That's not necessarily their fault, but WWE has often had the reputation of being this well-oiled machine compared to WCW so them having to play fast-and-loose is worth mentioning. WCW had a similar issue with Benoit by the end of his run. They made him the World Champion despite being very aware that he had every intention of leaving the company. They didn't do exactly the same thing with Cena and Bryan, but their absence was still something WWE could've handled better and maybe even avoided altogether.

- Then, at the show, a non-wrestler wins the tournament in under 3 minutes. Maybe there was a valid explanation for it. Maybe this was the plan on all along. Maybe this was the best choice they felt they could make to further an angle or whatever. At the end of the day, by having a tournament they spent weeks and hours of TV time building end in an angle with Shane McMahon inserting himself willy-nilly into the finals - its just impossible to make that sound good on paper. There's lots of fans, like myself, who didn't watch it and won't watch it. And that's very WCW because, at the end of WCW, it didn't matter that Scott Steiner and Goldberg were still delivering some good matches, or that 3 Count and the Jung Dragons were tearing it up. On paper, WCW was crap.

That is how this is similar to WCW. David Arquette's Championship reign could've been excellent. Vince Russo's Championship victory could've been executed perfectly. On paper, though, when people read that headline, it read as stupid. Shane McMahon inserting himself into a Best in the World Tournament and symbolically defeating Rey Mysterio, Randy Orton, John Cena, Seth Rollins, and Jeff Hardy in under 3 minutes isn't getting him heat, its making me think WWE is so desperate they don't even care if what they're doing is outright stupid. Why would I tune in to a show that actively trolls me? Why would I tune in to a show that makes me feel for dumb for investing my time in it?

- Remember when Sting won the title at Starrcade 97', but because they didn't have a clear direction for him after that and WWE started winning the ratings war, they swiftly put the title back on Hogan? And then, at the end of 98', despite building up Goldberg as the next big star, they opted to put the title back on Hogan with the Fingerpoke of Doom in January 99' because there was a fear that Goldberg at the top hadn't really been enough to keep WCW competitive with WWE as The Rock and Austin became even bigger stars? How well did Goldberg and Sting fare after those runs? Not well. Did putting the title back on Hogan fix the problem?

This is essentially what people are comparing to Brock Lesnar now.

WWE thinks it is playing it safe by putting the title back on the last guy that had it, but I'm not sure the audience is craving "safe" - especially when the WWE has effectively made it clear that Lesnar is a heel only because he's so good at wrestling, he's bored by it. He's so unbeatable, so unchallenged, that his gimmick is basically "Even though I'm unmotivated, I'm still better than your best guy." In the meantime, they hurt Reigns considerably with the loss at WrestleMania and now Strowman is 0-2 against Lesnar as well.

As others have pointed out, Hogan (and to a lesser degree, Kevin Nash) worked magic in WCW by doing very little and making a whole ton of money and not necessarily helping to put over anybody. All the while, WCW's ratings and popularity declined steadily. Sounds like the booking of Brock Lesnar to me.

- On to the main event. The comparison to WCW isn't quite as easy because Hulk Hogan was 47 when he was working matches for WCW in 2000 while Sting and Nash were 41. Piper was 46 in 2000, but basically stopped wrestling in 99' (at age 45). Flair was still going at 51, but it'd be silly to mock WCW for using Flair in 2000 when the WWE had him wrestling weekly some 7-8 years after that.

The Undertaker and Shawn Michaels are 53, Kane is 51, and Triple H is 49. So, in this case, WWE's "dinosaur" main event is actually older than any of the WCW "dinosaur" main events that ever happened.

And when WCW used to run those Slamboree shows with stars of yesteryear, they usually had it main evented by their current stars. It wasn't like Thunderbolt Patterson and Dory Funk were given top billing at Slamboree 93'. At Crown Jewel, the WWE didn't even bother to do that - probably because the biggest winners of the night were all guys over 40 who wrestle roughly 3-5 matches a year. Everyone else was made to look impotent, unimportant, or both.

I think people hated Crown Jewel so much because an untrained chimp, or Zak's Dog could have booked it better honestly. I just watched it today in 40 minutes. I fast forwarded through like 3 hours of the show, and I still feel like I spent way too much time watching it.

Shane winning was so bad it was hilarious. I laughed for like 10 minutes. How ridiculous? I thought it would be Miz's final breakthrough to another World Title run, and it ended in Shane O'Mac air punching his baby hands to victory. The entire final match segment felt like Vince Russo booked the hell out of it, which is why I imagine some people are drawing comparisons to WCW.

Braun losing to Brock was mystifying. They have dropped the ball so hard on Braun it is unreal. This is on a whole new level of failure, way above the travesty that was Ryback's cold push. It's almost cartoonishly bad. It's like that loser friend you have (you know which one) actually having a shot at hooking up with one of the hottest women you've ever seen, she wants him so bad that it is an absolute lay up, and then he just fumbles, stumbles, and sabotages himself into oblivion, and far out of her glorious pants. They could have printed money with Braun for 2-3 years merchendising wise, and instead they shot their load in their loose fitting khakis.

The wrestling was good through most of the matches, but the booking was so bad it was terrifyingly painful.

My personal grievances with the show were two:

- I liked the first and second round World Cup matches. But what I really disliked is that they took they spent the majority of the past month or so hyping up just to have the result it did. It rubs me the wrong way that all the hype was for that result, which will probably just be used for a Survivor Series match and nothing else.

- I didn't mind Brock Lesnar winning the title again. What I did mind is how they treated Braun Strowman like a low-level jobber. Here's a guy who was as hot as anyone in the company and they just halted that momentum in a few minutes.

It just doesn't seem that these results help anyone in the long run. Admittedly, it's early to see what comes out of it but like I mentioned before, I pretty much have no faith left in me anymore.