Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    I am most definitely not the first person to ever say these guys were great; I may be the first one here to say it on this forum (though I know mizfan was high on these guys before I ever knew who they were) but like I said, they were a highly regarded tag team for years when they wrestled for Pro Wrestling Guerilla. Then they wound up stuck in Canada back in 2013, likely because of the issue that kept MYC contestant Nicole Matthews from being able to work with the states and that kept "Speedball" Mike Bailey (a really talented guy who was breaking out on the US indies back in 2015-16) from wrestling in the states and they kind of got forgotten (which isn't all that surprising considering that the Canadian wrestling scene isn't exactly as noteworthy as say Mexico, Japan and the UK these days). There is absolutely no doubt that helped contribute to them coming in cold, along with AEW having to change the gimmick and AEW treating them like a bigger deal than they needed to be. Of course anyone seeing these guys right now would think they're nowhere close to great, even though I think a look into their past would show they are, depending (of course) on what you're looking for out of wrestling.

And I could ask the same thing you just asked; why does one assume I'm the one who is wrong and not judging them fairly? Why is Coach, who I'm willing to guess (and if I'm wrong Coach, I apologize) has seen very little of Uno and Stu, a better authority on how good they are compared to someone like myself who has seen a lot more of them? It goes both ways and in the end it really means there's no answer either way because Coach is judging from a completely different scorecard than I am. I have no doubt I have certainly overrated certain things in my day (hell I probably overrated that AAA show I went to Sunday, which makes sense given I was there and one almost always enjoys a show more live than they would on TV) and I'm not claiming these guys are the best tag team in the world, but I have seen enough of them to know they are a great team. Or perhaps the better wording is capable of being a great team; they certainly aren't now with the gimmick not working. But I have also seen a lot more of them than a lot of others (who have probably only seen this gimmick, which again, hasn't been a hit) and they fit what I want out of wrestling a lot more than say Coach, who is also going to be turned off to them more because their look (particularly Uno, who has always been a bigger guy) isn't what he's looking for in a wrestler.

Because we've seen Stu and Uno on AEW, and they haven't been great. It's no different when a movie reviewer says something is great, and then I hate it, I wonder what that reviewer was thinking, and if they've overrated other movies that I didn't enjoy in the past. I'm not saying you're wrong, and you know that's not my style. But I wonder if you're more forgiving since they are indy guys. Out of all the tag teams in AEW (so the tourny + Angelico/Evans and Boricuas), they are the only ones who haven't delivered a top quality highly rated match recently. All the others have been a highlight in one way or another, (in Impact for LAX, for example). But Super Smash Bros are not in that category, and have been the most disappointing in the ring in AEW so far.

So that is why I ask if you might have rose colored glasses on.

Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    But I have also seen a lot more of them than a lot of others (who have probably only seen this gimmick, which again, hasn't been a hit) and they fit what I want out of wrestling a lot more than say Coach, who is also going to be turned off to them more because their look (particularly Uno, who has always been a bigger guy) isn't what he's looking for in a wrestler.
    I just...I don't know. I don't buy in to them. When they first debuted, I kind of wanted to like them because they were completely different than anything you could do on an "indy" budget. It was the first "production" thing that AWE had done.

But then the bell rang.

I think Stu is talented in the ring. I think it's unfair of me to have said he could be a "midcard guy", maybe there's more to him than that. But I don't sense any killer instinct in him whatsoever. He feels like the physical embodiment of the dreaded Jim Cornette "cosplay wrestlers". By that I mean that I've been to comic con a few times and see some great costumes, but I know none of them are really monsters or aliens or super heroes. When he puts one of the Best Friends down and shouts "I want him to die" into the camera, I don't buy it. He wants to be the tough, somewhat spooky guy, but he looks and carries himself like someone who's never been in a fight and he's got that dumb (supposed to be menacing?) smile on his face.

It's like if Kenny Omega did that same thing. I wouldn't believe it for a second. Omega carries himself like a "performance artist", not a fighter (even if he has done shoot fighting). If Pentagon did that, if he put down Trent and shouted "Fuck this motherfucker, I want him to die", I'd buy it completely. But I feel like they're trying to convince me that they're tough and spooky rather than actually being tough and spooky.

