Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Transgender Terror
    Who the fuck is Rey Mysterio?

The main page had an update about Rey's shoulder injury, from Rey himself....

So after Sunday’s Money In The Bank match against Samoa Joe which—there’s still some issues that need to be cleared up after that 1,2,3 pin, but due to the result at the ending of the match I separated a little bit of my AC joint, and we’re doing some PRP sessions here at the lab. Hopefully, this will improve my range of motion, which has been really bad. I got two uranage’s from Samoa Joe. Landed on my left shoulder, put all the weight on it. I’ve been having a hard time lifting up my arm.
    With this being said, I would think that the WWE (storywise) should strip Rey of the title, especially after the bad pin and award the title back to Joe. This would give Rey time to heal, and to allow for the feud to continue once Rey is good to go.

Transgender Terror
    Maybe we should kick him in the nads.

He’s doing comic con in the UK in July which suggests he may be off TV.

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    The reports were right - Rey Mysterio gave up the U.S. title back to Samoa Joe.

The handoff was well done, giving Joe that extra heat on him for attacking an injured man. But couldn't they have done at least a match between Joe and someone else for the title instead of just Rey giving it back? You could argue the whole thing about him not having been legally pinned previously. But a match would have given one more match to a show that barely had any wrestling in it, and it could have even set up Joe's next feud.

Of course, that would mean that the company actually gave the slightest of a damn towards the United States Championship. We all know that's not the case.

The Brain
    Dang, he really just handed it back? Yeah, doesn't sound like much thought went into that. :/

You know what gets me? Rey spent three and a half years floating between Lucha Underground, AAA and the indies (in both the US and Mexico) and not only had some of the best matches of his career but was healthy. Not even a year into this WWE run and he's hurt and will be missing time. It's like time just reverted to before he left WWE the first time and was always hurt.

It'll be really interesting to see what happens when his contract option comes up next April. That's all I'll say.

The Brain
    That's a good point, I thought when he came back he wasn't going to be working house shows but it looks like he's worked quite a few. While outside of WWE he would commonly only wrestle once or twice a month (or even not at all) but WWE's had him doing an average of 7 or 8 a month, all counted together. Not the best use of the guy at his age, even if he is still awesome.

Is it the work load or the WWE style? Or is Joe an unsafe worker? Joe injured Rollins and Rey....

Get the hell out of here with Samoa Joe is an unsafe worker. It has nothing to do with him and everything to do with the work load. Rey, at his age and with his wear and tear, should be working TV's only. The fact that he's working a full schedule, especially when WWE knows how much they ran him into the ground during his first run, is what led to this.

Like I said, it'll be interesting when the option comes up next April. I know enough to know that Rey is in WWE right now less because it was his main desire and more because they were the only real option at the time, with AAA still in the midst of a rebuild and AEW not yet around. If AEW had been around, he would've gone there instead. Now that they are around and WWE has largely taken Mysterio for granted (both in terms of his work load and creatively, especially when you remember they dropped the feud with Andrade for reasons I've still yet to hear) it wouldn't shock me at all if this WWE run was merely a one year pit stop.

Cult, it was not an accusation, it was a honest question....

There are wrestlers out there with bad reps for being unsafe.
    Last edited by Powder; 06-06-2019 at 02:35 PM.

Joe isn't an unsafe worker. Stop it.

Fine...jeez, I didn't know enough about Joe's career, as I never watched him in ROH and barely in TNA and NXT.

In most cases, shit just happens that's not really in control of the situation. I watched Joe's entire career and no one talked about him being unsafe. its not really a surprise when Rey gets injured. No one's fault. And IIRC, the Joe/Seth incident was where Joe was taking Seth to the ground, that's a freak thing.

Not like Joe is breaking people's noses every week

Not trying to add fuel to the fire, but wasn't Joe Kidd's opponent when his career ended?

It's a bit like saying D-Lo Brown was an unsafe worker because he paralysed Droz, or Edge because he broke Jose Estrada's neck. These things happen in the ring, it's a contact sport.

Kidd's neck was a freak accident, though. Like you said, it's a contact sport. I know a guy who almost broke his delivering a cutter from the top rope, because you can take that same safe bump a million times and all it takes is one.

I think this has more to do with Rey, for some reason, not getting that HBK schedule. If he's working three to four times per week, especially doing his style at his age, it's too much. He's not a big dude, and those bumps add up even more on smaller guys.

He used to be able to work three or four times per week, and then take an entire month off if he wanted some R&R. There's no reason for Rey to work more than TV, PPV and maybe house shows if they're in California or at MSG.

It's without question the schedule that led to Rey's injury. Here's some quick stats for you guys. In the four year stretch Rey was having his run with AAA, Lucha Underground, New Japan and an assortment of indies he worked a grand total of 41 matches in 2015, 36 matches in 2016, 51 in 2017 and 27 matches in 2018 before WWE in October. You know how many matches Rey then had between October, November and December for WWE? 27 matches! In the three months he was back with WWE full time he equaled the amount of matches he had for other promotions during the other nine months of 2018. That's a MAJOR increase in workload. He has been working fewer matches this year (only 26 before he got hurt) but a) some of that is due to the injury he suffered and b) he was still on pace (given that he was average a little over 5 matches per month) to wrestle around 62 matches this year, more than he ever did during his indie run. And that's if his average amount of matches per month hadn't increased. Given all that it's quite clear the schedule was Rey's undoing.

Now why did Rey get that schedule instead of a part time one? It's pretty much a case of Rey not having any leverage, which is why it's unfortunate (for him at least) that AEW didn't come along around the time he was negotiating. I can't 100% confirm this but every indication I've gotten is that, if Rey had had the choice, he wouldn't have gone back to WWE, at least not full time. He hasn't forgotten (though he has mostly forgiven) how WWE held him hostage back in 2014/2015, he doesn't love the schedule, ect. The issue was that he didn't have another strong option outside of WWE (Konnan hadn't re-established AAA as a viable promotion and Rey was never going to work full time in Japan), AEW wasn't around and, if nothing else, WWE was going to pay him. So in the end he could really only negotiate with them, and with them having all the power they were able to get him on, more or less, a full time schedule instead of the part time one he wanted. And thus here we are.

This is why I keep saying it'll be really interesting when his contract option (the one major thing he did get in negotiations) comes up in April. He loved working with the Young Bucks at All In and would love to work with the Elite guys again. He's life long friends with Konnan, who has not only turned around AAA (the company that gave Rey his first break in wrestling mind you) but also helped broker the AEW/AAA working agreement. And again, he wasn't too keen on going back to WWE anyway, and that was before the schedule got him hurt and WWE did silly stuff like cancel his feud with Andrade so they could do whatever the hell that angle was with Samoa Joe. WWE can always turn it around and it wouldn't surprise me if he decided to stay, but it also wouldn't stun me at all if Rey left and headed to AEW, where they will give him fewer days to work and the option to work AAA when/if he wants.

So they unmasked Rey again, huh?

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Yes and no. Yes Andrade took his mask, but Rey regained it in a backstage segment later in the night, and all reports are that, they are NOT moving forward with an unmasking or title vs mask match.

Man, I wish they would do a mask vs title match. Part of me has thought that's how Rey might go out from his wrestling career, losing his mask in a lucha de apuestas match, but I imagine that as long as he's active and not considering retirement he wants to retain it.

And, when he lost his mask in WCW was a terrible idea.