Castaway - with Mizfan (1/2)

Picture the scene: you are shipwrecked or marooned on a small desert island, leaving behind all of the art and entertainment that you know and love. You are cast away with nothing but your memories for company.

Now, imagine that you could prepare for such an event, carrying with you just a small number of things as keepsakes. These would be the only things youíd be able to have for the rest of your life. Under those conditions, and knowing that theyíd be the only things you could have for the rest of your life, what would you nominate to save?

Iím really looking forward to talking with my guest today about this, because heís probably got the most diverse taste in wrestling of anybody I know. Usually when you think about narrowing down for this kind of list there are few things to consider, but heíll need to process between continents, eras, tone, and pretty much anything else you can imagine. Ladies and Gentlemen, itís my pleasure to welcome the Miz Fan himself, mizfan.

Greetings, mizfan fans! And welcome to this updated Robinson Crusoe, now with way less racism and lots more wrestling content. Ready to chuck me overboard yet, Pete?

Not yet my friend, but weíll see how this goes. Weíve talked about this stuff a lot, so you know I have some very strong feelings about wrestling and maybe youíll want to make your choices accordingly?! But just as you know that I have very strong feelings about what makes wrestling, I know that youíve got probably the most diverse taste in wrestling that Iíve ever come across, so I guess before we get to your first match, I have to ask this question - did you have a difficult time coming up with your list of eight matches?

Good god almighty, yes! I couldnít have been more painful to actually be shipwrecked for real. Iím a neurotic note taker and match rater so at least I had somewhere to start, rather than plucking matches out of thin air, but narrowing it down to only eight was like choosing my favorites out of my thousands of children. Ok, maybe thatís a bad example, but it was still really, really hard!

Well, I know Iím not the only person curious to see the direction in which youíve decided to go with this, so letís see which is the first child to survive! What is your first choice to take with you to the island?

Well, as you alluded to, one of the most important things in wrestling to me is variety. There are so many styles, promotions, eras, and performers who have created something wonderful over the years. But even I have my favorite times and places, and I knew at once I needed to include something from one of my all time favorite promotions, Lucha Underground. Thereís no shortage of great choices when you go underground, but thereís one in particular that sticks in my mind to this day, that I canít think back on without getting a little chill. Therefore, my first official selection is:

Pentagon Jr vs. Vampiro, Cero Miedo Match 8/5/15 Lucha Underground Ultima Lucha

Interesting! I knew weíd see some Lucha in here, though I didnít know itíd be so soon - and I must admit, I was expecting to see one of the traditional big boys before we saw Lucha Underground, even though it has been getting rave reviews. So tell us, then, what is is about this match that you like so much?

One of my chief loves in wrestling is the development of stories, characters, and ideas, and this match represents a fantastic culmination of Pentagonís transformative story over the course of the first season of Lucha Underground. But even more than that, I will forever live with the memory of the stunning visuals of the match. I remember so vividly the first time I watched Vampiro shudder his way down those steps in the guise of a Satanic Anti-Pope, overcome by the darker aspects of his spirit that tore him from his commentary desk and from the love and well wishes of his family to once again walk into hell. The energy of it was so palpable, and it had a deep sense of meaning. For Pentagon, it was a must win situation, almost a prophetic decree that he succeed from his mysterious ďmaestroĒ, or master. For Vampiro, who can say if winning even came into his mind in that dark moment? His only goal was to tap back into the abyss and give himself utterly to it, to cause pain and make a young man with designs of darkness pay the toll of blood to achieve himself.

Physically, violently, the match delivers everything you could want. The story is a classic favorite of mine, the old veteran who isnít as good as he once was but can be as good once as he ever was (or, in this case, significantly better), facing off against an up and comer hungry for a name and for blood, in this case literally on both counts. Every bit of the match landed, Vampiroís ragged salvos, Pentagonís doggedness, the near faltering of Vampiroís body and spirit, the escalation of pure violence as Vampiro turned the tables and showed the young man the true meaning of bloodlust. This match escalated things to a level Iím not often comfortable with, utilizing light tubes among other deadly weapons. Another vivid image is Pentagon sitting, mask ripped, blood running down his face, staring in a haze and so clearly wondering if he is in fact in over his head. These small moments of doubt add to the narrative so greatly. The final escalation of fire is not only an incredibly impressive visual, but also an exclamation point on how far both men were willing to sink in order to prove their natures.

