Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: AEW Dynamite

Allie is in the same boat as the skinny one from Dark Order in that I don't buy her at all.

Some of it I think it a girl promo thing, but a lot of it I think is that this gimmick just isn't her. Her promo was just really heavily scripted and forced. I don't think that a lot of girls are really natural at promos, a lot are trying to act and it comes off like high school drama class.

I liked the old Allie.

Is Allie the Bunny?

Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    Is Allie the Bunny?
    Yeah.

I won't shit on Jericho for his segment. I think he's a really good promo, I thought that it was definitely some fan service and real callbacks, but I mean to jump on it too much is sort of like John Fogerty being sued for plagiarizing himself.

It could be seen as a bad look when AEW seemingly won't stop referencing WWE and NXT (that stupid Britt Baker thing) but as a standalone segment I thought it was good.

If this Jericho character was in WWE and had done a segment where he brought back the list and referenced the Nitro segment, people would pop. It's fun to reference stuff you'd done in the past, it just so happens that like 25 years of Jericho's past were WCW and WWE. So I won't give him shit over that.

I will give them shit about Britt Baker, I will roll my eyes at that dumb commercial and I will point out that there hasn't been a single company that's been overly referential to the WWE product that's succeeded long term. WCW died within a decade, Impact is a shell of its former self, ECW is gone.

The Brain
    I liked the episode, particular the stellar Jericho and Cody promos, and I thought Statlander vs. Shida was great. I also liked Allie's promo, never really heard the idea that women aren't good promos before. I suppose they've had fewer opportunities to speak on big stages but I thought she and Brandi did well. Running two "join our evil group" segments on the same show was one too many though.

What Brandi was was doing was confusing. Hell even Cody acknowledged what his wife is doing is a little off.

At least in the terrible Dark Order segment, you completely understood the purpose. Finding the lonely, depressed, and disenfranchised and recruiting them like other cults do. Brandi was just like ‘join me or else’ and then a random ‘fan’ volunteers. In my opinion dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    I also liked Allie's promo, never really heard the idea that women aren't good promos before.
    I's kind of a generalization that's been my personal experience.

I've noticed that in general women wrestlers tend to be a little wooden on their promos and it seems as though they use fewer contractions in their promos and more proper English, which tends to not be how people actually speak.

It's just something that I noticed. There's a lot of girls who are good promos, but a lot seem less natural. Almost like they're scripting something for themselves, even if it's in their own heads, before they start to speak and are trying to remember and recite it. There's a lot of dudes who do it, too, but it's just something I notice more in general with the girls.

Dudes it tends to be more a case of they've already thought up their gotcha zingers that are going to get that "ooo" from the crowd, so they don't bother to listen to what the other guy is saying because they've already decided what their next line is going to be.

I think it might be a symptom of people watching so many scripted promos for years.

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    Running two "join our evil group" segments on the same show was one too many though.
    Sounds like you're hitting the same notes as them, but that they were harder on it than you. Here's the first parapraph:

"AEW Dynamite aired a truly dismal episode filled with gothic overtones as The Nightmare Collective, The Dark Order, The Butcher and The Blade all appeared on the same broadcast with two of the aforementioned factions performing sacrifices. Yikes."

Must admit, I've heard similar takes on promos by women over the years. Looking at the people who've been in WWE or at that kind of level, the tendency seems to be a divide between those who get called 'bad' (Sasha, Bayley etc.) and those who are given more credit for being able to deliver in that style but who still sound very scripted and more like they are acting (Alexa Bliss, say). The one exception out of that grup has been Lynch, who I've seen praised more widely and which might explain why she's taken off in a way the others never have.

As for Allie, I watched it to see how different it was from the Allie in Impact. Definite bad horror movie vibes on that one. Though I suppose I've seen worse so if you're not asking someone to believe in it, to invest emotionally in it, then it'll do just fine to fill time I guess.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

I actually think Alexa tends more than not to be a great promo. She is a tremendous heel.

The whole Brandi Rhodes thing was shit. I'm sorry, Brandi is very good looking, but an overall terrible wrestler, including on the mic.

I envy the dude in the bondage, cause he is married to Allie irl, and she is one of the absolute most beautiful women. I'm down with any angle that gives her TV time. She was actually pretty damn solid in TNA as well.

