Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones

Game of Thrones

I understand that the final series finished shooting in the summer and is slated to air early in the New Year.

We're getting ahead of ourselves a little but any speculation about what we'll see can go here.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Woah, I didn't realise it was early next year. That excites me a lot.

Overall quality has dipped off a tad in the most recent seasons however I'd be lying if I said I wasn't massively invested in the story and characters. While their grasp on the narrative hasn't been so great they have undoubtedly improved in their handling of action set pieces and I feel like that will take a centerpiece in the final season.

The Brain
    I just wish the book series was as close to being finished. But the show has been really good too. I agree with Sam that I didn't love the last season as much as some of the earlier ones but if they're pulling out all the stops for the big finish, you can bet for sure I'll be there, front and center (or at least ready to binge when the finale comes around).

I totally disagree with you guys. While the season before dragged a little with the Aria stuff, last season was completely awesome and kept getting better each episode. As far as what we'll see next season? Lots and lots of deaths.

Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar
    Yeah, I generally have to disagree with the notion that quality has dipped as well. There's obviously been some changes as the pace of storytelling has sped up, but it's come with the cutting out of unnecessary filler and trimmed fat and I dug the streamlined storytelling of last year. I also really dug S6 as well - for me the season hit its lowest point in S5, honestly.

I have been reading that S8 and the invasion of the White Walkers will feature the largest scale battle scene in television history, and that will make the Battle of the Bastards look like playtime. It took them weeks to shoot it. For that alone I'm damn excited! Though it's a little surreal to think we'll know how it all ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel 'Plan View Post
    for me the season hit its lowest point in S5, honestly.
    ^ This. Me and a friend both said after season 5 that we'd only continue watching provided Tyrion stayed alive. Suffice to say, since then season 6 and 7 have stepped up so we no longer say that. But season 5, while still awesome TV, was a definite down turn in quality.

Looking forward to what happens in season 8. Any guesses on who ends up on the iron throne? Who's the dark horse?
    Last edited by Gooner; 11-06-2018 at 12:21 PM.

I've tried taking up column writing, check it out here!

Words from a Gooner #2: 7 Treatments for Wrestlemania Fever

I really fucking hope it isn't Cersei. I think the Dark Horse is Aria, but I do believe that John will end up on the Iron Throne; or Dani will after killing him.

I just like the idea of the White Walkers winning and the Night King sitting on the throne. It's completely in line with what we've seen from the series in most seasons, the bad guys winning. Plus GOT tends to say "F*** You" at conventional TV tropes...

Doubt it would happen, but it would be a ballsy move.

Sometimes the obvious choice is obvious for a reason, and it's because it's the right one. The closer we've gotten to the end of the show the more it's felt like Jon Snow's story, at least to me. He and Dany overlapped last season at long last and I think it's now Jon's narrative to take home. The mystery of his mother was the major mystery behind most of the story, so to me the narrative demands he be the one to sit the Throne.

There are other options of course, but I think Jon makes the most sense. Or Dany. Obvious, sure, but like I said, there are times when that's the best way to go to prevent your audience from feeling cheated. It's vitally important they don't leave us feeling like that, because the ending of something can often come to overshadow everything else and GOT would deserve better.

So yeah, I guess the nerd in me his raising his banner for the White Wolf.

...um, I didn't mean that to sound like such an innuendo. Oops!

It has always been about The Starks and Targaryens. It is called The Song of Ice and Fire after all.

It will be interesting how the pincer their army is in plays out. They have the Army of the Dead coming from the north and the Lannisters in the south ready to pick the scraps afterwards.

Started seeing adverts for this lately, hype machine starting to wake up.

I'm planning on re-watching the whole series before April 14th. Actually really looking forward to it considering the sheer amount of content to get through.

I binge watched it in autumn but that doesn’t necessarily mean I won’t again. Maybe over Easter.

The trailers have been fun and I feel royally teased.