Apart from what Iíve already spelled out, this match has a few more points going for it. The first is I every time I watch it, Iím flooded by the same feelings I felt the first time. Nobody had any idea if this match would be any good. Vampiro hardly has a reputation as a good wrestler over the years, and the idea is that age would do him no favors. So to re-experience the thrill of the match blowing away all expectations is always of deep value to me. The second is that this is a rare case where you can point to a match that MADE someone. In some ways, Pentagon is to this day carried by the momentum of this match, this over the top spectacle which cemented him as a force to be reckoned with at the highest levels of wrestling. Perhaps not since Mick Foley can I remember a performance as selfless as Vampiroís in putting Pentagon over, which isnít to take away from Pentagonís own performance. This is a position he earned with blood and guts, quite literally in the former case. The last is the post-match, which I will insist on taking with me to the island. Just when Pentagon believes he has achieved all he came to do, just when his bloodlust seems to have been sated, Vampiro stumbles back into the ring, still smoking from the flames so recently extinguished, and demands through gritted teeth that Pentagon finish the job and snap his arm as Pentagon had done to so many other opponents. Uncomprehending but willing, Pentagon all but rips his arm from his socket to finally break the spirit of the old bastard who dared to defy himÖ only to find out his unseen master was none other than Vampiro himself, and the match was a test to baptize him in violence and blood. What a match, what a moment! Of all the treasured Lucha Underground memories, that is perhaps the greatest and the one I will take with me.

You noted early on that transformation and development is a key concern of yours. Is that something that youíve got happening in all of your selections?

Itís something I love in wrestling, but as a medium itís diverse enough that I donít think every great match has to have it. Just like not every great story has a twist, as long as itís well told it has a chance of making it to the top of my list. Sometimes a match or a style can be great simply as is. And, since you mentioned more traditional lucha libre, Iíll lead neatly into my next boutÖ

El Dandy vs. Angel Azteca, 2 out of 3 Falls, NWA Middleweight Championship 6/1/90 EMLL Super Viernes

Ah yes - this match has been on my Ďto watchí list for quite some time now. I did start watching but it was late, and I didnít have the stamina, as itís quite epic in more ways than one!

I do hope you find the time to check it out! When it comes to the greatest lucha match of all time, many people talk about Atlantis vs. Villano III in 2000, but as excellent as that match is, this is the king of Mexican lucha in my book. This match exemplifies nearly everything I love about lucha libre at itís best. There are tremendous dives, to be sure, including one that drives Dandy clear into the second row of fans, but thatís just a small part of what makes this match so wonderful.

A severely underrated aspect of lucha is the matwork, which can be absolutely stunning at itís best. In this case, the majority of the match is in fact dominated by a struggle on the mat, a lot of gradual and incremental work as both guys look for openings and try to wear the other down. Itís cerebral and masterful in itís technical brilliance, lively enough to keep the crowd engaged but not so showy that it defies believability.

The match also features some stupendous psychology, which is not always a factor in big lucha matches (or in many other styles, to be fair). There is an excellent story running through the match where Azteca works over Dandyís knee and slowly breaks it down, and in the third fall you can really see that work pay off and inform how the match continues. I love that kind of internal consistency, it may seem simple but as you and I know, itís far from a guarantee. You absolutely get the sense in this match that youíre watching two masters work their craft and pit their minds as well as their bodies against each other, and the payoff is tremendous.

I wonít spoil the ending in case people want to watch the match, as I dearly hope they do, and this is a case where itís much better seen than explained. Itís a match that defies the popular conception of lucha while at the same time speaking to itís brilliance as a style. The only thing it lacks to be a complete picture of lucha is more wild, bloody brawling, but it wouldn't have fit well with the story and is by no means the worse for lacking it. I just wanted to mention one more way lucha can be awesome.

So if your only conception of lucha is ďdivesĒ, or your only exposure to El Dandy is the warning not to doubt him, please join me on my island and check this match out!

You make a really solid case for it, and I think Iím going to have to make more of an effort to find the time for this one. Youíve also hit on something that really did appeal to me, which is that mat-based style of Lucha. It was a surprise to me, when I saw it, because Iíd been exposed solely to the high-flying aspects of the style, but there was definitely a pattern in the 1980s to produce Ďwrestlingí, in the truest sense of the word. Is there any more lucha on the list, or are you taking us somewhere else in the world for your next pick?