This episode was middle of the road. Though middle of the road is still light years better than RAW and Smackdown. So if you're a WWE fan you might want to consider that. I'd say Dynamite is a much better investment on time then either of those stinking, burning trash piles WWE puts out.

NXT is pretty much the top North American wrestling product. And honestly, people don't give NXT UK the love they deserve. They are much better than most would believe. That product has improved A LOT in the past couple months.

Quote Originally Posted by Kleckamania View Post
    I actually think Alexa tends more than not to be a great promo. She is a tremendous heel.
    I think most people think she's one of the better people at the scripted style that is typical WWE fare, but they are still in that mould, nonetheless.

MJF is only 23 years old, yet last night he cut one of the better promos of 2019. That kid can command the room, deliver a promo with emotion and passion. His promo did what every promo should do. He praised Cody's accomplishments and sold that Cody is who he says he is all while cutting him down as every heel should do. It was not one of HHH or Stephanie's 15 minute cut you down to size promos without ever giving you credit for who and what you are. MJF put on a clinic for every young wrestler.

Was the WWE ever interested in him? If not, then it may look like they missed a huge opportunity. Cody is right, MJF may very well be the future of the business.
    Last edited by Powder; 12-12-2019 at 08:45 AM.

The Brain
    From what I read there was some interest from WWE but MJF decided to pursue things with AEW instead. Probably the best choice for him, all things considered.

Really liked the character stuff on Dynamite, MJF's promo being a big highlight. The Cody tag match was what I hoped it would be and was actually my favorite match of the night. I see lots of potential in Luchasaurus and Jericho on commentary was a hoot as well.

See, I was unimpressed with Luchasaurus. I had hoped/expected big things from him, stuff like what Dijakovic does on NXT. But what I saw, and this was my first time seeing him in action, and not on Big Brother, was that he was a big powerful guy, that did not really move. Is he still nursing the hamstring injury? B/c if not, then there was not much to see.

The Brain
    I wouldn't say he did everything he can do in the match but I actually prefer when a guy holds something back. I thought he used his size for some nice power power spots and I really enjoy his variety of strikes and kicks.

Buuuuuuuut, AEW's initial few episodes were all about showing the athleticism of its performers and all of the flips, planchas, and top rope ariel moves that they can do. That is/was Pen's major complaint about the wrestling that it was mostly flips and no wrestling. And when Lucha finally debuted in-ring he was majorly underwhelming. Again, if he is still nursing a hamstring injury, I understand and have no problem with him just doing power moves and kicks to be safe. But looking over at the other show (NXT) where you have Keith Lee and Dijakovic , both guys who are just as big, doing all these ariel maneuvers makes Luchasaurus look really bad, especially since his name has LUCHA in it. That directly implies that he is a Lucha style performer.

Furthermore, in both interactions that Luchasaurus had with Hager, his punches and kicks looked very weak, and not impactful. It really looked like a bad pro-wrestling punch.

I am hoping that this is all injury protection, because if not and this is what he is, the I will be very disappointed with Luchasaurus.

So I googled/youtubed Luchasuarus and here is a video of the 'Top 40 Moves of Luchasaurus' and while he is physically impressive, and he can perform ariel maneuvers, most of his stuff really looks bad. he looks like he is really trying to not hurt his opponent (a good thing BTW) and pulls his kicks and punches. It also appears that he is in slow motion and very choreographed. I have high hopes for him, but he looks like a guy that could use 6 months in the Performace Center to learn how to look real.

Last edited by Powder; 12-13-2019 at 12:09 PM.

Lol
    Powder, he spent 6 months in the Performance center. He was in NXT

I had absolutely no idea....then maybe another 6 months.

Think he got a bad injury, possibly spinal, that he was released after getting, but he had a few TV appearances under his belt and was signed for a couple of years, if I remember rightly. I seem to recall it was his letter that triggered various investigations into DeMott and eventually led to the latter's release from WWE.

The Brain
    Must be a case of "your mileage may vary". I've consistently enjoyed him in the ring for the past year or so, hopefully he can win fans over while continuing to improve in any way he can.

Highlights of last night.

