Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
    The deal will see AEW air on all TSN digital platforms, including TSN.ca and the TSN app, and will apparently rotate between channels depending on TSN's schedule. The first four weeks will air on TSN 2 and the fifth week will air on TSN 3. I would guess that it will eventually wind up on TSN, TSN 4 and TSN 5.

Just been through the ITV listings, and can now see what their coverage of Dynamite will look like.

8.20 AM for 2 hours on ITV 4 Sunday Mornings. I guess this'll be edited for the early morning slot.

11.45 pm for 50 minutes on Monday Evenings, on ITV1. This is probably going to be where any 'uncut' bits get shown, though obviously this'll only be about 45 minutes of the show max once you've factored in adverts.

One of the complaints I saw in the initial furore was that this was the wrong way around - that they should have an uncut version of the full show in the evening and maybe a shorter, edited version for the family friendly slot. Though maybe they just don't want to take up 2 hours of prime TV real estate on the main channel with wrestling?

But anyway, for the Brits that's how it'll shape up. If you're not going the online route, that's where you'll find it.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Did anyone besides me watch the Intro to AEW last night? It was a pretty good intro to the AEW Universe, and completely sets you up for the premiere tonight.

The Brain
    Saw it was confirmed that Ortiz & Santana will be Jericho's partners on the show tonight. Probably the most predictable outcome, which makes me wonder why doing the mystery partner thing at all, but it should be a great showcase for them.

Maybe to give just a tad bit more intrigue for the premiere?

The UK deal has been altered a bit. The Monday highlight show on ITV will remain, but the show will now be available to view on the ITV Hub on Thursday at 7 p.m. (only a day after the show) and on Friday at 11:20 p.m. on ITV 4. I'm no genius, but this seems to be really good.

Clearly the TV guide needs to catch up to that new info.

Certainly seems better than what they had, for sure. The timings work out well and having it on demand from an early time is good (even though the ITV Hub is not at the level of some of it's streaming competitors, but there's not a lot anyone can do about that).

To put into perspective some of the things we were talking about earlier on - the most popular channel in the UK is BBC 1, which in a seven day period in September had an average daily reach of 37.49% of the population (all TV combined, as a comparison, had a reach of 68.23%).

The main ITV channel, which will feature the highlight show in a late-night slot, has the second biggest reach, with 18.57%. ITV 4 has 2.7%. The biggest of the Sky Sports channels - their 'main event' station - had a comparable reach of 2.68%. Sky has a slightly bigger 'share' because of the amount of time each person then actually spent watching said channel.

Now - if everyone who watched World of Sport through on the main ITV channel started watching AEW on ITV 4, it'd be that channel's most popular show. WoS was doing about half a million viewers by the end and ITV 4 doesn't have much that ever breaks 400,000, with the cycling coverage their most reliable programming. Their top show in the week it was off was a repeat of The Fugitive.

So - here's the summary, for those who don't want to read all that. It's not a big channel, or a prestigious one, but it's one that a lot of people have access to even if most don't actually watch it all that often, and if wrestling fans turn out for it then it could be a mutually beneficial relationship where they outdo what's already on the channel by some distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    The deal will see AEW air on all TSN digital platforms, including TSN.ca and the TSN app, and will apparently rotate between channels depending on TSN's schedule. The first four weeks will air on TSN 2 and the fifth week will air on TSN 3. I would guess that it will eventually wind up on TSN, TSN 4 and TSN 5.
    Why would you guess that? If anything it feels like they are giving them a bummer slot on TSN 2, and then TSN 3, almost like they don't expect it to do well. I don't think it'll be moved up to the main channel.

I must clarify, I've not watched any TSN since they were only 1 channel. This 5 TSN channel world is completely new to me. But I am assuming that they aim to put their best stuff on the main channel, so being on 2 and 3 isn't really a strong sign. I don't expect it to fail, but I expect it to stay on those channels.

TSN2 is still a pretty good channel and kinda where they slot hockey if something like NFL football overlaps it, and I think 3 still carries hockey (but often is just a feed of whatever is on TSN proper). But the rest are pretty weak.

I think the problem that they're going to have is that, especially this time of year, SportsNet is so married to NHL that TSN is kind of the catch all for everything else. TSN airs NFL, MLB, they get some Hockey too, rugby, soccer, etc. Those seem to be their longer standing, and possibly more lucrative, agreements so I get the impression that AEW will be bounced around if one of those is in that timeslot until either they can find a permanent home in that TSN group for it or they lose something to fill that time.