Add me to the pile of people intending to watch through every single episode to this point ahead of the new series too! I still need to get out and buy Season 7 though. I have all the others.

Extremely amped up for the final six episodes. Have plans to do a weekly viewing party at a friend's house as the season unfolds. Weird to think that in just a few short months we'll finally know who sits the Iron Throne!

Am I the only one thinking Jon and Danny are somehow both a bit too obvious?

Am I the only one thinking Jon and Danny are somehow both a bit too obvious?
    Yes, I feel something else will happen. The latest teaser trailer with the stone statues seemed to suggest a possible outcome, or did I just read into it too much? Jon's statue appeared "older" than Sansa's and Arya.

Add me to the pile of people intending to watch through every single episode to this point ahead of the new series too!
    And me!

Finished Season 2 tonight in my re-watch. It's as absorbing as ever and I feel like once all is said and done I shall be re-watching this for many years to come.

Blackwater (s2e9) is the standout episode so far, a quite magnificent hour of television.

My watch through starts today! I read that if you watch one episode a day starting today (Feb 6th here in the UK) then you'll finish it right in time for the new series to start! I haven't fact checked that but I have decided to do exactly that! Properly excited to get cracking!

I watched them all in one weekend last time, so won’t watch any till at least mid march.

I just started Season 2 and I forgot how middling it is in its quality. Also, I can't say I've enjoyed revisiting Dany's story all that much so far. Even through S1 it was notably the least interesting part of the show, and I remember it only getting less interesting in S2. Guess we'll see.

What struck me about S1 though, going back to see it now, is the looming sense of foreboding it had even then. From literally the start of the first episode, there's an atmosphere of dread that persists relentlessly and it really was quite effective, especially by the time you get to Episode 9 of course.

My main takeaway from season 1 is the lack of budget it had compared to later seasons. It is only noticeable in certain scenes, mainly battle scenes, but they do take some getting used to.

Just started season 5 this weekend. Racing through it, which is a good thing as it means, at least for me, it remains as gripping as it did first time round.

Yeah i think it was in season 1 when they skipped a battle entirely and all of a sudden Jamie is a prisoner.

Just watched Battle of the Blackwater today. It's a damn fine episode of television, but I have to say that it now pales in comparison to what they would go on to achieve in Seasons 5-6 and some of the epic battles in those. Still, very good though. S2 was overdue some strength, it's generally flimsier all round than most of the other seasons, and Blackwater delivers; the episode before it did too, incidentally.

I'm halfway through season 6, Jon has just been resurrected (spoiler, but it's years removed, so sorry, not sorry). Hardhome probably shades Blackwater in terms of a battle. But it's close, there's something very gratifying seeing Tyrion out-think opponents.

I'm up to season four in my one-a-day re-watch, today being Episode 2. I think this is the strongest season by some distance so I'm hugely looking forward to sinking my teeth into it, and I've already been reminded just how brilliantly the show portrayed Oberyn Martell thanks to his incredible first scene confronting some soldiers in a brothel. Tremendous stuff, truly!

They released a full trailer for S8 the other day. Has anyone had a chance to see it? The Battle for the Dawn (between the armies of living and dead) looks especially exciting, and is apparently the longest consecutive fight sequence ever filmed, edging out the 40 minutes long Helms Deep siege in Lords of the Rings: The Two Towers.

Oberyn is probably my second favourite character (after Tyrion) so I was a little disappointed how that turned out... I agree, season 4 is one of the better ones, along with season 2 for me.

Just finished the last episode so I am now ready for the last season. The quality throughout the run is exceptional, everything from the acting, storytelling, set pieces, drama... but there's one episode that greatly lets it down. Beyond the wall (s7e6) really suffers from a number of problems. Mainly to do with the speed of the plot, where they crammed in so much into one hour that, compared to other episodes and arcs, seemed impossible. Everything felt rushed and you're supposed to believe that Jon's men got word to Dany via a raven (Gendry running back to the wall to send it), who came rushing with her dragons. And all within a day or so. When you look at the distances that covered it hurts the reality of it all. Then there's the whole battle itself which is a little unrealistic and you get the feeling that they would have benefited lengthening this particular plot over many episodes.

