Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crown Jewel

I mean, one thing on my mind is that they put it on in London because then it can still be 'Crown Jewel' and tie in to the Royal Family and stuff. There is, for example, nothing scheduled at Wembley Stadium between Spurs vs Man City on October 29th (the day after the NFL Eagles vs Jaguars game, which will give them a lovely playing surface I'm sure) and Spurs vs PSV Eindhoven on November 6th, which gives them a window to set up and then dismantle a stage, plus puts the show in front of a crowd which will (likely) be quite receptive to it all. I think they could probably sell Wembley out for it, too. I'd be tempted to try and get a ticket for it and travel to London if it didn't work out being hugely expensive.

It also gives them a free hit at arranging a UK PPV without really any downside if it doesn't work perfectly.

Alternatively, they scrap it and spend two extra weeks building matches to take place at Survivor Series, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    I mean, one thing on my mind is that they put it on in London because then it can still be 'Crown Jewel' and tie in to the Royal Family and stuff. There is, for example, nothing scheduled at Wembley Stadium between Spurs vs Man City on October 29th (the day after the NFL Eagles vs Jaguars game, which will give them a lovely playing surface I'm sure) and Spurs vs PSV Eindhoven on November 6th, which gives them a window to set up and then dismantle a stage, plus puts the show in front of a crowd which will (likely) be quite receptive to it all. I think they could probably sell Wembley out for it, too. I'd be tempted to try and get a ticket for it and travel to London if it didn't work out being hugely expensive.

It also gives them a free hit at arranging a UK PPV without really any downside if it doesn't work perfectly.

Alternatively, they scrap it and spend two extra weeks building matches to take place at Survivor Series, I guess.
    I doubt they try to run a big stadium show anywhere on a few weeks notice.. it will be 20K at most. Also, they won't be scrapping the show.

I doubt it would even be 20K. This is another thing people don't seem to grasp; coordinating shows takes time and costs quite a bit a money. To try and get both done on such short notice, without the cash that SA was providing WWE to help put this show together (remember sports fans, when that cash goes away then so do the massive pay days for guys like Brock and HBK, who were only doing this show because of that. Are they still going to want to without the money?)...I'm not sure how feasible that is. I'd anticipate that's exactly why no announcement has been made yet. If WWE were really going to cancel as was reported yesterday, I'm pretty sure there would've been an announcement yesterday. Why wait? The fact that they haven't tells me it's contingent on them finding another place to do a show/finding a way out of the deal and they haven't yet.

And by the by; if they do find a way out and move this to another place, so the hell what? That suddenly makes the past few weeks okay and all forgiven? If I were still watching at this point and WWE decided to pull out of SA and hold the show here in Providence there'd be no chance of me going. That be like some guy robbing my house, returning the stuff and then me rewarding him with a fucking steak dinner. It be one thing if WWE did this as soon as it was apparent the journalist was dead (and save me the "we didn't know until this week" stuff some are saying; it was pretty apparent after he was gone ten days that he was either dead or locked away), but them doing it several weeks after and only because some of their top talent (the real heroes here) stood up isn't worth giving them a cookie over. It'll undoubtedly happen because it's pretty clear that most fans I've encountered (thankfully none here to this point) don't actually care about this situation, they just care about feeling good morally about supporting WWE. Once/if WWE pulls out, that will be enough for them to forget that WWE didn't do it cause it was the right thing to do and enjoy whatever it is they'll enjoy.

All the venues I've seen mooted in rumours over the last couple of days have been around 15k.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Anyone notice that they haven't said "Saudi Arabia" since this situation? It's only been "Crown Jewel". This tells me that they're going to change the venue or are at least going to toy with the idea. You can't make video packages leading up using the ppv name if they mention Saudi Arabia and its not actually there.

Its something I noticed and I hope that means they'll change it.

Yeah ever since the story broke into mainstream news WWE haven't mentioned Saudi Arabia on air once, assuming that's because they knew the backlash they'd get if they did.

Also, see the announcement about Hulk Hogan appearing at Crown Jewel? Jesus Christ, I can't stop laughing at the ineptitude of it all.

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    Yeah, they've even taken the location off on the WWE website (although they have not updated that site at all for a while given that they're still promoting Roman Reigns in the main event). It's the best they could do right now, keep quiet about it and see if they can manage to pull off the event somehow without postponing or cancelling outright.

If I were to guess, if they cancel the trip to Saudi Arabia (which I think is the most likely outcome) I think they'll run the event in the U.S. I can only imagine the logistics required to have an event of that scale is a nightmare. Add in the complexities of dealing with another country altogether, and doing it on rather short notice, and I can't see how they would be able to do this without setting things up months in advance. If the WWE manages to find a sizable venue outside of the U.S. and have it go with few issues, they deserve to get props for it, honestly.
    Last edited by Degenerate; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:35 AM.

