October 2018 Column of the Month - KINGZAK WINS!

Good morning! I hope youre all well. Steve continues to be very busy so Im stepping into the breach once again, much earlier this month. I think we should try and get back to a timetable where the columns from the previous month are still that bit more fresh in the memory, and so Im being more proactive and getting us underway.

It was generally speaking a fairly quiet month in the forum, though Im not sure there was any lack of quality for that. And weve already seen some new and returning faces in the first few days of November so I think were well on the way. Lets keep that going for the rest of the month!

Before we get to the list for October, heres a refresher on the rules.

RULES

The winner of the Columnist of the Month contest will receive the prize of having one column posted on the main page of LordsOfPain.net

1) The winner of Columnist of the Month is determined by which of the eligible columnists receives the largest amount of votes within the allotted voting period.

2). No voting for yourself.

3). You must vote for Columnist of the Month to be eligible to win. Should the person with the most votes not place a vote during the allotted timeframe, said person will be disqualified and the first runner up in terms of number of votes gained will be named the winner. One need not place a vote to be awarded single Column of the Month.

4). A columnist must have posted at least one column during the allotted time period in order to be eligible. Duh.

5). When voting, please name both the columnist and, if applicable, the title of their ongoing series in a bold and easily determined fashion. Makes it easier on us old mod folk to more clearly discern the votes, what with our cataracts and such.

6). Main page writers are ineligible to win either the Columnist or Column awards. The exception to this is if they were not called up until the next month. For instance, a writer who wrote stuff in April and was called up on May 3rd would still be eligible to win the April Columnist contest. The prize would just be a bit pointless, I guess. The reason that main page writers are ineligible to win the single Column award is simply because they could, and often do, post said column simultaneously on the main page. This is a CF award, so only CF writers are considered.

7). Please refrain from editing your vote once it is placed, so as to not fuck up the tally. Some circumstances, such as a noob vote for a main pager, are the only loopholes to this one and will be pointed out and handled by a moderator.

8). If a candidate is caught campaigning for CotM, either publicly or privately via PM or social media, they will be disqualified and quite possibly banned. Do your selling through your writing. Begging is lame.

9). Columns about columns (such as the State of the CF or End of Year CF Awards) are not eligible for COTM consideration and will not be counted in favor of their respective authors in the final tally for the month.

10). As it pertains to collaborations, there are a few variations that require clarification.

a) If it's a "tag team" style "traditional" collaboration (i.e.: ETA or The Power Trip or The Mega Column) then both members of the team must vote in order to claim victory as a team.

b) If a single columnist gathers a group of individuals for a "roundtable" collab, only the organizer of said series must vote in order to claim victory. For instance, if Jimmy McColumnGuyDuderson wants to break down the greatest jobbers of all time and asks two of his pals to help out, only Jimmy needs to vote in order to win the award should he garner enough votes since he is the blatant driving force, as opposed to the give and take equality of a "tag team" collab.

For the voters, if you wish to specifically vote for a "traditional" collab team, name both writers. If you wish to honor a "roundtable" collab, just name the organizer of said collab.

11) You cannot vote for a former main page writer until said writer is at least 4 months removed from their main page stint at the time of the voting period. For instance, if Writer McGee just left his main page spot in January and resumed writing in the CF, he is not eligible to win CotM until the May contest. This rule is included simply because it's kind of stupid to award a main page column to a writer who just gave up a gig in which the point was to post columns on the main page. If they wanted to be on the main page then they probably would've, you know, stayed on the main page. We get that the CF has a certain allure, what with the sense of community and ability to win awards from one's peers and all that, but let us not forget the reason why the CF exists in the first place. It's not to placate egos by handing out peer determined awards, it's to find writers for the Lords of Pain main page. If you've had that spot and chose to leave it, perhaps it's time that someone else got the opportunity to prove why they deserve a shot. This rule is only applicable to the COLUMNIST vote, not the single COLUMN vote.

12). In the event of a tie, regardless the number of people involved, the deadlock be broken by means of a re-vote with the tied parties as the only available candidates. Said re-vote will be three days long. If we still have a tie after that, fuck it, we've got two winners.

Don't forget to cast a vote for the Column of the Month gimmick as well.
    Just name which single column you felt was the best of the month. The actual Column of the Month. Just one. NOT AN ENTIRE SERIES. This will help make the process of voting for Column of the Year when it comes time for the Year End Awards that much easier, as well as give some well deserved props to someone who straight up knocked one out of the park in a given month.

Here is the list of eligible columns for the month credit and thanks to Mizfan for providing the list.

Don Franc
    -The New Event #3 Make Tag Team Wrestling Great Again

Dynamite Billington
    -Fact or Fiction: Forum Edition (et al) [Two Posts]
    -Bull from a Bulldog: Lesnar vs Rousey

Kingzak
    -WWE Evolution Predictions
    -The Royal Review: WWE 2K19
    -King of the RNG 7
    -WWE Super Australia Show Predictions

Mizfan
    -The Life & Times of Bobby Heenan: Extended Sentence (January 91)

Prime Time
    -Prime Time Warp SMW
    -The Pencil Booking Jose Mourinho
    -Prime Time Profiles: Vince Russo
    -The Lords of Pain World Heavyweight Championship 1997-1998 (et al)

SIXTEENPOUNDHAM
    -Smark is the New Mark- Who Will Become Best in the World?