My problem with Uno isn't that he's fat, it's that it seems like he's trying to be athletic when he's not because everyone else is athletic. He's lacking in muscle mass, sure, but it's not like he's on a physically large roster. I do feel like he was done a disservice by making his first match in AEW opposite Luchasaurus who's doing Uno's part of the team better than Uno. The name's stupid, too. I understand that it has legacy, but it's a dumb name. If they were going to bring these two in with a new name, maybe they should have repackaged them so we didn't have one guy who sounds like a cartoon and one guy with the most milquetoast name possible.

I wanted to like these guys. The concept was awesome. But I don't think that they're as good as some claim (and maybe not being able to work regularly with the top indy talent for five years caused them to regress) and I think that the whole package needs work. Maybe it needs to be re-tooled? Maybe they just need to drop the characters entirely and move them into another role? Maybe they'll catch on. But I just don't believe that they will.

EDIT: Let me make it clear that I don't hate these two guys and think that they need to quit the business. I think that AEW dropped the ball on them big time, and maybe they need to take an elimination in the second round of the tournament (or put over the eventual winners in the finals) and go away for a while. Figure out what's not working and re-introduce them, whether it's with different characters, as part of a stable or something else.

Best friends vs. The Bucks is my ideal final.

The Brain
    Regarding SBB/Dark Order, I was first exposed to them as babyfaces and found them likeable and funny. Uno was good with comedy stuff and Stu was a top notch athlete. It seemed to work well. I haven't been exposed to them as heels except in AEW, and while I've enjoyed both the gimmick and their matches on a personal level, I can see why it might not connect to new fans. I wonder if there's a way to turn them and tap into what originally got them over way back when. It feels early for a turn but maybe down the line, if they can't figure out a way to make the heel gimmick work.

I'm a big Best Friends fan as well so I wouldn't mind them going to the finals, but I feel like the story of the Best Friends hasn't been told that well yet in AEW. Just presenting them as two goofy guys who hug is only going to get so far. What drew me to the Best Friends as a team is they are two guys who were never supposed to make it. Trent was a bottom of the barrel WWE castoff and Chuck was locked in as a pure comedy guy and came as far as announcing his retirement at one point before being talked into reconsidering. They were a couple of losers who were supposed to fail and fade away, but they managed to take it all with good humor and self deprecation, and quietly became super compelling underdogs to root for. Their stuff with Sabre and Scurll was to die for.

I will say that AEW is falling into this habit of not establishing acts with new fans, they do it for some with their youtube stuff but its not seen on the PPVS and something they should do on TV. Especially that first episode. People are gonna check out that first ep that have never seen the best friends unless they remember Beretta the NXT jobber.

Show not tell. You don't have much footage but shoot shorter, two minute vignettes highlighting why people should care about all these acts, especally those not in major feud where you would already be doing that.

I rag on WWE stories alot for bland characters but when they go all in on like The Fiend, he's all over every show
    Last edited by LK3185; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:34 AM.

Jungle Express for the win, for me - every time they've been in the ring I've been impressed with them, and I can definitely get behind a kind of 'Cinderella run' that takes them to the finals and over (I guess) Dark Order.

The Brain
    Definitely hope when they have TV they transfer the kind of stuff they've been doing on the "Road To" shows on to the TV product, the vignettes and promos that help you get to know the characters. Less excited about the Being The Elite goofiness coming over but I guess we'll see if they do and how they handle it!

I'm still not a fan of what I've seen, but anyone who is ignoring their potential is just not being fair. Weekly TV is a different beast, and it's entirely possible that they find the right combination of everything to really knock it out of the park. They have a few really strong points going for them, so I see no reason to just quit on them. I'll likely prefer WWE and NXT (and MLW/ROH), but Cody vs Dustin is still one of my Match of the Year candidates, and their Road To Shows have glimpsed potential for good story telling. Even if I watch it later on in the week, I'll be pulling for them.

