Thread: Country Music

Country Music

Seemed like there was a bit of momentum building in the country music thread before the reset, so let's have another go.

I sometimes listen to a radio show we have here on the BBC about country and they played this the other day. It's a bit less poppy than most of what was being posted in the older thread but I still think it'll play reasonably well with some people, especially if you're not put off by the blokes singing about drinking style of country. It's a new release I think, only out a few weeks ago.

They followed this up with Chris Stapleton's 'Whiskey and You', if anyone knows that song. I was feeling it.

Yeah, I'd say country has drinking songs on lockdown. It isn't that other genres don't do them but there is just something about country music that makes you want to raise a beer to the ceiling and sway.

I really liked that song, I'll actually listen to the whole album some time tomorrow they have a really cool sound, I noticed the album has a lot of songs about drinking and other substances so I'm expecting it will be a bit of fun.

In the spirit of country songs about drinks, drugs and the like here is a country cover of Snoop Dogg's Gin & Juice (from the other genre that does drinking songs the best), it is amazing how well the song converts over:

The Brain
    Stupid question I guess. Does Johnny Cash count as country? Or is he more of a folk guy? Or does he transcend genre?

That cover is a lot of fun.

Cash counts as country but he's also someone who crosses boundaries. There's something very rock n' roll about a lot of Cash, there's some folk influences as you say, and it's probably fair to say he owes a debt to gospel music as well.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    I guess he'd be the closest thing to country that I listen to regularly then! Big Cash fan. Not super into most country but he's got a big presence on my playlist.

Also not sure if this counts but it's got a kind of heavy-country feel to it, if that's a thing, and I really like it.

It's also a song I think could work brilliantly as an entrance theme, maybe for a new Undertaker type character.

A lot of early Rock n Roll and country aren't too dissimilar, guys like Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis and of course Cash have a very strong country vibe too them.

Folk music also has a pretty huge crossover, singers like Neil Young are really very much part of both fields.

Just like any genre it is a very broad church.

As I mentioned it a few posts up, here's the song Whiskey and You for anyone who doesn't know it and wants to check it out.

Stapleton kills Country, OK.

Here's an artist that's been getting rave reviews from the likes of Garth Brooks of late, not to mention more contemporary artists like Miranda Lambert and Eric Church. I think this is an older song that's been getting some airplay because her debut album came out a few weeks back. Ashley McBryde, Girl Going Nowhere. Was recently featured on the Bob Harris show I mentioned above.

This is a simpler, more stripped down mix than they had on the show, but I think it shows off the songwriting pretty well. Radio friendly without ever tipping into straight pop, I'd say.

But if some of that stuff is a bit 'Nashville' for you then maybe try this, which is probably my favourite new single I've heard in any genre lately. Zack Logan's 'Annalee', a defiant tale of sort of unrequited love, I guess you might say.

Last edited by Prime Time; 05-29-2018 at 11:08 AM.

So... I actually live in Nashville, and I hate the majority of country music. Let me rephrase that... I hate the majority of what’s on the radio and what we’re “known for”. There is some really good stuff out there if you dig deep, though. Stapleton gets it. (Especially when Justin Timberlake is involved... I have no idea how they hooked up, but please put out an entire album together. Side note... those two have an agreement that whenever one is playing a show in Nashville or the surrounding areas, the other will show up. JT played a huge arena a couple weeks ago, and Stapleton showed up. Later this fall, Stapleton is playing a small little festival just outside Nashville, and it’s already rumored JT will be showing up.)

Cam has some decent stuff. The Civil Wars blended country/folk/and everything else really well before they broke up. Amos Lee is another guy that kind of does the same. So much good stuff if you dig way below the Garth Brooks and Alan Jacksons and all that garbage.

By the stuff you hear on the radio do you mean things like this (the song Zac Brown called the worst song he'd ever heard)

I'm 100% sure this came out of one of those Nashville wrtier's rooms you hear about. It is so crazy that a genre that is meant to be all about authenticity and rawness could be so plastic and fake.

I saw worst song ever and that gets you kinda wanting to defend it, because hyperbole is just such a thing nowadays, y'know? So I played it and damned if it isn't atrocious.