Could they not just tie it in with Raw the night after? Presumably they have to set up that stage a bit in advance - might they not juts as well run Crown Jewel in the same place the night before?

Although equally I've just noticed Crown Jewel was scheduled for a Friday rather than a weekend, so that would presumably need a date shift.

Also, Raw on November 5th is in the Manchester Arena, UK, so still points to the event being held overseas. Otherwise they're going to have to run it on a weekend (I doubt they'd run a Friday event in the States?) and then immediately fly everything to the UK to set up in Manchester. I hadn't realised that before now, didn't realise this was tied to the annual European tour in terms of timing.

Heard it suggested that this is basically out of their hands now and it'll be the US State department that makes the final call as to whether they go or not.

If you Google 'Manchester Arena events' it comes up with a link to this, untitled WWE show, on November 3rd:

https://www.ents24.com/manchester-ev...nt-wwe/2904388

This isn't on the actual MEN site, nor is it on the WWE site.

Equally, they're due to run two shows in Madrid and Cardiff on that date. I suppose given there's only a small roster required for Crown Jewel itself, and people like Cena, Rey and Angle (possibly Bryan?) likely wouldn't be working house shows, and I'm sure HHH, HBK, Taker, Kane, and Brock wouldn't be, they could probably pull the handful of regular performers off those house shows and have them appear at Crown Jewel.

Yeah, that's been doing the rounds. My guess is that's the back up plan, especially as RAW is at the same venue a couple of days later.

On that, WWE just released their Q3 2018 report, in which under the '2018 Business Outlook' section it reads:

"WWE has operated in the Middle East for nearly 20 years and has developed a sizable and dedicated fan base. Considering the heinous crime committed at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, the Company faced a very difficult decision as it relates to its event scheduled for November 2 in Riyadh. Similar to other U.S.-based companies who plan to continue operations in Saudi Arabia, the Company has decided to uphold its contractual obligations to the General Sports Authority and stage the event. Full year 2018 guidance is predicated on the staging of the Riyadh event as scheduled."

Full Q3 report can be found here if you're interested in corporate blah.
    http://corporate.wwe.com/news/compan...018/10-25-2018

Hogan still can't do anything right. As mentioned the WWE has stopped saying "Saudi Arabia" for weeks now, but Hogan's first comment in public about going to Crown Jewel was that he can't wait to join the WWE in Saudi Arabia. What an idiot.

Yeah sounds like as expected it's going ahead.

Yeah, I just saw that, and they sort of buried it in an earnings report instead of making a public statement about it. It's such a bad look for them, and unfortunately it might just be the last straw for me. There's so much other wrestling out there that I can enjoy.

I don't have the network right now but honestly, i would have gotten it if they had moved the show.. The network was so valuable to me even beyond the current stuff but if even after all this mess, they can't move the show then i can't do business with them... Shame cause there's actually some things coming up that I know i would enjoy.

Why on earth would moving the show have made a difference? This is what infuriates me. It's perfectly clear at this stage that the only reason they'd move the event would be due to the public/corporate backlash or because the State Department told them no; not because they actually give a damn about this situation. If they did, this deal wouldn't have been agreed to in the first place or WWE would've pulled out of Saudi Arabia weeks ago when it became apparent Jamal Khashoggi had been killed or was being held against his will. Rewarding or praising WWE for moving the event at the last minute only because of bad PR would be the equivalent of someone robbing my house, them getting caught and being forced to give it back and then me buying the robber a steak dinner. That people would've been so quick to forgive WWE for this if they had just moved the show tells me that what the Saudi's did doesn't really matter; all that matters is that WWE did enough for people to feel good about themselves morally so they could keep the Network or keep watching RAW.

The last straw was them agreeing to this deal in the first place knowing what kind of country Saudi Arabia was and how the ruling monarchy treat women, LGBT's or any one with a different point of view than them (and that's not even getting into the religious aspects of it all). If WWE had realized their mistake right away and pulled out then that would be one thing. Instead their best case scenario was pulling out just a week before the show due to pressure, and they couldn't even make that lay up. They deserve not a single lick of credit, they deserved no credit even if they had moved it and anyone who thinks they did...I really just don't get it. I'm sorry, but I don't.

Let me ask...Do you still buy gasoline for your car? If you do, then you support Saudi Arabia and other countries like that. They do not care about our politics or our reactions to what happened to the journalist. They only care about money. If you will not buy the WWE Network in a boycott of the death, then you should also stop buying or using vehicles that require oil and gas.

