The New Event #9 - What If Roman Reigns Went After Seth Rollins?

Welcome to another edition of The New Event. Long introductions aren't really my thing, so let's get right to...

THE OPENER

Survivor Series Thoughts

So Survivor Series has come and gone and overall I'd say it was a good show. There were some hiccups along the way but for me personally it was entertaining. I'm a bit surprised by RAW's whitewash over Smackdown but it was bound to happen eventually. RAW completely owned Smackdown and the negative implications of this could be Stephanie McMahon annoyingly gloating for twenty minutes and Baron Corbin being made permanent General Manager of RAW. Sheesh. Anyway, here are my quick thoughts on the show:

- Before I speak about the matches, I have to make mention of how dead the crowd was for half of the night. During the first half of the show the crowd were almost non-existent and only picked up after Murphy/Ali. Very disappointing crowd, however, this could attribute to the structure of the show.

- The 5-on-5 Traditional Womens Elimination Match was underwhelming to say the least. It just felt clunky. Perhaps kicking the show off with this match was not a good idea. It only picked up towards the end when Asuka and Sasha went head to head. A couple things of note were how Nia Jax unsurprisingly had MAJOR heel heat due to here involvement in Becky's injury and also how over Asuka still is. It could be possible that Asuka is the only face that can go up against Becky Lynch without getting boo'd. Also, Asuka and Sasha should definitely go one-on-one. I know they've wrestled on RAW before but I would love to see them wrestle at a major event in singles action.

- I was hoping Seth Rollins and Shinsuke Nakamura would tear the house down, but it was not to be. This match, to me, was a test for Shinsuke. If he couldn't put on a clinic with Seth he wouldn't be able to put on a clinic with anyone. I was a big fan of Nakamura when he debuted but my fandom has waned since then. I've enjoyed his work up until he lost to AJ at Wrestlemania and then he just kind of fizzled out. I'm not sure what went wrong but he was quite popular at one point in time. He's matches aren't as great as they once were either, which is why this match was a test to see if he could have a great match with a wrestler of Rollins' caliber. It wasn't meant to be as this match never seemed to get out of second gear. However, this is not a bad match by any stretch of the imagination and I'd still consider it good.

- Not much to say about AOP vs The Bar. It felt like a run of the mill TV bout. These teams could have done much better if given more time and perhaps a willingness to want to put on a great match. Not even Maverick pissing his pants could make this match memorable.

- Business began to pick up once Buddy Murphy and Mustafa Ali faced off. What a great match these two had with a number of memorable spots. It was quite obvious that the fans didn't know much about these guys based off their lack of participation. However, once the fans saw how fantastic this match was they came around. It's amazing how a great wrestling match can suck the crowd in, isn't it? In my opinion, this is easily the match of the night.

- The men's 5-on-5 Traditional Elimination Match was good, in my view. It was slightly shorter that what we've become accustomed to in recent times but I still enjoyed it. This match, however, was all about RAW. The Smackdown team felt like an afterthought. The RAW team members all had beef with each other and that created the drama with alot of in-fighting throughout the match. Drew Mcyntire was put in the spotlight in the first half of this match which just proves that WWE sees big things in his future. Strowman got four elimination under his belt to reinforce his monster status. Oh, and Corbin gave Strowman a cheap shot after the match. You see, all about RAW. The only memorable thing on the Smackdown end was Shane's jumps and Samoa Joe getting eliminated very quickly to MAJOR heat from the fans. A "bullshit" chant even ensued, which cannot really be argued against. Overall, this was a very enjoyable match.

- Great, great match between Rousey and Flair. I enjoyed every second of this affair which was all about strikes and submissions. Rousey proves to be a quick study and Flair has helped her to her best match to date. I loved this match, but the ending was a bit confusing. Not that the ending wasn't awesome, as it felt it fitting. It's just that from what happened on RAW you'd think Becky would be getting the 'Mania match against Ronda but after this match a case can now be made for Charlotte. We just have to hold out and see who gets to face Rousey at Wrestlemania, but it's definitely Flair or Lynch, that's for sure. One more thing of note is the reaction from the crowd afterward, who didn't seem to bothered that Rousey got the shit kicked out of her. It looks like the side effects of facing off with Becky Lynch is rearing its ugly head.

