Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Country Music

I really liked that song Dude, quite beautiful actually. I love how you can even hear coughs in the background, feels very intimate and very fitting for the kind of song this is.

It is a little different to that but the lead guitarist from the Foo Fighters, Chris Shiflett, just released a solo country album called Hard Lessons. I particularly enjoyed the lead track Liars Word.

Sorry guys, neglected the Country thread for the past couple of months. Criminal really. Anyway, John Prine bought a song out this year, if anyone wants to hear what he's up to nowadays. Some nice guitar on this one.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Love me some old country.

This song has a spiritual life after death feel. Good stuff.

https://youtu.be/aFkcAH-m9W0

^ Man, between this and the Dusty Rhodes material, you are living in an entirely different era, full of different moods and approaches. Much respect.

Though it's country rap, I am really feeling these two songs by an artist called Jelly Roll. He struggles with depression and many elements that come from a lower socio-economical experience. I think he conveys pain nicely through each chorus while telling true and vulnerable stories.

"Smoking Section"

"Same Asshole"

I grew up down the street from that guy. We used to smoke weed and backyard wrestle all the time during the summer. Then I moved away and years later when I moved back home, all the guys from the old neighborhood were telling me about how he was in the verge on blowing up. Crazy stuff.

That's a great story. He strikes me as just that type of guy. Reminds me of a lot of folks I grew up with but am far from now. Were you surprised when you heard or was it something people thought might happen?

That was quite a different feel to what I expected Mystic. Quite enjoyed it which I did not expect to.

I'll be for sure googling the lyrics and reading through them, rap lyrics often hide a lot of depth that you need to dig into.

It's crazy when someone you once knew blows up, you feel a big sense of pride but its also a bit of a mind bending thing because you always remember them as tjhe person you knew before they were famous.

Benny I loved that piece you put up. I adore country music that tells those kinds of stories I feel like that is the biggest strength of the genre, you can't help but feel it is authentic, even when it is cheesy.

Quote Originally Posted by For the love of Terry Funk View Post
    Have you heard Paul Cauthern? Closest thing I've found to a modern Johnny Cash
    He's actually just turned up in my 'release radar'. Anyone wants to hear the latest from him check out 'Holy Ghost Fire'.

What are our feeling about Old Town Road?

A month or so ago there was a lot of conjecture about how not calling it country was country music gate keeping. While I don't mind people being creative with genres I can't help but feel like the song is clearly just a hip hop song about beimg cow boy that sampled a country music song.

D'you know musically I live so far in my own little world now that while I know of it's existence, I still haven't actually heard it.

But I reckon there'll be some strong opinions, from what I have heard people say about it elsewhere.

I worry that generally popular country has already stripped a lot of what makes country special. When was the last time you heard a popular song with brushes on the drums or mandolins so something like Old Town Road does worry me.

That said it is easier than ever to find more niche tracks that do have those things I enjoy, they just aren't as widely listened to.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSam View Post
    What are our feeling about Old Town Road?
    Itís a fucking dumb song that is already spawning a horrendous fad in music.

You're speaking my language right now meandi.

I came across this recently, bloody amazing song. I believe it is quite famous too.

A few things I've heard in the last few weeks to give the thread a bit of a lift. Can't imagine everyone will like all of them but y'know, if you like some country you'll probably like at least one.

Really liked those PT. I ended up listening to the entire album from that last one, really incredible piece of country music. Really any music that wears its heart on its sleeve and lays out such a bold statement will get me fired up and this was no exception. As well as the track you put up I really like Union Town, Blood In The USA and A Bottle, Two Guitars & A Suitcase, all of which felt very apocalyptic, particularly Union Town & Blood In The USA. The whole album rings of autheticity too which for me is the most prized thing about country music.
    Last edited by SirSam; 09-10-2019 at 07:43 AM.

I know the UK isn't the place most people think of when they think of top-notch country, and generally I'd concur with that based on a lot of our output, but if the rest of the album is as good as the song I've just heard you could do worse than check out the artist, Yola. She's from Bristol, and it's mainly a country sound but there's a little sprinkling of soul mixed in there, too.

Big ol fan of the devil makes three
    See the latest of my Ric Flair saga click here. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...acock-(Part-2) View my story inspired by colorful wrestlers I've come across in my fandom. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...-the-Challenge

Great pick, dude, George Jones is a legend, a one of a kind!
    See the latest of my Ric Flair saga click here. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...acock-(Part-2) View my story inspired by colorful wrestlers I've come across in my fandom. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...-the-Challenge

Merle Haggard and Willie Nelson covering Townez Van Zandt. You can see Zandt a couple of times in the video.

I forget what people have shared so if I share your vid it's a good thing and means I liked it lol.

At the back end of last month, Sturgill Simpson bought out his Sound and Fury album. Anyone had chance to give it a listen yet?

I'm just listening to it now - and this first track is more Pink Floyd than country, to be honest. Not that I'm complaining about that - but it does sound like another one of these crossovers.

I did have a listen, honestly it felt like a little big of a creative mess. It was kind of all over the place, a guy jumping from idea to idea and didn't have the thematic focus of his last album that I loved.

I will give it some more listens because I really loved A Sailor's Guide To Earth.

What did you think PT?

I only got chance to listen to about half of a it, but I didn't think it sounded like a mess, really. I thought there were a few consistencies in various sounds pulling a few disparate elements together.

It's only got the loosest of connections back to country, though. Can't accuse him of staying in his lane, I guess.

He swears and is vulgar to hell but somehow it still feels heartfelt.

Dude, that was good and awkward. I think the worst part is just how casual he comes out of nowhere with his vulgarity.

That's tame compared to most of his work.

Probably his best song.