Jericho showing that at 49 is still one of the best in the ring, making a 160 pound kid look like a million bucks, and made Jungle Boy into a star.

That was it. The lone highlight.

My concerns:

Lucha Bros vs Omega and Page, was a typical AEW match, but was there only to further the upcoming feud with Page and Omega. But then Page comes back to help Omega against PAC, and then during the Dark Order segment, Page was no where to be found. No consistency.

Butcher and Blade get beat. Waaayyy too soon for them to take a loss. The point of the group was to come in and cause Cody hell. And in the second week of action for them and the first match against Cody, they lose, by pinfall no less. If they were going to lose, it should have been by a DQ, where they would not stop beating Cody, or a chair shot etc. Not a pinfall loss. Now they lose kayfabe credibility.

Brandi Rhodes....just no idea to what or why she is doing what she is doing.

Kris Statlander vs. Britt Baker. Right person won. That's all there really is to say about this match.

The Young Bucks vs. SCU, was another typical AEW match. Good and entertaining, but nothing to write home about.

But then just an awful segment. I am at a complete loss with the Dark Order. I get it. I understand what the faction is doing, and what they are supposed to be. But they had about 12 Creepers, with more probably coming. How will anyone be able to get an advantage on them? Also, I just do not see Evil Uno as intimidating, or a charismatic leader. When the Wyatt Family debuted, you could easily see why Bray Wyatt was the leader of disenfranchised people as he has that "It factor" that all super charismatic cult leader types have and why they prey on the disenfranchised. But Evil Uno is not that.
    Last edited by Powder; 12-19-2019 at 10:31 AM.

The Brain
    Thought Jericho/Jungle Boy was brilliant and loved BBB vs. Cody & Allin. They set up and executed the match perfectly. Didn't think it was too early for them to lose, they still looked very impressive and were up against two of AEW's top stars.

I like Dark Order personally but yeah, don't think it was at all a good choice to give them a big main event angle. Very weird, AEW has shown they're willing to change direction based on fan response in most areas, but they seem intent on pushing Dark Order if they aren't very over.

My thoughts/takaways from last night's episode of Dynamite:

1. Marq Quen throws the absolute worst forearm shots to the head, and they look so ineffectual.
    2. AEW has been teasing a Hangman Page vs Kenny Omega feud, and the 'accidental' punch/kick/shot to the tag partner that usually sets off the feud happened last night TWICE in their match, and nothing happened as a result. What was the point of those spots if there was not going to be a payoff?
    3. PAC is awesome.
    4. Riho is the absolute worst thing in the terrible Women's division. She is so unbelievable as a champion it is bringing down the division lower than it already is. AEW got is right by putting their inaugural title on Jericho b/c they knew they needed someone with impeccable credentials to give the brand/title credibility. But then they put their Women's division title on the women's version of Marko Stunt.
    5. Brandi Rhodes and her Nightmare Collective is pointless. They interfered for both competitors? Then they attack.
    6. Brit Baker...so what. So we are getting a heel turn from her. Oh yeah, that'll save her. The best thing about her is that she is Adam Cole's Girlfriend.
    7. Awesome Kong and Christopher Daniels are really showing their ages. Daniels especially needs to hang up the boots.
    8. The Dark Order needs to stop, and I didn't think it was possible, but Evil Uno is more of a Black Hole of Charisma than Alberto del Rio was (for those of you who remember his moniker on these forums). And Evil Uno, in the khakis, jacket, shirt and tie looks like an out of shape Dad taking the easiest way possible to dress up for Halloween, by throwing on a mask at his office cubicle data entry job.
    9. MJF IS A STAR. And at almost 24 years old, he gets it. He is a polished veteran on the mic and puts almost everyone else to shame in the business with his promos. I absolutely loved that when DDP was ranting/selling his Yoga, that MJF went to the corner, took out his phone and starting looking at it, like he could not give 1 fuck about DDP. Great job. The WWE really missed the boat with MJF. I bet that they are waiting for his contract to be up. We keep talking about who is going to jump from the WWE to AEW, but I could see MJF jumping from AEW to the WWE.
    10. I get that Luchasaurus is huge, and in tremendous shape, but he does not impress me. Everything he does looks sloppy, slow and not power moves for a guy his size, nor lucha as his name implies.
    11. The Inner Circle/Moxley segment went on too long, and it was completely telegraphed.

