Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617
    The Brain
    From the quarter breakdowns I saw, AEW lost very few viewers from start to finish, with the biggest drop being the Private Party/PnP match (which I thought was weird, unless it coincided with Revival/ReDragon maybe?) and almost all of those coming back for the main event of Darby/Mox. Glad for that, because I really adored that match, one of my favorites I've seen all year!

UK Ratings for the first/full showing of Dynamite first broadcast in the US on the 13th.

1: <191,100
    2: <184,627
    3: <168,448
    4: 170,689 – ranked 12th (revised down from 10th)
    5: <151,005
    6: <166,984
    7: < 221,200

A high number 15th place means it's nowhere to be seen. Thinkbox is acting a bit weird at the moment, but if I've read that rightly, when we revise this we're going to have to go low. I think it's going to be sub-80,000. It looks like the show was moved to Friday night and fans didn't follow it or bother to catch up.

No sign anywhere of the ITV1 show but that's to be expected - it'd have to have scored more than a million viewers to show up in these lists.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Just to add to the above, seen other people come to the same conclusion about the number being lower than 81,000, and they are also blaming the timeslot changing. Also some speculation that some aren't bothering to follow it, while a limited hardcore will be sourcing it by other means. There's also a lot of negativity towards ITV online.

I guess this is one thing about the TNA/Challenge deal - because it was their biggest show, you always knew exactly where it was going to be in the listings.

But to summarise - likely sub 81,000 for the week after Full Gear, show being moved around, and some discontent in the UK fanbase.

The Brain
    Really is a bit strange. Maybe AEW needs to do a UK tour to boost their profile or something??

Is this also counting the FITE data? Remember, AEW has a deal with FITE over there that came about after the initial issues with the TV deal.

I wouldn't have thought so - in fact, I'm fairly sure that was one of the other means that they were talking about, along with illegal methods.

I really doubt you're hitting any casual fans through FITE, mind.

Apparently Chris Cruise has contacted the Maryland Athletic Commission about the Mox-Omega match at Full Gear violating their rules and they're investigating it.

It seems like he's specifically focused on the rules surrounding blading, and maybe leaving the ringside area.

How fucking stupid. How can you possibly expect that a commission is going to legitimately enforce their rules around professional wrestling in 2019, when their rules actually include bans on:

(a) Striking an opponent with a fist or using the knuckles;
    . . .
    (d) Slamming an opponent into a ring post;
    . . .
    (f) Kicking an opponent unless a recognized wrestling move;
    . . .
    (j) Jumping from the ring ropes onto an opponent;

I'm pro-commission in many cases, but this seems like the MAC's governing of pro wrestling is a vestigial remnant of when people thought it was a shoot.

Chris Cruise is such a fucking toolbag

Just to throw it out there, but I think this is just to get some counter-cultural 'shine' for AEW and is the workiest of works.

Aren't hurricanrana's (specifically) illegal in Louisiana or something? I remember it being a story around Mania 34.

Just going to update this again with the latest UK rating. Again it was outside the top 15.

1: <191,100
    2: <184,627
    3: <168,448
    4: 170,689 – ranked 12th (revised down from 10th)
    5: <151,005
    6: <166,984
    7: < 221,200
    8: < 169,306

Can't see it on Thinkbox either so it could be another low one, although the weirdery continues so you have to try and work it out by the timeslot which means I could be wrong. If right it could be less than 68,000.

The ITV 1 ratings were really high between I'm a Celebrity and the Election debate so you've got even less chance of finding the shorter show in the top 50.

US ratings from last week.

Nxt: 810,000 (-11%)
    Aew: 663,000 (-25%)

Wasn’t Allie a decent wrestler who built some name recognition on Impact? I would think she’d have Britt Baker’s spot as someone being built for a title run. Maybe I’m wrong about her because I didn’t watch Impact closely.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    US ratings from last week.

Nxt: 810,000 (-11%)
    Aew: 663,000 (-25%)
    That's the value of the WWE brand across 2 networks, and true cross promotion. I know AEW heavies like to say it was because NXT had Raw and SD stars on, and it was certainly a factor. But the way NXT was promoted on the other shows, and obviously Survivor Series, was the true cross promotion. They followed old advice I suggested when SD was struggling. I'd watch SD and see replays of Raw, when it really should have been the other way around. Use your main vehicle to sell the smaller one, and everyone gains.

Now, those AEW numbers might stay where they are, and those numbers might be fine for all involved. I know experts will claim TNT is happy, and they might be. But we don't honestly know. So, if anyone between AEW and TNT are unhappy, I think panic mode might be sinking in, which is unfortunate. As much as I can't consider myself a fan, there's no denying they have something. They might not be as unique as they planned (or claimed) to be, but the pieces are still there.