I don't think that this is a high priority program for TSN. If ratings prove strong, it might become one, but this week TSN proper is airing World Series of Poker in the AEW timeslot, and next week the Rugby World Cup Game of the Day. It could have to do with preexisting contracts and this coming together rather quickly but it certainly appears that for now Rugby and Poker are higher priority. Plus come spring, MLB on TSN is back on Wednesdays and is traditionally on TSN.

I don't think that AEW winds up on TSN's primary channel for any extended period just given the other things that they carry on there.

EDIT: I actually wonder if MUCH might be a better fit for them. It's owned by Bell Media as well, they wouldn't be eating up time from anything but syndicated sitcoms, the demo is probably a good fit and could revamp MUCH somewhat.

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    Looks like AEW is doubling down on keeping track of wins and losses, since they added them to their roster page: https://www.allelitewrestling.com/roster

I don't know if anyone was interested in the UK ratings discussion that we were having, but if you were... it's hard to judge how their first week did, because I can't find a specific number for them, and they didn't make the top fifteen shows for the channel which means they don't get displayed in the general BARB results. But it does look like, across what they call their 'Four Screen Dashboard' which collates live viewing with OD across TV, Smartphone, Tablet and PC viewers, they must have done less than 191,000 for their debut show, or they'd have made the top 15.

So it could still be better than WWE manage behind a paywall, but it does look like the TNA viewers and the WoS viewers haven't flocked to AEW for their debut. It was actually beaten out on this list by reruns of Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven and of Lethal Weapon 4.

In a few days we'll have data for week 2, so maybe that'll change the look of things.

The Brain
    That's a bit surprising to me! I'll be interested to see if they gain more viewership in the UK. Perhaps a tour over here would bolster numbers? You've got to figure it's coming eventually.

Digging the win/loss records being incorporated. I do think there are ways to incorporate those into the storyline without becoming a complete slave to them and I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with it.

I've enjoyed the first two shows for the most part. This has got to be the make or break week for the near future for them, right? Whether they can roughly maintain last week's viewership or if they're going to bleed further because the initial hype has died down.

The Brain
    Are they up against any big baseball or other sports things this week?

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    That's a bit surprising to me! I'll be interested to see if they gain more viewership in the UK. Perhaps a tour over here would bolster numbers? You've got to figure it's coming eventually.
    Bit surprising to me, too. I figured with the extra hype they'd be looking at doing at least as well as TNA did at their peak but they've fallen well short of that, and on a bigger channel. Hard not to see it as a disappointment. Although obviously outperforming expectations in North America more than makes up for it.

As to the sport thing... I don't believe there's anything major that they're up against, no. I might be wrong though.

The Yankees-Astros game was rained out today so it's off, meaning only pre-season basketball and hockey will be on at the same time. No one cares about pre-season basketball in the states and (unfortunately) no one cares about hockey in the states either. This is a long way of saying both NXT and AEW are in the clear for tonight, so if ratings go down that should tell you all you need to know about the buzz for each show.

If they go up or down a few thousand that tells me that's roughly the audience. I've said before that I don't believe Baseball takes a big chunk of the audience (no more than 100K imo) could be wrong and there's big spikes for both this week... I hope AEW goes up because of the title match they set up. That would be a good sign of Jericho and of the young Darby Allin

The Brain
    Loved the main event tonight, everything from the duct tape on was awesome. I'm actually glad they didn't go for the usual garbage brawl and took a different path.

As for the rest of the show I liked it for the most part. Glad Riho beat Baker, the match only reinforced to me how bland Baker is. Hope her push is dialed back. Terrible timing with Luchasaurus getting hurt, and with Marko being the replacement I think a decisive squash after a much shorter hope spot would have fit a lot better. Liked the Moxley tag match a lot. Plenty of good stuff, looking forward to next week.

I thought that this week's show was on point. Everything was fun and good.

The beginning of the Jericho/Allin match wasnt great though. Up until the duct tape, which was awesome btw, both guys were off on timing- just didnt seem like they have a lot of chemistry together. The duct tape was a great prop. I popped a few times for Allin after that, as that must be extremely hard to do some of those spots. Like going up to the top. I was impressed.