Iíll be moving away from lucha for the moment, but from one appealing mat-based style we move to another. I know youíll be appreciative of this one, my friend!

Johnny Saint vs. Jim Breaks 3/14/73 World of Sport

Ah yes, youíre starting to speak my language here! Johnny Saint is probably the greatest legend that we produced in this country to achieve most of his fame here (thus distinguishing him from someone like Davey Boy Smith), and so itís definitely very pleasing to see him make the cut.

Anyone who knows me well know that I am a tremendous proponent of the classic British style of wrestling, embodied in the World of Sport TV program which ran from 1965 to 1985.

I obviously think youíre a man of impeccable taste, but I am kind of curious about that too because in my experience our style doesnít always travel well. I know a lot of American fans - especially those that find themselves drawn particularly to lucha - donít tend to go for our wrestling particularly. I think thatís got to do with the huge difference in characterisation, because I can see definite similarities in the mat work between the two styles. But generally, I just wanted to delve a little deeper and ask, not just what is it about this match particularly, but also more generally about the old WoS style, that means youíd want at least one example with you on the island?

Thatís a tricky question, because the way that World of Sport speaks to me is something thatís hard to articulate. Iím tempted to simply say everything and leave it at that! But Iíll try to put it into words. I think part of it is that it is incredibly loyal to itself. What I mean when I say that is that everything is self contained and makes perfect sense in the context of the style. There is genuine struggle, there is brilliant chess-match style wrestling, incredible counters, genius level psychology, but thereís also something very lighthearted about it. Nobody is out to kill each other here, itís a sport, and one that everyone very much seems to enjoy doing. Even the big cheaters of the era, guys like Jim Breaks or Mick McManus, they want to win, they can be poor sports, but they arenít going to take the ring bell to your face or try to cripple you. Even the heels come off very sporting, in their own way!

Thereís an incredible simplicity and dignity to the characters and the presentation that I love. I love Kent Waltonís soft spoken yet earnest call of the action. I love the men in suits and the old women in the crowd getting into the fun. And I just love how everyone who wrestles feels like a master, someone who has worked for years to hone their skills, who isnít a side show or a hack but rather a true craftsman. Thatís as close as I think I can come to explaining why I love not just the in ring style, but truly everything about the World of Sport style.

Thatís really intriguing to me because I think the loss of the sporting ideal in American wrestling, or at least the inconsistency with which it is applied now, has been hugely to its detriment. Grudge matches mean nothing if every match takes place at full-throttle, maximum aggression. Thereís no moral outrage regarding a heelís actions if everyone is expected to do anything, step outside the bounds of decency, in order to win. So youíre definitely appealing to me with that kind of thinking because for me it was always central in making all the other elements of wrestling work, and I think itís why I was generally attracted to people who could portray themselves as Ďsportsmení. But enough about me, and about the general: what has made you choose this specific example?

Yes, getting to the match itself, I think what appeals to me most about is that youíve truly got two opposites here, the very best at their respective games. Modern fans may best know Johnny Saint as the elderly general manager of the prospective UK brand of WWE, but to those who have watched him wrestle even as recently as within the past decade know that he is one of the greatest technical masters to ever grace the squared circle. British Catch style is already known for chaining together holds and submissions, but you may very well never see someone who can do it like Saint. Heís the quintessential sportsman too, every move clever and clean, always willing to give a handshake even if bested. And whatís more, heís fun! He has a number of humorous spots that not only entertain but also make sense strategically. One favorite tactic is to roll up into a tight ball and tempt his opponent to try to pry him out of it or apply a hold, only to smoothly snap them into a compromising position with a move youíd need a slow motion viewing of to hope to understand. I could go on, but I hope Iíve painted the picture of Saint as the highest example of the British babyface of the era.

On the other hand is ďCrybabyĒ Jim Breaks, and if you canít guess from the fan-bestowed nickname, Breaks is the polar opposite of a good sportsman! Every decision that doesnít go his way, every time heís admonished by the referee, every time he is bested in an exchange, you can be sure youíre going to hear about it. In a promotion and style that values respect and good fun, a guy like this will throw a wrench into the works in six different ways. The man is just bad tempered, and of course heís also a brilliant technician as well, so if he gets the chance heíll made an absolute pretzel out of his opponent. Heís got some finger manipulation techniques which will have you wringing your hands in sympathy pains, I promise you!