Last night's episode felt like it was a WWE episode for the first time in their brief history. From Brandi's Nightmare Collective involveld in the Women's Title match, to the Dark order stuff, to DDP and MJF to the Inner Circle/Moxley stuff. It all felt very WWE.
    Last edited by Powder; 01-09-2020 at 09:36 AM.

The Brain
    Sounds like opinions on the episode were mixed, but I really enjoyed the latest Dynamite. Putting aside individual opinions on wrestlers, I like that for the most part they seem to be trying to push the acts that are actually over, and still working on the best balance between matches and character/promo stuff.

I just watched all the December episodes over the last 2 days, plus the Jan 1st show. I still hate the in ring style for 75% of the show, but credit must be given to the fact that they give a strong majority of matches a reason to exist. On the Jan 1st show, there was Mox vs Trent, which was a random obvious outcome. But it was the outlier, and most of the matches had a purpose or a story to tell. It was noticeable and refreshing.

The Brain
    Dynamite has definitely developed into a show where I enjoy some segments more than others. I guess that's true of most wrestling shows but I do think it's distinct in that each division feels quite a bit different stylistically. The tag stuff can be exciting but more often than not it isn't my favorite stuff, particularly the Young Bucks style stuff. The women are frequently solid and often a highlight of the show for me in the ring, though the booking of the division could be improved in my opinion. The stuff I tend to love most is the singles division stuff, particularly with compelling character stuff attached. Jericho, Cody, Moxley, MJF, Darby Allin, and others usually combine to make a must see segment or two for me. While it can make the show a little up and down to watch, I like that they cover a lot of bases and I pretty much always find a lot of stuff that really appeals to me.

Great show last night.

Thr ships setting was predictably cool, crowd was jam packed in and very rowdy but it all made for a great atmosphere.

I love that Hangman & Omega won the tag straps and it now sets Up Thr Bucks v them, probably at Revolution. It also furthers thr Adam Page story which is burning away slowly in the best kind of way.

Poor Britt Baker is dying a slow death. She will probably be fine down the line but is not where they thought she would be.

The Jurrasic Express match was fantastic, the day they decide they want to let them win they will explode with popularity. The more I watch Marko Stunt, the less I care about his size.

MJF needs to get thrown in the pool every year.

The main event was mixed though, I feel like PAC and Mox didn't gel and while the eye thing was good I suspect they would have had a better match without it. Crowd was at its worst during the match too, chanting for the boat that pulled in next to them and such, doesn't excuse the match totally but didn't help the situation. I did hear a rumor that it got edited down.

Overall though a very enjoyable show.
    Last edited by SirSam; 01-23-2020 at 04:19 PM.

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    Just finished watching the show, it was a fun one to watch. I pretty much agree with everything Sam just said above since I felt the same about the show.

One thing I did enjoy a lot were the vignettes / segments that they did highlighting a specific person. The Jungle Boy interview was well done, and the Pac vignette was outstanding. They had been doing this sort of thing on YouTube but they need to do more of it on TV every week.

Yeah the PAC thing was absolute fire. That guy knows exactly how to present himself. I just love the line, "I'm a honey badger mate and I'll gnaw your bastard face off" the delivery was incredible.

The Jungle Boy one was great too because it is obvious he is still developing confidence talking but this got around that with editing and being able to use video content over the interview. Good example of them hiding his weakness but still giving him some great exposure.

Looking at guys like Page, Jungle Boy & MJF the future seems very bright, those guys are just going to get better with time and have many years to develop.

The Brain
    God, loved the set on the boat. Unique venues are the BEST. I hope they find more weird places to hold shows periodically.

I think Page/Omega vs. the Bucks is cool, but I'm a liiiiitle put off that with so many tag teams on the roster, two guys who have barely tagged are the second champions. Doesn't bother me that much because it serves the story and they have been aligned in a larger group for the past few years. Don't think anyone would have guessed the first gold Omega picked up in AEW would be a tag belt! But most importantly, I'm glad they're figuring out what to do with Adam Page. It's clear in hindsight that straight to the top wasn't going to work, this is much more interesting than the other stuff he's done in AEW so far.

