Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Potentially big update regarding the AEW related convention Starrcast happening the day before. Two big wrestlers were announced for the convention today. The first was the Undertaker; yes that Undertaker! He will be at Starrcast. The second was this guy.

Get your plane tickets ready Ollie!

The Brain
    Taker is certainly a surprising name to be added!

Ms Fleir's titled her pursuit for Comrad as a flair for a fatty
    Last edited by Benjamin Button; 02-16-2019 at 04:01 PM.

Huh?

The Brain
    Yeah, that's a bit of an odd one.

The thing that catches my interest at the moment is Cody's mystery opponent for Double or Nothing. I can think of a bunch of guys that would be good but nobody comes to mind as a slam dunk. Anybody got a good guess about that one?

I suppose CM Punk would be pretty cool. Could even play into the first event where Punk said he would entertain an offer, but Cody never sent a proper one.

I can't think of anyone that's on the roster that doesn't have a match yet. i think its an outsider

Edit: I guess it could be punk but then you're banking on him doing PPV numbers for you or securing a TV deal....
    Last edited by LK3185; 02-18-2019 at 02:45 PM.

The Brain
    Oh for sure it'll be someone surprising, otherwise I don't think they'd make much mystery about it.

Punk would be BIG, I could see it as a possibility but I'm definitely not holding my breath.

I keep forgetting DON is all the way out in May, so conceivably it could be Scurll. He's been playing it up a little like he was abandoned by the rest of the Elite so I could see some mileage with that.

Or if they're waiting see if they can sign Ambrose or someone, it could be that.

Those feel like the most impactful possibilities, but there's also a wealth of on the cusp fresh talent they could try to introduce in a big way.

I still want it to be some version of Scurll-but-not-Scurll. Whether that means Scurll comes out as the mystery opponent (but Cody won't wrestle him so someone either with Scurll or not with him attacks/wrestles Cody) or Scurll comes out trying to talk to Cody but Cody doesn't really have time for it because he has the match. Either way, I'd want someone else to attack Cody and wrestle him, but with the long build to TV of Scurll feeling rejected and maybe the Elite not taking it so seriously, having him go in as full blown enemy of those folks by the last show before TV or TV.

Edit: Everything these guys touch turn to gold. They befriend each other, they make moves to AEW together. Sell out All In? How 'bout in 30? Double or Nothing? In 4. Want your friend Kenny Omega to be part? Of course he turns down everything to be part. Everything according to plan, but the Villain has the power, by withholding himself, of keeping this picture from ever being picture perfect. In BTE, they left before him, he was the last to know, and now he's walking around in an All My Friend Are Dead shirt. It doesn't have to happen in the segment with Cody, but I really hope he robs the Elite of their picture perfect moment but not falling into frame.

Edit-edit: I also just want to watch him beat Cody down with an umbrella.
    Last edited by Mystic; 02-18-2019 at 08:40 PM.

The Brain
    Don't have time to watch at the moment, any big news?

The Over the Budget battle royal is returning, the winner gets some unknown prize and it'll feature Sonny Kiss, Brandon Cutler (officially signed) and Kip Sabian.

The Brain
    You'd think that budget would have gone way up with the Khan's being onboard.

Nice to hear Cutler was signed, so weird how he fell off the face of the earth a few years back and suddenly showed up again, but I've always liked the guy. I enjoy Sabian too, is he also signed?

Weirdly, my first thought looking at that video image is that Cody's starting to look a lot like his Dad...

Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    Potentially big update regarding the AEW related convention Starrcast happening the day before. Two big wrestlers were announced for the convention today. The first was the Undertaker; yes that Undertaker! He will be at Starrcast. The second was this guy.

Get your plane tickets ready Ollie!
    Man, you know I'd be doing this.

LA Park vs Kenny Omega for 2019 MOTY.
    Last edited by Oliver; 02-21-2019 at 09:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    Weirdly, my first thought looking at that video image is that Cody's starting to look a lot like his Dad...
    Or...like Jean the frog from Breath of Fire II?

aaaa_bof2.jpg

I don't know much on this so sorry if it's a dumb question but what's going to be the best way to follow AEW?

Through social media and youtube so far. The next show will likely be on PPV. There's no TV deal announced yet.

Quote Originally Posted by For the love of Terry Funk View Post
    I don't know much on this so sorry if it's a dumb question but what's going to be the best way to follow AEW?
    They release a Youtube video weekly (maybe on Wednesdays?) called "Road to Double or Nothing."

They release "Being the Elite" videos weekly (maybe on Mondays?)

Here is the most recent edition of Road to Double or Nothing, episode 6:

The Brain
    Haven't watched that yet but I'm excited! I never really watched Being the Elite but the Road To videos have been really well done so far, I'm getting very invested in DON.