You can't pick which battle of the war you draw the line on. If you still buy and use their oil, then why does it matter if you watch the WWE that is running an entertainment show there? I am not trying to star a political debate, I am just pointing out that when people try to boycott or take a stand on one issue they also support it in other ways.

It is similar to the plastic straw debacle. California bans plastic straws, but still allows plastic bags at stores, plastic lids for their fast food, plastic water bottles, plastic toys and parts for their cars, etc., but straws are the problem. If you want to ban straws, then ban all plastic. See you can't pick the small battle of the larger war, because it is hypocritical.

Always thought that argument was bullshit. So what if you can't do everything? If you still choose to do what you can, then that's up to you, and there's nothing hypocritical about it.

That said I've never said I'm doing anything about this. I long ago accepted that WWE were not nice people but have continued to give them my money because I want access to the archive footage they have.

The argument is not bullshit, it is very legitimate.

You can't say one part of something is bad, but then say I'm ok with it because it helps you out in other ways. This is NOT about the WWE, it is about making a political statement by not supporting the WWE over where they are holding a show over a political mess, but then saying it is ok to use their products in other areas. People, including me are guilty of being hypocrites over issues like this.

Think of China. It is repulsive that they still have children working in factories making products for the US to buy, and I want that practice to end. But I still buy the cheap merchandise from China b/c it is so damn cheap. We are all hypocrites, so LK can buy/watch Crown Jewel and not feel guilty.

its not so black and white, WWE doesn't need to make feel morally right for me to support the product. Hell, I know Vince isn't the type of person this to relent to pressure when he could just take the money. I knew there was a long shot that the show would be moved.... And when i stopped watching the product on tv it was partly because I didn't want to see the propganda tour for Saudi Arabia. Having said that, I don't put this issue squarely on WWE.. They are in the end, doing what I expected them to do...The show being moved would have the show itself just another show. it doesn't make me think the WWE did it out of decency.

Also, nothing really changed from the last Saudi event to this one. So why did I have the network all that time? If you don't understand my feelings on the subject, you can't really judge me and what I do with my time.
    Last edited by LK3185; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:28 PM.

I don't see anything hypocritical in recognising that some things are beyond your control, and that you can't opt out of, and still thinking it is right to do what you can, when you can. And I think it's bullshit to suggest that it is.

Anyway, let's get this back to wrestling now.

I really thought that the WWE wouldn't be going to Saudi Arabia but I can't say that it's a total shock either. The way I view this whole thing is that the WWE was stuck between losing almost half a billion dollars throughout the next 9 years, or facing some backlash for the next few weeks or months. They're a business and have to answer to investors, so money will always win when it comes to that. I don't understand why people are upset thinking that they would take the moral high ground when all that money was at stake. Oh well, things will shake out eventually and we'll see in the upcoming years if this was a wise choice or not.

I wonder if they'll tone down the Saudi propaganda this time, though. I think the deal that's made is to promote Saudi Arabia's vision for the future, but given the events that happened no one is pretty much buying into it at this point anymore.

There's also rumors that John Cena and Daniel Bryan were insistent on not making the trip if it happened. If true, I wonder if they'll stick to their guns and refuse to go, and if they do how they'll be written off their roles for the event.

I admit, I'll still watch and am still looking forward to the wrestling portion of this event, which I still hope I can enjoy fully. I don't care about anything else other than Shawn Michaels being back in the ring at least one more time which I really hope leads to him getting that itch to do a couple of more matches and we get ourselves a potential dream match at Wrestlemania.

I mean, they have next week to do something with Cena and Bryan if needs be. Rumour is that Cena is 100% out at this stage, and given he's unlikely to turn up on TV anyway I imagine they'll just verbally say he's pulled out and run a qualification battle royal or similar. Bryan, I would assume, they can run an easy Miz attack angle with and continue that storyline as well as him having a shot at Styles down the line to 'cash in', if you like.

Part of me wonders whether if the names being rumoured to pull out were, for example, HBK and Undertaker, this might have had a very different outcome.

I just hope there aren't problems at the show, to be honest. I'm not sure what sort of security risk there could be on something like this, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't fearful of something happening.

What was Cena's role at this event? Did he even have a match?

EDIT: Just remembered, the world cup tournament. I must have forgot Cena was in it because he didn't have a qualifying match......
    Last edited by LifeLostInRewind; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:08 AM.

Seems like part of rumors were true - Cena is out of Crown Jewel, and was replaced by Bobby Lashley. I wonder what this means whatever's left of Cena's WWE career, although he's pretty much checked out at this point.