Say what you will about the Nightmare Collective, but Britt Baker is the weakest thing about the women's division to me by far.

I gotta say I LOVED the PAC/Mox main event. It helped that the way I watched continued during the commercial so I got to see the brawl all around the boat, including PAC sliding down some stairs in the most incredible way. I'd say the match was enhanced a lot by the eye thing, but I'm a huge sucker for unique pyschology matches. The whole thing felt gritty and I dug it, to the point where it might be my favorite AEW match of the year so far. Definitely up with Darby/Cody and Darby/PAC, at the very least.

The Brain
    Really enjoyed the episode of Dynamite, thought it was a strong collection of matches and they found the right amount of room for promo and character stuff to boot. All the Moxley/Jericho stuff was gold in particular, amazing how much Mox looks like a star when given half a chance.

Puerto Rican dude living in Japan Degenerate's Avatar
    I found the show's pace a lot better this week. The matches didn't feel like they dragged out as before and there was enough buildup for the biggest matches on their next big show. Some of the matches felt a bit odd when I saw them announced (SCU vs. Hybrid2, Private Party and Darby Allin vs. Inner Circle, Cody vs. Kip Sabian) but thinking back on it they need these types of matches to showcase some of the talent that would benefit from more TV time.

Also, whoever's doing those PAC vignettes needs to keep doing them. They're really great.

Agree 100% with you about PAC's vignettes, the guy is absolutely killing it.

I adored the Hangman Page bit, in the last two months things seem to have clicked for him and he has got over in a huge way, his pops and chants are even dwarfing Omega's when they are in the ring together. After seeing the Hold My Beer Buckshot Lariat it made me write my most recent column saying he would be the next champion until a day later when I reviewed the draft and changed things up. Still even the fact he is up that high shows they are doing well with him.

The Brain
    I do think we've got a ways to go before we can consider Page as a guy who could beat Jericho, but he's way closer now than when he actually got the title shot.

I respect sacrificing for your craft, but the 10 lashes that Cody took, was weird. Not to say that Cody didn't suffer, because he clearly did. BUT, what Cody and AEW did was far beyond the strap match between Bryan and the Fiend. The strap match was not as brutal, even though my own body would probably not agree. Also getting hit with the strap was part of an actual match where emotions can get carried away and Windham Rotunda might have taken some of the lashes a bit too far, and hit Bryan a little too hard, and maybe a few times too much, but that is what wrestling is and the true sacrifice for your craft.

But last night with MJF and Cody, and subsequently Wardlow. How in the hell can MJF and Wardlow look Cody in the eyes again, on a human level? They literally whipped him with a leather belt in the manner that slaves used to be whipped, and both men hit Cody really hard. How can the non character person of Maxwell Friedman or Michael Wardlow go backstage and walk over to Cody look at his back, and then be able to say anything to the likes of: "geez, I'm sorry, are you ok"? I personally can not see how Cody can go to the back and see MJF and say "everything is cool, and the segment played out perfectly". The man just got whipped 10 times like a dog.

There is one thing to take a match too far, and another to deliberately whip someone, even with permission.
    Last edited by Powder; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:09 AM.

How in the hell can MJF and Wardlow look Cody in the eyes again, on a human level? They literally whipped him with a leather belt in the manner that slaves used to be whipped, and both men hit Cody really hard. How can the non character person of Maxwell Friedman or Michael Wardlow go backstage and walk over to Cody look at his back, and then be able to say anything to the likes of: "geez, I'm sorry, are you ok"? I personally can not see how Cody can go to the back and see MJF and say "everything is cool, and the segment played out perfectly".

Wow, maybe they can't. Guess you'll have to watch Dynamite next week to find out if they can, huh?

I get how they can still work together, as you do not have to like each other, as we saw with Edge and Matt Hardy and now with Joey Janella and Kip Sabian, where real life issues are brought into kayfabe. That is easier to do.

But I cannot imagine what it would be like to whip someone 10 times, and then walk over to that person and then say, hey all is good right?

AEW TV will go on, and the story will progress as it was written, but I know that if I was the human being Cody Runnels, not the character of Cody Rhodes, I would have a hard time looking at, let alone talking to Maxwell Friedman. or the other way around.
    Last edited by Powder; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:24 AM.

