Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast
    The Brain
    Hard to say... if people are stuck home bored and they're still able to produce content, it could even help them? But I could easily see it being a negative as well, if people are too worried about their own problems to spend time on wrestling.

I guess it could. Question will be what kind of content they can carry on producing. A lot more challenging than WWE, who can always retreat into the PC.

If AEW have to basically shut up shop, then I imagine how they can improvise will be the answer.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

AEW has access to their own facilities. The size won't be the same, but with their budget, they'll manage just fine if they want to put in that effort.

The big issue is getting the wrestlers to wherever they film. If that isn't possible, and there's not enough of a roster to put on a show, then AEW might fill in time with back catalog matches, which is nowhere near as deep as WWE's obviously.

Fair enough, I don't actually know what they have and haven't got access to - I assumed that whatever they did have wouldn't be somewhere you could run TV out of but that was only an assumption.

I think they'd be better off running more in the way of taped promos than trying to dip into their back catalogue, because as you say, it's not particularly long. Based on what I'm hearing there's still a lot of people in that company that could do with more of an introduction.

If they can't get the talent together, then get the talent to film themselves for a promo? Not a bad idea.

Yeah - I mean, let's be honest with modern tech most people can film something with higher video quality than a lot of what ECW were putting out in their early days just on your phone. So it's not out of the realm of possibility.

Even if it's a taped Skype/Zoom interview with JR or Tony. Lots of options, and AEW has done a good job innovating their TV show with these sorts of ideas.

Yeah, I could see a lot of potential in that. JR always delivered in those 'sit down' style interviews in the past and there's no reason to think they couldn't make something watchable out of it. Plus there's so much goodwill in their audience that people are likely to be very understanding given the exceptional circumstances and just run with it. Even WWE are getting the benefit of the doubt right now so you know AEW will get the same.

British ratings update. One thing is clear - a lot of people watched the re-run of Goldfinger! As for the Dynamite viewership it's rebounded a little but is still well under 100k, which is leading me to think that the improvement in early February may well have been weather related. Still mostly live viewers which given it's crappy timeslot is not necessarily a good thing and maybe explains where the viewers have gone - those who didn't watch immediately but caught up later just didn't bother.

October
    1: <191,100
    2: 96,000
    3: 143,000
    4: 170,689 – ranked 12th (revised down from 10th)

November
    5: 77,000
    6: 140,000
    7: < 81,000 (post-Full Gear)
    8: 86,000
    9: 120,000
    Estimated Avg.: 101,000

December
    10: 83,000
    11: 106,000
    12: 98,000
    Avg.: 96,000

January
    13: 147,000
    14: <85,000
    15: 133,000
    16: 106,000
    Estimated Avg.: 118,000

February
    17: 111,000
    18: 97,000
    19: 143,000
    20: 68,000
    Average: 105,000

March
    21: 89,000 (post-Revolution)

Look's like they'll film episodes live without an audience at Daily's place, which has been the best venue IMO since they debuted. I love the shows from there.

The Brain
    Agreed, if they're gonna do it that's a great place for it. Hope they push War Games back though, seems wrong to re-debut that match type without a hot crowd to back it up.

Pretty big increase on the rating this week of about 170k (up to something in the 930k region), though it appears as if the vast majority of that audience is a straight-switchover from NXT, who apparently didn't have their usual stuff to work with.

Still kinda hovering in the 1.5 million range for the overall total.

The Brain
    I thought it was a pretty compelling show this week. Still surreal, but putting wrestlers in the crowd and having them watch the show in character was a great idea. MJF gets the MVP award for his betting pool, but Sammy Guevara singing along to Jericho's theme song was a very fun moment as well.

Well, haven't had to say this for a while. AEW Dynamite didn't make ITV4's top 50 shows for the week of the 9-15th. That means it's less than 81,000. How much less, your guess is as good as mine. But man, the January surge is over.