The match itself is a clash between these two opposite personalities, and itís everything you would hope it to be. The style is chess-master at the highest, a true game of human psychology and testing the limits of both the physical limitations to which the human body can bend and stretch and also the ingenuity of two men dedicated to out-think and out-wrestle the other. Over the course of many rounds and three falls, these guys paint a masterpiece. Again, I donít want to spoil anything as this is a match that deserves to be watched, so Iíll just encourage you to check it out at the earliest opportunity!

So I guess the takeaway from this is, in a sense, that styles make matches, although in this case itís as much a question of personality as of style. It is nice when those two things mirror up, though. Letís see what youíve chosen to round out the first half of your matches.

If you do run this monstrous first half as just one column, youíre nuttier than I am! But either way, my 4th match is from another promotion that is near and dear to my heart, none other than my beloved CHIKARA:

Claudio Castagnoli, Sara Del Rey, Delirious, Ares, Daizee Haze, Pinkie Sanchez, Tim Donst, & Tursas vs. Mike Quackenbush, Larry Sweeney, Eddie Kingston, Hallowicked, Icarus, Jigsaw, STIGMA, & Ultramantis Black, Cibernetico Match 10/23/10 CHIKARA The Dark Ciberknetico

Ah, Chikara! I figured that this crazy little promotion would make an appearance at some point. Perhaps not pure-Lucha but definitely lucha-adjacent, and definitely a pattern emerging in your selections so far. What is it about this match and the gimmick that insists on itís inclusion here?

As is often the case in CHIKARA, itís hard to encapsulate what makes this match so good by speaking only about the match itself. But first things first, I should probably explain what a Cibernetico is!

At its core a Cibernetico match, which is a long standing tradition in the world of lucha libre, functions similarly to a Survivor Series style elimination match, with a few key difference. The most obvious is, of course, the number of people involved. Most Cibernetico matches feature two teams of eight, as is the case here. Another difference is that each team must adhere to a ďbatting orderĒ, meaning you cannot tag just anyone in, but instead go through a pre-selected order, which adds a unique psychological element. Last but not least, there can only be one survivor of a Cibernetico match, so when one entire team is eliminated, the remaining survivors must fight against each other to see who is the final winner of the match. Clear enough, I hope? It may sound complex but in execution itís easy to follow, I promise!

Itís clear enough. Iím not sure about the idea of teammates becoming enemies immediately but I suppose thereís almost always a way to sell something that could make it work. And if you could pull it off there would be some interesting psychology to the switch. Anything else that youíd want to flag up?

The second element to cover for any big CHIKARA match is the history involved. This is a major plot point in one of CHIKARAís most successful stories, the Die Bruderschaft des Kreuzes saga. Iíll try to summarize the story succinctly, though there are so many interconnected threads that might be difficult!

The crux of the story revolves around a powerful artifact called the Eye of Tyr, which via some hypnotic or supernatural ability is able to influence the minds of others (roll with it if you can, Pete). This item was acquired by Ultramantis Black, a devious individual, who used it to ensnare the services of the mentally unstable Delirious, drawing him away from a successful team with Hallowicked in order to strengthen his own group, The Order of the Neo-Solar Temple.

However, use of the Eye of Tyr comes with a warning: once it is used, you must pass it on, or a great tragedy will befall you. Unwilling to be separated from this power, Ultramantis disregarded the warnings, even when mysterious men in white began showing up in person to urge him to change his course.

The situation reached a boiling point at the end of 2009. The most tenured members of CHIKARA were confronted at the end of the season finale show by the mysterious men in white, as Ultramantis looked on from afar. The leader of the invaders revealed himself to be Ares, a fellow Swede and long time associate of CHIKARA cornerstone Claudio Castagnoli. A split second after this revelation, Claudio turned on his locker room friends in a pre-planned show of strength, establishing his allegiance to the new group. In the ensuing brawl more hidden members of the new group emerged, perhaps most significantly Tim Donst revealing he had infiltrated Ultramantisí group and stolen the Eye of Tyr and using it to draw Delirious to their cause.

The show ended with the CHIKARA faithful decimated and the new group being identified as Die Bruderschaft des Kreuzes, an ancient European order with a stake in protecting the Eye and punishing those who clung to its power, without any scruples towards collateral damage. The group quickly won the tag team championships, the top titles in the company at the time, and presented a unified front that CHIKARA was seemingly helpless to assail, bogged down in their own internal struggles while trying to fight off invaders at the same time.