That's a small criticism though, because overall each season has been sublime and a joy to relive.

I get the criticisms for Beyond the Wall but there’s so much ass kicking and all the badass characters coming together to go north makes it one of my favorites.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the episode. But it's the only one of the entire series that made me think while watching it 'that's a bit of a stretch'. We're already programmed to park our realistic tendencies when watching a fantasy-based show, but there's only so much you can do before it becomes noticeable. And like I said, it's in contrast to most of the rest of the series. Varys and Littlefinger sure do get about quickly too, but you can usually forgive that to some extent as it mostly happens off-screen or over the course of a couple of episodes. This was just a bit too much of a stretch for me and brought me out of the moment.

Just finished season 6. So Jon is the rightful heir? If Iíve got that right, thatís great! Havenít liked Daenerys from the start of this series. The thought of her closing out season 8 as the one sitting on the throne is just as bad as it would be if it was Cersei. Can only see her being the one sitting there if she kills Jon, and I just canít see that. Surely theyíd want to end the series on a good note for the fans. The thing Iím struggling with is who I actually see ending the series on the throne. If you had a gun to my head I would say Jon. But I find Cersei and Daenerys too evil at heart in the same way I find Jon too good at heart. I feel the person who rules needs to have an equal amount of both. Perhaps thatís just me. I am actually struggling to think of someone who I think is the right choice. Iíd love it to be Tyrion but just canít see it. I think reluctantly Jon will take it perhaps after Sansa, Arya and Bran are killed in the final season. Unfortunately I also have this nagging feeling that Bran will for whatever reason be the one to be on the throne.

I'm pulling for the Night King, purely for the shock factor. It's a long shot, but there's some small signs that it could happen. Plus it would be in keeping of the show to throw out the usual TV tropes out of the window (i.e. killing beloved characters).

There's a great little theory going around about Bran at the moment that perhaps he created the Night King (think something similar to what happened to Hodor) in the first place. He's almost the forgotten character but he arguably holds the biggest part of the puzzle, namely his ability to 'see' everything.

My predictions for this season are:

Winterfell is going down in episode 3. Whoever is left standing will have to retreat to Kings Landing because the Golden Compny will be the only Army left, they will also need the stash of Wildfire and those Scorpion things to blast the ice dragons (or dragons by that point out of the sky).

Cersei won't let them in so Jamie will be sent into negotiatie she won't be having it so he'll have to kill her while the Hound, or Brieanne or Ayra (or a combination of them) deals with the Mountain

Last episode will be the last stand at Kings Landing between the living and the dead. Don't think they will be able to kill the Night King, they will have to make a sacrifice for peace (whatever or whoever the Prince that was promised is)

As a bonus prediction reckon what Ayra is legging it from in the trailer is the reanimated corpses of her family from the crypt
    Last edited by blunt force balls.; 04-14-2019 at 03:54 AM.

Bit of a mixed bag for me with the opener. Stayed up till 2am and I was a little bit disappointed. I was baying for action but a little sprinkling of death and devastation would have been nice.

However, I loved Gendry and Arya (Arya had too many reunion scenes though) and also the Cersei/Euron scenes. The ending was well done too. The best bit for me was the big reveal of the truth and the way it was written as “you're the king and the pretender killed my dad and brother in cold blood.” That was great.

I don’t want Bronn to work for Cersei. The idea of him “turning heel” turns my stomach a bit.

I wish Yara and Theon were dead.

The kid screaming made me spill my beer. Not impressed.

Overall, it was a good “plot developer” but I hope future episodes are more groundbreaking and more gets resolved. There’s really not enough minutes to sort it all out.

