Thread: Christmas Music

Christmas Music

Not quite December yet but it's all in the shops and on the TV, so I figure we might as well get a thread going to talk about Christmas music.

What are you already sick of? What do you look forward to hearing/singing all year?

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Already sick of... everything? I like Christmas, but if I could I would certainly ban Christmas music, or at least the annual oldies. It just bores me to death when you go shopping and you hear the same set of songs over and over again.

Ha, I'm still all right with most at this point. I'll be sick of Paul McCartney before too long though, and I've usually had enough of the ones that are always on in shops by the time the day itself rolls around. Only exception is the Pogues/McColl song, which is one of those 'non-Christmas Christmas songs'. I could listen to that in July.

Even the Pogues one has lost it's lustre for me. I straight up put my ipod on when shopping at Christmas just to escape it all.

Which is weird, because I love a Christmas film...

But anyway, I'll tolerate one listen to "All I want for Christmas", no more.

Yeah, I have limited patience with Mariah. It didn't seem to be such a huge thing when I was younger (compared to, say, Slade or Wizzard) but it's become one of the most played, and I'll be fed up of it by the end of the first week of December.

I don't actually go in many shops after mid-December for that very reason. Well, that and it's a fucking zoo out there.

True. My Xmas shopping is complete already, bar some bottles of wine and the inevitable march to the chocolate section.

But going back to music, is there any takers for Christmas number 1? Rage Against The Machine anyone?

Ha, that was great. Still makes me smile.

It's a lot harder to predict now that the X-Factor's ratings are in the shitter and it doesn't dominate the charts anymore. Been 3-4 years since their last #1, but it's not like they've even been coming close, so I don't see that changing.

As someone who works in a shopping center by the end of December all I want for Christmas is to never hear that song by Mariah Carey ever again.

Having said that there are some amazing Christmas songs out there. A band called Kings Kaleidescope that I know did an awesome album of updated old hymns a while back and Sufjan Stevens album Songs for Christmas is a great folky take on a lot of classics.

@Sir_Samuel

Straight No Chaser has awesome Christmas music.

George Ezra was covering that Shakin Stevens song live on the radio this morning, might be interesting if you like one or both of them