The opening match told an awesome story again. The attention to detail AEW is giving the tag matches in the tournament has been amazing. Though honestly, there were too many tag matches last night- and thats coming from someone that looooves tag wrestling. I get that they're trying to introduce/establish a bunch of guys in a short time, but I think the two tourney tag matches should have been all the tag matches they did. Even though I really enjoyed the Omega tag match, by then I was burnt out on tag wrestling.
    I think they run the risk of devaluing the tourney matches by having so many tag bouts on each night.

Despite that though it was a good show.

I think it was to set a theme for the night more than anything. Once the tournament is finished, you're not going to have a bunch of tag matches every week.

They need to put more focus on the women's division though and I hope it happens soon.

They need to cool it with Britt Baker. I know she's not terrible; I saw her do really well at All In and Double or Nothing. For whatever reason she just hasn't been the same since that Double or Nothing match and she was all over the place last night. It says a lot about Riho that they managed to get the crowd back at the end and that the final few minutes were strong. Riho is a legit star in the making; they just need to find the right opponent for her to create some great matches with (well other than Nyla Rose, as I thought that match was tremendous).

Was Britt the person that got a concussion at Fight For The Fallen? Could be a reason why things are out of line for her - but then I'm still of the thinking that these things take waaaaay longer to recover from than the time it takes for them to be 'medically cleared'.

Like, I'm still pretty sure The Miz didn't properly recover from his at Mania 27 in 2011 until late 2015/early 2016, such was the noticeable reduction in quality in his ring work in the intervening years.

I thought AEW continued to world build last night, while delivering probably their best show to date. Nice to see three or four matches with consequences on the card, which made things feel important.

Hopefully they can keep this improvement up, as they're certainly trending to be the second best televised North American wrestling-based TV show of the decade after Lucha Underground currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    I thought AEW continued to world build last night, while delivering probably their best show to date. Nice to see three or four matches with consequences on the card, which made things feel important.
    Exactly. AEW took the first two weeks to introduce and build, but last night they just did a wrestling show. Yes they introduced Scorpio Sky, but they did it within the confines of starting a feud with SCU and the Lucha Brothers.

I think that the creative/writers of AEW had months to plan their show, that they have a plan that is a few months long. Long term planning. I do not think that they are constantly re-writing their show, like reportedly Vince does on a daily basis, even hours leading up to the show. It seems like the powers that be in AEW took the time to lay out a story for everyone on the roster, and each week they move those stories along. The Women's division needs more representation though.

I just hope that moving forward AEW can continue to get almost everyone involved on a weekly basis. Not everyone was on TV, but it didn't feel like they were left out. For instance, the Bucks did not have a match and only came out to check on Daniels, but then later they were promoted for a match next week. So they were still relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Cult Icon View Post
    They need to cool it with Britt Baker. I know she's not terrible; I saw her do really well at All In and Double or Nothing. For whatever reason she just hasn't been the same since that Double or Nothing match and she was all over the place last night. It says a lot about Riho that they managed to get the crowd back at the end and that the final few minutes were strong. Riho is a legit star in the making; they just need to find the right opponent for her to create some great matches with (well other than Nyla Rose, as I thought that match was tremendous).
    Is there any suspension of disbelief, at all, in Riho beating Awesome Kong? I'm starting to think that is why they haven't put her on TV through the first 3 weeks, because it will make Riho look like a joke. Kong's got what 220lbs on her? And Kong is mobile. No way anyone is buying Riho winning that kind of battle unless she has tons of outside help.

I actually think that is why they havent really rolled out any of the truly credible females yet, because it will make Riho look like the novelty that she is. Thatbwas the best females match Ive seen on AEW through 3 weeks, and it was still bad. It's almost as if the women's division is a novelty after thought to AEW.

The women's division is most definitely the weak point of AEW. But that's not on Riho. She's had seven matches for AEW; in all seven she was either the best performer or tied for being the best performer (and some of these matches featured Yuka Sakazaki, Emi Sakura and Hikaru Shida, three really talented performers themselves) and in the last two she got what I thought was an unbelievable match out of Nyla Rose (who is underrated but still developing) and a match with Britt Baker that was better than it had any right to be given how off kilter Baker was from the moment the bell rang. Most importantly, in both of those matches, the crowd was going nuts by the end despite coming into the bout cold. I was in DC for that Nyla Rose match and I can tell you right now that arena, while respectful, didn't care for that match when the bell rang. By the end Riho winning got the biggest pop of the night next to Jon Moxley running out. That didn't just happen via magic.