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
    Bit of a mixed bag for me with the opener. Stayed up till 2am and I was a little bit disappointed. I was baying for action but a little sprinkling of death and devastation would have been nice.

However, I loved Gendry and Arya (Arya had too many reunion scenes though) and also the Cersei/Euron scenes. The ending was well done too. The best bit for me was the big reveal of the truth and the way it was written as “you're the king and the pretender killed my dad and brother in cold blood.” That was great.

I don’t want Bronn to work for Cersei. The idea of him “turning heel” turns my stomach a bit.

I wish Yara and Theon were dead.

The kid screaming made me spill my beer. Not impressed.

Overall, it was a good “plot developer” but I hope future episodes are more groundbreaking and more gets resolved. There’s really not enough minutes to sort it all out.

Wondering what the point of Yara getting captured in the first place was if it was that easy to for Reek to get her back. Who wrote that story? WWE creative?

Bron ain't going heel. He basically jumped in front of a dragon last year to save Jamie and risked being executed to sneak Tyrion into King's Landing. He'll join their fight and probably pay for it with his life

I actually think one of Bronn or Jaimie might live. Their deaths are so predictable otherwise.

Damn that was a good episode, kind of reminded me of the earlier seasons that were nothing but the writers cranking up the tension with mixed motives left right and centre.

I love that Sam effectively dislikes Danny, I was worried Jon & Danny and their sides were going to get along a little too well and now Jon is getting pressure from Sansa and the north lords as well as his most trusted friend.

Things do not bode well for the good guys though, they are gona be completely sandwiched between the two forces. Honestly though I would prefer the Night King to Cersei at this point. lol

I think my favourite scene was the crypt scene, it was very well done by both men, the anger in Sam's voice and the disbelief mixed with understanding in Jon's was very cool.

Also the final shot of Jamie and Bran, if looks could kill Bran would be the Kingslayerslayer right now.

I am wondering if we all watched the same episode. With almost a 2 year wait, and with only 6 episodes for the season, they wasted the season premier with NOTHING happening. The only thing that happened was the reveal to John that He is the 1 true king. The rest was filler. Nothing else happened. At all. If we had a full 10-13 episode season, then I have absolutely no problem with how last night went, but with only 6 hours of shows and again a 2 year wait, bad opener.

With only 5 episodes left, they really need to step it up. next week it looks like we get some action and some of the war.

I went into it think that it would be a plot-setting episode, not a plot mover. In that sense, it succeeded very well. It didn't need an explosive start for me, it needed to set the stage for the next 5 episodes.

Still, the plot setting was very engrossing. Characters meeting each other after such a long (sometimes not so long) time was brilliant. Sansa and Tyrion, Jon and Bran, Jon and Arya... these were all crucial to see, even if 'nothing much happened'.

The scenes at King's Landing were interesting too. I'm with 'nony, I hope Bronn doesn't 'turn heel'. I don't actually think he will, but it would be true to his nature as a mercenary...

It wasn't perfect though. The Greyjoy storyline is now the new Dorne, i.e. expendable. There were occasions where you could tell they were rushing (Bran literally says we don't have time for chit chat early on) but all in all, an exciting start.

Powder’s reservations about the season premiere were everything I knew this episode was going to be. To me it was a complete waste of an episode, one I knew was going to happen as I actually was going to skip it as I knew nothing storyline wise was going to happen. Besides the crypt scene at the end there was nothing that really did anything storyline wise going forward.

I really enjoyed it. I loved the developments albeit it helps that I’ve always wanted Arya/Gendry to happen. But I also think the slightly morbid humor was well written, Jaime’s character development was excellent and the Political progression was strong. I really enjoy the calm before the storm episodes generally though. I even felt Bran and Theon becoming heroes was really well done.

A definite step up from the previous episode. Lot's of brilliant moments, although i felt the revelation to Dany about Jon's past was a little rushed (probably on purpose, but still).

Next week is gonna be amazing!