- Through the first half of Lesnar/Bryan I was telling myself how I'm officially done with Brock and his annoying matches. I just can't take watching this type of match from him anymore. And those first two German Suplexes legitimately made me cringe. Daniel sold it so well that I really thought he was injured. I kept getting flashbacks from the Cena/Lesnar encounter from Summerslam 2014 and how it was rumoured that Daniel was supposed to be in that match instead of Cena. I couldn't help thinking that up to that point, this is what the Summerslam match would have looked like if Daniel faced off against Brock. Nevertheless, my perception of the match changed completely after the low blow. I just couldn't stop myself from giving a wide grin. After the knee I thought this match was over. Well, it wasn't. However, from that point Bryan made Lesnar look extremely vulnerable. It was as if the roles were reversed and Bryan was now making Lesnar his bitch. Some good false finishes in this match and I honestly thought Lesnar was going to tap to the Yes Lock. This match had me out of my seat, that's for sure. Despite the slow start to this match it was great!

All in all I thought this show started out slow - still a few good moments in that timeframe - but things really started picking up once Murphy/Ali graced our scenes. From my viewpoint, this show was good and nothing less than worth a watch.

THE HEADLINER

We all know the story of how Roman Reigns was jeered excessively. The fans could just not get behind the man. Recent events have proven that it was never personal, but due to his seemingly never-ending monster push fans have decried anything Reigns related. You cannot blame them either. WWE has become known for pushing a wrestler down our throats ad nauseam and Roman happened to be the guy that WWE forced down our throats above all others.

I have always argued in Roman's favor, even though I was never the guy's biggest fan. My argument was always that he did not choose to be in the position that he was in. He was forced into that position based off his look and Vince's definition of what characterizes star power. Some of you might say that he should have spoken up and advised Vince to slow down his push for the betterment of the fans. Okay, so firstly, you do not argue with your boss. If he says something, you do it. Secondly, what normal human being wouldn't jump at the opportunity to be at the top of their profession?

Besides, Roman Reigns wasn't as bad as people made him out to be. I feel as though a lot of the negativity toward him has been unwarranted. The negativity should have been aimed at the WWE. They were the ones who put Reigns in the spotlight. Sure, they did aim their negativity toward WWE by constantly drowning out arenas with jeers every time Roman hit the stage, but that could have been a hindrance to the man's career. Luckily, Roman was able to adapt and use that negative energy to fuel his pursuits even more.

If one forgets how hard Vince was for Roman, you'd come to realize that he was actually great. He had the look, which in WWE is important, but in the wrestling industry itself can go a long way. He was a good wrestler, despite what some would lead you to believe. He wasn't the best on the mic but he could at least cut a promo and show intensity. He certainly had the ability to create that big-fight feel. Add to that his silent charisma and what you got was a pretty well-rounded main event player.

Therefore, I can understand why people showed apathy toward how WWE booked Roman Reigns, but I don't agree with how overwhelmingly negative everyone made Roman out to be.

The reason why I'm bringing this worn-out topic up is because it ties directly into an important course of action that if followed, could have allowed Roman Reigns to potentially impact WWE the way they were hoping he would. We all know that in Vince's mind Roman was going to be the next breakout star. But perhaps Vince went about this all wrong. Perhaps Vince should have let Roman Reigns follow the path of vengeance instead of glory.

Which is why I always ask myself...

What if Roman Reigns Went After Seth Rollins?

Would things be different? That is an extremely difficult question to answer, but one that needs to be delved a little deeper into. It's quite possible that WWE dropped the ball on Roman's push at that point. WWE decided to shoot him straight to the top but they were not looking at the bigger picture. They could have still let him work his way to the top but by letting him take a different route. It's all about presentation and WWE did not present him in the most positive light.

You see, fans loved The Shield - still do - and when Rollins turned his back on his brothers everyone in the audience felt it. Everyone around the world felt it. Dean and Roman literally felt it. They were at their most popular as a unit at that moment and there was arguably no better time to split them up. But instead of Roman going after Seth, it was almost like he forgot about the betrayal and moved on like nothing happened. What. The. Fuck. After being practically brothers for the longest time you can't tell me that Seth turning his back on The Shield had no effect on Reigns whatsoever.

I can understand that it is a little bit difficult to run a revenge angle with three people. It's surely much easier to run said angle from a broken tag team than a broken stable. This is especially hard for the WWE's creative team who has a creative deficiency. Nevertheless, it made no sense whatsoever to have Roman just move on like nothing happened.