Can I just... I'm gonna be the one who says it. Dynamite is a stupid name for the TV show. Raw is dumb as fuck, too, and we've just kind of accepted it. Nitro and Thunder were the shits. Superstars of Wrestling and Saturday Night's Main Event were pretty good names.

Honestly, Impact is the only decent name for a weekly wrestling TV show these days. Fusion is like, okay, but not spectacular. SmackDown is better than Raw, but still kind of dumb.

Can't we just have a good name for a weekly wrestling show?

It's nothing that matters. It isn't going to have any affect on whether or not people watch whatsoever or the quality of the show and it's like the least important thing in the world. But I'm making my stand here.

EDIT:

Fuck, that's gold. Gold, Jerry. Gold!

The Brain
    LOL, that's pretty funny.

What would you have called it, Coach?

Sydney Steele vs. The World, staring Cult Icon as himself.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    LOL, that's pretty funny.

What would you have called it, Coach?
    Coca Cola's GrappleGate: The Search for Honor (Or: How I Learned Stop Worrying and Do High Spots) Presented By Twix

That's good but a better one would be Dr. Penlove: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love DA FLIPS!

Scene One - Luchadores do flips.

Pen: Gentlemen! You can't flip in here, THIS IS THE WRESTLING ROOM!

Speaking of names for Wrestling shows, I just heard a theory to why WCW Monday Nitro was called Nitro. The theory states that it was not in part to the TNT tie in, it was because of the similarity to Monday Night RAW if spoken fast enough or said with a British accent.

Monday Night RAW....Monday Nit-ro (or Night-rah).

Don't know how true this is, but it does not seem that far fetched.

The Brain
    Definitely heard that theory before. Feels close enough that it must have occurred to someone during the naming process!

Sure I heard that a long time ago. Though in this version whoever has come up with it has clearly never heard a British person speak.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Sorry for the double post, but the AEW/ITV deal in the UK doesn't look as promising as first thought. It's still on a free channel, but at nearly midnight, five days after the US broadcast, and it's currently described as 'highlights' of Dynamite.

Not promising, but the good thing is if people tune in, they can change that. If ITV sees high ratings, they'll likely improve the time slot and give it the full show.

I believe I saw that NXT had some similar deal as well, where they air only an hour of the show (I think it was in Canada but it may have been the UK). Either way it's a chance to prove themselves. If they do well, they'll get a better slot. If they don't, they're out.

I mean yeah, but it's worse than people were expecting here. The delay seems to be more of a problem than the highlights based on initial reactions.

What AEW is attempting to accomplish is ridiculous, and near impossible, so credit has to go to them for as much as they have done.

BUT, when you spend almost a full year hyping something, and attempting to increase excitement at every step for a new company... there's bound to be some mistakes. And unfortunately, the mistakes AEW makes will seem bigger than they are because they haven't earned goodwill to make up for them.

This ITV thing isn't going to ruin them or really bite them in the ass much. But, there will be repercussions for hyping solid UK TV broadcasts for the last few months, and then only having the highlight show 5 days later at midnight. This isn't their fault either, or isn't necessarily their fault. This could have been all ITV messing it up. But Cody was on record pumping up the UK TV access before US TV was finalized. They let rumors get started very early, and then they snowballed into unreasonable expectations. So, people will be let down. It's inevitable that not everything will be perfect, and they got carried away with promotion due to the hype.

Well, the hype isn't what it once was. I don't think AEW necessarily did anything wrong, but they likely didn't time everything very well. So the luster is off the shiny new car now. WWE countered a lot of their moves in magnificent fashion and stole a lot of their thunder. Unfortunately for WWE, while they still have goodwill due to their overall history, they've lost a lot of it with the hardcore fans. This means AEW still is the best option to capitalize on that, and will likely putting in a lot of effort into the first couple of months. And the better the shows are, likely the better the ratings, and that could push for a better UK TV deal.