Does AEW need to find more talent? Absolutely. Do they have other women they can be using other than Baker who will be better? Sure; I think Penelope Ford and Sadie Gibbs would both give more than Baker is if put in the same position, I think Nyla Rose is only going to get better and I would love to see more of the joshi talent come in to be used. None of that changes that Riho is absolutely the right person to hold the belt. I don't care that she's small; I care that she's gotten the biggest reaction of any female performer thus far and I care that she's gotten the crowd to care about two matches with two performers fans aren't high on. She's no novelty act and I for one would love to see her against Awesome Kong. I believed 100% she could beat Nyla Rose and seeing as she did accomplish that, in a kayfabe setting I have no doubt she can beat Kong as well.

I believe you're in the minority on that, Cult. I agree that Riho has done an impeccable job despite her size disadvantage, and she'll work out just fine. But I highly doubt the perception that she's too small or a novelty is just Kleck on his own. And putting her against even bigger talent will be challenging.

Reminds me of Rey getting the push in WWE. It worked vs Angle and Orton. It didn't work for long after that though, and the experiment died.

Quote Originally Posted by PEN15v2 View Post
    I believe you're in the minority on that, Cult. I agree that Riho has done an impeccable job despite her size disadvantage, and she'll work out just fine. But I highly doubt the perception that she's too small or a novelty is just Kleck on his own. And putting her against even bigger talent will be challenging.

Reminds me of Rey getting the push in WWE. It worked vs Angle and Orton. It didn't work for long after that though, and the experiment died.
    I would tend to agree with Pen on this one. Maybe the million people watching AEW every week don't care about believability or a bigger person vs a smaller person. I don't know. But I don't buy it and more and more I find myself walking out of the room to do other things when AEW's women's matches are on which is something I don't do with other promotions.

I don't find that anything Riho does looks like his has any oomph behind it or would hurt anyone.

I've had a busy week, so I haven't watched AEW yet. I like Britt Baker though and think that she has a lot more star potential in North America than Riho, so maybe my mind won't wander as much during their match.

Quote Originally Posted by LK3185 View Post
    1,014M for AEW last night. .042 demo

712K for NXT .020 demo
    So, Dynamite drew almost identical to last week (not factoring the TruTV viewers) and NXT was down not quite 80k viewers. Looks like they're starting to settle pretty quickly in to where they're going to be barring something to pique interest in one or the other.

Just look at the crowd reactions with Riho vs. Nyla Rose to last night... They were into Riho vs. Rose all the way.. whereas the finish in Riho/Britt Baker is only thing that got them.

I feel like if you put good women with Riho, it works. Britt isn't ready for that spot even if she has higher potential. its painful.

The Brain
    The idea that Mysterio's title run failed due to his size as opposed to some of the worst booking in all of history (ever see any other champions get literally squashed in non title matches?) is foreign to me.

Size will always be a stumbling block for some fans, but so far crowd reaction makes me think Riho has made it over the hump.

The thing is, Rey Mysterio has always been believeable to me within reason, because he may be small, but he has always been pretty jacked. You can clearly see he is in tremendous physical condition, so it is totally believeable that he can pair that muscle, with smarts, and speed to take down bigger opponents within reason (it starts stretching around Big Show/Mark Henry). Whereas Riho has zero muscle mass at all. She's also so thin that she can barely be seen in the 3rd dimension. She's legit not even a 3rd of Awesome Kong's size physically, has zero muscle mass, and Kong is a veteran who has some ability. I just can't buy it in a million years. It would be like Strowman against Sam Roberts.

Part of me thinks they are building fan sentiment for Riho, just to have a heel like Kong show up and absolutely maul her. Like so bad and unethically that fans turn into heat machines. Maybe she is "injured" and has to vacate the title, and the heel wins it. Then pass that heat off to another face they haven't unveiled yet down the road. I just can't realisticwlly see her as a credible champ in a field of credible wrestlers. Shes like 90lbs with zero muscle mass.

I dont think Kong is seen as someone that will carry the brand. Its not 2006 anymore. Not to say that the potential match isnt a mismatch but I would be surprised if we see Kong in a title match

And Kleck i know you dont find it Credible but that obviously didn’t matter those in attendance when Riho pinned Nyla Rose who is the second biggest person on the roster
    Last edited by LK3185; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:26 PM.