After many attempts to avoid his responsibility, eventually Ultramantis came to accept how his own wrongdoing had brought disaster to the company he helped build. He came up with a plot to unify all the founding members of CHIKARA, no easy task since many had spent as much as 8 years at each otherís throats. One by one he brought them into alignment against the outside threat, even the past traitor to CHIKARA known as STIGMA and lone wolf Eddie Kingston, who had for years prior warned everyone that Claudio would turn on them, and had been villainized and ostracized at the time for speaking out.

The BDK, as they were called, assembled their full force to fight a war with these CHIKARA originals, who coming into the show seemed to be one member short. The final piece fell into place moments before the match began, as the beloved Larry Sweeney returned to the company for the first time in two years to complete the team.

From there, the match is an absolute war, with dozens of story threads I havenít pulled on here interweaving to create a culmination to one of my favorite stories in all of wrestling history. Think of the most interconnected, steeped in history Survivor Series match, and multiply that by 100 and you may have a sense of the weight this match had to those invested in the storyline. The match stretches well over half an hour and yet every time I watch it, I hang on every move and exchange.

And please make no mistake, the action of this match is absolutely wonderful. Iím sure I donít have to persuade anyone of the merits of a fully unleashed Cesaro or the brilliant mind of Sara Del Rey, and with Mike Quackenbush serving as an enormous influence on both of them as well as most of the other members in this match, I think you can get a sense of the ability on display here.

The final minutes of the match will always stick with me. If you want to watch the match fresh (and you should!), avoid this next paragraph, because here be SPOILERS!

The BDK holds a 4 on 3 advantage, and Claudio is able to eliminate Quackenbush to leave only Eddie Kingston and Ultramantis Black alive on the CHIKARA side. Kingston, who will always be wrestlingís equivalent to Wolverine in my eyes, is able to muster a burst of vicious offense, and takes both Sara Del Rey and Daizee Haze out of the equation, leaving Claudio and the enormous Tursas. Despite his best efforts, Tursas is able to finally quash the threat of Mantis, who caused so much trouble to their organization, but the unbelievably tough Kingston will not go down for the final count. Desperate and frustrated, Claudio finally blasts Kingston with a low blow for the DQ, and encourages Tursas to finish the job. However, Kingston will simply not go down, and with a herculean effort Kingston takes the mountainous Tursas down and hands him his first ever pinfall loss in the company.

Just retelling it makes me want to watch it againÖ CHIKARA is one of my greatest loves in wrestling because of their ability to tell stories that at their core rely on being emotionally compelling and mentally engaging. I know not everyone wants to participate in the kind of outlandish elements they bring to the table, but I will always treasure the superior storytelling this company produces.

Iím not going to insult you by sucking up to you and saying itíd make it to my island, because you already know itís not true. But Iíll give you this - I can certainly see how itíd be unique and that be a selling point all by itself. Anyway, this first half has gone on long enough, and thereís one more thing to cover. You also get to choose a wrestling-related book to take to the island.

You know, for all my love of wrestling itself, I havenít found myself terribly engaged by many of the wrestling books Iíve read. I find the product itself so much more interesting than the people behind it most of the time. That said, I canít say I havenít had a good time sitting down and reading the odd wrestling book, so assuming I canít swap my book out for an additional match, I think Iíd have to go with Chris Jerichoís second book, ďUndisputed: How to Become the World Champion in 1,372 Easy StepsĒ. It may be a little heavy on the Fozzy content, but it was engaging enough for me to read in one sitting, which isnít all that common for me, and I have very fond memories of it.

Ha, no, no swaps allowed! Iíve read that one myself, and enjoyed it. Iíd probably have gone for his first book over his second if offered a binary choice but I can see why youíd want either - and for fans who came to this after 1999 I guess itís dealing with stuff that hits closer to home. Anyway, letís give our readers a quick break for now before returning with the second half of your picks.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

I'm gonna be REALLY disappointed if I don't see Melina vs Alicia Fox on here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Runl2i7pV-s

That was as good a first half as I imagined. Amazing selections and descriptions Mizfan, I have added the three I haven't seen to my list (that is now exploding). The Chikara one in particular really intrigues me, I'm a total sucker for shared universe stuff and while I'll probably never get the experience of all the back story I would love to see the match. I heard Mike Quackenbush describe the promotion as the Sci Fi or Fantasy of pro wrestling which really interests me. Is it possible to just jump in from out of anywhere? Unlike Luncha Underground they have a very easy to find streaming service that means I don't have to pirate the content to watch it in Australia (a practice I really try to avoid). Also where do you ever fisn the time to watch all these matches?