As for the NXT for only 1hr in Canada comparison, that's part of a 4 hour Friday night block with SD in the middle. I have no idea why Main Event is even part of it. I wouldn't be shocked if they eventually do 2 hours of NXT and SD, without any Main Event. But the highlight show is part of a huge WWE 4 hour block, and is in prime time. It's really not the same.

I think the fear is people will just get it online instead, and that'll end up hurting the actual numbers, maybe to the point of hindering their chances. Just speculation at this point of course, but not unfounded.

There was a good reason for thinking they could have been the top promotion in our market quite quickly, given the accessibility of AEW vs WWE in the coming years, but this is a blow to any such ambition. At least, unless there's a change in the current terms.

Edit: already been some moves to reassure people /mitigate that first reaction.

Yeah it seems like they recognized the issues and moved quickly. FITE TV will be offering AEW Plus on their services to fans in the UK, Ireland, Australia, Japan, Italy, Spain, Chile, Brazil and the Middle East to the tune of $4.99 American a month (I'm not up to date for what that translates to with the exchange rate). There's also a $2.99 weekly option. FITE and AEW are basically saying fans will get to watch AEW Dynamite through this and will get some additional content as well; what that is I have no idea, though I'd hope it would be worthwhile given fans will be paying for this.

It's a decent save though given the disappointment earlier. Fans outside of the US, Canada (they're still working on that deal, which I believe is with TSN) and the UK will now be able to watch the show and fans in the UK will now have the option to watch it live via this AEW Plus or on those weird times ITV is airing it. I don't think it can make up for the high expectations entirely but this is a good step forward, especially considering they could've done nothing, which would've been potentially alienating to certain fans.

The Brain
    Hell, I'd be happy to pay $5 a month for an online option. My least favorite thing about AEW so far is that I'm going to have to figure out how to hook my cable back up before Tuesday (I know i was forced to take it in a bundle, I just never bothered to do anything with it!).

Yeah I don't think it's the end of the world. I do think they probably should've tempered expectations from the start, which would've led to less of the reaction yesterday, but I don't think it's a bad thing when you can give fans a cheap way to watch the show (with additional content as well) and they still have the option to watch it on those other weird time slots if they choose. It's certainly not what I saw a lot of people were making it out to be; there were some saying that AEW would go out of business because of this. OUT OF BUSINESS! It was as if AEW had shot their gerbal, kicked their father out of the house and then married their mother, all while wearing a Cody mask.

Overreactions from online fans?!?! What a shocker!?!

What's funny is it's mostly US fans commenting on this being bad. I know I wouldn't pay $4.99/m to watch AEW, but for fans who don't have another option? I think it's great. Plus, the future is streaming, so by establishing their streaming content early as a small weekly access, and then building on it with additional content (perhaps deals on the so far expensive PPVs), it'll be a great place to start for AEW.

Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    It's certainly not what I saw a lot of people were making it out to be; there were some saying that AEW would go out of business because of this. OUT OF BUSINESS!.
    Lol. I hate to admit it, but we're just not going to be that important in whether or not they make it. The UK will be a useful revenue stream, at best - not make or break.

Honestly the more I hear about this the more it becomes clear that only major negative is that they weren't able to go live and have to wait a few days to air it. And even if they had been able to do so, they still would've been going live in the UK in the early hours of the morning; I may be off base (and someone please correct me if I am) but I can't imagine AEW was going to do huge numbers airing from 1-3 a.m. or 2-4 a.m. or 3-5 a.m. or whenever. To me the bigger issue is that the show will now be airing a few days later (Sunday's at 8 a.m., a one hour Monday show at around midnight); if they had been able to get it on ITV4 a day later at a decent time that honestly would've worked better than either of the scenarios. Waiting till Sunday is just too long of a time. But beyond that they're still on the channel they wanted with a time slot that's probably not that big a difference (again, if I am off base, correct me on this) and most importantly they actually did end up getting on the main ITV channel, which is far bigger than ITV4, for the highlight show. Throw in that they did throw the bone with the AEW Plus thing on FITE to people who do want to see it live and this was really nowhere as bad as I saw some making it out to be, even if it isn't what AEW wanted.