Not a lot really grabbed my attention on the most recent Bob Harris this time out....

I just had a listen to those two songs Pete and really like both of them.

They are both very simple and stripped back, very nice guitar and pretty simple melodies but sometimes that is just what you want to hear. They both slowly introduced other instruments but never went over board or pushed it to far so kept the nice tone.

Both of them make me want to get better at finger picking on my guitar too.

How did you find that Zack Logan guy? he doesn't seem to have many listeners at all at least judging by his Spotify numbers.

Bob Harris played Annalee on his show on the 24th of May. I don't know if you'll be able to listen to it from Australia (or anywhere outside the UK really) but you can still find his show on the BBC website. Most of the newer acts I hear in the genre, I hear on there.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSam View Post
    By the stuff you hear on the radio do you mean things like this (the song Zac Brown called the worst song he'd ever heard)

I'm 100% sure this came out of one of those Nashville wrtier's rooms you hear about. It is so crazy that a genre that is meant to be all about authenticity and rawness could be so plastic and fake.
    That’s exactly what I was talking about. There’s sooooo much better stuff out there, but this is what Nashville (and country music in general) typically gets labeled with.

I think I posted it on a previous thread but I have really fallen deeply in love with the album A Sailor's Guide To Earth by Sturgill Simpson. Not sure if it is specifically because I have a kid on the way and relate a lot to the lyrics but I also feel like the music behind is really well composed, a bit of country but also some strings and horns on different tracks.

The album is a reflection on his two young songs early years in life, his hopes and aspirations for them and what he thinks of the world they live in.

Here is one of the ones that initially caught my ear, Breakers Roar:

Danko Manuel by Jason Isbell is a great song. Having difficulty embedding the video right now, or I’d post it.
    Last edited by meandi; 06-04-2018 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by meandi View Post
    Danko Manuel by Jason Isbell is a great song. Having difficulty embedding the video right now, or I’d post it.
    Yeah that is really good stuff. I liked pretty much everything about it, the singer is great and the guitar chord progression that runs throughout is really cool. I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to the lyrics but they sounded quite mournful, will have to dig a bit deeper with them.

I'll probably listen to the whole album after that one.

The album it’s on his actually a Drive By Truckers album, and it’s not nearly as good as Isbell’s solo rendition of it. They leave out the entire slide pick guitar solo from what I remember

Anyone else out there got love for Sturgill Simpson? He is still very much my jam country wise right now.

I liked the one you posted above fine. But at the same time, have to admit I did not rush out to find a lot more immediately.

Just wanted to take a second to appreciate the pun work going on in Brad Paisley's 'Outstanding in our field'.

Couple of new things to listen to, if you are so inclined.

Annie Keating:

Jason Isbell:

Both released over the past year.
    Last edited by Prime Time; 07-04-2018 at 05:32 AM.

Couple more things on the radio lately. One very new, the other about 15 years old and there's a decent chance an enthusiast will know it.

I'm becoming a bit of a one man Pandora in this thread. That's OK though. Here's one of my favourite covers. It's probably more bluegrass than country but I guess that's near enough for us. Just hope someone gets as much of a kick out of it as I do!

Even though Cam wasn’t born and raised here, we claim her. (I’ve already stated in this thread that I live in Nashville... home of country music.) Cam is hit or miss for me, though... she nails it with the song you linked, as well as “Burning House”. Some of her other stuff is to “twangy” for me. I’m in love with country when it still has the heart and soul, and not... the commercial appeal. Ie... Luke Bryan. Jake Owen. (Total douchebag, btw... he often comes into my place of work and thinks he’s king shit and everyone should bow before him. Fuck him.) I’ll even throw in Alan Jackson and Brooks and Dunn. Fuck all those guys and their music. There’s a really good underground country music scene going on. Like... Johnny and June and Patsy and all the guys that stumbled drunk as shit out of the back of Tootsie’s and straight to the Ran and even Jerry Lee and even pre-famous Elvis scene going on in Nashville. But they get no respect or radio-play because they’re not famous. Pisses me off. /rant