I didn't watch, but jeez Powder... The "actors" behind the characters knew what was about to happen beforehand. Cody is one of the most professional people in wrestling, so even if he's beat up, he'll know they were just doing their job, which he likely told them to do. I've heard of enough wrestlers telling others not to take things lightly, and Cody seems like he'd be the same.

They are fine.

I get how they can still work together, as you do not have to like each other, as we saw with Edge and Matt Hardy and now with Joey Janella and Kip Sabian, where real life issues are brought into kayfabe. That is easier to do.

But I cannot imagine what it would be like to whip someone 10 times, and then walk over to that person and then say, hey all is good right?

AEW TV will go on, and the story will progress as it was written, but I know that if I was the human being Cody Runnels, not the character of Cody Rhodes, I would have a hard time looking at, let alone talking to Maxwell Friedman. or the other way around.
    They got to the back, had a laugh, one of them probably cracked a joke, hugged and Cody went to get checked out.

It's the business. It's not a shoot, Cody will cash in his receipts at the pay per view and everyone move on as friends.

Watch the segment first, then think about it, and then come back to answer me.

If you were an actor, wrestler, or just messing around with your friends, and you agreed to be whipped 10 times. Completely your choice, but then afterwards, you would be ok with your co-worker, opponent, or friend afterwards? Probably not.

This is different from an actual wrestling match. I am not saying that this was a 'real thing', but you cannot deny what actually took place. Cody took 10 hard lashes from a leather belt. That will live with him forever, even when his wounds heal.

I remember when I was a kid, and I did something wrong, and my father spanked/whipped me with his leather belt for my actions, and it happened a total of 2 times. I will never forget it, nor the pain of it, nor will I ever forgive a part of him for it. Yes he is my father, but it was a whipping. If you have never been hit (whipped) with a belt before, then you cannot possibly understand why this is not as easy to get over. Regardless of being scripted.

It has been about 35 years since I was hit with the belt, but the memory and pain never truly go away. So I can just imagine what Cody went through, by his own choice. I bet he didn't sleep well, and was in throbbing pain, from getting hit, and from the looks of it, hit as hard as MJF and then Warldlow could.

Taking shots in an actual match, even in a no holds barred, HIAC, no DQ, with chairs and kendo sticks etc, is not the same as taking 10 unprotected, brutal lashes.

Really effective segment, but absolutely brutal, and again I have no idea how MJF can look Cody in the eye afterwards.
    Last edited by Powder; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:13 PM.

Watch the segment first, then think about it, and then come back to answer me.

If you were an actor, wrestler, or just messing around with your friends, and you agreed to be whipped 10 times. Completely your choice, but then afterwards, you would be ok with your co-worker, opponent, or friend afterwards? Probably not.
    Yes, I would be, 100%. Because I know it's a work. You don't take anything personally.

I've done, and had done to me, things that should get you killed in the real world. Shit, I've been whipped with a belt before in a match (probably closer to five or six times than 10). I got to the back, made a joke about how much it sucked, hugged the guy I worked with an we went to get a beer afterward. He's still one of my most trusted friends in the business today.

I've spit at a guy's wife who was at ringside because I thought it would get heat and get him a bigger reaction when he lost it on me. I wrestled a kid in front of his mother and siblings, and completely brutalized him at them, ignoring every other fan at ringside.

We all hugged afterward, we're all friends. The kid's mom is still Facebook friends with me, and his dad has been one of my best friends for a decade. Wrestling is weird.

Being whipped 10 times probably sucked, but I'd take it to a big bump that's going to hurt more, be more dangerous and be forgotten faster any day of the week.

It takes a different kind of cat to last more than a short time in pro wrestling. You gotta be able to let things roll off you and not take them personally. This isn't New Jack stabbing a guy in a match for a shoot, it's three adults who agreed to a really strong, incredibly well done wrestling angle.

The Brain
    I think it just goes to show how incredibly effective the segment was. I was dubious about the stipulation when I heard about it but they couldn't have pulled it off better. It hit you in the gut to watch it in a way that wrestling can only rarely achieve. It evoked real emotion.