@Sir_Samuel

The Brain
    Thanks to Pete for putting this together so beautifully! What a force you are for our community.

Burn! My favorite Tough Enough memory, ever. Haha. Thanks for the read.

Sam! Let me know if you need help finding links to anything, would LOVE to hear your thoughts on everything. Chikara is super fun, it's like Lucha Underground on a shoestring budget but much of it is tremendously good regardless. If you love shared universe stuff, it should be right up your alley. You can basically start anywhere and start moving forward, if you want to devote a lot of time I might suggest starting at the beginning of the 2009 season and moving forward from there but it's hard to go wrong frankly, you're bound to pick it up quickly. I wouldn't go back to before the 2005 season though, there's some good stuff but the production value is pretty low and a lot of guys are still green.

As for time... not having kids helps!! Wrestling is my main hobby/entertainment, so it's just a question of knowing what matches to pull up next to see what we can find.

Firstly, Pete is a fucking machine. I've been in a comment in one of your previous columns that you're on quite the hot streak. Awesome idea to put together.

I love these types of columns as more often than not I check out these matches as I know mizfan has alot of good matches under his viewership belt and checking them out is a pleasure. Mizzie, this is making me excited for January with your annual favourite match columns.

Pete, you couldn't have picked a better guy for this than Miz as his descriptions of what makes matches his favourite are freaking awesome. Although, it can be deceiving at times. He's so good at describing what makes a match great that he could probably get me to watch a turd wrestle a toilet by reading one of his write-ups.

Lucha Libre is definitely an awesome style of wrestling as it is fast-paced action at its best more often than not. I must admit that I'm not too familiar with grappling side of Lucha Libre so I'd be interested to see how that plays out.

Also, I had no idea Cesaro was in CHIKARA!

Great colum here guys. Thanks Pete.

I'm in total agreement with mizfan on the books. I would struggle to pick a book by a wrestler I've read that I would consider great, though pretty much all I've read are ones that I would consider to be good. Probably something to do with the fact that their main form of art is on the canvas, and that doesn't always translate to skill on the written page! They're still generally nice and informative, and give a nice background to some of our favorite wrestlers, so a nice treat nonetheless.

Author of 101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die Samuel 'Plan's Avatar
    I had an absolute blast doing the first of these and I'm delighted to see it back! Mizfan was a great pick and there's absolutely no denying that his passion for pro wrestling bleeds through every line of his typically solid prose here. Great stuff guys, nothing much to add. I don't know if I'll have the time to check these matches out, but the Dandy / Azteca write up had me particularly intrigued. Look forward to part two.

Burn - I'm going to go out on a limb and say you might need to prepare yourself to be disappointed....

Sam - I often wonder where he finds the time, too! I think leaving WWE behind must have been a big part of it, plus a 'dip-in' attitude towards things like the G1 which are so time consuming. That, and obviously passion takes care of the rest.

Mizzie - no sweat mate, thanks for doing it! You're really pulling the load here, I'm just along for the ride.

Don Franc - too kind, mate. As for mizfan, he's another one of those people that when I thought of the concept I immediately knew I wanted him to do it, for all the reasons you outline there.

Skul - I've really enjoyed half a dozen or so, and been diverted by a load more. But I can see where people are coming from - it doesn't necessarily follow that because you like one, you'll like the other. To be honest, the choice of a book literally just comes from copying desert island discs!

'Plan - glad you could check this one out! I must admit I still have to find the time to watch the Dandy match myself, I've been meaning to for about a year now....

Thanks to everyone for reading and replying.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    Don! Isn’t Pete amazing? He’s seriously the best, love the guy. I hope you do get a chance to check out some of the matches, would love to hear your thoughts on any of them. End of year is coming up soon, isn’t it?? Watch this space, I wouldn’t miss that batch! And yes, Cesaro was actually a central part of CHIKARA from 2003 all the way up to when he was signed away by the WWE, including being one of the head trainers at their wrestling school, so his fingerprints are all over the promotion. Great to hear from you!

Skully! Yeah, I struggled with the book, so I’m right there with you. Thanks for stopping by!

Planuel! If you do have time to check out Dandy/Azteca, I’d be very interested to hear your thoughts as always!

Pete! Same goes for you on Dandy/Azteca!