NJPW World Tag League

The 2018 World Tag League tournament gets underway in about a week. Early thoughts and discussion of the series here.

And of course, once it's done we're on the road to Wrestle Kingdom.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

The Brain
    This tournament often doesn't get a lot of attention, but here's the line up for anyone who's curious:

Togi Makabe and Toa Henare
    Hiroyoshi Tenzan and Satoshi Kojima
    Yuji Nagata and Manabu Nakanishi
    Ayato Yoshida and Shota Umino
    Juice Robinson and David Finlay
    Michael Elgin and Jeff Cobb
    Tomohiro Ishii and Toru Yano
    Beretta and Chuckie T.
    Hangman Page and Yujiro Takahashi
    Tama Tonga and Tanga Loa
    Minoru Suzuki and Takashi Iizuka
    Lance Archer and Davey Boy Smith Jr.
    Zack Sabre Jr. and Taichi
    Sanada and Evil

Slightly surprised Cobb and Elgin are teaming, didn't think they'd done too much together since the Elgin rape coverup story came out. Glad the Best Friends got booked again, got a big soft spot for the team. Interesting that PAge and Yujiro are together, despite Page not being in the Bullet Club anymore. Aside from the Best Friends, I'll probably be rooting for LIJ or Sabre/Taichi in this one. Not sure who has a real chance but LIJ seems like a safe possibility?

I see what you mean about this not getting a lot of attention!

The Brain
    Not that there isn't some quality stuff, but it's sort of a take-it-easy tour to bridge between G1 and Wrestle Kingdom.

It's probably for the best that this isn't getting a whole lot of attention. I've been watching the Tag League and Callis is completely insufferable. Like, possibly the worst he's ever been. I don't know if it's because it's smaller tour shows only on NJPW World or what, but he's so much more interested in being "clever and inside" and popping himself and Kevin Kelley than adding any insight to what's actually happening on the shows that I'm about ready to go with Japanese commentary that I don't understand.

You'll definitely be preaching to the choir with Mizzie on that one.

I'm more mixed in my opinion of the Kelly/Callis team. When they're good they're really good, great even, but when they're bad they're utter dogshit, the worst of the worst. And to be honest it sort of depends what mood don turns up in because he sets the course and Kelly follows. I've probably started to prefer Kelly with the people he does most of the year with not just because they are there more often and you get used to it, but because there is a more consistent quality to it - even if you don't hit the heights it's often worth it not to plumb the depths.

The guy's stuck in worker mode. He only seems interested in getting himself over in everything that he does.

Don't even get me started on the Omega documentary.

The Brain
    I never minded Kelly, he's a neutral presence to me. But yeah, generally I find Callis to be absolutely awful, and I can't wrap my head around it when people praise his work.

I think that people got behind Callis because he was shitting himself over Omega at the same time fans were. His calls of an Omega match are pretty good because that's all he seems into. But take him out of a Kenny Omega match, or put him on a card that's not a major pay per view, and he doesn't give a shit.

I almost wish they'd gone with Poffo. At least he'd pretend like he gives a shit about everything happening.

I do share both of your concerns/objections, but also can't deny - there's been one or two of his calls (and they probably are Omega moments thinking back) where I've properly reacted to it and it's felt great. Few and far between, but what isn't nowadays.

What I'd say is that I feel like the stuff I don't like is because I'm not in the audience that he's playing to - I get the feeling that even when it's stuff I think is shit, he knows exactly what he's doing and who he's trying to work for, and I've got a theory he's probably not far wrong about who is actually watching NJPW English. I may be wrong of course, but wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't the case.