Surprised nobody has been talking Good Ol' JR and what he said last week... AEW has a TV deal. According to him... it's a big television station and "when we find out... we'll be shocked". (That last part was totally paraphrased.) Seems to me the way he was going on about it is that it's going to be TNT. That would be pretty freaking awesome 'cause, you know... history.

TNT or TBS would be sweet..I'm thinking Syfy :O

Jericho said the same when he signed. Everyone involved with AEW has said the same. Whether that's a network that we are excited about or not might depend individually, per how high our hopes are. My ideal would be TNT or TBS. Can't lie: I'd mark hard for Jim Ross calling AEW at 6:05 on TBS, but that's just cause I'm old and liked my childhood.

Would SyFy or any NBC/Universal station be on the list because of WWE's relationship?

TNT or TBS would be great. An outside the box would be like Discovery channel. It'd be a weird fit but it's in a ton of homes and they have a lot of redneck/blue collar/working man programming.

The Networks I continue to hear are TNT, TBS or the Paramount Network (formerly Spike TV). They make sense as well given JR said the network was one we all recognize (TNT and TBS are highly recognizable and Paramount is as well, despite the name change) and Meltzer recently reported that both networks AEW negotiated with having streaming services (Viacom, Paramount's parent company, recently bought the Pluto streaming service while Turner Sports has B/R Live). So it's one of those two. My feeling remains that its one of the Turner stations given (and I can't believe more people have talked about this) AEW brass was reported to have met with a TV Network back in February at the same time they were all in Atlanta (where Turner is located) for an indie show. That's a key detail I've seen no one pick up on and its the biggest hint to where they're going.

I also believe this deal has been done (or 95% done) for at least a couple months and AEW has been holding off on announcing it for two reasons. First, Wrestlemania season. Obviously an AEW TV deal is big news at any time but there's a good chance it would've gotten lost in the news cycle while WWE was gearing up for their biggest show (Cody has also made it clear that Mania weekend is WWE's, so it's likely they also wanted to keep the news separate from that). Now with Mania season in the past and Double or Nothing is the next big wrestling show it leaves the door open for AEW news to be front and center, and I'm willing to bet we'll be getting a flood of news from them in the coming weeks, including the TV deal. The second reason; TV upfronts. I mentioned this months ago but networks like to announce upcoming shows they have in the fall during the end of April/beginning of May. Both Paramount and TNT will be making announcements regarding new shows during that time for example. Thus it makes sense that both AEW and the Network (whichever one it is) would want to wait till that to unveil the deal; that it also falls after Mania season and during the Road to Double or Nothing is just an added bonus.

Either way, I'm pretty sure this deal is done, I'm pretty sure it's TNT (with an outside chance of Paramount) and I believe we'll know about it before Double or Nothing airs. At the latest it'll be announced at the show, but I'd look towards the end of this month/the beginning of May for the official announcement. I'd also expect more talent announcements too. AEW already announced Hikaru Shida (an amazing joshi wrestler) this morning, Jon Moxley appears to be finally free and I know of at least one other signing that I personally am really stoked about.

I greatly appreciate the sober report, Cult. I will be the first to call out AEW if I think their booking/approach is off, but the wrestling climate really makes me fear that, for old school fans like me, we just can't have nice things in this era. I'm not talking about anyone here, first off, but I am talking a general sense I get from a lot of fans in a lot of spaces. If a company wants to build suspense, it's not even thought that "suspense" could be the reason. It comes off to too many people that the company is just lying and hiding and nothing is true until you report it but after you report it you have no build or suspense.

If AEW could do one thing (and I'm talking to my kindred old-school spirit in Cody), I hope they will do the difficult work of teaching patience to fans for the sake of suspense in storytelling. Otherwise, we should just cancel all wrestling on all networks and streams, and just have someone report what would have happened that week on a news thread.

Love the slow build, and I get as impatient as anyone. But I also know what qualities *must* be present in good storytelling.

The Brain
    TV deals are great but I'm most hyped about signing Hikaru Shida! Shane may remember this absolute gem we covered on AAAE:

I do remember her from that Convince Me! segment.

Though, even if I didn't, just from the announcement image, I thought, "This person right here is legit."

AEW is building up that women's division.

Some more news. AEW is indeed going to TNT and it will be announced May 15th. Everyone is being careful and not saying its fully done yet (The Wrap and Meltzer have both indicated negotiations are in advanced stages) but it looks like it would take a massive change for this deal to fall apart. If for some reason it were to, there is another potential offer on the table (no one has said who but, like I said before, Paramount would be the best guess) and Showtime has apparently reached out to them at one point, so there's definitely options if the TNT deal flames out. That said, I'd be stunned if that were the case.

Meanwhile, AEW announced that Glacier will be in the Over Budget Battle Royal earlier today and that Darby Allin has officially signed. Allin is a terrific high flyer with a great presentation; that's a great signing for them.