The glaring omission in the question that I have posted is Dean Ambrose. As we are all well aware by now, Rollins and Ambrose put on a masterclass of a feud that included some great matches. Their feud is admittedly my favorite feud of all time and if Roman had to be involved the feud would not be what it had become. Dean and Seth are now this generations greatest rivals - in my opinion - and that really dampens any argument that Roman should have gone after Seth.

However, that does not excuse the fact that common sense and booking logic would dictate Roman also wanting a piece of Seth for his dastardly deed. As much as I loved the Dean/Seth feud I can only imagine the possibilities of all three members of The Shield feuding at once. The more I think about it the more I believe that WWE may have missed an opportunity at an intricately woven plotline that could have taken them from Seth's betrayal all the way to the next Wrestlemania. I'd reckon that their triple threat match would have been perfect after a lengthy feud all stemming to Rollins' betrayal.

I don't want to dwell too much on fantasy booking, but picture this... Both Roman and Dean go after Seth to get revenge for him betraying them and aligning with The Authority. Seth could have used his goons to go after his former brothers as a way to avoid them. You would think that this would warrant a triple threat match as their first fight but there are ways to work around that. Of course, tensions would arise as Roman and Dean would both want to be the one that finishes Seth off. That then creates a match between Roman and Dean. Have Seth and his cohorts put one of his former stablemates on the shelf for some one-on-one feuding. This prevents them from having to get tangled up in a triple threat match. At the Royal Rumble these men would be in the final four but all three would get eliminated due to their disdain for Seth. All of this eventually leading to a triple threat match at Wrestlemania. I swear I could write an amazing story with some nice plot points but this isn't a fantasy booking column, so I digress.

My point is that WWE could have created magic by having all three men face off against each other. But instead, Roman got chosen to go straight to the main event. WWE should have learnt from there past experience that this was not the correct approach to getting Roman over the way they wanted him to be. Instead of being adored by the fans based off data they got toward the end of Roman's run with The Shield, he was rejected. This could have easily been avoided if he were to go after Seth. I'm not saying that Dean shouldn't have gone after Seth, but they could have put Dean on the shelf while Roman feuded with Seth. It would have greatly benefited Reigns at the time, but WWE were too naive to realize it.

Roman was the badass of The Shield. In the world of WWE there is almost nothing more badass than going for revenge. Add to that the fact that payback is the best story wrestling can provide and Roman would be well on his way to capitalize on the popularity he already generated in The Shield. The fans were cheering Roman wildly in the last few months of The Shield and him wanting to get his hands on the traitor would have taken that popularity to the next level.

It would have showed the fans that even though Roman was the well-known chosen one, he would be allowed to organically rise to the top. That potential feud with Seth could have provided that launching pad to the top. But instead, WWE decided to blow their load prematurely, as they normally do.That feud could have also allowed Roman to have some great matches early on in his solo career against an established wrestler.

But as we now know, it was not meant to be. Look, we can "what if" all day long, but at the end of the day WWE made a costly error in not letting Roman go after Seth. Roman would have even been able to claim his generational rival akin to Rock/Austin. But instead that honor went to Dean Ambrose. And hey, there is nothing wrong with that because I would honestly have it no other way. In hindsight it would have been a crying shame if Roman went after Seth and in the process rob us of the masterclass that was Ambrose and Rollins' feud.

If I was a conspiracy theorist I would even say that WWE wanted Dean to go after Seth for one reason and one reason only: to lose the feud. They had plans for Roman to become their next mega-star while they handpicked Seth as their top heel (you don't join The Authority otherwise). There was no way they would let Seth lose the feud which could attribute to why Roman never went after him. They couldn't put both Rollins and Reigns over if one of them had to lose the war. And that is where "Mr. Expendable" Dean Ambrose came in. In fact, now that the thought has crossed my mind I would honestly say that it is a viable theory. Dean was used as the fall guy in this one. It just goes to show how WWE really feels about the guy.

This subject can be very contradictory because you cannot do both here. You can only have one or the other. It's either Ambrose goes after Rollins and we get a classic feud or Reigns goes after Rollins and gets over. As much as I appreciated Dean vs. Seth, it has to be said that the fact Roman never went after Seth had a ripple effect on his entire career. You could even say that he was doomed to fail from the start of his solo run because of it.

