Thread: Game of Thrones

Game of Thrones

I understand that the final series finished shooting in the summer and is slated to air early in the New Year.

We're getting ahead of ourselves a little but any speculation about what we'll see can go here.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Woah, I didn't realise it was early next year. That excites me a lot.

Overall quality has dipped off a tad in the most recent seasons however I'd be lying if I said I wasn't massively invested in the story and characters. While their grasp on the narrative hasn't been so great they have undoubtedly improved in their handling of action set pieces and I feel like that will take a centerpiece in the final season.

@Sir_Samuel

The Brain
    I just wish the book series was as close to being finished. But the show has been really good too. I agree with Sam that I didn't love the last season as much as some of the earlier ones but if they're pulling out all the stops for the big finish, you can bet for sure I'll be there, front and center (or at least ready to binge when the finale comes around).

I totally disagree with you guys. While the season before dragged a little with the Aria stuff, last season was completely awesome and kept getting better each episode. As far as what we'll see next season? Lots and lots of deaths.

Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar
    Yeah, I generally have to disagree with the notion that quality has dipped as well. There's obviously been some changes as the pace of storytelling has sped up, but it's come with the cutting out of unnecessary filler and trimmed fat and I dug the streamlined storytelling of last year. I also really dug S6 as well - for me the season hit its lowest point in S5, honestly.

I have been reading that S8 and the invasion of the White Walkers will feature the largest scale battle scene in television history, and that will make the Battle of the Bastards look like playtime. It took them weeks to shoot it. For that alone I'm damn excited! Though it's a little surreal to think we'll know how it all ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel 'Plan View Post
    for me the season hit its lowest point in S5, honestly.
    ^ This. Me and a friend both said after season 5 that we'd only continue watching provided Tyrion stayed alive. Suffice to say, since then season 6 and 7 have stepped up so we no longer say that. But season 5, while still awesome TV, was a definite down turn in quality.

Looking forward to what happens in season 8. Any guesses on who ends up on the iron throne? Who's the dark horse?
    Last edited by Gooner; 1 Week Ago at 12:21 PM.

I really fucking hope it isn't Cersei. I think the Dark Horse is Aria, but I do believe that John will end up on the Iron Throne; or Dani will after killing him.

I just like the idea of the White Walkers winning and the Night King sitting on the throne. It's completely in line with what we've seen from the series in most seasons, the bad guys winning. Plus GOT tends to say "F*** You" at conventional TV tropes...

Doubt it would happen, but it would be a ballsy move.

Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar
    Sometimes the obvious choice is obvious for a reason, and it's because it's the right one. The closer we've gotten to the end of the show the more it's felt like Jon Snow's story, at least to me. He and Dany overlapped last season at long last and I think it's now Jon's narrative to take home. The mystery of his mother was the major mystery behind most of the story, so to me the narrative demands he be the one to sit the Throne.

There are other options of course, but I think Jon makes the most sense. Or Dany. Obvious, sure, but like I said, there are times when that's the best way to go to prevent your audience from feeling cheated. It's vitally important they don't leave us feeling like that, because the ending of something can often come to overshadow everything else and GOT would deserve better.

So yeah, I guess the nerd in me his raising his banner for the White Wolf.

...um, I didn't mean that to sound like such an innuendo. Oops!

It has always been about The Starks and Targaryens. It is called The Song of Ice and Fire after all.

It will be interesting how the pincer their army is in plays out. They have the Army of the Dead coming from the north and the Lannisters in the south ready to pick the scraps afterwards.

@Sir_Samuel