Power Struggle 2018

So, after the events of King of Pro Wrestling, Power Struggle's card has taken shape.

Jericho vs EVIL for the IC Title
    Naito vs Sabre Jr
    Taichi vs Ospreay for the NEVER Title
    Tanahashi & Finlay vs Golden Lovers
    Okada & Beretta vs White & Fale
    Super Jr Tag League 2018 final

The last stop before the Dome (I think?) should be pretty tidy from top to bottom. I'm especially looking forward to seeing Naito vs Sabre Jr - I expect a Naito win to avenge his NJC and G1 losses, but have certainly enjoyed their matches to date.

Nice to see Ospreay moving up to heavyweight. Not sure if that's a long-term thing, but of all the juniors he'd probably outgrown that level. And I always like to see my forever fave Beretta get a high profile match, which teaming with Okada surely is.

The Brain
    EVIL seems like such a weird opponent for Jericho. I liked EVIL just fine but you'd think they'd keep throwing him against top guys for the limited time they got him. Guess it's probably building up to the re-match with Naito.

Speaking of, that Naito/Sabre match will almost definitely be my favorite of the night!

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    Jericho vs. EVIL is definitely a weird-feeling match, especially as a main event for the show. I'll be at the show so I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with, though. I wonder if it will be another of those wild brawls that Jericho has been doing so far in New Japan.

Also, couldn't they have tagged someone better up with Tanahashi? I'm fine in general with Finlay but it just feels like he's filler since he doesn't have any business with Omega or Ibushi.

I'm sure they'll add some more to the event, but there's a lot of heavyweights left out of it (Suzuki, Ishii, Takagi, SANADA, Young Bucks, GoD, among others) that hopefully will have some matches to help shape up their Wrestle Kingdom matches. It's ridiculous how much talent the company has now.

Finlay/Omega have a match this month in Cali at the US version of the Lions gate Project.

So, at least it is kinda set up.

“Stoop to your own level. Your nature. Trust yourself. And most importantly... You have to learn what laws are really laws and not… Oppression."

Looks like an outstanding card; the kind Destruction maybe should have been.

There is still World Tag League, as well as Global Wars, but yes, this is the last major stop before the Dome. Most things should be set up by the time Power Struggle is over. I really wonder what's going to happen with Cody at the Dome if he's still NWA Worlds Champion--it appears he won't have a United States Title match before then. I was hoping the NWA Worlds Championship would be defended at Wrestle Kingdom, but that doesn't appear likely at the moment.

The Brain
    Love that gif in your sig, Mourn.

Maybe Cody will defend both in one match but only retain the NWA title due to the throwing over the top rope DQ rule, Flair/Fujinami style.

Looks like Power Struggle sold out on the first day that tickets were available to the general public. Good on them for filling up the arena so quickly. Jericho seems to be a draw for them.

I'm still salty over it because I failed to get tickets to the show. My dumb ass forgot to get them through the fan club, and then my credit card didn't want to work on the morning of general tickets were on sale. By the time I resolved the issue, the tickets were gone.

Damn, dude, that sucks.

The Brain
    Ahh, sorry man! Save up the money for next time I guess?

It's alright, though. I've been super-fortunate to have gone to plenty of amazing shows already this year. I'm taking it as giving someone else a chance to experience this one.

“Stoop to your own level. Your nature. Trust yourself. And most importantly... You have to learn what laws are really laws and not… Oppression."

New Japan just wants someone to die in Osaka, right? Because I think that's what will happen when you pit Suzuki and Ishii against each other with a title on the line.

The Brain
    I caught them going at it in RevPro earlier this year and it was pretty great, though I still get a bit uncomfortable with some of Ishii's headbutts. I have no doubt they'll tear the house down at any rate!

I came here just to say how into that match I am. Really looking forward to it.

Sadly NJPW has announced that Ospreay's injury hasn't healed as well as expected, and his NEVER challenge is now cancelled.

Wow, That's gonna suck if Ospreay can't make it back cause I think it was clear setup for Ospreay/Ibushi at Wrestle Kingdom.

I'm hoping they reschedule it for the World Tag League finals. Ishii vs. Suzuki? Not a bad replacement.

I'm not. Taichi (like any champion) shouldn't lose on their first defense.

It has already happened 3 times this year in NJPW; so whether it should or shouldn't happen; it has been happening.

Naito lost the I-C Title in his first defense; Elgin lost the NEVER Title in his first defense; and Juice lost the U.S. Title in his first. Don't act like Taichi is being singled out.

Looks like the NEVER Openweight championship match is back on, although Ospreay has been replaced. It'll now be Taichi against Goto.

Yeah; not looking forward to that at all, as I discussed last night on Kingdom of Honor.

They're not going to have Taichi hold a title at Wrestle Kingdom. Shame it won't be Ospreay but gotta get the title onto someone else. Goto is the only option, really.

Quote Originally Posted by LK3185 View Post
    They're not going to have Taichi hold a title at Wrestle Kingdom. Shame it won't be Ospreay but gotta get the title onto someone else. Goto is the only option, really.
    Ishii?

EDIT: I'm meaning at the dome.
    Last edited by Macho Mourn; 10-31-2018 at 02:00 AM.

Well, this happened yesterday and no one's chatting about it. I caught the second half of the show now and enjoyed it for the most part. Good matches, no surprises like last year, just a straight road to Wrestle Kingdom.

Shingo Takagi has been looking just amazing so far in New Japan. Despite LIJ not winning the Junior Tag titles, he looked awesome. Can't wait to see what else they do with him.

Poor Taichi, dropping the belt so soon. Oh well, at least he held a singles title in New Japan. I wonder what it'll set up for Goto at Wrestle Kingdom - maybe Ospreay will be back by then and get his shot.

I dug Ishii and Suzuki a lot. Those guys have no regard for each other, and I honestly couldn't have enjoyed it more.

I was kinda surprised that Jericho won with a Walls of Jericho submission. Naito for the save was expected, but in the post-match backstage interview Jericho said that Naito would never get any rematch with him. So we'll see how they push that forward.

Wrote a column up on the main page on yesterday's Power Struggle/the road to Wrestle Kingdom that's generated some good conversation. Basically, I really enjoyed Power Struggle, especially the three team tag, Suzuki-Ishii, Naito-ZSJ and EVIL-Jericho. Thought EVIL once again looked great in that main event spot, and I'm also looking forward to seeing what they have Naito do to change Jericho's mind (and I've just named half the card there lol).

But I don't what it is, I just don't feel that invested in the characters heading into Wrestle Kingdom this year. The matches are building up nicely, but character wise I'm just not feeling it. I posited in the column that maybe that's because NJPW are essentially trying to follow their modern day equivilant of Rock vs Austin, spending a year on more personal character driven matches probably makes a lot of sense and will be damn useful when building to WK14 next year.