I think the sort of reaction is the result of two things; first, as Pen pointed out, a bunch of us Yank fans thinking we know better and second, this whole toxic fan war that has come up since AEW formed. If you go on Twitter, Reddit and probably a million other places you will find people, on both sides of the fence, who seem to just pretty much wait for news like this so they can dunk on either company, dunk on the fans and declare "WWE/AEW will be dead within so and so years", "the Khans will pull funding from AEW", "The E is scared"...it's an endless sea stuff like that. It truly is amazing to me how many wrestling fans there are out there that want either promotion (and sometimes even both) to fail. It just goes to show how fucking stupid some of these people are. So much good has already come from AEW being around that if you were to take it away, or god forbid take WWE out of nowhere, it would be awful for the business. The more places to work, the better off the business is.

Jeez, I get sick for a day and AEW has gone completely out of business for charging $5 per month to watch their show where they don't have clearances yet? Dastardly.

Seriously, though. Anyone who's that pissed about it was going to pirate it anyway.

Truth be told, I probably will because I'm not going to make sure that I'm sitting at home on a Wednesday night to watch, and as of now it's not available in Canada. I pirate Always Sunny, too. It's not a reflection of the quality, it's a reflection of the fact that A) I'm busy and B) I refuse to pay Shaw a penny more than they're already blasting me for a decent internet connection. And I've got enough streaming services I'm paying for.

That's all that's going to happen to AEW. Some people who don't have access to watch on TV either won't want to or won't be willing to pay the $5 so they'll pirate it. Same thing happens to WWE. Same thing happens to every single other show on television.

The negative reaction stems from the hype that ended up under delivering. You're not wrong that in the end it's nowhere near as bad as the negative comments have indicated, but those comments likely wouldn't have even come to fruition without the EVPs talking a big game about how AEW's TV deal in the UK will be better than WWE. And to be fair to AEW, those EVPs are new to this, so I think reasonable people would forgive their excitement with their announcements, but hopefully they learn to only hype up deals that can deliver.

And any fan of either company that just completely ridicules the other promotion and their fans are children. Much like the signs in the crowd during the Monday Night Wars, like "Vince Fears Eric" or whatever, it's worth a chuckle, but lame overall. Anyone who takes sides that seriously needs to reevaluate their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    That's all that's going to happen to AEW. Some people who don't have access to watch on TV either won't want to or won't be willing to pay the $5 so they'll pirate it. Same thing happens to WWE. Same thing happens to every single other show on television.
    I always respected the approach that the creators of South Park took to pirated material, and that any views are good for business. Sure, AEW will prefer getting the $5, just like the bands I still DL music from would prefer I buy their album. But, the better the album, the more likely I am to buy a shirt, or a concert ticket. And I still buy the vinyl records for the bands I love. So AEW might lose $5 a month to pirating, but if the PPVs continue to rate well, then they'll sell more in theend. Or when/if they tour the UK, tickets will fly.
    Last edited by PEN15v2; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:32 PM.

You are right, it's the length of the delay rather than it being live that's the issue. There's only around 70,000 viewers here for the live RAW, for example, and fewer than 50,000 for the live Smackdown. On a more accessible channel and at better times, I've seen analyses that suggest Impact has done better ratings here in 2019 - and that they were routinely doing that in their 2011/12 heyday.

I think what it amounts to is this - if they put it on at a competitive time on ITV4, and then it was the full show, well advertised and all the rest of it, then there's evidence enough that they could have been the number one promotion here straight out of the gate, and possibly outdrawn the American expectations in what is a much smaller TV market. WoS did it, after all, and although they were on the main ITV channel there was a lot less hype and anticipation there. And they wouldn't have to match WoS at their peak in order to do that.

When that kind of statement, for the lack of a better word is on people's minds - and they were allowed to think those things by a few different people, it seems - any knock is going to come as a let down.

That said, if it's freely accessible then I'd still expect it to be our top-rated wrestling show, possibly even from the beginning. Especially with WWE moving to BTSport. The only thing will be how much the other options hurt the TV numbers, which I suppose won't overly concern ITV if we're talking a late night slot on a channel that mostly shows repeats.