October

November

December

January

February

March
    22: < 81,000

The Brain
    Gotta figure folks have their eyes glued to the news over there about now, yeah?

I saw that they did indeed push back Blood & Guts, which I think was definitely the right call. Interesting to see what they come up with this Wednesday, actually couldn't hurt to have more opportunity to build to that match and debut it when they finally get back in front of a crowd.

D'you know given the timeslot, the fact it's available on-demand, and the sheer number of people who seem to have been ignoring it making this lockdown necessary, I'm not sure how big a factor that will have been.

There were a lot of films in the list with decent viewing figures. It could have done a number in the high 70,000s and just been edged out because more people are staying in and watching whatever movie happens to be on.

The drop seems to be around three weeks long now - counting the very low last number in February. Another couple of weeks of sub-100k and we'd have to call that the new normal. Maybe people being locked down will prevent that from happening?! The reports of their no-audience show were almost universally positive, too, so that could have helped their delayed-audience.

The Brain
    I'll be interested to see, that show did a good rating over here so maybe it'll carry over.

Special long episode of Dark dropping today, including some indie wrestlers who don't have much work right now. Not sure if it'll be anyone significant or not, but it's a cool idea and I'm looking forward to seeing what they put out!

Several wrestling podcasts are trying to help struggling Indy wrestlers, by letting them on the show and share their stories. It's a nice gesture but sadly I don't think it's going to help most of these people get paychecks. There's just not gonna be enough shows/demand because of the circumstances.

Update on the week's ratings - all a lot closer together as AEW fell, NXT up.

AEW: 819,000
    NXT: 669,000

The drop may be due to shows being less exciting, thanks to Jericho’s ban on fans coming to the arenas. Can’t believe Tony Khan is letting him get away with that.
    See the latest of my Ric Flair saga click here. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...acock-(Part-2) View my story inspired by colorful wrestlers I've come across in my fandom. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...-the-Challenge

The Brain
    Indeed, Jericho's power is running wild!

As much as I like Moxley, not sure Jericho should not be the one with the title. He’s the most important guy on the show. The argument could be made he doesn’t need it, but it may need him.
    See the latest of my Ric Flair saga click here. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...acock-(Part-2) View my story inspired by colorful wrestlers I've come across in my fandom. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...-the-Challenge

The Brain
    I was definitely banking on Jericho to retain, and I think he still might reclaim the title at some point during this run before finally dropping it to Cody when they figure out how to break that stipulation in the right way.

Edging back up for the show on the 20th. 101k, from 55 live and 46 watching later. After looking like it was going to go the other way, it seems to be the crowd that watches live that is holding up better than the on-demanders. But yes - in summary, it's still weak compared to the average for 2020 as a whole, but it's a step-up on the last couple of weeks.

October

November

December

January

February

March
    22: < 81,000
    23: 101,000

The Brain
    Of more interest to me is the introduction of the TNT Championship, which puts me in mind of the old TV titles (since it's named after their TV channel, anyway). Glad they're doing a tournament to crown the first champion. Competitors to be announced this week! Methinks this could be custom made for a guy like MJF, though I could see it going to Darby Allin or a few other choices.

It’s made for one of the upper coming stars. Though I’d love to see PAC with some gold.

This would be a great belt for Darby to feud over with a strong heel. MJF, possibly, though, he may be able to snag the World Title.

If Moxley is going to be World champ for a decent amount of time, then a heel is going to win this title for balance.

The Brain
    Hence my thinking towards MJF. Though now that I think of it, Sammy Guevara would be an excellent choice as well.

I’d take Sammy and think he possible needs it more than Allin because of his dreadful win/loss ratio.

I would give it to MJF. I do not think that Inner Circle needs anymore as they are already the focus of about half the shows now. Spread the wealth.

I’m an agreement a heel should win. I think Darby should chase it and eventually win it.