Daniel Bryan's status is still up in the air, although I would suspect at this point he'll be going and having his match. It would such to have a world championship match changing entirely just a few days beforehand.

Even if Cena was still full time, I doubt anything would come of him skipping it. He makes them too much money to face any real consequences for this.

Rumour is that Bryan is now definitely not making the trip for this either, so they'll have to do something with Styles. Lots of options apparently on the table, including having the match pretaped either after Smackdown tonight or possibly at the Performance Centre to air during the show. Alternatively, I've seen Rusev suggested as taking Bryan's place, which feels a bit weird. Why not just The Miz? Is he even doing anything on this show currently?

Miz is in the World Cup if I'm right? But yeah I think I've heard the Performance Center idea was shut down, but all other options are still up on the table.

Additionally, there's that huge news that's just been announced about Renee Young being on commentary for the show. That's a damn big barrier she's breaking, pretty sure that ain't gonna do shit to shift the overall perception of the show PR wise, but still pretty momentous.
    Last edited by TheImplications; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:48 PM.

The Brain
    I wonder if the commentary will be at ringside?

It is cool for Renee but it's hard for my cynical brain not to see this as an attempt to distract people from all the problematic stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by TheImplications View Post
    Miz is in the World Cup if I'm right? But yeah I think I've heard the Performance Center idea was shut down, but all other options are still up on the table.
    I had genuinely forgotten all about the tournament to find out who the best American wrestler signed to WWE right now is.

Shane said last night that if any Smackdown star loses to a Raw star they're no longer welcome on Smackdown. Empty threat? That basically means the losing finalist, seeing as it's set up to end as Raw vs Smackdown, gets kicked off.

Anyway, looks like they gave us Bryan vs Styles last night to allow for Joe vs Styles on Crown Jewel.

Hogan... ???

that's all.

“Stoop to your own level. Your nature. Trust yourself. And most importantly... You have to learn what laws are really laws and not… Oppression."

So Hulk Hogan is 'hosting' Crown Jewel.

At this point I feel like the WWE is taking a page from politicians and throwing out all the trash on a Friday afternoon. Just getting all the things that are going to cause controversy out of the way in one go, the coverage can only do so much in a short time.

Deplorable.

@Sir_Samuel

It's the only way to do this Hogan's comeback.
    Last edited by LWO4Life; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:30 AM. Reason: Don't drink and post people

This is exactly what Sam said above. You know that the the WWE would want to eventually bring Hulk Hogan back into the fold at some point in time. With all the controversy surrounding Crown Jewel, you might as well just throw this in to minimize the backlash since it won't be an isolated incident to target. It's actually smart on the WWE's side even if people don't agree with it. I'm surprised they didn't dig up more stuff to pile on, to be honest.

The concern is that this is a Hogan gateway, I suppose. We'll likely only know if this is a one off when we hit Mania season, but I can already see him as host for that off the back of this going down without (comparatively) much of a stink because there's so much other stuff to pick at that's bigger than Hogan.

If WWE want to bring him back into the fold, as others have pointed out, this is the show to do it on when there's so much other stuff to protest. When WWE use him again down the line, they can point back and go 'well he did this, where were your protests then?'. And if they did want him for Mania, they can do it without it being his first time back in the company.

I understand the concern but what can Hogan actually do besides hosting? I don't know, it just feels like limited potential regardless of his past fuck ups. He's not gonna wrestle a match and with all signs for the network skewing to the in ring product, having an ambassdor for the company isn't that big of a draw for the network... (Not to mention, he wouldn't be a good ambassdor due to his problems)

Not saying i'm okay with it, but there's only so much they can do with Hogan at this point.

Part of Hogan being there is definitely so they can knock all the scandals they can out in one swoop but the biggest reason they're doing it is, quite frankly, because they can and nothing will happen. At this point I'm pretty sure Hogan could do a SA propaganda video spouting racial slurs and WWE would just continue on like nothing happened while Hogan took another several year sabbatical before returning to do whatever (and that's another sign this is just WWE bringing him back just to do it. As Lazyking said, the guy offers nothing as a performer and less as an ambassador after his actions). It's the same reason they didn't pull out of this show. They know their Network subscriptions won't plummet, they know their ratings and attendance won't fall because of it; they know they can get away with it. It's all just an exercise in WWE coming out exactly the same as before with a bit of a PR hit, and all this slowly turns into the new normal.

Meltzer reporting that Bryan pulled out of the Saudi show because of their treatment of Homosexuals and Sami Zayn not being allowed... He didn't know of their treatment of homosexuals until after The greatest Royal Rumble apparently.. Also, he wanted Miz to beat him at the Australian show.