Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    They didn't play 'badly' at all really, and defended well the whole game. They just weren't clinical enough to blow Wales away, and that gave them hope.

Wales actually looked very like England for most of that first hour but not being dead and buried allowed them to grow, cut out the errors, and turn it around.

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

OK so who do we have - Wales, Ireland, or England?

Strangely, England. I think Ireland will do one over Wales, but not enough to overcome the bonus points that England have mustered. I still feel overall, Wales have been a tad lucky, but then again their story is of one where they make great comebacks in the second half. I think England have been very good for 7 'halves', with the only bad half taking place in Cardiff.

Have Ireland peaked too soon ahead of the World Cup? Can't say I've been mightily impressed by them this tournament.

I've tried taking up column writing, check it out here!

Words from a Gooner #2: 7 Treatments for Wrestlemania Fever

I think the same almost exactly.

They either peaked too soon or they can't handle the pressure of being fancied.

Quote Originally Posted by For the love of Terry Funk View Post
    ... or they can't handle the pressure of being fancied.
    This is closer to my thinking. Seems they didn't like the favourites tag. But if that's the case, actually having this kind of setback might be just what they need heading into the world cup.

I have a funny feeling Wales are going to do the underwhelming grand slam, though full credit to them if they do turn over two more fancied sides.

Well done to Wales today. Ireland barely turned up though. Poor really, given their 2018.

Yeah, arguably (well, not really... pretty clear actually) Wales's finest performance of the tournament. That's got to have moved them up the odds come September.

In any case, regarding Ireland, they certainly appear on the downturn at the worst possible moment.

England vs Scotland was straight up weird. No idea how to even dissect that match and what it means for later on in the year...

I've tried taking up column writing, check it out here!

Words from a Gooner #2: 7 Treatments for Wrestlemania Fever

England vs Scotland was the most fun I’ve had in ages watching rugby. Utterly relaxed and watching an exhibition. It was great.

I still felt at halftime Wales could’ve lost to Ireland and they had some fight in them. I’m grateful I was wrong.

My liver has taken a battering as a result.

I can only assume that's because we're always more pessimistic about our own side. I said something to the affect of Ireland have to score next to even have any chance at half time, and when they came out and immediately starting making mistakes again, it struck me as it just wasn't going to be their day. Wales just don't concede enough points to give them a way back, something pointed out by Sam Warburton at half time. He's incidentally growing into quite a pundit, to go along with being a great player and probably the best northern hemisphere captain since Martin Johnson retired. Kind of irritating, really.

So... lots for Wales to be positive about going into the World Cup. Plenty for England, too, if they can work out how to be consistently tighter in defence. If they can figure out how to play like they did in the Ireland game consistently, the only side who can turn them over would be New Zealand. But if they play like they did in the second half in the Wales or Scotland games, they'll be lucky to make it to the quarter finals of the world cup, let alone beyond it.

Wow, it is going to be a hell of a World Cup. So many genuine contenders this year and no completely clear favourite.

Also I found this guy who does analysis of games that is pretty damn amazing:

Sounds like Rugby Australia are about to sack Folau. Big move if true, he's arguably the best player in the world.

Yeah it is an interesting one. QANTAS are a major sponsor and threatened to withdraw support last year when a similar thing happened so there is undoubtedly a lot of corporate pressure.

According to the ARU statement they couldn't even get in touch with him to hear the story behind the post so it seems he has just gone 'stuff it' posted what has probably been building up inside him for a while and then cut bait. I guess he probably has enough money to last the rest of his life, he has had a number of BIG contracts.

Big old blow to the Wallabies of course but with the kind of public scrutiny he will no doubt come under now it could be a good move to avoid just having the issue hovering around the entire World Cup year.

I think I agree with you there. Vunipola managed to get himself warned by England in the same incident, and I think that if it had been more than just a 'like' then we'd have had little choice but to follow your example. Good news for Nathan Hughes, but probably not for anyone else in the England camp. Still, your Union have set the moral high ground out early and so we'd really have to follow suit even though we're not always the same team without him.

Madness to think Leicester Tigers are mired in a relegation dogfight. That's like Man United being in the same position. Pity Shinobi isn't around to give us the full rundown of Gloucester's season, too. He had nothing but misery to talk about in the years he was a regular here, and now that he's gone they start winning! Though I imagine fatherhood has it's compensations, haha.

Anyone heard these rumours about England approaching Gatland to replace Eddie Jones after the World Cup?

Hahahaha I heard rumors about Garland and the Wallabies after the World Cup.

My guess is that he'll be linked to every single under performing major team until he signs somewhere.

Well he's now coaching the Lions again in 2021, quite the U-turn, but I wonder what effect that'll have on his national job prospects.

My bet is any major nation that has a bad world cup will still take whatever time off he wants for that as part of the deal, much the way Wales have always gone to Rob Howley for a few months.

Exeter beat my Saints. That means that they finish top. Reckon they might lose the grand final to Sarries again though

Big news, Marler is coming out of retirement for England, gives them a huge boost in the front row going into the rwc

England just beat Wales fairly comprehensively in the Quilter internationals. Ends their winning streak ahead of the world cup.

The Wallabies actually bet the All Blacks in a pretty comprehensive way for the first time in a long time. We may even have a chance of winning the Bledisloe Cup for the first time since we lost it in 2003 although we have to win at Eden Park where I don't think we've won in quite a while either.

Still things certainly look a whole lot rosier than they did even just a few months ago.

The Australians are always a dangerous side on paper, because the talent there is ridiculous, and the question mark is what happens if you can get the right 15 on to the field and if things click. 2015 shows that the Aussies don't need to do a lot in order to go very deep in a competition. Everyone will take a big lift out of the All Blacks having their first struggles for a decade but no one is going to get more of a lift than the Australians.

In short, no one in England will have been writing you off, and any realistic Welsh fans (all five of them) will be thrilled if they beat you at the Pool stage in September.

If it wasn't for the popularity of Rugby League down here boy would we have some players.

Australia does tend to come good in the World Cup, we've had quite competitive runs every year since we won in '99 except for the dismal 2007 campaign despite remaining fairly unconvincing in the years between Cups.

Seems like it is going to be one of the most competitive world cups in quite some time, there are a number of teams that have very strong chances (NZ, SA, Ireland, Wales, Eng) and a few that given the right circumstances could give things a real shake (Australia, France, even Argentina). In the leadup to most Cups I can remember there has been a clear favourite who has won it more often than not.

New Zealand still have to be clear favourites, but for the first time in two tournaments they are not prohibitive favourites anymore. But they are still less than 3/1 with anyone you want to look at. Looking at the odds, the next two back are England and South Africa, though I think both might be slightly inflated looking at them. Ireland and Wales round out the top five and then Australia are the last team priced as a competitive option.

Big drop off then to France at best 26/1, and Scotland and Argentina both at best 34/1.