In essence - based off of WWE's wont - having Roman Reigns vying for revenge against Seth Rollins would have been for the greater good.

And that does it for this edition of The New Event. No Bonus Match today as I'm starting work in little over an hour (10PM!). What did you think about Survivor Series? Do you think Roman would have been better off in the long run if he went after Seth? Please feel free to leave a comment in the black box below. Any and all feedback is always much appreciated. But until next time, folks...

This is Don Franc signing out.

The Brain
    It's been heartwarming to hear how Buddy and Ali completely turned this crowd around. From my limited WWE watching these have had the best feud of the whole damn year, and the fact that they got the crowd to come to life when so many "bigger" stars failed should be hugely counted in their favor.

Really glad also to hear that Bryan/Brock turned out well. Cynically I wonder if Brock decided to give a shit because he knows Bryan is no threat to his spot, but still a match that has been discussed for years actually delivered, and that's a great thing. I've seen the picture of Lesnar with Bryan's boot-print literally on his face, my god. I also think it's interesting that WWE tricked fans into thinking this was yet another awful Brock squash before turning around and actually making a real match of it. I wonder whose decision that was? Seems like it was a good one at least.

For your main topic, I think you've hit on something very accurate here. Roman apparent indifference to the Shield breaking up was a major booking mistake and really cost him in the eyes of the fans. Roman suffered through terrible booking decision after terrible decision, and I agree caught a lot of crap for stuff that wasn't really his fault. How many people could have pulled off those cheesy "suffering succotash" lines? The Rock himself would have struggled. Roman had a lot to offer but WWE struggled badly with how to present him.

A lot of great points made here Don, still really enjoying your work lately!

Survivor Series-

I agree with you almost top to bottom. the 5v5 Men's Match was pretty clearly all about RAW from day 1, the women's match was fine(but WHY DID NIA WIN! Don't use heat from THAT in that way, come on). Shinsuke vs Seth was good, totally solid, but nothing special. Buddy vs Ali was great. Ronda vs Charlotte was amazing(better than the Cruiserweights I think, because the ending was so insane).

But the main event(which should NOT have been Bryan vs Brock; why even call it Survivor Series anymore?) was exactly like every other Brock title match. He suplexes the crap out of them. Usually they put up a little fight(low blow, throw into the turnbuckle, whatever), and then...Brock kicks out of some finishers, hits an F5, game over. And yeah, Brock will sell whatever injury he sustained as he walks up the ramp, I'll totally give him that; AJ wasn't diminished by losing to him last year because Brock IS a great wrestler and can put guys over. But it's the same formula as before. As basically every time he doesn't drop the belt: suplex x10, F5, screwy mid-match turnaround, then another suplex, F5, go drink some beer.

Daniel looked worse this year than AJ did last year, because AJ actually put up a fight. Daniel got his ass kicked forever(which you can argue was the strategy, waiting for an opening, but that only happened because Brock was bored and pulled him up from an F5 pin) and then a low blow and TWO running knees later, he still couldn't pin Brock. Or kick out of the F5.

So to me, the match was boring and DB looked weak.

Regarding the Roman going after Seth theory, it's interesting. WWE THOUGHT it would make Roman a bigger deal to go after HHH, and you can see why, when The Authority was the anchor of RAW at that point, and HHH was full heel after screwing DB to help Orton, and then breaking up The Shield. So it made sense in their minds. Except...Dean vs Seth was always gonna be magic(from their FCW days) and steal the show. 100% agree that, looking back, Roman basically ignoring his brothers fighting to go after HHH separated him too much from The Shield and he lost that heat.

Plus he was not very good in the ring back then. He got gassed easily, his moveset was more limited, and we all knew how he was Vince's favorite son. Combine those things and there wasn't really anything appealing about a Roman vs HHH/Authority feud.

I think people overrate Roman now, they act like he's a top10 performer in the company when he's not. If you put him up in the "Powerhouse" category, sure, he's one of the best there. But he's not on the level of the LEGIT performers, the Seths/AJs/DBs of the world, and the list of awesome midcarders that can steal the show without 25 minutes, 15 overbooked false finishes, and weapons. Put Roman in the middle of the show with 13 minutes to work like MOST guys, and I think people would see him for what he is; a solid, good wrestler and hoss, but nothing special.