The Brain
    Allin is actually one of their best signings so far, bar none. I see real star potential in Allin.

Also Brian Pillman Jr in the battle royal!

He is green now, but if he comes into his own, I damn sure want to be the company that benefits from it.

God love this world, if I've lived long enough to see wrestling on TNT again and it includes the Rhodes family, the Pillman family, and potentially guys like Jon Moxley who always had a TNT/WCW vibe (to me) more than a WWF vibe (save the Attitude Era where WWE was not like itself in order to survive.)

I would not have prophesied this day, put money on it, believe in it, or thought it possible.

The Brain
    I'm looking forward to getting to know Pillman Jr better! I've been burned by a lot of 2nd generation stars but hope springs eternal, and when you get a really good one, it can be amazing.

We had one official talent announcement on Being the Elite today and several alluded incoming talents. The official announcement is that CIMA is signed with AEW full time, so he will not just be a part time wrestler/liaison with OWE for AEW. The alluded to signings were East Coast tag team Private Party (Isiah Kassidy and Marq Quen), So Cal based wrestler Pretty Peter Avalon (who will be the Librarian character they've been teasing) and Canadian tag team The Super Smash Brothers (Evil Uno and Stu Grayson). I'm not entirely familiar with Private Party or Avalon (mizfan may know more about the latter) but the Smash Brothers are an incredible tag team who were once of the best acts in PWG and have still been killing it in Canada (they had a great match with the Bucks for ROH last year when ROH went to Toronto). They are easily one of my favorite signings for AEW, with the exception of an announcement that hasn't been announced yet.

The Brain
    Definitely digging the idea of signing the Smash Bros! They also had a great run in CHIKARA, though that's near on 10 years ago now. I do know a fair bit about Peter Avalon and I think he's a good choice for a supporting player. Not sure he's a star in his own right but he'll do what he needs to to get a match or character over, solid midcard pickup. Don't know much about Kassidy or Quen but I'm interested to check them out. AEW has got a real nice roster going on!

I've seen Avalon a couple times, and I echo mizfan. I'll stay openminded, but he struck me as a third tier version of the antagonistic heel. Not even a knock, just a first impression. I could definitely see him doing the librarian. Might already prefer the dude Cody was talking to at the start of BTE.

Anyways, best part of BTE was seeing MJF face-to-face with Darby Allin. First time he did a backstage segment on these videos where the person with him (outside the Elite) felt like they mattered. Could be a damn good feud, potentially.

Per my sources, AEW is signing a big money TV deal, in which they will not get any money and will pay for TV. The show will be half a year, all year, and will run for 1 hour, 2 hours. The show will be on TN, but not TNT, as Turner isn't willing to put all 3 letters in yet. Also, Turner is very big on AEW. Hope that clears things up.

The Brain
    It's the reports that seem to be rooting for AEW to fail or be in trouble that really irritate me. Not a mindset I can easily understand.

First off, these reports over the past few days have been over blown. The guy who "broke" this "AEW is doing a time buy deal with TNT" story, Wrap reporter Tony Maglio, was heavily misquoted; he clarified today that his sources are telling him that a huge rights fee deal for AEW is highly unlikely, but that they'll still be getting some sort of money from this. He's also said that it's more likely that what reporters like Dave Meltzer, Voices of Wrestling and Sean Ross Sapp are hearing (that there is no time buy deal on the table) is likely right, and that even if it is a time buy it's something where AEW will still make money. There is legit no cause for alarm on that, and the only reason there was a reaction is because a small but very vocal group of people on Twitter, led by this WWE super fan Fray and an anti-Melzter guy called Meltzer Says What? (another user named rovert is a lesser extent involved in this too), tried to push it as such. They did this partially because they want AEW to fail and partially because of some weird ass war they have with Meltzer, who they feel has a ton to do with AEW when in fact all he's doing is reporting news he's clearly getting fed from them. People were even trying to turn this recent story into Meltzer vs. Maglio, which both rightfully sniffed out.

In reality, aside from those wackos and their cult, I don't think there's actually that many people who want this to fail (and even this rovert character has celebrated some of AEW's signings). I do think there are some people annoyed with all the buzz they have (which I don't get either; why be annoyed that people are excited about something) but the indication I get is most people want to see this succeed and are rooting for it to succeed. Unfortunately there will always be a set of fans on either side of the coin who want to see the other side burn. They should be paid no mind. The wrestling world is better with both WWE and AEW on TV drawing good ratings, making good money and giving workers a chance to get paid. Anyone who doesn't think that isn't actually a wrestling fan; they're a fan of a brand.

The Brain
    Definitely good to hear, Cult. The way some of these weird-ass narratives get started...

Cody vs. Dustin Rhodes is official. As Dustin says it's one last ride...or is it?!