Quote Originally Posted by PEN15v2 View Post
    The negative reaction stems from the hype that ended up under delivering. You're not wrong that in the end it's nowhere near as bad as the negative comments have indicated, but those comments likely wouldn't have even come to fruition without the EVPs talking a big game about how AEW's TV deal in the UK will be better than WWE.

As far as I can tell I believe it still is. The Monday night one hour program on ITV alone should be available in far more homes than RAW or Smackdown will be when they move to BT Sport (they may even be now; I don't know how Sky Sports works) and I'm pretty sure the Sunday morning showing of the full show is too. And that's before we get into it being available live via FITE. The only difference is that RAW and Smackdown will be aired live...and as Prime pointed out their numbers aren't exactly that strong there either, and that's with them on Sky Sports (they don't move to BT Sport till January). Again, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but it honestly still looks like they'll wind up with the better deal. And that's if this all stays the way it is; Tony Khan himself is saying he's trying to get ITV4 to move the show to Thursday.

None of this is to say that you're wrong about them tempering expectations. I have no doubt that AEW thought this was in the bag, but as we've all seen countless times in wrestling how a sure thing becomes something completely different, sometimes within a matter of minutes. I believe it was Cody who was the one trumpeting this and that's kind of surprising to me because of the EVP's he's the one who seems the most grounded (the Bucks are fine but I can see why they rub people the wrong way, and Kenny is, quite frankly, WAY too emotional for the spot given some of the things I've seen him say). Hopefully they all take this as a learning experience to more gently hype things. And as we've been discussing, I don't think it's all that bad. They're still on ITV4, they're going to be on ITV (which they weren't going to be before; this was all going to be ITV4), they've got the FITE thing and they're working on moving it up a few days. That's all good, and the fact that they got the FITE thing and are trying to fix the time slot problem in the face of criticism shows they are at least listening and attempting to rectify things; it be far more concerning if they just stood pat. In the long run this should just be a blip.

As for the Canadian thing, TSN is apparently the network and they are apparently in deep negotiations as we speak. We'll see if it gets done before the first show.

I don't think we have to worry about it getting done by next week. TSN probably isn't airing AEW live if it happens. TSN1 airs the Thursday night NFL game in that slot, and it looks like TSN2 and TSN3 are airing Thursday night NHL games.

I can't fathom TSN giving up their Thursday NHL games or Thursday Night Football.

EDIT: I actually would expect that if they get a TSN deal, it would be either Saturday afternoons or late night. They're pretty packed between the NHL games they carry, NFL and CFL. But there's this one slot early Saturday afternoon that I notice always carries random shit.

AEW might have better luck with Fight Network when it comes to a prime time or live slot.

Good thing they wouldn't have to because AEW's show is Wednesday night. They're only going to air it on Thursday in the UK (if they can get the slot moved) because they think they can get a better time slot than live in the early hours of the morning or days later. A deal in Canada would allow them to air live, provided TSN doesn't have any hockey going on on Wednesday night.

The better deal in the UK is an interesting one to think about, but if you simplify it down to basic access, then yes, they'd still have the better deal.

Basically, almost everyone in the country gets both ITV and ITV4 - so I guess the issue is about promotion, because people aren't going to happen on ITV4 by chance. Just not that kind of channel. So you have to get the word out if you want the casual audience to tune in.

Millions of people have Sky sports but it can't compare for reach, because it is an additional pay service. Most subscribers have it first and foremost for Premier League games. But I suppose the counter that might argue it's a better deal is they were paying big money to WWE, and it's a channel where people expect to find wrestling, which I know still carries some weight.

AEW dynamite will air live on TSN in Canada

That's a decent get. TSN is not what it once was, thanks for hockey moving to Sportnet, but it's still the main sports network for Canada. I honestly don't know if viewership is higher overall, but I feel like it's more recognized.

The Brain
    Really pleased they worked it out for Canada, even at the 11th hour.