LOP's part time glass ceiling DynamiteBillington's Avatar
    Not even Maverick pissing his pants could make this match memorable.
    You'll remember it though, because this will become his gimmick. Vince's sense of humour will see to that.

Main Event:
    Good point, although it could be argued that Reigns didn't go for Rollins because he went to the cause of the problem - HHH. Reigns battling the Authority at the same time Dean was going for revenge on Rollins (who had joined the Authority) meant the two feuds were essentially the same thing.

They just never acknowledged it as such. Had they acknowledged it & incorporated the fantasy booking you discussed into BOTH storylines, it could have been awesome.

@Mizzie - I've hardly watches 205 Live this year but I could get the feeling that this match was important in their world. And what a great match it was. That the fans actually started giving a shit is a testament to that. I was also pleasantly surprised at Bryan/Brock but there were definitely some cringe-worthy moments in the beginning. Bryan sold it fantastically too.

Roman just had to roll with what was given to him, which created a sense of disdain amongst the fans, which is totally WWE's fault. But yet you have to wonder if Roman took the road not taken, would fans have a different perception of him?

I'm happy that you're still enjoying these, Mizzie. Thanks for stopping by!

@Burn - Survivor Series was pretty solid, wasn't it? The RAW whitewash was going to happen sooner or later and I wouldn't be surprised if SD does the same next year.

I have to disagree with you on Brock vs Bryan. The first few minutes I though we were going to have another run-of-the-mill Brock match, but after the low blow things really picked up. I honestly thought Brock was going to tap and that's not the only time I thought Brock was going to lose. This match (and his match against AJ last year) shows that Brock can still put on good matches if he just gave more of a fuck.

WwE should have known better than to hot-shot Roman to the top. They have too much experience to be this naive. And you're right, he wasn't good enough in the ring at the time to be in the main event but ironically WWE thought that because he was over in The Shield he should be in the main event but then the fans just ended up turning on him. Besides, all eyes were on Dean/Seth at that time.

I have to disagree again regarding Roman being overrated. I think he's rated just fine. He's definitely not the best on the roster bit I certainly think he does well enough for himself.

Thanks for the read and feed!

@Dyno - Oh God I hope Maverick does do a weekly piss spot. Vince is already running the gimmick on RAW.

Good point you raise here. It would have made sense for it to be Roman and Dean vs The Authority. I think that could have served the same purpose as Roman going after Seth. I think WWE really missed the boat on this one.

That is for the read and feed!

I was about to hit you with the ol' "hey I don't think we've crossed paths yet" when it suddenly dawned on my dumbass that you're D.O.N. haha. The tweak to your username threw me off! Nevertheless, it's great to see you back in the CF giving it hell. This place is slower than it's ever been so consistency from guys like yourself is key. Gonna try and do my part as well moving forward.

As for Survivor Series, I haven't watched the event yet but will sometime within the next couple of days (been catching up on the last two months). There's very few instances in which Bryan would ever beat Brock but I just wanted the match to be competitive. Judging by the length and reaction to D-Bry's offensive output, that certainly seems like the case. I'll always maintain that it should've happened at WrestleMania 31 - with Bryan winning the Rumble and giving Lesnar a run for his money before Rollins cashed in - but this wasn't a bad consolation prize. Aside from Charlotte/Rousey and Ali/Murphy, I'll likely fast forward through the rest of it. Psyched to watch TakeOver: WarGames II though. Great take on Roman. I feel like a lot of fans were constantly pushing for the company to turn Reigns because of how unlikeable he comes across on TV. It just seems like a natural role and lord knows WWE's short on believable heels. I also think people crave it because deep down they know Vince won't ever fully turn Roman into a villain and we all want what we can't have.

@Skitz - Yeah, don't worry bro, you are not the first to make that mistake lol. I try my best to be consistent but as we all know sometimes it's just way too damn hard.

I don't think anybody should be disappointed by the Brock/Bryan match, especially considering Lesnar's matches these past few years. There are some definitive gems on SS though and all in all I'd say the show is more than watchable at worst.

When Roman returns he's going to be further from turning than he's ever been. It's a pity Vince is so stubborn though. If he wasn't so set in his ways he could have had a mega-heel on his hands with Reigns but I guess it was not meant to be.

Thanks for the read and feed!