Thread: Spotify

Spotify

Thinking of taking the plunge and moving into the 21st century by joining up to Spotify or some similar service. I figure it might mean I end up listening to music more than I do currently, where it's basically just in the car if I'm going on a long drive.

Anyway, any advice, thoughts or discussion about the service or any competitor - particularly if it's any help in my decision to join up or not - welcome here!

"The worst moron is the one too stupid to realise they're a moron."

Spotify is the nuts. Pretty much make any sort of playlist with damn near any song you want. Cool thing is, though, thereís some algorithm that takes what you put into your playlists, then it creates a new weekly playlist for you which helps to discover new artists based on whatever genres you have in your original playlists. For instance, Iíve got just one mega playlist with everything from hip hop to current pop to punk rock. Each week, it creates a hip hop playlist, a punk rock playlist, etc.

The Brain
    Yeah, I'm all about Spotify. Great service.

Pay for the premium, though. Commercials get annoying. Plus, if youíre just not feeling certain songs on certain days... unlimited skips.

I have gone for it.... there's a promotion on at the moment of a few months of premium for a low price so I figure I might as well give it a go, and can cancel it if I don't end up using it much.

I donít know what the price is like over there, but for $10-12/month over here, you canít go wrong.

£9.99, which is probably about the same.

0.99p until March as a trial though...

The Brain
    By god, that's cheap! I just tolerate the ads at the moment, trying to save a bit of cash (too many wrestling streaming services!), but it's really not that much to get rid of them.

I'm kinda into it already. Found a few new bits I like, and dug up some whole albums were I just knew a song.

I don't know if I'm using it the way it was really designed because I don't do much with playlists or anything like that yet, but it's already working for me.

The Brain
    I just dump bands I like into a giant playlist, then weed out anything I'm not feeling. Whatever works for you!

I love Spotify, I got it a couple of years ago when I realised that I would buy an album roughly every month and instead of paying $10ish for one album a month I could just pay $10 for every single album ever each month. The maths made sense in my brain.

Did anyone else get their yearly wrap reports?

My top singer was Frank Turner but my top song was a relaxation track my wife listens to when she goes to bed. lol

The way I organise my playlists is by release year. I have folders for each decade and then within those folders each release year. Kind of anal and took a while to get everything I like in but it works well as you can play either by entire decade folders or each year.
    Last edited by SirSam; 12 Hours Ago at 07:06 AM.

@Sir_Samuel

Ha, I literally search for an artist, find an album and play it.

I'm trying to be as much of a luddite with it as I can be.

The similar artists thing is useful to find new things though. Good for me, I get bored with hearing the same things over and over.

Are they any notable songs not on spotify? Not really a music head but would be interested in trying it.

I wouldn't want to say 'no' categorically, but I've not searched for anything and not found it yet....

I think it has to with not only the artist not allowing their stuff on there (Taylor Swift refused to have her stuff on there for years; I'm thinking either JayZ or Kanye also refuse), but I believe certain record labels can refuse, as well. Like, one of my favorite bands as their first three albums on Spotify, but their fourth album that was released by a different label isn't on there. In general, though, you should be able to find most anything you want.

I looked into the question after i posted and i guess that Jay-z has his own streaming service in Tidel... but sounds like most of music taste would be available.

No Beatles I believe?