I'll never pretend to know what's really going on, but I truly believe Cody doesn't have enough influence on the rest of the show. The parts he's involved in always seem to work, get over, and sustain that energy. But the Bucks leading the tag division... I'm biased against this style, so I could be completely wrong. But it truly feels that we've already seen everything you're going to see from the tag teams. The style certainly has fans, but I think many of the curious people looking for an alternative to WWE didn't find it when they saw spots over and over again in 50% of the AEW matches.

Now, hopefully nobody is panicking. I'm sure there was enough consideration before they debuted that there would be a honeymoon period, and that they'll need to tough it out after that. I don't know what else they can do outside of the show though. I wasn't old enough, or ever had real access to WCW when they became true competition to WWF. I don't know how TNT and TBS marketed the show, or how the word of mouth spread. I think AEW likely have a more in touch online presence than WWE (WWE likely has a better overall social media team, but it's likely more corporate and dependent on size more than effectiveness), and they need to work on that.

But I would ask what more they could do on social media. They've been very good at the grassroots effort. They're all very interactive with their fans, and their following is very dedicated.

In my view, it looks like a combination of the WWE machine being behind NXT -- and let's not forget that shows after PPVs tend to have increased interest and viewership -- and possibly the next day being a holiday given that overall viewership of both shows was down week-to-week.

I wouldn't freak out if I were in AEW, as just a few weeks ago those two ratings number were almost completely flipped and NXT rebounded. If this happens three or four weeks in a row (ratings staying in a slump, not necessarily NXT "winning") then maybe it's time to consider that what they're doing isn't connecting outside of that dedicated fanbase.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    then maybe it's time to consider that what they're doing isn't connecting outside of that dedicated fanbase.
    I'm on the verge of calling that already. I don't think we'd need to see many more of these come in below 900k before I'd consider it effectively proven.

I did see a lot of people saying that they gave AEW a chance but they are done now, so I think the honeymoon is over. Also saw a lot of people blaming the quality of the show that week specifically.

Id like to see Luchasouras get a program with Jericho. Maybe test that water a little bit.
    See the latest of my Ric Flair saga click here. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...acock-(Part-2) View my story inspired by colorful wrestlers I've come across in my fandom. http://lordsofpain.tv/showthread.php...-the-Challenge

Are those the night before Thanksgiving numbers, Prime? Could explain the big drop in AEW numbers - although interesting that NXT essentially settled to it's 'normal' after a one week pop (either because of the highly publicised invitation to Raw/Smackdown guys, the Takeover/Survivor Series build, or something else) while AEW dipped heavily.

It is the night before Thanksgiving, yeah, which I'm sure does play a role.

The analysis I saw (from a decent source) said AEW won all the demos except the oldies, but that they were so close as to be statistical ties and not really wins in any meaningful sense, while the oldsters are still plumping heavy for WWE. Though that doesn't explain why WWE lost 1 in 10 of their crowd while AEW lost 1 in 4. I guess the real issue for wrestling is 300,000 viewers gone total, so it's not like they were lost to each other - they just didn't watch.

Definite discontent with that week's show out there, though, so I don't think it can all be pinned on the holiday.

The Brain
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    Aren't hurricanrana's (specifically) illegal in Louisiana or something? I remember it being a story around Mania 34.
    Yeah, the state commission enforced a bunch of weird things over that weekend. I remember one in particular was no piledrivers, which actually lead to a bunch of shows that were refreshingly free of Canadian Destroyers.

But yes, commissions that just ban moves wholesale based on outdated ideas and a lack of understanding are very stupid.

Yeah, in some places it's a power play. In a lot of places though it has to do with wrestling just not being on the commission's radar. It's not important enough to them to take the time to change the rules, but they have to enforce those rules.

It's one thing if they don't bother enforcing rules on (or even really overseeing) the local indy companies running monthly. But when you've got a city full of promotions running alongside WrestleMania, suddenly it has to be enforced.

The problem is, if they ignore the stupid rules and someone gets hurt, even if it's not from breaking a rule, there's a liability issue there and they could be accused of negligence or the promotion would lose any level of protection they might have had. Worse yet, if they choose to overlook rules governing pro wrestling, boxing and MMA promoters have grounds to start questioning rules, fees, etc. when it comes to their sports that absolutely need to be overseen.

Ideally, rules would be updated to match the current reality. But pro wrestling often is just not something important enough to the commissions. A lot of people involved in commissions are also smartened up to the business, but not really smartened up.

I deal with one where some bumps that are safe if done properly but look dangerous like stuff off ladders and through tables (and sometimes even more flippy stuff off the ropes) will get me a talking to, but I've lost my shit on guys doing unprotected chair shots to the head and the commission has nothing to say. One looks "dangerous" because it's supposed to but is perfectly safe, the other just looks like a part of pro wrestling but is really dangerous.