And with that I declare voting for this Column of the Month open!

Voting ends on Monday, November 12th at 11:59 PM (CST) / 9:59 PM (PST) / Whatever o'clock :59 (other weird time zones)

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

LOP's part time glass ceiling DynamiteBillington's Avatar
    Column is Make Tag Team Wrestling great again.

Zak for columnist.

I know it's just the one column but I'm going to vote Don Franc for both.

Wow, what a short. Never In my almost 3 years here has that list been so short.

Columnist - Zak gets a huge mention here ad I feel he's underappreciated in these forums. But I have to go with Pt2.

Column - Prime Time - The Pencil - Booking The Special One

The Brain
    Yeah, hoping that list gets a bit longer this month! Quite unusual to have a list that small.

Respect for everyone who did post, think we had a good selection of stuff. Great to have Don back, 16 Lbs debut, and DB and Zak plugging away with good stuff. Gotta vote for Pete on this one though, he's really a beast and putting out a lot of variety too. I'll put in a vote for The Pencil for individual column.

Im gonna vote for zak just bacause he had to predict that dumpster fire that was evolution.

Column: The LOP Heavyweight Championship
    Columnist: Zak

@Sir_Samuel

Mediocrity at it's finest kingzak13's Avatar
    A close month, but I am gonna say Dynamite for columnist and Don for Column.
    *Ghostly wailing*

Gonna go with young Zakariah for Columnist, as it's almost absurd at this point that his prediction columns aren't on the MP, and Don for single column (Make Tag Wrestling Great Again welcome back!!!)

Big HM to Prime, who is also killing it atm.

Columnist: Prime Time
    Column: Make Tag Team Wrestling Great Again by Don Franc

Columnist: Honourable mention to Prime Time and it's great to have DON back, but my vote goes to KingZak. Now his dog can be an award winning dog, looking forward to seeing what that does to his ego.

Column: Don Franc's Make Tag Team Wrestling Great Again

OK then, that's another one in the book. The votes have been tallied and we have no controversy, and two clear winners. We can add a new name to the list of CotM winners this time around, and it's the first "first-time" winner since the board reset, and since January overall. I'm pleased to announce that the October 2018 Columnist of the Month is Kingzak. This is really a testament to hard work, as Zak has been plugging away for a long time, building his brand and a connection with his audience. Those are the more difficult parts of being a columnist in many ways, and I think this win is testament to the fact that if he continues to work at his craft, the sky is the limit for him - and indeed, for anyone with that kind of work ethic.

There's also a clear winner in the column voting, as Don Franc's "Make Tag Team Wrestling Great Again" garnered more votes than all the other columns combined. I'd call that pretty damn convincing.

And just to make it about me for a second, I kept my tradition as 'Mr Runner-Up' intact by finishing second in both categories.

Here's the final tally for anyone interested in the full breakdown:

COTM
    KingZak – 5
    PrimeTime – 3
    Don Franc – 1
    DynamiteBillington - 1

Column

Make Tag Team Wrestling great again – 6
    The Pencil – Booking Jose Mourinho – 2
    LoP Heavyweight Championship 1997-1998 - 1

LOP's part time glass ceiling DynamiteBillington's Avatar
    How is it possible Zak never won this before?
    Most deserved win ever.

And just to make it about me for a second....think that was my first ever vote! I'll consider that a victory
    Last edited by DynamiteBillington; 1 Week Ago at 10:44 AM.

Zak, you finally did it! Known you around here since your first column, you have indeed grew so much congrats man!

The Brain
    Congratulations Zak! I know you've worked a long time for this! And to Don as well, great to have you back!

I don't think there has been a more deserving winner in a very long time. This has been a long time coming as Zak has put alot of years into this and I'm sure this COTM award will be super sweet to him.

And just to make it about me for a second... Even though I tied with Anonymous for September column of the month I'm taking this as back to back wins lol.

And just to make it about me for another second... Nah just kidding. Congratulations Zak. Like I said you totally deserve this more than anyone and don't go wrestling on your laurels now that you've won a title. Looking forward to your Surivivor Series column!

Congrats Zak, this is a real deserved win for a dude and his dog who have just chipped away at it relentlessly for ages. A testament to hard work.

If you wanted to double post your Survivor Series Preview (assuming you are gona do one) I'd be happy to get it up on the main page as your column for the month or feel free to do something special if you'd prefer.

I know Steve normally handles that but the dude is working 70 hours a week and single handedly protecting us from being flooded by dick pill ads from Russian bot farms so I'm happy to get it up there if need be.

Let me (or him know).

Also congrats to Don, it is great to have you back man. I can already tell this months COTM is gona be a titanic struggle between you and PT.
    Last edited by SirSam; 1 Week Ago at 08:14 PM.

@Sir_Samuel

Congrats Zak! So well earned. To see you improve and evolve as much as you have since I started down here is pretty awesome. Keep up the great work man!

Mediocrity at it's finest kingzak13's Avatar
    I'm at a loss for words, I honestly never expected to win one of these. I'm honestly shocked.

Thank you to everyone, everyone who voted, everyone that has ever fedback, everyone who has ever even read anything I've written, from the bottom of my heart, thank you so much.
    *Ghostly wailing*