Thread: Stranger Things

Stranger Things

Trailer dropped for new series of Stranger Things:

I think they're talking about new episodes expected next summer, and it sounds like they might run to around five seasons in total.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    I loved the first season but didn't really care for the second. May give the third a chance to see if they can recapture some of the original magic.

I really like the show. Let me repeat, I really like the show.

BUT, the main appeal of the show is the nostalgia of the 1980s . People, like me, who grew up in the 80s watch the show and look at it and say: Oh I had that, I did that, etc. to everything, from the music to the clothes, to the hair, to the house decor. The show is an homage to the 1980s done under the guise of a sci-fi series. It is completely different take than the show the Goldbergs which also pays tribute to the 80s but under a sillyness looking back with humor. ST takes the time period seriously and doesn't point it out for the sake of it.

Season 1 hit a nerve with people that made it cool. A missing child with a sci-fi twist. Season 2 went too far into the Eleven back story without a real payoff, and that basically the same thing happened. Will goes "missing" again? He is the central focus of the show again without really being a member of the cast. There are/were a lot of different directions that the show could have went to make season 2 different, but it was essentially a rehash of season 1. Season 3 better be somewhat to very different, or they will lose viewers.

The Brain
    Good analysis. I was attracted to the 80s nostalgia to a point also but less the scenery and props and more that Spielberg/ET feeling they really locked into at times, with a bit of Stephen King mixed in. Season 2 was definitely too much Eleven for me, the episode where she went off and joined the Z-list X-Men for a while was nearly a breaking point for me. And yeah, quite similar to season 1 at times, lazily so. And the less said about the romantic subplot, the better. And what a waste of Sean Astin's character! I'm getting annoyed just thinking back on it, haha. Yeah, season 3 needs to deliver for sure.