Thread: Dear Stan

Dear Stan

Dear Stan,

I knew the name "Marvel" way before I ever knew the signature "Stan Lee".

Growing up in the 90s, there's nowhere I can hide form the relentless 5pm cartoons of
    Spiderman,
    X-Men,
    Ironman,
    Batman, all that really awesome mind-blowing dream-scapes for the escapist in me.

Yeah, I was not a REAL comic fan. I didn't own any hard-copies of comics. I still don't.

Growing up,

I hated studying.

I was without a dad.

But I grew up with these superhero cartoons everyday at 5pm on TV
    and I adore everyone of them, Marvel or DC or whatever.

You are the Godfather, man. You're the shit.

Eventually I grew out of watching these cartoons, we all do, don't we? Or maybe not.

I never knew you were one of the biggest names, until the Marvel universe was literally reborn into explosions of billion dollar performances.

There you were, the rumored alien appearing in every movie. the Watcher.

The proud grandfather/creator/ GOD.

Always lurking, at your advanced age, hiding in pockets of gleeful cameos, in movies I have no doubt you were mighty proud of.

The name Stan Lee became known to me after so so many years since I departed from the world of superhero cartoons, until the day I watched the first Iron man movie. That was 2008.

I fell in love again.
    A new universe, and yet so strangely.... familiar.

After-all, no matter how much CGI paint job the industry throws on your creations, Stan, the unmistakable signature of
    blinded heroism and justified villainy,
    humanity and hope,
    love and hate,
    these themes,
    these masked heroes,

they all belong to you, and you alone.

One more thing, Stan. Beyond the Marvel cartoons, and the cinematic universe,
    you have brought forth something even more important.

You see, even though I grew out of my 90's cartoons, I never quite left my greatest entertainment quarry.

I knew the name "Marvel" way before I ever knew the signature "Stan Lee".

But...

I knew the name "WWF" way before I ever knew the name "Marvel".

Bright lights.
    Masks and without.
    Strong and powerful,
    Greek God physiques.
    Brightly-colored costumes.

Vampires and Demons.
    Giants and midgets.
    High-flyers and juggernauts.

Considered juvenile entertainment by outsiders,
    but beloved intensely, irrationally by fans.

Professional Wrestling IS Comic book on steroids. Literally. And figuratively. Almost move by move, theme by theme, the same thing.

In wrestling we have supermen, warrior women, your mysterious shadowy figures lurking in rafters, as well as the goofball characters that are just there to have some fun.

For every Superman we have John Cena.

For every Daredevil, you have Sting.

For every Juggernaut, you have Braun Strowman.

Digging deeper, for every Stan Lee you have a Vince McMahon.

The power fantasy morality tales unfolding in the ring play out the same as your comic panes.

Wrestling, just like comics, is what I call "Stan's Soap Opera".

Through that medium, you did far more than plug the next Marvel comic book. Through your pen, you created a philosophic viewpoint at life and human behavior that impacted, influenced and inspired every facet of entertainment, especially my first love, pro-wrestling.

Your imaginative power in crating a universe where it stands alone and different from the real world is what we call kayfabe. While your super heroes traverse through millions of multi-verses, our pro-wrestling industry creates a bubble where stories are told in similar fashion passionately. The appeal of over-powered beings rescuing mankind from dire circumstances always strikes me as completely parallel to perhaps Steve Austin hitting Vince McMahon with a stunner or CM Punk winning over John Cena in a Batman vs Superman showdown.

What about themes of redemption and corruption? Heroes become villains, and villains get redeemed.
    Wrestling has a long tradition of the "turn;" the moment where a wrestler's alignment switches,
    from bad to good,
    good to bad,
    or turning against both sides.

How many times have Earth's greatest heroes turned on each other, just like pro-wrestlers did?
    Brothers on brothers;
    family on family;
    tag partners on tag partners;
    heroes on heroes.

There's just too much common between your works and pro-wrestling.

This is why, I cannot begin to just imagine what the wrestling world would have been like without the influence and magic of your wild imagination.

Thank you, Stan Lee. Thank you.

“I sometimes feel a parallel to Clark Kent. Clean cut with glasses during the day and tights at night. I feel like a superhero in a sense, so having a secret identity seems fitting," said a wrestler. "Giving yourself a ring name is no different than giving yourself a super hero name.”

-fin-
    Last edited by JacobWrestledGod; 2 Weeks Ago at 04:28 AM.

LOP's part time glass ceiling DynamiteBillington's Avatar
    Nice work. I've often thought there are a lot of parallels between the two universes, this sums it up perfectly.

The Brain
    To me, wrestling has always been more comic book than pseudo-sport. I know there are those that disagree, but there's a reason Marvel owns the copyright to Hulk Hogan. Seeing that idea explored more and more deeply in modern wrestling has been the thing that has kept me invested, more than anything else.

Very nice piece, JWG, I'm right there with you on this stuff. And for what it's worth, I rewatched the 90s X-Men cartoon a few years back and had an absolute blast.

Good stuff here man, one line really caught my eye, "Professional Wrestling IS Comic book on steroids". You certainly talked at length about some comparisons which I completely agree with however it got me thinking more broadly about the structure. In comic books the heroes will exist in their own little world, fighting their own battles week in week out, telling a large story in very small chunks at a time. Then every now and again there will be a universe uniting threat that will see them all join together. THAT is exactly how wrestling should operate structuraly. Always telling a broader story even if you don't see it move massively every single week, always keeping conflict fresh and always building towards a big epic moment that will see the heroes and villans we have got to know over the months/years facing off together.

Also Stan Lee as The Watcher, that was a wiki rabbit hole I'm glad you sent me down, very cool little detail.

@Sir_Samuel

Thanks for the comments.

@SirSam: Good catch on the Watcher. Always fascinated by that film theory but now he's gone so i doubt it will ever be answered.

For some reason the title made me think of a fan. Nevertheless, the comparison to comic books is apt in that a ring name is exactly what a superheros alter ego is. Being in that ring is an entirely different world to that of the real one. You've got characters, actions, stories so there isn't much difference in the purest sense.

Good work.