Thread: Country Music

Country Music

Seemed like there was a bit of momentum building in the country music thread before the reset, so let's have another go.

I sometimes listen to a radio show we have here on the BBC about country and they played this the other day. It's a bit less poppy than most of what was being posted in the older thread but I still think it'll play reasonably well with some people, especially if you're not put off by the blokes singing about drinking style of country. It's a new release I think, only out a few weeks ago.

They followed this up with Chris Stapleton's 'Whiskey and You', if anyone knows that song. I was feeling it.

Yeah, I'd say country has drinking songs on lockdown. It isn't that other genres don't do them but there is just something about country music that makes you want to raise a beer to the ceiling and sway.

I really liked that song, I'll actually listen to the whole album some time tomorrow they have a really cool sound, I noticed the album has a lot of songs about drinking and other substances so I'm expecting it will be a bit of fun.

In the spirit of country songs about drinks, drugs and the like here is a country cover of Snoop Dogg's Gin & Juice (from the other genre that does drinking songs the best), it is amazing how well the song converts over:

The Brain
    Stupid question I guess. Does Johnny Cash count as country? Or is he more of a folk guy? Or does he transcend genre?

That cover is a lot of fun.

Cash counts as country but he's also someone who crosses boundaries. There's something very rock n' roll about a lot of Cash, there's some folk influences as you say, and it's probably fair to say he owes a debt to gospel music as well.

The Brain
    I guess he'd be the closest thing to country that I listen to regularly then! Big Cash fan. Not super into most country but he's got a big presence on my playlist.

Also not sure if this counts but it's got a kind of heavy-country feel to it, if that's a thing, and I really like it.

It's also a song I think could work brilliantly as an entrance theme, maybe for a new Undertaker type character.

A lot of early Rock n Roll and country aren't too dissimilar, guys like Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis and of course Cash have a very strong country vibe too them.

Folk music also has a pretty huge crossover, singers like Neil Young are really very much part of both fields.

Just like any genre it is a very broad church.

As I mentioned it a few posts up, here's the song Whiskey and You for anyone who doesn't know it and wants to check it out.