True, there is a big disparity between Nyla and Kong though, and I could visibly see Nyla leaping numerous times to sell Riho's offense, most notably off the top rope. Maybe others didnt notice it then, but how many times until they do?

No I see Kong being the title's placeholder to build up the eventual true face of the women's division.

I dig underdogs, but Riho is just beyond my suspension of disbelief personally.

I can't comment on the matches, but based on the number of reactions I've seen, there's a lot of evidence that she's one of the favourites of the committed AEW fans. But there's at least as much evidence to believe that she's well over the line of reason for many people, outside that 'choir'.

The Brain
    I also think people are wildly overestimating what Awesome Kong can do in 2019. I am a HUGE fan of Awesome Kong but she hasn't worked anything resembling a full time schedule in 10 years, and barely wrestled at all in the past 3. She'll always be an impressive figure with a great aura and the ability to convincingly smack somebody, but at 42 years old with a foothold in the acting world, I doubt she will be showing up very often.

Maybe AEW will treat Kong as a Lesnar type of performer? The spectacle match for PPVs.

I think that the money feud with Kong will be against Nyla Rose, but you have to build to that match. If and when AEW has their first Wrestlemania type of PPV, their biggest show of the year, that is when you have Awesome Kong vs Nyla Rose, but you got to give build it properly. And so far in 3 weeks AEW is building feuds well.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    The idea that Mysterio's title run failed due to his size as opposed to some of the worst booking in all of history (ever see any other champions get literally squashed in non title matches?) is foreign to me.
    I didn't say it was due to his size. I said it died. And size was a factor. Booking Rey as champ with the roster SD had at the time would be incredibly difficult due to the size differential. WWE mucked it up, but it wasn't an easy task to begin with.

The Brain
    Perhaps, but since they seemingly didn't even try we'll never know. He was eating clean pins in 5 minutes or less only a month into his reign!

I got curious about some of the discussions about Riho that were going on earlier so I thought I'd do some research. I won't bore anyone too much with the methodology of analysing social media, but I was looking at tweets that mention Riho during the show. The vast majority aren't obviously positive or negative, either just saying what's happened on the show or bringing up other things.

Of the ones that took a position, the majority were positive - as you might expect, since you'd anticipate that fans of the show are most likely to be tweeting. I'd say, though, that once you excluded anything neutral, somewhere in the vicinity of 20-25% of the remaining tweets were negative either about her size or her ability. For interest, I repeated this with Marko Stunt, and it's a similar situation, although it's probably up closer to 30% negative. So there's definitely a statistically significant push-back amongst even some in the AEW crowd. They're also the only matches on this week's show I can find linked to the phrase 'switch to NXT' or 'Over to NXT' anywhere, for what it's worth.

If you wanted real conclusions you'd have to reproduce this week on week to get a much bigger sample, you'd probably want to look at someone else's programming as an extra control, and I only did this quickly and for my own interest so it's hardly rigorous - but while you can't tell too much it does at least imply what people are saying about them maybe having difficulty getting this to translate to a different audience.

Anyway. Thought I'd share.

Nice info.

The fact is that all wrestling talent should have the ability to get fans interested. And despite the lack of credibility some feel about Marko and Riho, I don't think anyone is wanting them out of a job or out of wrestling. But use of these types of wrestlers might best away from titles. I'll compare to Eugene (wait, don't get furious out of the gate). Eugene was a controversial character, but got over, and for many fans was a very entertaining part of the show. But, once he was booked in matches vs HHH, we saw the ceiling for his character. People can be over, and draw, but shouldn't be in the main event picture.

Is this to say Riho shouldn't be AEW champ? Honestly, I think she's the perfect option right now. But (AEW diehards aren't going to like this part) it's because the AEW women's division is fucking awful. They have access to a lot of talent, but judging by the people used regularly as real roster members and not one-time Battle Royale bodies, they have nobody of note yet. And they have to start at the bottom, which is why Riho is awesome. She doesn't need a character. Her underdog undersized story immediately stands out without knowing anything about her. It's a great place to start, while developing the rest of the roster. Britt has been the other top female star, and she's in no position to unseat Riho. Bea I like, but has seemingly injured her opponent severely twice in recent events. She shouldn't be getting a major push yet. Kong is likely not ready to be a full time face of the division. Aka Kong is great for attraction spectacle matches, but can't carry the division... So Riho is the best option until AEW develops the rest of the female roster. Maybe Allie?