In the spirit of a TV title sort of mechanism - and from my amateur perspective a heel needs to hold this belt. I'm not super into any current product, but the notion of a heel, being a heel to retain the title via intentional DQs, count outs, and most importantly time limit draws (please let there be time limits for this title!!!) has me more interested than anything else happening in the current wrestling landscape.

Quote Originally Posted by BK-097 View Post
    In the spirit of a TV title sort of mechanism - and from my amateur perspective a heel needs to hold this belt. I'm not super into any current product, but the notion of a heel, being a heel to retain the title via intentional DQs, count outs, and most importantly time limit draws (please let there be time limits for this title!!!) has me more interested than anything else happening in the current wrestling landscape.
    100%. AEW has disappointed me too much to get overly excited, but this is potentially an exciting idea.

Quote Originally Posted by BK-097 View Post
    I'm not super into any current product, but the notion of a heel, being a heel to retain the title via intentional DQs, count outs, and most importantly time limit draws (please let there be time limits for this title!!!) has me more interested than anything else happening in the current wrestling landscape.
    Cody said not too long ago that AEW wants finishes, and isn't particularly interested in DQ's or countouts, etc. Which I don't understand at all. It's like they say complaints about WWE for a decade ago about how TV matches never had finishes, and decided that everything they do always needs one.

Why is AEW introducing a new title right now at all? I understand that it might have been the plan, but it's like the debuts of Brodie Lee and Matt Hardy. Why are you doing it with no fans at these shows?

You have to create new content, and don't want to get into too much of a holding pattern, but they debuted Hardy in an angle that needed fans to cheer him and chant delete. Now they're introducing a new title for matches that nobody can react to and possibly a tournament final that happens in the same circumstance?

The Brain
    I kind of get that mindset, Coach, but also if I watch and enjoy it, it's no skin off my back? But I may be the exception.

It's not a problem that it's created good TV content, they're just doing a lot of stuff that needs that live crowd reaction but obviously can't have it.

A little bit of reinvention of how wrestling is presented is going to be necessary in the coming months. Matt Hardy popping up in a way that begs for a pop and the fans chanting along doesn't work in this presentation.

Truth is, I don't know what the answer to that reinvention is (I'm working on it) nor do I have a ton of suggestions. But something needs to be done. I'm not big on the cinematic stuff -- I'm sure I'll hate the Funhouse and Bone Yard matches at Mania -- because it's not true to the spirit of what professional wrestling is supposed to be.

It's supposed to be one take, no opportunity for do-overs, like a sport. It's literally supposed to blend sports and entertainment. The cinematic stuff makes it feel like it was done in multiple takes, and it's fake. It really screams "fake" to me.

I don't know what the answer is. I liked AWE's presentation from a few weeks ago. The matches calmed down a little with no crowd there, and it felt a little more real than it often does.

Maybe an answer to the presentation is to lean into the sports aspect of wrestling, not the entertainment one as companies have been doing.

Michael Jordan had a "love of the game" clause in his contract that specifically stated that he could play basketball any time he wanted, so long he wasn't getting paid for it or playing for another NBA team. So let's lean into that aspect a little. These guys care so much about the competition, about winning matches and earning that winner's purse, that they don't care if there are fans there. They want to win.

No bullshit, just tough guys who want to win fights. Strip it down to the bare bones of pro wrestling, and tell stories from there.

I understand this argument but really disagree with it. I was between jobs when this thing started and while I’m in good health and have money saved up (a lot to be thankful for) I’ve barely left the house for 3 weeks and these big moments give me something special during these days. I don’t have any complaints about life but the name of the game is entertainment right now and who knows how much longer we’ll have any wrestling at all.

Is MJF sick? Have a problem with management? Other than that...why is he not even in the TNT Title tourney?

Just a guess, but I'm assuming AEW is letting wrestlers volunteer to work. Maybe MJF isn't taking any chances?

Could be...but some more speculation. MJF is from Long Island, and his family is still here, and NY has been hit hard. Maybe he has friends or family that are sick, or just spending time with them.

But I guess that anything is possible.